• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filming begins on Godzilla 2, synopsis and cast revealed

https://www.warnerbros.com/studio/n...ictures-monsterverse-kicks-gear-next-godzilla

The new story follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient super-species—thought to be mere myths—rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity’s very existence hanging in the balance.
The film, which begins principal photography today, is being directed by Michael Dougherty (“Krampus”), and stars Oscar nominees Vera Farmiga (“Up in the Air,” “The Conjuring” films), and Ken Watanabe (“The Last Samurai”) and Sally Hawkins (“Blue Jasmine”), both reprising their “Godzilla” roles; Kyle Chandler (“The Wolf of Wall Street,” “Manchester by the Sea”); Millie Bobby Brown (“Stranger Things”) in her feature film debut; Bradley Whitford (“Get Out”); Thomas Middleditch (HBO’s “Silicon Valley”); Charles Dance (HBO’s “Game of Thrones”); O’Shea Jackson Jr. (“Straight Outta Compton”); Aisha Hinds (“Star Trek Into Darkness”); and Golden Globe nominee Zhang Ziyi (“Memoirs of a Geisha,” “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”).

Sephzilla

giphy-downsized-large.gif

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
That's...not good. I thought there would be a movie for each. This sounds like a clusterfuck.

Sephzilla

Oh geez they're doing all 3 from the start?

Yeah, Kong is going to feel like a step down after for Godzilla after this movie.

Ghidorah should be a third movie villain for the obvious "3" marketing you can associate with the monster.

Gravidee

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Would be nice if they had hired an Asian male leading character. Watanabe is cool but he will show up say 4 lines and leave.

Krampus has an issue of believing that it's more clever and funnier than it really is, but I still enjoy it. Bring the goods Daugherty.

The should have stopped Rodan and kept Mothra and King Ghidorah. Cast is looking strong though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its got a lot to live up to considering Shin Godzilla was the best Godzilla movie I've seen in a long fucking time.

Gravidee

Hopefully the ending won't be so pitch dark that I can't see shit.

This was my primary complaint about the first movie. I get that the MUTOs had their EMP thing, but that doesn't mean the fires or moonlight couldn't have illuminated the scene better. Hopefully we get some daytime fights out of this next film.

Sephzilla

If you want to do a Ghidorah movie they should strip out Rodan and Mothra and just go straight up Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. The last time they did this we got one of the best movies in the franchise

Superflat

Oh, I didn't know Michael Dougherty was directing, that's a plus. The cast looks crazy too.

All these stars and monster debuts screams clusterfuck and many of these actors will probably end up being background set dressing, but I'm def more interested now than I was before.

Snaku

Banned
That's...not good. I thought there would be a movie for each. This sounds like a clusterfuck.

Ghidroah the Three Headed Monster featured Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan fighting King Ghidorah. This is literally a remake of that.

It's not like making the Avengers before making Captain America, Thor, etc. These are giant monsters that don't have particularly complicated backstories. Five minutes of human exposition is literally all the setup required.

Personally I like this approach. They're not assuming these movies are going to be smash hits, and opting for a slow burn. Screw that, you need to blow people's faces off right out the gate. Kong: Skull Island was a good start in that direction. Really have high hopes that Dougherty will bring his A game on KOTM, so audiences will be super hyped for Godzilla vs Kong. That movie is really where this franchise's future hinges on. If KOTM can set it up, and GvK can knock it out, we got ourselves a real cinematic universe.

People unironically claiming you need setup movies?

C'mon guys.

Beside the fact this movie basically already happened once and all the setup was more or less contained WITHIN that movie, we're not dealing with a particularly complicated/robust mythology that audiences aren't going to be able to digest.

People been asking for big fat professional wrestling monsterfites since 1999. It now appears Mr. Daugherty is going to be providing that exact thing.

I mean - I understand the "conventional widsom" that suggests you need to step people through the complicated origin stories of giant irradiated monsters buried under the earth's surface one movie at a time, but you probably don't really need it at all, and the actual wisdom contained in that "conventional wisdom" isn't necessarily wise by default.

These complaints read less like an assessment of the film's potential quality and more like a disdainful assessment of moviegoers in general.

"Sounds like it's gonna be a clusterfuck" = people both making and watching these movies are too stupid to do it right/understand it well.

Jombie

The new story follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah.

0e3.png

Wasn't there some licensing issues that kept certain monsters from appearing in Edwards' movie? After the awful human drama of that film, I welcome a kaiju clusterfuck.

Fuckin LOL at people seriously suggesting these are too many monsters for one movie.

Yeah, Rodan and Mothra got their own movies back in the day, and they were hot garbage. Edwards' 2014 Godzilla gave audiences all the backstory they really need on these things.

I must know the origin story and psychological motivations of these monsters. In particular, I want to see every stage of of the metamorphosis of a giant silk worm sack of shit into the majestic beauty that is Mothra.

JdFoX187

Banned
People unironically claiming you need setup movies?

C'mon guys.

Beside the fact this movie basically already happened once and all the setup was more or less contained WITHIN that movie, we're not dealing with a particularly complicated/robust mythology that audiences aren't going to be able to digest.

People been asking for big fat professional wrestling monsterfites since 1999. It now appears Mr. Daugherty is going to be providing that exact thing.

I mean - I understand the "conventional widsom" that suggests you need to step people through the complicated origin stories of giant irradiated monsters buried under the earth's surface one movie at a time, but you probably don't really need it at all, and the actual wisdom contained in that "conventiona wisdom" isn't necessarily wise by default.

These complaints read less like an assessment of the film's potential quality and more like a disdainful assessment of moviegoers in general.

"Sounds like it's gonna be a clusterfuck" = people both making and watching these movies are too stupid to do it right/understand it well.

I was going to say something along these lines, but this just sums it up perfectly. You don't need a half dozen fucking films to set up a bunch of characters before you have a clash movie. Hell, before Godzilla vs. King Kong was even mentioned, Gareth Edwards announced Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah would be featured in Godzilla 2. So this isn't Warner Bros. chasing Marvel money or any dumb shit like that.

Goddamn, sometimes it feels like some people think Marvel invited popcorn film making.
Wasn't there some licensing issues that kept certain monsters from appearing in Edwards' movie? After the awful human drama of that film, I welcome a kaiju clusterfuck.

Rumor was Toho didn't want to license any of its other monsters out because they weren't sure how the film would turn out. Never heard confirmation one way or another.

Top Bottom