• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty S3 |OT| Keeping Summer Safe - Sundays on Adult Swim

Do we know how many episodes this season has?

Season 1 had eleven and S2 had ten.
This one is 10 as well. Halfway point.

Edit: but back in 2016 Harmon said 14 episodes and it would release in 2016. Obviously something happened that prevented that. But I'll take it as a sign that the season 4 turnaround won't be 1.5/2 years again.

Boem

This one is 10 as well. Halfway point.

Edit: but back in 2016 Harmon said 14 episodes and it would release in 2016. Obviously something happened that prevented that. But I'll take it as a sign that the season 4 turnaround won't be 1.5/2 years again.

They clarified that the delays meant they couldn't do the full 14. Which also means that there's no intergalactic cable episode this year, as that was scheduled to be produced as one of the last episodes. They just didn't get to it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
They clarified that the delays meant they couldn't do the full 14. Which also means that there's no intergalactic cable episode this year, as that was scheduled to be produced as one of the last episodes. They just didn't get to it.

i don't doubt you, but what's the source on this?

Boem

i don't doubt you, but what's the source on this?

One of the thousands of Harmon interviews back when the season was about to begin. I'll see if I can find it, give me a sec.

Edit: The interview where I originally heard it was a youtube video where Harmon mentioned it, but that's a bit harder to search for. I did find this Time interview where he says the same thing:

There won't be another Interdimensional Cable sequel in season three. Seasons one and two both included episodes that featured snippets of TV shows and commercials from cable channels airing in other dimensions within the universe. That won't be the case for season three, but Harmon teased something else to look forward to:

"The bad news is we didn't get to make one of those this season. The good news is we tried a different take on a somewhat anthological episode."

http://time.com/4863012/rick-morty-season-3/

I had no clue they were gonna do another cable show, the fan reaction to #2 wasn't great, even though I loved it. I think it's the perfect Treehouse of Horror esque thing for R&M so I'm all for it. Although if it's not happening this season that kind of puts a damper on the whole idea.

Sblargh

Banned
It's definitely a possibility but it seems that c-137 rick is more attached to his grandchildren, specifically morty, that he likes to let out.

Didn't seem to give a fuck about leaving original Beth and summer behind though lol.

Well, part of the show is how multiverse travel messes up morality. I don't think Rick "cares" about anyone since there are infinite versions of people out there, but he does care about keeping continuity, I.e., it's not this Beth that matters, but he needs a Beth that has had these particular experiences with either him or a version of him.

I guess he values any Beth from any universe that experienced the exactly same as his Beth, at this point they can be replaced if he screws up, but replacing a current Beth with one that has memories he doesn't share, that actually counts as a loss, that's what would make this Beth a different one.

He seems to value his past and the connection he developed over time with people, but he can't really treat them like individuals from a multiversal point of view because that opens a whole can of worms.

vypek

I had no clue they were gonna do another cable show, the fan reaction to #2 wasn't great, even though I loved it. I think it's the perfect Treehouse of Horror esque thing for R&M so I'm all for it. Although if it's not happening this season that kind of puts a damper on the whole idea.

Simspons also has only one season that doesn't have a Treehouse of Horror so maybe it'll be kind of similar in that sense. lol. I didn't care for the second all that much but love the first so I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it return

Ernest

Banned
One of the thousands of Harmon interviews back when the season was about to begin. I'll see if I can find it, give me a sec.

Edit: The interview where I originally heard it was a youtube video where Harmon mentioned it, but that's a bit harder to search for. I did find this Time interview where he says the same thing:

http://time.com/4863012/rick-morty-season-3/
Okay, but he doesn't say anything about this season being only 10 eps. Everything I've seen up to now says that season 3 will be 14 eps.

I'm wondering if that last scene in the credits (with the giant cthulhu) will ever be shown in an episode or if it's just for the intro. It's been in the intro for two seasons now.

