• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if next week we'll be getting more of normal Cooper. It's weird that the first two they are airing are consolidated two parters. So maybe Coop's oddyssey back to normalcy comes to an end next week and the single hour episodes will be more "TV"-ish in structure. Who knows.

Lynch gonna Lynch. And I'm always gonna love him for it.

Man, the scripting, acting and direction quality so far has been so good. Can he seriously maintain this for 18 hours? If this gets worse and ends up bad overall I'm going to be so crushed.

Considering the way it was written and shot, I have no doubts. It was interesting in the EW interview how he talked about the whole series being finished with post production when it premiered. He approached it like a movie for a reason. All the parts were created as one and any happy accidents were accounted for before the show even premiered. So any time he went off track (apparently 20% or so), he was able to connect it all together.

robotrock

Banned
Considering the way it was written and shot, I have no doubts. It was interesting in the EW interview how he talked about the whole series being finished with post production when it premiered. He approached it like a movie for a reason. All the parts were created as one and any happy accidents were accounted for before the show even premiered. So any time he went off track (apparently 20% or so), he was able to connect it all together.
Off track how?

Isn't he in Fire Walk with Me?

There's actually two Woodsmen, we know absolutely nothing about either of them really. I kinda get the feeling that this character is different though (I think they were only related to the events of FWWM), perhaps he is the being that controlled
William Hastings for the murder. If he's another resident of the Black Lodge that gets enjoyment out of the fear like Bob does in some way? It's kind of a similar set up with what happened with Leland, as in it might end up being that he was "asleep" during the murders in the same way Leland was. It might have been a case of once he saw Hastings in his despair was like "my work here is done" and floats away to the next person he can take over and get to do similar murders.

Just thinking about it, there's certainly quite a lot of evil spirits and killers this time around. It's going to be complicated keeping up with them all leaving chaos in their wake.

Also, just thought of something when Leland says "find Laura" is that will happen with Good Coop in some way during the story? Laura just *poofs* and disappears, but where? And why? Does he have to "find Laura" before he can find himself again?

Elchele

Cooper seemed to be triggered by a few things in episode 4
The mirror scene that seems to be a direct reference to the ending of season 2

IMO, was more about seeing himself again. And now so old. Doubt there are mirrors in the Lodge. Or much perception of time

grumpy

Also, just thought of something when Leland says "find Laura" is that will happen with Good Coop in some way during the story? Laura just *poofs* and disappears, but where? And why? Does he have to "find Laura" before he can find himself again?

The
real Laura has been alive for the past 25 years. The deal Laura was just a doppelgänger.
Don't know how that's gonna work out, but it's gonna turn out that way. Believe.

When I was saying "find Laura" I didn't mean it literally, more like in some other abstract way (going back to Laura's house or something like that).

Slaythe

I think we are not getting Coop back until very late.

From a comment Lynch made, I think the coffee awakened Cooper's mind and allowed him to get out of the "brain dead" state, but he won't have his memories back.
He'll just be a normal mind trying to figure out who he is and what he is. Find his purpose.

anaron

Shit, I'm sure people have already discussed this but
what if the woman Albert and Gordon are going to find is Diane? It would make total sense but it could ruin the fun of never actually knowing what she looks like
She's already been cast and played by
Laura Dern

Sounds like everyone had their shit together.

I'm hoping we see this guy again.

latest

Saladinoo

I just watched the first two hours.

Incredible, just incredible. I never thought we would get a lynch movie after Inland Empire, but here we are with an 18 hour one. The first 2 hours at least literally felt like mulholland drive 2

mjp2417

Banned
The critical response seems to be pretty average, it has a 74 on MC right now. The first season has a 96.

Metacritic averages are an absolutely terrible way to gauge critical response to a television show for so many different reasons. The second most glaringly obvious one (after the simple fact that the included reviews are entirely based on a tiny fraction of a season) is that television critics rarely assign letter grades/numerical values to their reviews. Like, Laura Miller's Slate review basically consists of her gushing endlessly about the show...and Metacritic translates that into an 80. There's also the fact that publications like the New York Post (lol) and something called Uncle Barky matter to Metacritic, when they don't matter to any sane, educated human being watching something by David Lynch.

