• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forrest Gump is the best movie.

Neith

Banned
I liked this movie when I was younger and was into a lot of dumb shit.

Aged horribly for me to the point of me not understanding why I liked it in the first place.

My dislike for it has nothing to do with its message. It's just a bad movie (IMO).

I don't think it is a bad film. It's a Hollywood film for sure, but it's well directed with great special effects and period pieces. The acting in general is very good throughout, so I'm not sure how you can just say it is a bad film all around.

You may not like the film, but it's certainly better than most "bad" films. I'm not even a huge fan of the film, but it's a good film IMO.

It's a maudlin piece of credulous mainstream boomer-worshipping horseshit.

It's underlying message is that even if you're dumb as a post, as long as you exhibit US values (enlist in the army, do what you're told, be Christian, salute the flag) you will be rewarded with fame, riches, children, and get to meet all the rockstars and even Presidents that walk the earth at the same time as you.

If you try to fight the system or get involved with the counterculture, like Jenny does, you will literally catch AIDS and die. Subtle.

The movie also can't resist making the Black Panthers into a hate group, which is probably exactly how white baby-boomers, by and for whom this movie was clearly made, saw them. To say nothing of portraying anti-war protestors like assholes (the president of the Berkeley chapter of the SDS smacks Jenny around at one point for fuck's sake - which I guess is cool with the Black Panthers, who glower at Forrest brandishing firearms while kicking him out of their meeting for daring to retaliate to a woman getting beat up).

In 1995 The National Fucking Review named it one of the "Best Conservative Movies" of all time, then in 2009, ranked it number four on its "25 Best Conservative Movies of the Last 25 Years" list.

Let's hear from them about how great this movie is!

Missed this post. Sums it up.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
im glad Frank Ocean re appropriated this movie for gay black dudes which i assume is what the OP is actually into

Neith

Banned
Missed this post. Sums it up.

To be honest I never thought of them as a hate group. They got mad that someone was starting shit on their territory. That is about it. Jenny was with them because they were the counter culture. Forrest did not hate them at all. He even apologizes to them about interrupting their group.

You guys read a couple articles, made some assumptions, and you are now going way off the deep end. This is like a college lit course analyzing shit until it dies.

I don't disagree that a couple things are problematic, but it's like you read an article about FG being loved by a conservative magazine and are now gung ho against it because some random publication likes the film. I bet they also have some other great films on their list. Who cares? It's a stupid conservative group. They can like what they want.

I'm also heavily into the counter culture of that era. My favorite authors and poets helped start that counter culture. But honestly, you guys are trying to make FG into a film that is smartly subversive, which is pretty crazy all told.

Jenny gets a disease and dies simply because they wanted a hugely emotional scene that reflected something about the times. Anything really. The film often dips into whatever bucket it feels like. Do you think Vietnam war vets all think that portrayal is accurate? Nothing is accurate in Forrest Gump. IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ACCURATE. And it worked for the most part.

Sure, why would anyone hyper-analyze anything, it's not like it has references to LBJ, Nixon, Vietnam, the SDS, Abbey Hoffman, the Black Panthers, etc. There's basically nothing to talk about here. Right?

When you depict Black Panthers and the SDS as woman-hitting assholes who look scary and always carry and display guns, that's just good fun. No reason to read anything into it you stupid liberals!

Besides, Forrest had a black friend, so.

Again, eyeroll. It's a movie about a dumb but good hearted man who inadvertently stumbles through major events of 20th century America. Framing the movie as some grand political statement is just tilting at windmills.

Neith

Banned
Again, eyeroll. It's a movie about a dumb but good hearted man who inadvertently stumbles through major events of 20th century America. Framing the movie as some grand political statement is just tilting at windmills.

It really is, because you are basically trying to convince us that Zemeckis and Co. are some huge conservative think tank that wants to derail America. It's preposterous. Like I said this reminds me of modern lit courses in any random college that overanalyze something until my eyeballs roll out of my head.

Miker

For what it's worth, I was introduced to this movie by my mom, a first generation Chinese woman, who loves this movie to death. She doesn't know anything about American politics, the Black Panthers, and most of the cultural touchstone moments that Forrest stumbles into in the movie. Some people simply like the drama and romance of a story that spans across decades. I can see the criticisms that people are bringing up in the thread, and they're valid, but my own personal experience with the movie leads me to tear up every time I watch it.

BadAss2961

The movie also can't resist making the Black Panthers into a hate group, which is probably exactly how white baby-boomers, by and for whom this movie was clearly made, saw them. To say nothing of portraying anti-war protestors like assholes (the president of the Berkeley chapter of the SDS smacks Jenny around at one point for fuck's sake - which I guess is cool with the Black Panthers, who glower at Forrest brandishing firearms while kicking him out of their meeting for daring to retaliate to a woman getting beat up).
This is putting a slant on things...

Jenny had one asshole bf in the SDS, sure. But part of her character was always drawing shit men, starting with her father. You can assume she's been with jerks from all walks of life.

As far as the Black Panthers were concerned... A few white people were causing drama at their party and were calmly shown the door. End of story. Jenny, Forrest, and asshole were of no concern to them otherwise.

