• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR - Man weaves now becoming a thing

Fuchsdh

Just accept the baldness. Be confident, especially when she tells you ain't no way in hell she'll ever date a bald man, be confident.

Yep. Some people might think you look pathetic, but there's no way it's as pathetic as someone desperately trying to pretend they have hair.

You'd think all the bald space marines and action stars would have dampened the insecurities over this. Just don't be overweight and you'll probably look fine.

lebron-james-thinning-hair.jpg

Y'all gonna stop coming at Bron like that!

He's very sensitive about his hair :(

Skux

Very. Especially young men who don't have long term relationships I've noticed, but I know many women who have biological thinning also. As if a human being's intrinsic value is only related to dead keratin cells on top of a head.

That's because it is. Hair = youth = attractiveness.

Fury451

Banned
That's because it is. Hair = youth = attractiveness.

A buddy of mine was full on bald by the time he was 23. He did just fine in the romance department regardless, and he certainly wasn't suddenly old because his hair was gone. That's kind of a silly equation to make, but I understand the perception is deep rooted.

You could argue that aesthetically it looks better if someone just shaved it off, and I would agree; balding regardless of your age can add appearance of years, but it doesn't equate to any less youth and vitality because it's not magic or something.

A 60-year-old with a full head of hair still looks 60, so there's a point in time where that perception breaks down any which way you cut it.

Yazuka

I wish I could lose all my hair. I hate it.
I wouldn't mind being completely bald.

But good this worked for others.

Kysen

I'm on finasteride and holding out till someone develops a permanent solution :/ I was unfortunate to be completely oblivious to the hair loss until a crop circle appeared on my crown.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. Some people might think you look pathetic, but there's no way it's as pathetic as someone desperately trying to pretend they have hair.

You'd think all the bald space marines and action stars would have dampened the insecurities over this. Just don't be overweight and you'll probably look fine.
Bald space marines have handsome faces and good shaped heads. Try having a weird shape, unfortunate facial structure, and lumps/growths on your head. Not eveeyone makes bald look good.

Eidan

Bald space marines have handsome faces and good shaped heads. Try having a weird shape, unfortunate facial structure, and lumps/growths on your head. Not eveeyone makes bald look good.
If you're ugly bald you're ugly with a full head of hair.

snacknuts

we all knew her

Absolutely true. I would look horrible as a bald guy.

bsp

Unfortunate that losing fibers can make some men think of suicide (protip: never go to any hair loss discussion board). Be in decent shape and don't be pale white and you look absolutely fine. Next time you're out at the mall count how many bald dudes are walking around with partners and families. It isn't that bad.

Alternatively, you can save up ~$10k and get a solid hair transplant. The tech is good now.

Disclosure: I'm pretty receded and thinned at age 21, but not quite at the point to shave it (I'm probably about a year out).

Men are insanely sensitive about their hairlines, aren't we?

With good reason. I feel bad for balding guys, so many women are so cruel about it. It's like a guy with a bald spot is completely emasculated in the eyes of a lot of females.

People bring up the Vin Diesel/Jason Statham type comparisons, but that only works for certain guys with the right shaped head & jawline to balance it.

i wanna see the mechanics of this. this guys hairline starts on the top of his head. what are they weaving it to? can't argue with the end result but I wonder how long it lasts.

It's not a weave I'm not sure why npr call it that.

Google hair system cut in you can find tons of videos online about them. They now make wigs "hair systems" with very thin lace or latex scalps that are undetectable. They shave your scalp and apply the system and bond it to your head. Then you get it cut and blended with the hair on the sides. You basically take care of it like regular hair after that.

They last 5 months or so and you need to get a hair cut every few weeks to keep it blended. I have been researching these for years but I just lift weight, shave my head and rock ball caps. My partner says I should try it if I want but the cost always turned me off.

Rayis

I wonder if the people who are teasing men who want to keep their hair would react the same way to women going through alopecia.

The reality is that some people just don't want to lose their hair whether male or female, it's an unfortunate effect of biology that a lot of men and some women have to go through.

Now go be a bald, fit space marine away from those who want to keep their hair but can't.

Fury451

Banned
I wonder if the people who are teasing men who want to keep their hair would react the same way to women going through alopecia.

The reality is that some people just don't want to lose their hair whether male or female, it's an unfortunate effect of biology that a lot of men and some women have to go through.

Now go be a bald, fit space marine away from those who want to keep their hair but can't.

I would love to keep my hair, but it's steadily thinning so I'm not going to fight reality because frankly I can't afford to financially with the amount of upkeep the hair restoration options cost; at the same time I would never put down someone who tries to stop or reverse it.

When it becomes an obsession though, it's harmful to the person overall. So when you tell someone "fuck what other people think, you have to embrace it", its not really dismissive per se, but to help; you can still then do stuff like this, but if you can't own it in some form first you can't fully move on.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I find that the rest of the world makes a bigger deal about it. It's even worse when as a shaved man you're not allowed to react to their reaction, ' why you so sensitive bro?'-- bullshit.

black_13

Banned
Good. I hope this becomes more acceptable just as it is with women's hair.

Some people just look better/feel better with hair and if you are not in relationship and have self confidence issues then it's even more of a burden.

K.Sabot

fuck baldness

hair is an accessory, natural or not

look the way you want no matter the cost if you care enough.

Rayis

I would love to keep my hair, but it's steadily thinning so I'm not going to fight reality because frankly I can't afford to financially with the amount of upkeep the hair restoration options cost; at the same time I would never put down someone who tries to stop or reverse it.

When it becomes an obsession though, it's harmful to the person overall. So when you tell someone "fuck what other people think, you have to embrace it", its not really dismissive per se, but to help; you can still then do stuff like this, but if you can't own it in some form first you can't fully move on.

I know the feeling too well, my hair is also thinning and I hate it, I have reluctantly accepted it since I knew it was either me or my brother who were going to suffer from it and it turned out to be me.

I personally don't find it helpful being told to "get over and embrace it" it makes me more upset in fact, I like long, luscious hair and I always will, in my case is not so much what other people think so much as what I like. I happen to not want to be bald but I didn't have a choice, not quite bald yet but I'll get there in a few years time, I dread it.

Zackat

my hair is thinning. I'm just gonna buzz it short here in a few years when it starts to go more.

will probably just grow my beard out as well. will see how it goes.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

You think women react well to losing their hair? Spoiler alert: They don't.
Personally Minoxidil stopped and almost completely reversed my hair loss but I didn't care enough to stick with it.

highrider

Banned
I would just buzz my head, but it's easy for me to say because I haven't lost any hair so you can't really know how that feels until you do.

Top Bottom