AoM

So right that the reason Lynch got booed after FWWM was this. You can live in imaginary land if you want, but that actually happened. This is why the recent Cannes cheering is significant and why people didn't like FWWM.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-twin-peaks-movie-was-booed-at-cannes-1003120

What's the purpose of the THR link? I don't see anything about not getting answers being the reason for the boos.

I imagine if you go into FWWM not knowing it's a prequel focused on Laura's last days and thinking that Twin Peaks boils down to coffee and pie, that booing might ensue. But that doesn't mean it makes sense or is in any way justified.

Chitown B

What's the purpose of the THR link? I don't see anything about not getting answers being the reason for the boos.

I imagine if you go into FWWM not knowing it's a prequel focused on Laura's last days and thinking that Twin Peaks boils down to coffee and pie, that booing might ensue. But that doesn't mean it makes sense or is in any way justified.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...e-the-film-that-almost-killed-Twin-Peaks.html

The purpose is to show that it was booed. Seriously. This is the conversation we are having. This is why people booed it. It didn't make sense to make a movie that didn't give some sort of closure to the series that was canceled, but instead just showed how a character we already knew was dead and who killed them, was killed.

Dan-o

So right that the reason Lynch got booed after FWWM was this. You can live in imaginary land if you want, but that actually happened. This is why the recent Cannes cheering is significant and why people didn't like FWWM.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-twin-peaks-movie-was-booed-at-cannes-1003120

Maybe I'm missing it, but nothing in that article says FWWM was booed because it was "boring" or "didn't answer any questions."

FWWM is excellent. Deeply flawed, but excellent. It was the follow-up nobody wanted or expected at the time. I think history has proven how important FWWM is to the complete story of Twin Peaks, and it (mostly) gets better with age.

But in 1992? At Cannes? Damn right people booed it. It was Lynch's "fuck you" to their very expectations. He made the story he wanted to make, and suffered the consequences. If he made a 2-hour Dale Cooper solving mysteries kind of movie, they'd have given him a standing ovation. And THAT would have been boring as shit. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...e-the-film-that-almost-killed-Twin-Peaks.html

The purpose is to show that it was booed. Seriously. This is the conversation we are having. This is why people booed it. It didn't make sense to make a movie that didn't give some sort of closure to the series that was canceled, but instead just showed how a character we already knew was dead and who killed them, was killed.
FWWM is more than that, but okay.

I don't quite understand this opinion. The finale of season 2 was conclusive and an incredible ending to the series.

Did people just want Cooper to get a happy ending?

I didn't really like FWWM, but it was the perfect story to tell for a Twin Peaks movie.

Chitown B

Maybe I'm missing it, but nothing in that article says FWWM was booed because it was "boring" or "didn't answer any questions."

FWWM is excellent. Deeply flawed, but excellent. It was the follow-up nobody wanted or expected at the time. I think history has proven how important FWWM is to the complete story of Twin Peaks, and it (mostly) gets better with age.

But in 1992? At Cannes? Damn right people booed it. It was Lynch's "fuck you" to their very expectations. He made the story he wanted to make, and suffered the consequences. If he made a 2-hour Dale Cooper solving mysteries kind of movie, they'd have given him a standing ovation. And THAT would have been boring as shit. :)

FWWM is more than that, but okay.

You're free to have your Lynch love blinders on. Those who came later to the party can take it for what it objectively is. I watched it again recently. It's looooooonnnngggg, sloooooooowwww, and has no real payoff. Plus the acting is mostly pretty bad - and not in a fun way.

I don't quite understand this opinion. The finale of season 2 was conclusive and an incredible ending to the series.

Did people just want Cooper to get a happy ending?

Interesting that you're not watching Season 3. Since it was conclusive and complete. Oh well.

