• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

FiRez

xinoart said:
Easy solution: Google for PS3 blu-ray laser replacement. That's how I replaced my laser. It gives the steps on how to take the drive apart and put it back together. It's a really simple fix since you know you can already do a reflow. Hopefully he didn't bugger anything up with the drive. Good luck. ;)

Thanks for the tip :D

Returners

Question: So my Blu-Ray disc drive is dying (not dead) (OG 60GB)

If I send it in, will I still get an OG back? Does anyone know the situation on those right now?

(Also, should I just get a fricking Slim?)

JaseMath

Returners said:

If I send it in, will I still get an OG back? Does anyone know the situation on those right now?

Unless you really care about BC, I'd go slim if not just for the piece of mind. I have an 80GB that I think might die...and it was just replaced by Sony not three months ago. Phat boy, you're so loud...! :*(

paparazzo

Returners said:

Yes, they will send you a refurbished console that is the same model as your dying one.

venom2124

Not sure where else to post my problem, so i guess this thread is as good as any. I have a 60 gb PS3 that I purchased about a month or two after launch. For about the past year, I will sometimes get a magenta screen when playing DVDs and Blu-rays. The movie will still be watchable, but the whole screen is magenta colored. This does not happen with my 360 or cable, and my PS3 and PS2 games play fine.

I called Sony about it, and they told me to do a hard reset. I did and it worked for a day. After that, the magenta screen came back. Sometimes I need to back out of the BD or DVD 3 or 4 times before getting the correct color onscreen. I'm curious if anyone has heard or experienced this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

expy

Banned
venom2124 said:
Not sure where else to post my problem, so i guess this thread is as good as any. I have a 60 gb PS3 that I purchased about a month or two after launch. For about the past year, I will sometimes get a magenta screen when playing DVDs and Blu-rays. The movie will still be watchable, but the whole screen is magenta colored. This does not happen with my 360 or cable, and my PS3 and PS2 games play fine.

I called Sony about it, and they told me to do a hard reset. I did and it worked for a day. After that, the magenta screen came back. Sometimes I need to back out of the BD or DVD 3 or 4 times before getting the correct color onscreen. I'm curious if anyone has heard or experienced this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Did you try using your composite cables to see if the problem could be duplicated on those?

venom2124

expy said:
Did you try using your composite cables to see if the problem could be duplicated on those?

Hmmm. I've always had the PS3 hooked up via HDMI. Is it possible that there is a problem with the HDMI wire? My 360 uses composite but never tried it with my PS3.

xinoart

Banned
venom2124 said:
Hmmm. I've always had the PS3 hooked up via HDMI. Is it possible that there is a problem with the HDMI wire? My 360 uses composite but never tried it with my PS3.

Sounds very plausible. I had similar issues with my PS3 but I found out it had to do with the HDMI port on the tv itself. So it could either be the port on the tv or even the cable. This is all just guessing of course I don't know much. ;)

Returners

Well I thought my blu-ray drive is dying, but I just played 2 hours worth of DVDs nonstop and it was fine.

The only time where it fails is when I'm playing games, then the discs spin weird. Is it my drive or is it software related?

tirant

Returners said:
Well I thought my blu-ray drive is dying, but I just played 2 hours worth of DVDs nonstop and it was fine.

The only time where it fails is when I'm playing games, then the discs spin weird. Is it my drive or is it software related?

Drive. Playing DVDs requires a different wavelenght from your drive. Try to watch a BR movie.

xinoart

Banned
3dmodeler said:
Is there any vids of the reflow technique done on the new PS3 slim?

Why would you need something like that? Reflowing the original PS3s has one purpose. You melt the solder enough that it reseats the chips on the motherboard to make better contacts. The slim isn't even 2 weeks old yet. Why would you relow a perfectly great system and destroy the warranty when you can just take it to the store (since EVERYONE should still be covered by a 30-day return policy) or sending it to sony. Reflowing is for people outside of the warranty and those who don't want to pay a blanket payment of $150 to Sony. *shakes head*

Mjunter

I just got my ps3 60GB back from being repaired. It had a game stuck in the system and of course it comes back without it. After talking with a service rep, he ultimately told me there was nothing they can do as the service center recorded that they had shipped the game back.

Why would you design a system where the user cannot manually take out the game somehow (without voiding warranty)? And why when you are returning a game do you put it in a dvd slip outside the wrappings where it can fall out and slip through the package? At least that is what I imagined what happened unless someone just decided to keep my copy of Killzone 2 over there.

I guess in hindsight I should have took apart the system and got my game out before getting in repaired since I was out of warranty anyway. But I wasn't so sure they would even service it if it looked like it has been tampered with.