If we're talking simpleton protagonist films, you're close, but Ernest Scared Stupid is by far the better film.

img_6455c3smq.gif

I'll raise you Billy madison.

MisterHero

People like to pick and choose what "side" this movie is made for but I feel there are intentionally multiple interpretations to every scene which is why I like it so much.

Neith

Banned
This is putting a slant on things...

Jenny had one asshole bf in the SDS, sure. But part of her character was always drawing shit men, starting with her father. You can assume she's been with jerks from all walks of life.

As far as the Black Panthers were concerned... A few white people were causing drama at their party and were calmly shown the door. End of story. Jenny, Forrest, and asshole were of no concern to them otherwise.

This is exactly the context of the Black Panther party. To Forrest it is just another gathering of people where a bad man is going to hit his precious Jenny. That is all there is to it really.

Certainly one of my favourites. Loved how imaginative and diverse they made the situations in the film.

ILM also made some fantastic sfx for it.

It's my wife and me's "best movie" together. I personally still have Once Upon a Time in America in the #1 spot but I wouldn't mind putting Gump on 2nd.

Man, it's been forever since I watched this film and only remember I used to love it, however after reading some of the analysis of it, I'm kinda curious to watch it again as I'm older and see if I see any of those things so I can hate it now. LOL

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Amazing film.

The American boastfulness gets a little old, though.

I really love Lieutenant Dan.

I didn't see this movie until around a year ago I kind of wish I didn't. It clearly wasn't made for people with progressive views and its portrayal of people with mental disabilities is extremely dated.

Holy shit, I didn't think there was anything political about it when I saw it - I just thought it had great storytelling and it fused everything together really well.

Kremzeek

i wish i could watch again for the first time.

i remember watching and almost turning it off - i was like WTF is this crap?

but then the movie just keeps going and going and becomes a bigger better movie.

totally won me over. i'm still amazed that executives didn't meddle with it because the potential to completely ruin it is so high.

traveler

Not Wario
No Forrest is actually to most racist part of the movie! Not Forrest himself but how he is depicted in the move. Basically Forrest was a way to sanitize the Black experience and sometime the Black peoples achievements for white audiences.

Black people being lynched? We'll just put a white face on those victims

Black men dominating in football and other sports? That becomes more palatable with a nice white face

Didn't Elvis basically still his style from Black people? Nope,it was a little white kid he ripped off.

Hell even the people that actually reported the Watergate break-ins was black. They gave that to Forrest Too

Don't even get me started on how this movie treats woman.

I can assure you that there are plenty of white southern football stars and white assholes bullying other white kids in the South. Those don't strike me as racist in the least bit.

Changing the source of Elvis' style and the Watergate reporting seems like a slightly tone-deaf mistake, though, and, more damning still, the Black Panther scene is pretty telling.

They don't evict the white guy who actually started shit by slapping a non-violent woman, they show the victim and the man who stood up for her the door. There's no positive read on that scene; it's clear- between the results of Jenny's life spent in the counterculture and the little glimpses like that that we have of it- that the filmmakers do not respect the position of those fighting for various liberal causes in that time.

I haven't seen the movie in years, but remember enjoying it a lot as a kid. I suspect I could still find some fun in it if I turned my brain off, but I recall enough that I'm sure it'd be at least a little uncomfortable.

Nategc20

Banned
I will never ever ever not ever understand how Shawshank Redemption got nothing from the Academy Awards that year. In fact, I cold heartily believe that any other year it would had swept, but pulp fiction and Forrest gumb was hard to pass I suppose given the likability of both Tarintino and Tom Hanks.

It's really well made and there are sections, specific character arcs within it that I do kinda like but thematically it's fucking insipid for sure. Also fuck all the way off with the 'why are you reading so much into it, just have fun' anti-intellectual bullshit, that attitude is why we get media that oppresses people in the first place. 'You're not supposed to critically analyse Birth of a Nation, it's all just fun at the movies, you're reading too much into it if you think it's racist', 'stop thinking about Triumph of the Will, just enjoy it man'

sans_pants

avec_pénis
so much willful ignorance in this thread

"its just a silly movie, no politics involved" as they tread through some of the most politically charged times in recent american history

Number_6

I always saw it as a fairy tale. No more, no less.

Sure, it seems to be quite a bit right-leaning in hindsight. But I see it as relatively harmless. I sure as shit wasn't inspired to, like, magically win at ping-pong/shrimping/running through sheer innocence and perseverence.

so much willful ignorance in this thread

"its just a silly movie, no politics involved" as they tread through some of the most politically charged times in recent american history

Seriously. I think some people need to start reading "Your Fave is Problematic" and start giving a shit what messages are in the stuff they consume.

8byte

Banned
Just gave it another rewatch because of this thread.

Still holds up.

Edit: Oh, went through and read the thread. Can't we just enjoy a movie? Maybe?

Loki

Count of Concision
Forrest Gump is a movie that I fell completely out of love with as I got older. Its basically a love letter to a fictionalized Conservative viewpoint of America.

And its pretty fucking racist and sexist and anti-liberal too.

lol. Never change, GAF.

Top Bottom