AoM

Yeah, if that's all you got out of the film, of course you'd find it boring.

But to Lynch, Laura Palmer is Twin Peaks. For many, it's wacky Cooper, coffee, and pie. You can boo all you want, but to think that someone like Lynch owes you something is funny to me.

Interesting that you're not watching Season 3. Since it was conclusive and complete. Oh well.

Any story that doesn't end with the heat death of the universe can be continued. The existence of a sequel doesn't preclude an ending from being conclusive.

I think season 3 is unnecessary, but that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Well, I did it. After years of hearing about it and an entire week of binge-watching on Netflix, I finished all of Twin Peaks. And uh......wow.

For the longest time I always thought Twin Peaks was this cult classic that the internet loved because it had some monster of the week or sci-fi type shenangians every episode like X-Files or Gravity Falls. But no, imagine my surprise when I realize it's just a quirky early 90s soap opera directed by David Lynch. A damn good soap opera, mind you. But I could see immediately why it took off: because almost every character in this is so damn interesting in their own way.

Cooper's awesome, of course. He just across as one of those people who's hilarious without doing much. Audrey and Josie are stunning, holy crap. Ray Wise gets to show off a lot of charisma as Leland. Log Lady is gold, god rest her soul. Andy & Lucy are probably my faves because of how damn goofy they are, then there's a bunch of others that's too much to name right now.

Other reason why I love it: this thing might as well be called A E S T H E T I C: The Series. The score is fantastic; I've had Dance of the Dream Man on repeat for mt Spotify account all week since I started this series. The show does a great job with sound and photography to make Twin Peaks feel so dream-like but grounded enough to feel like a real place at the same time. I can see why Tumblr goes nuts for this show.

As for season 3, what the fuck. This three all the soap opera stuff out the window and turned into Eraserhead: The Series. But I like it too! None of it makes sense and none of it needs to, it's David Lynch putting whatever comes to his mind that looks like art on screen. I'm not asking any questions because so far it's given me all the answers I need. I'm just glad to be here for the ride.

WE'RE IN SOUTH DAKOTA. COSSACKS ARE IN RUSSIA.

Chitown B

Any story that doesn't end with the heat death of the universe can be continued. The existence of a sequel doesn't preclude an ending from being conclusive.

I think season 3 is unnecessary, but that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it.

Disagree. S3 is necessary and by some miracle is happening. The ending of S2 was done this way so Lynch could try to entice ABC to bring it back. All the cliffhangers were a big fuck you if it wasn't picked up.

Flipyap

As for season 3, what the fuck. This three all the soap opera stuff out the window and turned into Eraserhead: The Series. But I like it too! None of it makes sense and none of it needs to, it's David Lynch putting whatever comes to his mind that looks like art on screen. I'm not asking any questions because so far it's given me all the answers I need. I'm just glad to be here for the ride.
Did you watch Fire Walk With Me yet? The shift in tone shouldn't be that shocking if you've seen the movie (though the "Eraserheadness" of the new show was pretty shocking).

Bronx-Man

Banned
Did you watch Fire Walk With Me yet? The shift in tone shouldn't be that shocking if you've seen the movie (though the "Eraserheadness" of the new show was pretty shocking).
I actually skipped it and read the synopsis on Wiki since I heard reviews of it weren't too kind.

Flipyap

I actually skipped it and read the synopsis on Wiki since I heard reviews of it weren't too kind.
Well, you've made a huge mistake (okay, not that huge since spoilers can't exactly ruin that ending). It's a fantastic movie and it's becoming an increasingly important part of the puzzle with each new hour of the Showtime show.
Come on, it's Lynch-directed Peaks. It's not something you skip just because a nutty reviewer told you it was weird and didn't answer any questions.

mjp2417

Banned

You should really, really watch Fire Walk With Me. Its reception was more a reflection of the critical atmosphere surrounding Lynch and Twin Peaks at the time (i.e. not good) than of the film itself. It would have gotten a very, very different reception had it been released post-Mulholland Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom