• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•22-24•17 - Return of the Kingsman, IT floats down a spot, Ninjago blocked

kswiston

The Exorcist was re-released a bunch of times, so it didn't really make $200M in 1973.

Box Office Mojo doesn't track re-issues prior to 1982. It just lumps the LTD gross for films before that date.

Isn't that kinda disappointing for Kingsman? First one was completely unknown and got good buzz afterwards, you'd think a sequel would be stronger. And given the word of mouth, I can't see it having the same legs.
Who would have thought IT would be so strong on the third week in opposition. I think the Kingsman showing is a little disappointing but legs will be good.

GSR

Woof, Ninjago. I haven't kept up with Lego that closely for a few years now but I thought Ninjago was still pretty strong with younger audiences. Maybe it's finally showing its age.

kswiston

Woof, Ninjago. I haven't kept up with Lego that closely for a few years now but I thought Ninjago was still pretty strong with younger audiences. Maybe it's finally showing its age.

There are already dozens of episodes of the Ninjago tv series on Netflix. I think that it can be difficult to get people/parents to shell of cinema prices for something that they associate with a television series.

Slayven

There are already dozens of episodes of the Ninjago tv series on Netflix. I think that it can be difficult to get people/parents to shell of cinema prices for something that they associate with a television series.

Esepcially since the movie looked liked a remaster of the first 2 seasons

I watched the show.

and the Chimera the kinda follow up

How is It's gross vs exorcist when adjusted for inflation?

I really wish we went to a total tickets sold type way when calculating this.

How is It's gross vs exorcist when adjusted for inflation?

I really wish we went to a total tickets sold type way when calculating this.

Way off, The Exorcist is pegged at close to a billion when adjusted for inflation. Much like Gien with the Wind, the number of butts in he seats for The Exorcist will never been matched by another horror film. It was a cultural phenomenon.

kswiston

Way off, The Exorcist is pegged at close to a billion when adjusted for inflation. Much like Gien with the Wind, the number of butts in he seats for The Exorcist will never been matched by another horror film. It was a cultural phenomenon.

The Exorcist definitely sold more tickets than IT, but all of the adjusted figures on BOM prior to 1980 are varying degrees of BS, and shouldn't be taken at face value.

The Godfather held the title for highest grossing film of all time domestically until Jaws blew it away about 2 months after its release in 1975. The Godfather came out before The Exorcist. At a minimum, $60M of that "1972 gross" attributed to the Exorcist by BOM was made after summer 1975 during various re-issues. All of that was adjusted wrong. Pretty significantly too, given that average ticket prices went up 25% from 1972 to 1976. By 1980, ticket prices averaged 58% higher than 1972.

Ticket inflation is much slower now. Average ticket costs have gone up 12-13% since AVATAR.

EDIT: The Godfather was 1972 and Exorcist was 1973! Still the general point stands.

Tookay

WB probably blew whatever chance they had at a Lego franchise by taking so long to capitalize off the first movie, doing too much in one year, and not doing the follow-ups correctly on top of that.

I think they were showing Ninjago trailers in front of Lego Batman and I was already feeling fatigued by that point.

The Exorcist definitely sold more tickets than IT, but all of the adjusted figures on BOM prior to 1980 are varying degrees of BS, and shouldn't be taken at face value.

The Godfather held the title for highest grossing film of all time domestically until Jaws blew it away about 2 months after its release in 1975. The Godfather came out before The Exorcist. At a minimum, $60M of that "1972 gross" attributed to the Exorcist by BOM was made after summer 1975 during various re-issues. All of that was adjusted wrong. Pretty significantly too, given that average ticket prices went up 25% from 1972 to 1976. By 1980, ticket prices averaged 58% higher than 1972.

Ticket inflation is much slower now. Average ticket costs have gone up 12-13% since AVATAR.

EDIT: The Godfather was 1972 and Exorcist was 1973! Still the general point stands.

Even So it's ridiculous when these records that really mean nothing keep falling.

J_Viper

I'm going to theater alone for the first time because I'm a bit upset and I need something to take my mind off things and I'm not sure if I should watch Kingsman it IT

Wanted to check out Mother, but it starts too late : (

I'm going to theater alone for the first time because I'm a bit upset and I need something to take my mind off things and I'm not sure if I should watch Kingsman it IT

Did anything happen? Why are you upset?

snap

Banned

If you need something fun and "opium for the masses"-y, watch Kingsman

Whatever movie you end up going to I hope it makes you feel better.

I got curious and checked how Lego Batman did.

Wow, it did less then I would've imagined. Then again, to me it is the most forgettable movie I've seen this year.

Watch mother to keep your mind on something else (whether or not you like it)

It is entertaining as well if you want a good laugh. (Uh the movie IT, but that applies to mother as well to an extent)

Kingsman also has done very well overseas as to be expected. I'm currently predicting over 400m WW for it, which should be enough for a third installment, hopefully.

Ninjago did poorly, but WB shouldn't have tried to milk the Lego brand as much as they do. They would be wiser to spread the films out. Like everyone I'm expecting a drop for The Lego Movie 2.

The Exorcist was re-released a bunch of times, so it didn't really make $200M in 1973.

Box Office Mojo doesn't track re-issues prior to 1982. It just lumps the LTD gross for films before that date.

The Exorcist made over $66.3 million in rentals or $128m or so, give or take in 1972. In terms of tickets sold, that's still an absurdly huge amount for a horror film, nonetheless. It doesn't take away from its accomplishments. Plus re-releases do show how much longevity it had as a film.

snap

Banned
Kingsman also has done very well overseas as to be expected. I'm currently predicting over 400m WW for it, which should be enough for a third installment, hopefully.

Ninjango did poorly, but WB shouldn't have tried to milk the Lego brand as much as they do. They would be wiser to spread the films out. Like everyone I'm expecting a drop for The Lego Movie 2.

Think part of the problem is that Lego has had straight to DVD/VOD animated movies for years that aren't anything special. The Lego Movie was different because it wasn't tied to a specific property, whereas how is someone supposed to tell The Lego Batman Movie apart from the Lego DC Universe VOD movies? It's even worse with Ninjago because at least Lego Batman was a big part of The Lego Movie and had some geeky buzz, whereas Ninjago wasn't even in The Lego Movie and didn't touch any larger fanbase outside of kids and Lego fanatics.

Think part of the problem is that Lego has had straight to DVD/VOD animated movies for years that aren't anything special. The Lego Movie was different because it wasn't tied to a specific property, whereas how is someone supposed to tell The Lego Batman Movie apart from the Lego DC Universe VOD movies? It's even worse with Ninjago because at least Lego Batman was a big part of The Lego Movie and had some geeky buzz.

That too. Really Ninjago just looked like a cash grab though.

If WB greenlights lego more films, they should look, feel, and seem cinematic enough. Ninjago's looked fine enough in terms of designs, but there didn't seem to be much too it, beyond that. That and the Ninjago brand is hardly the most popular Lego brand out there too.

I wanna see a movie with Emma stone and Sandra Bullock one day tho. They'd be one of the GOAT mom/daughter combos.

But yeah, always gotta be gosling in there if it's Emma Stone

Top Bottom