So thanks Sony for not only deleting all my ps3 and ps2 saves and such (which I was kinda prepared for), and screwing me out of a $60 game. That was $150 well spent there.

YoungHav

Banned
PS3 stopped reading discs again but I've got two questions: 1)does anyone know what direction the PS3 spins discs, and 2) is there any pics of the PS3's disc drive, I wanna know where the lens is located (assuming right).

I have a feeling the disc doesn't spin and it may not be the lens thats the problem.

I've had a couple of instances where I've quit out of a game from the XMB menu, and it locks on a black screen. I can't get the XMB back, and holding the on/off and eject button doesn't do anything either, I have to turn it off at the back to restart.

Is this a symptom of a larger problem? Or just one of the PS3's quirks?

rmecgn

Neo Member
Zozobra said:
I recently received my replacement laser from gadgetresurrection and it is one with a white clip. Is it true that the white clip'ed ones are high failure rate knock-offs and that the high quality replacement lasers will have a brown clip?

That is what I've heard, but I'm not 100% sure that it is a fact. My laser broke in April of this year, and when I opened it up it had a white clip. I replaced it with a brown clip laser and it's been fine ever since. I purchased it from this seller on ebay:

http://myworld.ebay.com/overstockdistributing/

Dragon

Banned
lastplayed said:
I've had a couple of instances where I've quit out of a game from the XMB menu, and it locks on a black screen. I can't get the XMB back, and holding the on/off and eject button doesn't do anything either, I have to turn it off at the back to restart.

I don't know that it's a symptom of a larger problem, but I haven't had a similar issue. Now I did have weird issues a few months ago with certain PSN games freezing while loading (MKII, etc) and redownloading them did the trick.

Zozobra

rmecgn said:
That is what I've heard, but I'm not 100% sure that it is a fact. My laser broke in April of this year, and when I opened it up it had a white clip. I replaced it with a brown clip laser and it's been fine ever since. I purchased it from this seller on ebay:

http://myworld.ebay.com/overstockdistributing/

Ahh damn, I had originally ordered from them since they were in Canada but they were out of stock. The seller I bought mine from was what the guy recommended in that first link you posted for me (thanks btw), and I was comfortable ordering from him since the pictures on eBay clearly showed a laser with a brown clip.

So your original PS3 laser had the white clip? I've been without a PS3 for so long that I'm tempted to install this one I received, but if I knew for sure that it was of inferior quality, I'd definitely take the time to send it back to the seller.

rmecgn

Neo Member
Zozobra said:
Ahh damn, I had originally ordered from them since they were in Canada but they were out of stock. The seller I bought mine from was what the guy recommended in that first link you posted for me (thanks btw), and I was comfortable ordering from him since the pictures on eBay clearly showed a laser with a brown clip.

So your original PS3 laser had the white clip? I've been without a PS3 for so long that I'm tempted to install this one I received, but if I knew for sure that it was of inferior quality, I'd definitely take the time to send it back to the seller.

I'm not sure if you saw it, but in that thread that I linked, a guy from the gadgetresurrection site posted this:

This is William with Gadget Resurrection (The Gamer's Fix), if you received the white clip version and prefer the brown clip version I can swap them out for you. I do carry both in stock. However both types of lasers come from my same supplier, and are of the same quality. I personally prefer the white clip as the clip seems sturdier, however a lot of people have had a poor experience with the white clip version. I think this is more do to the source of the lasers, than the clip version. I do test each one before they ship to try to ensure that a working laser arrives, however they are extremely sensitive. Also if anyone has an issue with a laser ordered from my company please let me know, as I will cover return shipping cost, and ship out the replacement via Priority Mail. Thank You

In my opinion, just to be on the safe side, I would ask them to swap the white clip with a brown clip...

Zozobra

Yeah, I did see that actually and I've been in contact with GR and again he assured me that they were of the same quality. Based on his feedback I'm willing to accept that. I installed the laser and it works like a charm thus far, but I'm gonna put it through it's paces over the next few days and see how things work out.

For the record, he has been nothing but professional in my dealings with him so far.

rmecgn

Neo Member
Zozobra said:
Yeah, I did see that actually and I've been in contact with GR and again he assured me that they were of the same quality. Based on his feedback I'm willing to accept that. I installed the laser and it works like a charm thus far, but I'm gonna put it through it's paces over the next few days and see how things work out.

For the record, he has been nothing but professional in my dealings with him so far.

It's nice to hear of a company providing quality customer service. I know how it feels to have a dead console, so best of luck with the new laser!!!

lastplayed said:

OK this has happened three times in the last few days, twice when I've quit Far Cry 2 from the XMB. I hear a quick double-beep from the PS3, then it locks to a black screen. Both blue and green lights are still on, as is the controller, but the only way to do anything is to turn it off at the back.