Some of the stuff in the intro have a complete joke as part of them already and don't seem like they need/are part of an episode. Like the cthulhu one has you seeing basically the complete story of it. You see a cthulhu chasing them followed by the "punch line" of why. Of course that isn't to say they will not use it sometime, or change it up like they have done with parts of the intro this/last season. Like the butts as faces bit now.

HariKari

I never liked that they changed universes.

I can deal with universes that are clearly marked as being different. But if they play it straight and say "hah that wasn't c-137 rick at all!" as a cheap cop out, that's when I get disappointed. So far they've avoided that temptation.

Has it ever been confirmed that Total Rickall featured C-137?

I can deal with universes that are clearly marked as being different. But if they play it straight and say "hah that wasn't c-137 rick at all!" as a cheap cop out, that's when I get disappointed. So far they've avoided that temptation.

Has it ever been confirmed that Total Rickall featured C-137?

Nothing has been confirmed. Theory is that we see two parallel universes during Total Rickall and Morty Night Run. That C-137 Rick and Morty are the two at the end who had fun at Blitz and Chipz, while the parallels went on the fart adventure, and the connection is the rocks that Rick found a the end of Morty Night Run, being seen in Total Rickall.

Hyped for this weeks episode. Classic Rick and Morty in space. I'm really curious what has both of them, especially Rick, so traumatized.

I wonder if Rick and Beth will be the B plot. I'm sure there is a lot they want to talk about with eachother.

I see a lot of hate for the pilot here on gaf, but the pilot episode is genuinely one of my favorites. I think it has a lot of great gags that still get me when I watch it now. PLus we get to see Morty at his most vulnerable innocent state.

Also liked this last episode of Rick and Morty. Overall I feel this season has been a bit better than season 2, but they're pretty close in quality to me.

HotHamBoy

1kqz9Lx_d.jpg

Lol

The pilots biggest issue is that the stuttering and burping was overbearing. I'm glad they've mostly dropped it.

WHAT. That is the one thing I wish they had kept consistent with the character. It's hilarious because he's a genius but he sounds like a raving lunatic.

It's straight outta Doc and Mharti:

https://youtu.be/Bfsg_eor5TM

https://youtu.be/SMqHt3WIVpI

https://youtu.be/DebxxDffSgA

DarkKyo

There's a blatant issue with the universe naming thing, and it's that as time goes on, countless more Rick and Mortys are from C-137 because diverging realities should be being created at all instances. At this point there should be a near infinite amount of Ricks that can say they were from C-137.

Also, is it ever explained why there aren't an infinite amount of Councils of Ricks? As soon as its established it would also branch out tons of universes with versions of the Citadel, yet when "our" Rick destroys it, we are supposed to assume it's gone from all realities? Realistically it should still exist in countless other dimensions, unless there's some specific reason it's not in other universes.

Ghazi

There's a blatant issue with the universe naming thing, and it's that as time goes on, countless more Rick and Mortys are from C-137 because diverging realities should be being created at all instances. At this point there should be a near infinite amount of Ricks that can say they were from C-137.

Also, is it ever explained why there aren't an infinite amount of Councils of Ricks? As soon as its established it would also branch out tons of universes with versions of the Citadel, yet when "our" Rick destroys it, we are supposed to assume it's gone from all realities? Realistically it should still exist in countless other dimensions, unless there's some specific reason it's not in other universes.

I don't think you're meant to question it so much. I know continuity is a big deal, but the show works well enough right now. Really, diverging realities and some of the "science" the show portrays is really difficult to keep from being messy.

rekameohs

Banned

Clearly they're playing fast and loose with the whole "infinite universes" thing, and it's more of a "lot of universes" type.

It's not a blatant issue, it's a "when you think about it" point.

The show hasn't come across issues in its narrative or sci fi where plot holes come up.

DarkKyo

I don't think you're meant to question it so much.
Clearly they're playing fast and loose with the whole "infinite universes" thing, and it's more of a "lot of universes" type.

It's not a blatant issue, it's a "when you think about it" point.

The show hasn't come across issues in its narrative or sci fi where plot holes come up.

I'd call it a plot hole anyways, at least the point about the Citadel.

It's easily explained away if they wanted to though, maybe the Citadel was placed in a type of subspace that doesn't create alternate dimensions so there would be no issues or confusion between Council decisions being different in other universes.

At the very least we can assume the Galactic Federation and Birdperson as we once knew him still exist in other dimensions.

Kyzer

Banned
I'd call it a plot hole anyways, at least the point about the Citadel.

It's easily explained away if they wanted to though, maybe the Citadel was placed in a type of subspace that doesn't create alternate dimensions so there would be no issues or confusion between Council decisions being different in other universes.

At the very least we can assume the Galactic Federation and Birdperson as we once knew him still exist in other dimensions.

Its not a plot hole until they fuck it up, theres a number of explanations they could easily come up with, starting with ones as simple as thats not how it works in the universe of rick and morty

HotHamBoy

I would like to see an episode entirely set within a weird alternate reality that follows a different Rick and Morty than we are used to.

DarkKyo

Its not a plot hole until they fuck it up, theres a number of explanations they could easily come up with, starting with ones as simple as thats not how it works in the universe of rick and morty

But every rule established so far in the universe(s) of Rick and Morty can not explain or refute the problem I just described, so I'd call it a plot hole until they explain it away.
I would like to see an episode entirely set within a weird alternate reality that follows a different Rick and Morty than we are used to.

The comics follow a different R&M pairing(C-132) so at least we get to see a fresh couple there.

vypek

I don't get why there would be an infinite amount of C-137s and why more pairs of Rick and Morty would be from there

Burt

I don't get why there would be an infinite amount of C-137s and why more pairs of Rick and Morty would be from there

The basic idea is that every parallel universe is constantly splitting and diverging into an infinite amount of other parallel universes at any given moment based on minor changes. Think about it in the context of a single character (i.e. whether or not Rick discovers the solution to the Cronenberging love potion), then multiply it by every decision, made by every person, on every planet, in the entire universe, all the way back to the beginning of time. Most universes don't even have a Rick because they diverged significantly from C-137's path well before he was born. So at every instant, whatever C-137 is, is becoming infintely more C-137s as the universes continue to diverge based on the choices within, and there is no "true" C-137 among them.

But, I don't think it matters much unless someone here can define what "central finite curve" means.

EdgeTurn

I'm feeling that's what the "central finite curve" concept is meant to deal with. It gave me the impression that the Council arbitrarily filters out realities to focus attentions on a finite - but still incredibly large - sample of different realities. Conceivably, any branching of a given reality would in some way be detectable as a new, separate reality with its own sub designation (ie C-137a1, etc). Perhaps the central finite curve only includes realities designated as primary branches from a common point, and all the infinite branchings from each of those prime realities are somehow filtered out. Maybe the portal gun can only hold so many entries so the Ricks had to all agree on a specific subset of prime realities.

Was the Citadel of Ricks actually destroyed? It looked relatively intact to me - damaged and infiltrated by federation guards and criminals, but not completely destroyed? Conceivably it might just be replaced by an alternate, or maybe they at least find new Ricks with identical hairstyles to replace the dead Councilmen.

What now bothers me is whether or not our Rick would still be classified as being from C-137 at all after transferring into a new Rick body? Is that defined by the pattern of his mind or the dimensional frequency of his physical body?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but was our Rick ever really from C-137 originally anyway? The casual way he jumped ship from Cronenberg earth implied he'd already bailed on earths before (and in Pickle Rick he refers to the first Beth as "one of" his infinite daughters, not "my original" daughter). I assume our Morty is definitely from C137 since he was able to use the portal gun to return to Cronenberg earth - if Rick had lied to him about his universe designation the gun would have taken him somewhere else (which frankly would have been a cool way to reveal that Rick had been lying about his universe of origin).

