• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump claims Obama, other presidents never called families of fallen soldiers

DMR53oDWkAAq6AP.jpg

Indeed it is the case that fact triumphs knee-jerk bullshit. It is the democrats that show respect, whereas the republicans would refuse to give it if they would lose face.

DavidDesu

Can't Obama now sue him for defamation or something to that effect? That IS defamation of the highest order and no one, not even the President of the USA should be allowed to blatantly lie about something like that.

Gutek

Can't Obama now sue him for defamation or something to that effect? That IS defamation of the highest order and no one, not even the President of the USA should be allowed to blatantly lie about something like that.

Obama is too busy taking the high road.

Dipper145

I mean to me at least, seeing that a few minutes after when questioned about it admitted that he didn't actually know, and was just told Obama didn't often, seems like a step in the right direction for Trump? At least admitting that he doesn't know things. Although obviously he's the president and should have more knowledge of well, everything he talks about in general.

Not that what he said is excusable (due to him being a president and should know more), but at least admitting when questioned about it, that he actually isn't sure, and is just repeating things other people told him, seems better somehow.

I just saw on the news that Trump attacked Obama in a tweet (Big surprise right?) for playing golf when their caskets came home when Obama was there. When the bodies returned from Niger, Trump was wait for it... golfing.

These people are guilty of every awful thing they accuse other people of. Every single time. If a rightwinger has a negative thing to say about someone else, 100% guaranteed they're actually guilty of it and not the other person.

Trump is beyond hopeless. But guess what, I saw a giant truck this morning with TWO Trump stickers on it's back window. As long as people like those remain ignorant, justify his actions and handwave hypocrisy as librul bias, there will be more President Trumps in our lifetime.

Tax cuts.

All is secondary to the almighty tax cut.
Seriously. Republicans need to placate their donors (the primary beneficiaries of any cuts) and say they actually accomplished something to their constituents at home before the midterms, and they are desperate to put anything in the win category. Trump is just as desperate, but all he can do is delegate and whine and bluster, and he's thrown everybody loyal to him under the bus already.

If the planned Tax Cuts go the way of the healthcare vote, the long knives will come out.

cornerman

Everyone working for Trump especially the former Generals who have sacrificed for this country, should be ashamed of themselves for allowing him to continue to speak out like this, produce falsehoods, and further divide the country with his lies and hate.

I get this sentiment, but real question what can they do if they step away or denounce him and inevitably get fired. Who fills in that space? I'm talking about the generals and Kelly specifically. Can anyone remotely sane or competent do the job? It's evident that the main body responsible for impeaching this guy are willing to overlook it. It becomes a question of pragmatism. If Trump is complete left to his own devices he fucks up at an exponential rate. We know he has no knowledge of protocol, history, or decency. I assume you assume he would inexplicably show how unfit he is without a shadow of doubt...but hasn't he already? And if he does something outside of a tweet or an executive order, who really gets hurt? The people...and the severity of that hurt is left to the imagination cause who knows how many things we don't even know of that he could fuck up.
I have a family and if I knew that all that stood in the way of them getting hurt by Trump is my staying on the job, I'd do it...doesn't have to be my family either. If it was just trouble for him, well who cares but his actions can affect people across the globe.

linkboy

Trump supporters were OK with him mocking McCain for being a POW and going after a family of a fallen soldier, so I'm sure they won't need to spin too much to keep his existing supporters content. At this point it's hard to tell what could finally break their support of him.

His supporters don't give two fucking shits about military members.

They only prop the military up because it makes their liberty erections bigger.

They'd fuck their own children who served over to ensure their party wins.

It just makes me so mad that this fuckboi made Kaepernick's protest about "respecting the troops" when he never had an ounce of respect for them and actively avoided service.

Ponn

Banned
I get this sentiment, but real question what can they do if they step away or denounce him and inevitably get fired. Who fills in that space? I'm talking about the generals and Kelly specifically. Can anyone remotely sane or competent do the job? It's evident that the main body responsible for impeaching this guy are willing to overlook it. It becomes a question of pragmatism. If Trump is complete left to his own devices he fucks up at an exponential rate. We know he has no knowledge of protocol, history, or decency. I assume you assume he would inexplicably show how unfit he is without a shadow of doubt...but hasn't he already? And if he does something outside of a tweet or an executive order, who really gets hurt? The people...and the severity of that hurt is left to the imagination cause who knows how many things we don't even know of that he could fuck up.
I have a family and if I knew that all that stood in the way of them getting hurt by Trump is my staying on the job, I'd do it...doesn't have to be my family either. If it was just trouble for him, well who cares but his actions can affect people across the globe.