It's starting to annoy me now. :mad:

sarcoa

Launch 60gig took a shit last night. I was watching a movie, then it turned itself off. Tried to turn it back on, couple of beeps, yellow light, then a flashing redlight. Googled that shit and, indeed, I am fucked (also Netflix is not getting their bluray of Milk back).

I suppose the debate for a $150 repair or a $300 new slim is a common one, no?

sarcoa said:
Launch 60gig took a shit last night. I was watching a movie, then it turned itself off. Tried to turn it back on, couple of beeps, yellow light, then a flashing redlight. Googled that shit and, indeed, I am fucked (also Netflix is not getting their bluray of Milk back).

The $150 would be for a replacement one from Sony, not a repair. There are repair shops on ebay that'll reflow the solder for about half that, and they seem to hold up pretty well. I'd only go that route if there is data on your console you are looking to save.

Assuming you don't care about PS2 BC, I'd probably shell out the $150 to get a replacement one from Sony, and then sell it since full BC PS3s still command a pretty good premium it says. What you make off it alone would pay for a slim.

sarcoa said:

This same shit just happened to me tonight while starting a second playthrough of Batman. Of course that is game that is stuck in the machine. I guess I will call Sony tomorrow to get my coffin sent to me. I am seriously debating getting a Slim now. By the way, this was a 60 GB launch unit as well.

Blablurn

cjtiger300 said:
This same shit just happened to me tonight while starting a second playthrough of Batman. Of course that is game that is stuck in the machine. I guess I will call Sony tomorrow to get my coffin sent to me. I am seriously debating getting a Slim now. By the way, this was a 60 GB launch unit as well.

damn guys. stories like this make me buy a ps3 slim this week :(

polyh3dron said:
Flashing Red Light here on a launch 60GB. I put on Arkham Asylum and 5 minutes later it shuts down with a flashing red light. :( :( :(

Wow, me too Poly! This sucks! Seems like a bunch of the launch models are dying lately!

Decided to order a new PS3 Slim! I will take apart my 60 GB unit to retrieve my Batman Arkham Asylum game and to see if I can fix it. If I can fix this sucker I am going to sell this biatch!

Piggus

It seems the solder holding one of the BGAs to the mobo on my PS3 has become too weak as all the original flux has burned away. After a reflow it only lasts a day or two, so I ordered some new flux a couple days ago. Does anyone have experience with flux on the PS3? If you've used it, how long has your PS3 lasted since then?

Intruder_qc

Neo Member
I forgot about this thread and though I will never post in this one...

Well guess what?

My 60gb "fat" pass away during the night 2 week-end ago :-(. I didnt get any warning or any sign of its impending death like an YLOD or something similar. Strangely it dies on the 30th of august just 2 days before the official slim launch... hum coincidence or is it that Sony had a killswitch in it?

How did I found out it was dead? Well the night before it happen I had played the demo of Batman : Arkam Asylum and turn it off like I usually do by pressing the touch sensitive button in the front. It has close down normally without anything special. Then on the next day I went downstair to reboot my silly d-link router (it does this once in a while). Instead of going back upstair on the computer to check if the network was up I decide to turn on my PS3 to check the network status. Press the button... wait... nothing... no noise, no signal... Press again... nothing. But then I realise at that point something was odd... how come the standby red light isn't even on. Oh oh that's not a good sign, so I though maybe my wife or in-laws in visit had turn it off for some reason with the switch in the back. Check and it was still on :-(, the power bar (with surge protection of course) was on also :-(. Then I tried to turn it off, turn it on... still nothing. Tried different switch, even switch power cable just in case and nothing :-(. I then declared it as clinically dead :-(.

After checking Sony website for repair, they were going to charge me $169 + tx (Canadian price) and can't guarantee ill get the same unit back and/or the same model.
I then check to see what could be the problem and from my reading it pointed out that the power supply have died. I look around for pricing and found it wasn't too expensive and could easily be replaced.

So I went forward with the autopsy to verified that the power supply was indeed dead. And it was indeed, since the power (120v) was reaching the input of it, but they were no 12v or 5v at any of the output.

Now I have a little dilemma on to which power supply to use as a replacement. Mine is ZSSR539IA which is similar to the APS-226. Several people and sellers were recommending the newer APS-231 as it more efficient and produce less heat then previous model. Anyone replace their power supply in their 60gb "fat" PS3 with a APS-231?

Thanks for your collaboration in advance.

