• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Review: Need for Speed The Run is a TWO HOUR GAME (of SP racing), 8.4/10

Interfectum

angular graphics said:
PC version is LOCKED to 30 fps :lol

7Ip4J.jpg

georaldc said:
How the fuck can developers defend this shit? 30fps for a racing/car game on the pc??

There was also another multiplatform game that did that. Can't remember the title but it also involved disasters being triggered or something.

Split / Second, and it's a shame that game was so good! :(

e_i

Is this the game where you cross the U.S. in a race? Cross the U.S. in 2 hours? You'd have to be going 1500 mph!

e_i said:
Is this the game where you cross the U.S. in a race? Cross the U.S. in 2 hours? You'd have to be going 1500 mph!

Yeah - it should be real time.

Please note: I'm not an apologist for this thing. Just trying to be a bit more forgiving of a game that may actually be decent.

The Albatross said:
Depends, but for something like Forza... jesus... like hundreds of hours.
Can you really compare Forza to a Need for Speed? Forza is more or less a simulation, while The Run tries to be a interactive Hollywood movie.

RPG

SafeinSound said:
WTF AT THAT CAR SWITCH MECHANIC
Seems pretty similar to the one used in Burnout: Paradise just with a bit of realism with 'losing lap position for pitting' thrown in.

Anyway, watched the review and too much sensationalism over the '2 hours' thing. It's over two hours of 'on the road racing' no loading, retries, cutscenes or quick time events in that. I'm trying to think of how much time every racing game I've played would amount to if you only counted each unique lap driven and I think around 2 hours is fair.

Plus there's still the 70+ challenges in the Challenge Mode (which sounds like the typical NFS race format there.)

The Albatross said:
Depends, but for something like Forza... jesus... like hundreds of hours.
Forget games like Forza, where people in here are complaining about the "redone" races, the last few NFS games, from start to finish (not grinding through all stages, etc) would still last you 8-10 hours.

JWong

Banned
Well, you could say that NFS Hot Pursuit is a zero hour game since it has no story.

I'm pretty sure The Run has more than 2 hours of content excluding multiplayer.

2 hours of point to point racing minus cutscenes and retries doesn't seem too bad. Other racing games' careers might be longer but they also make you race on the same course multiple times and have circuit based racing too. I think the number of courses would be more useful to know than the campaign length.

You can clear the courses in OutRun 2 in under 20 minutes, without cut scenes or menus, but that doesn't mean that I haven't put a lot of single player hours into it. Not that this game doesn't have real problems from the sound of it but, wow, this isn't an 100+ epic RPG or a FPS campaign.

Interfectum

More Fun To Compute said:
You can clear the courses in OutRun 2 in under 20 minutes, without cut scenes or menus, but that doesn't mean that I haven't put a lot of single player hours into it. Not that this game doesn't have real problems from the sound of it but, wow, this isn't an 100+ epic RPG or a FPS campaign.

Because there is no middle ground between 2 and 100 hours...

Title should be about locked 30fps on PC. That's worse than being two hours long.

30fps killed Split/Second. What a joke design choice. Who wants to play a racing game at 30fps?

scitek

Foliorum Viridum said:
Title should be about locked 30fps on PC. That's worse than being two hours long.

30fps killed Split/Second. What a joke design choice. Who wants to play a racing game at 30fps?

I play last year's Hot Pursuit at 30fps, but that's because it won't run at 60 no matter what I do, even at 720p, and I just throw 4xSSAA on it instead.

For every one that is criticizing the game length, riddle me this:

Take you favorite racing game, run 1 lap through every racing map, time yourself, and tell me how much did it clock?

Interfectum said:
Because there is no middle ground between 2 and 100 hours...

I'm saying that when the gametrailers reviewer praises the game for having 2 hours worth of track he understands the genre better than the people overreacting here.

scitek

Lord-Audie said:
For every one that is criticizing the game length, riddle me this:

Take you favorite racing game, run 1 lap through every racing map, time yourself, and tell me how much did it clock?

You can't replay individual tracks, and you can't skip QTEs or cutscenes in order to post better Autolog times. It's not just that playing it once takes two hours, it's that any replayability is shot to shit making it effectively a 2 hour game.

The Hermit

I think the biggest offender is having a QTE in a racing game... jesus!

I miss Porsche Unleashed... such a great game! And Unleashed was an original subtitle title back then.

scitek said:
You can't replay individual tracks, and you can't skip QTEs or cutscenes in order to post better Autolog times. It's not just that playing it once takes two hours, it's that any replayability is shot to shit making it effectively a 2 hour game.

You can replay sections of the game, so is not that bad, but could be better.

The game is also sprinkled with all that challengy stuff that is supposed to make it repayable.

I feel that the 2hr raw racing reaction is overblown.

But i will find out for sure when i get the game.

Basch

Arpeggio23 said:
Holy misinformation, Batman.

The game isn't two hours long. It features two hours of unique, non-repeating track. There are no laps, just straight road. Two hours of it.

Name any other racing game with literally two hours of unique, non-repeating track.

No one wants to hear this... logic. Makes too much sense. Get out of here!

More Fun To Compute said:
I'm saying that when the gametrailers reviewer praises the game for having 2 hours worth of track he understands the genre better than the people overreacting here.

You should seriously reread this thread. I'm sure no one's taking it seriously. It's great fun. Probably one of the best threads I've read in a long time. Hall of Fame quality to be exact.

Koren said:
Not sure if I understand why it's such a big issue...

I think that Outrun 2 Coast to Coast is less than 2h, no? Even if you want to see all the roads, assuming you're good enough?

Is this a problem that you can finish what seems to be a racing game in a couple of hours? Doesn't those game relies on replay value?

The video review covers this as well, saying that it puts up roadblocks in front of the replay value, as individual races can not be re-run (have to play it from the first to the last race of a segment to improve scores) and things like cutscenes can not be skipped. It may have replay value in that yeah, you can play it again, but would you want to, knowing what you had to put up with the first run through?

Gentleman Jack said:
The video review covers this as well, saying that it puts up roadblocks in front of the replay value, as individual races can not be re-run (have to play it from the first to the last race of a segment to improve scores) and things like cutscenes can not be skipped. It may have replay value in that yeah, you can play it again, but would you want to, knowing what you had to put up with the first run through?

Not that there's any hope that it would happen... but that seems like something that could be patchable.

Burnout paradise patched replays when people bitched enough about it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
BigBlackGamer said:
pc version locked to 30 fps? fuck that.
SapientWolf said:
It sucks that it's 30fps on the consoles too but at least there's motion interpolation on HDTVs.
angular graphics said:
Split / Second, and it's a shame that game was so good! :(

Yup and after 5 minutes of playing at 30fps you forget the game is running at 30 and realize how beautiful it looks.

Douchebag PC gamer = Complain game is locked at 30fps....would run at 40 if unlocked
Douchebag PC gamer = Complain game is locked at 30fps....doesnt notice until someone tells him.

Basch said:
You should seriously reread this thread. I'm sure no one's taking it seriously. It's great fun. Probably one of the best threads I've read in a long time. Hall of Fame quality to be exact.

I didn't really notice that it was a wario64 thread but right now I have no idea who is taking what seriously which I guess does make it classic GAF.

scitek

Black_Stride said:
Yup and after 5 minutes of playing at 30fps you forget the game is running at 30 and realize how beautiful it looks.

Douchebag PC gamer = Complain game is locked at 30fps....would run at 40 if unlocked
Douchebag PC gamer = Complain game is locked at 30fps....doesnt notice until someone tells him.

Oh I'd notice.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Koren said:
Not sure if I understand why it's such a big issue...

I think that Outrun 2 Coast to Coast is less than 2h, no? Even if you want to see all the roads, assuming you're good enough?

Is this a problem that you can finish what seems to be a racing game in a couple of hours? Doesn't those game relies on replay value?

I think that the draw for this game is the Autolog integration. Trying to beat your friends' time on certain sections. If you are into that, then this is for you. That was a part of Hot Pursuit as well. If you don't have friends that play and don't care for online, you are going to miss a big chunk of the game.

With that in mind...I do question the $60 price tag.

Black_Stride said:

I couldn't play SS because of the 30fps. It did my head in.

And I'm sure I could have run it at 60 ;)

Jamesways

How long was Most Wanted? That had a pretty long SP story if I remember right. Hard to judge since you had to cause a certain ammount of chaos to get the right notoriety level.

Autolog will be key for this like HP and even Shift 2. But damn, if you have to go through cut scenes and QTEs to do it... that's a really poor design decision.

Top Bottom