The problem with this is people have been pushing this narrative of Trump being kept in check and being handled. Time and time again though Trump continues to do shitty and hurtful things showing he is not being held in check. I would rather his protective facade crumble around him instead of leaving him propped up in any form.

You're channeling the alt-right almost too well...

I'll tell you a secret: you just have to pretend like you're the Dipshit Dad character in a cartoon sitcom and say the first thing that tumbles out, no matter how stupid, and the impersonation is flawless.

In other words, if you've seen any episodes of the Simpsons from the years after it stopped being good, you too can Homer your way to being the standard-bearer of the alt-right.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
y'all ever just pause and think about how wild it is that this person is the president of the United States of America

W I L D

I mean to me at least, seeing that a few minutes after when questioned about it admitted that he didn't actually know, and was just told Obama didn't often, seems like a step in the right direction for Trump? At least admitting that he doesn't know things. Although obviously he's the president and should have more knowledge of well, everything he talks about in general.

Not that what he said is excusable (due to him being a president and should know more), but at least admitting when questioned about it, that he actually isn't sure, and is just repeating things other people told him, seems better somehow.

He didn’t admit he lied, he just did a half ass backtrack for the exact reason that some people would let him off easy.

Don’t.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
He can't always take the high road. We gotta hold that orange shit stain accountable.

I still think he is waiting for a time where the excitement of his return to public life can have an actual effect like 2018 (or lord help us 2020). Coming out now and getting into it with Trump does nothing but lessen the effect of his return by the time it would be useful

ggx2ac

What this guy said:

He didn’t admit he lied, he just did a half ass backtrack for the exact reason that some people would let him off easy.

Don’t.

_____

Trump has always lied and twisted facts because he is trying to make himself sound like the greatest president ever. It first started when he was claiming that he had won the highest amount of seats in the electoral college ever, reporters are always having to fact-check him because he is always lying.

He even whined about it at one point at one of his rallies where he said he has to be careful about what he says because of the media.

Because our country is broken. It has been for awhile. This is just the first time we've taken a hammer to the cracks.

I didn’t realise that America is that broken, I honestly thought that with lies like this everyone would jump on the moron, any newspaper that didn’t support him would be calling him out etc. Not to mention shows like Last Week Tonight would be going balls out, anything to make the moron accountable for what he says.

Balphon

I didn’t realise that America is that broken, I honestly thought that with lies like this everyone would jump on the moron, any newspaper that didn’t support him would be calling him out etc. Not to mention shows like Last Week Tonight would be going balls out, anything to make the moron accountable for what he says.

The fact that we're counting on satirists to hold power accountable is demonstrative of the problem.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
This is disgusting and just shows how vile this fuck is. I've felt an utter amount of sickness since he's been spewing his shit from day one. Just when you thought he couldn't go lower.

Where's the outrage? When are HIS FUCKING SUPPORTERS GOING TO CALL HIM THE FUCK OUT. If you don't you are just IF NOT a lot worse than him.

What planet are we on? Is this real life? Really America? Really? JFC

Makonero

Hell, they are. But people don’t care. They’ve picked their team and they stand by their star player even if he’s a dangerous fool. American politics has always been a sporting event but Trump has revealed just how stupid most voters are. We want to be lied to.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Trump is beyond hopeless. But guess what, I saw a giant truck this morning with TWO Trump stickers on it's back window. As long as people like those remain ignorant, justify his actions and handwave hypocrisy as librul bias, there will be more President Trumps in our lifetime.
Now that you bring this up, I can't even recall the last time I saw a Trump bumper sticker, and I used to see them all the time. So... progress, I guess?

XAL

Fuck no, Trump is a moron but he has not yet started a fake war in Iraq killing millions and also started a second Economic Depression

He's casually flirting with nuclear war and definitely going to fuck the economy.

Give the man some time.

Eusis

Indeed it is the case that fact triumphs knee-jerk bullshit. It is the democrats that show respect, whereas the republicans would refuse to give it if they would lose face.
I'd wager if you had Romney and especially McCain in office they would have done the same thing as Obama and Hillary. Hell, a good chunk of the nominees last year probably would have, whether out of genuine empathy or at least knowing it's a good idea to play the role.

Trump? Like he can give a fuck.

The way he talks sometimes, like that shit wouldn't fly if you asked your 6-year-old daughter who stole from the cookie jar.

"Well, I think that, perhaps, a lot of people don't know that actually many people have stolen from the cookie jar, or at least that's what some are saying, you know, I think maybe sometimes, you know, it's possible that I could have stolen from the cookie jar, maybe, but everyone knows me as the most trustworthy, for more trustworthy than any other child, on the cookie jar stealing...:

It would be amazing if BHO, GWB, Bill, H.W. and Jimmy Carter all slapped him with a lawsuit at once haha.

Top Bottom