Kintaco

My 60GB one seems to be dying on me, I tried starting up a game of madden just to download the roster update and my PS3 turned off and did they yellow light, then the blinking red light. However, the PS3 still turns on and I can get to the XMB, but it seems whenever I start the game after a few minutes its turns off. Is there a glimmer of hope since I can still get into the XMB or am I fucked?

expy

Banned
Kintaco said:
My 60GB one seems to be dying on me, I tried starting up a game of madden just to download the roster update and my PS3 turned off and did they yellow light, then the blinking red light. However, the PS3 still turns on and I can get to the XMB, but it seems whenever I start the game after a few minutes its turns off. Is there a glimmer of hope since I can still get into the XMB or am I fucked?
Try asking Sony. Never heard of something like that. Can you launch a non-disc based game?

Wow, seems these 60 GB are dropping like flies. I am super pissed right now as I just found out that my PS3 Slim order from Dell was delayed until 10/1/2009! Fuck!

SOLDIER

My 20gb died last night, hooray.

I'm filling out the form right now, but I wanted to ask: Has anyone had their HDD date formatted or erased? The Sony rep said I had to leave the hard drive in the system, but also told me the data shouldn't be erased.

Fortunately I can back up the data on my PC, but I wanted to double check.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yeah... im going to buy a new one.
R.I.P Elizabeth.

Remember kids: If you fix the YLOD you are only giving a few more weeks of life. Its going to die anyway.

rexor0717

Well, I'm planning on getting a Slim, but my KZ2 disk is still in my 60 gig. Am I best off just forgetting about KZ2 since I have no knowledge on how to properly dismantle the PS3? Would it be likely that I would damage the disk if I were to just try and rip open the PS3? (I don't need to preserve the PS3 at all).

YoungHav

Banned
^^ you can do it easily w/out damaging the disc. Just need a good screwdriver set and pliers.

Anyone thats replaced their blu ray lens, what lens do you suggest putting in? I've seen the model Sony uses for sale but wouldn't that be counterintuitive since them shits are faulty anyway? Help!

I have a 1st gen backwards compatible 80GB.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I need opinions here. I've bitched on this forum before about having issues with KZ2 and and LBP freezing. I've experienced freezing with Home (1st time I tried to boot it up) and NBA 2K9. Everything else I have (close to 50 games) plays fine. Aslo when these games freeze, they lock up the system, no XBM, no anything. At the same time, theres no yellow light or red light.

So here's my dilemna. I honestly can do without either of these games, but I'm paranoid that other Sony 1st party titles may have the same problem. I'd signed up to have my PS3 repaired and I've heard of some people who have just had their's repaired vs replaced, which is what I would prefer since I have a lot of backup data that would be a pain in the ass to redownload (and some things won't transfer at all). I can get this unit either serviced or replaced and I might have a working unit with no freezing problems, or its possible one of these DIY methods mentioned here, like replacing the lens, might help.

Okay Gaf, what do you think I should do? (BTW this is a 20gb unit with B/C, I have almost 300 PS2 games, so BC is important).

MoxManiac

truly101 said:
I need opinions here. I've bitched on this forum before about having issues with KZ2 and and LBP freezing. I've experienced freezing with Home (1st time I tried to boot it up) and NBA 2K9. Everything else I have (close to 50 games) plays fine. Aslo when these games freeze, they lock up the system, no XBM, no anything. At the same time, theres no yellow light or red light.

So here's my dilemna. I honestly can do without either of these games, but I'm paranoid that other Sony 1st party titles may have the same problem. I'd signed up to have my PS3 repaired and I've heard of some people who have just had their's repaired vs replaced, which is what I would prefer since I have a lot of backup data that would be a pain in the ass to redownload (and some things won't transfer at all). I can get this unit either serviced or replaced and I might have a working unit with no freezing problems, or its possible one of these DIY methods mentioned here, like replacing the lens, might help.

Okay Gaf, what do you think I should do? (BTW this is a 20gb unit with B/C, I have almost 300 PS2 games, so BC is important).

I sent my 20gb to Sony after YLOD and got the same 20gb back, this was a couple months ago. You'll lose your data regardless, though.

sarcoa said:

Exactly what happened with me. Had 60Gb and was well looked after, but after a friends' 60Gb bricked and mine refused to shut itself off one time, I decided to trade.

All the features like BC and media slots - I wasn't using these enough to justify risking a £130 repair fee somewhere down the line. Besides, Game (uk) were offering £180 for 60Gb's when traded in against a slim. SOLD!

Edit for clarity: PS3 was still working fine when I traded in - I'm just paranoid!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
MoxManiac said:
I sent my 20gb to Sony after YLOD and got the same 20gb back, this was a couple months ago. You'll lose your data regardless, though.

Really? I was under the impression that you could back up and do a full restore as long as it was on the same console. I just upgraded my harddrive to 250 gb, did the back up and restore, everything carried over.

Top Bottom