DarkKyo

The whole premise behind R&M is that there are an infinite amount of alternate universes. It's based on the Multiverse Theory, particularly the many-worlds interpretation where all possible probabilities are expressed as branching paths resulting in countless new dimensions/realities. So if you flip a coin for example you would be triggering the branching of your own universe into several new ones, one where you get heads, one where you get tails, one where you lose the coin, etc etc. Every single variable results in the "creation" of a new universe. That's why there are countless Ricks and Mortys, because it would appear that Rick discovered portal technology at least after he had Beth so alternate timelines are at least going to have a Rick and most likely a Morty(if Beth's life unfolds the same way it did in C-137, but you'd imagine she doesn't have Morty in every single universe). Anyways I digress.. the point is that every reality is being sliced into branching paths whenever there are opposing outcomes to any observable event. If we consider its been at least a couple of years in-show since our R&M left C-137 then we have to imagine that the R&M from C-137 have had their realities divided into so many branching paths, creating so many new realities that there are absolutely countless versions of C-137 Rick and Morty. They become more distinct after a point and have gone down their own paths and had a different couple of years since they left C-137, but they can all say that's where their "home" universe is.
I'm feeling that's what the "central finite curve" concept is meant to deal with. It gave me the impression that the Council arbitrarily filters out realities to focus attentions on a finite - but still incredibly large - sample of different realities. Conceivably, any branching of a given reality would in some way be detectable as a new, separate reality with its own sub designation (ie C-137a1, etc). Perhaps the central finite curve only includes realities designated as primary branches from a common point, and all the infinite branchings from each of those prime realities are somehow filtered out. Maybe the portal gun can only hold so many entries so the Ricks had to all agree on a specific subset of prime realities.

I like this explanation! I mean, the millions of C-137 Ricks still exist out there, but at least this gives us reason to focus on one particular C-137 Rick, the "prime C-137 Rick."

vypek

The basic idea is that every parallel universe is constantly splitting and diverging into an infinite amount of other parallel universes at any given moment based on minor changes. Think about it in the context of a single character (i.e. whether or not Rick discovers the solution to the Cronenberging love potion), then multiply it by every decision, made by every person, on every planet, in the entire universe, all the way back to the beginning of time. Most universes don't even have a Rick because they diverged significantly from C-137's path well before he was born. So at every instant, whatever C-137 is, is becoming infintely more C-137s as the universes continue to diverge based on the choices within, and there is no "true" C-137 among them.

But, I don't think it matters much unless someone here can define what "central finite curve" means.

Oh, I get what you mean with the branching timelines. Thanks. I thought there was something explicitly in one of the episodes that hinted that was how they were treating stuff in their universe. Since they seem to be avoiding time travel along a single timeline I never really thought about them having multiple of the same pair from a universe.

Unless the parallel universes are actually not truly separated dimensions but branches along the timeline and the Ricks have agreed to name each of those branching paths.

Really hard to tell anything for sure unless they start telling us how they are saying time works in their series.

EDIT: Just saw the post one about me ^

Thanks for your explanation :)

HotHamBoy

Yo, what the fuck!? Dog World?

https://youtu.be/npu3VnYs3IA

It uses the same theme as R&M and everything... how many shows was Roiland pitching and why did so many aspects of them end up in R&M? This is basically the domestic half of R&M but with dog people.

"You don't knoooow me!"

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

It uses the same theme as R&M and everything... how many shows was Roiland pitching and why did so many aspects of them end up in R&M? This is basically the domestic half of R&M but with dog people.

"You don't knoooow me!"

Near the end of the second episode of Rick and Morty, when the dogs are leaving Rick starts talking about how a world full of dogs would make for a great TV show.

I think that going in to Season 2 they had a lot, a LOT of hang ups about continuity and during the course of making Season 3 it sounds like they finally got over it.

For example they were gonna have the Meeseeks come back in S2 but then they got all self conscious worrying that people would think they were relying too heavily on old jokes, and then while working on Season 3 they realized "you know what, fuck it, if we have a good idea then it's a good idea and who cares if it reuses an old character or something"

So they may have borked themselves out of an Interdimensional Cable in S3 but I would not be surprised at all if they bring it back in S4. I totally get where they were coming from with their concern but I'm really glad they got over it and will be focusing more good ideas and stories instead of worrying about fan reactions to seeing references and letting that limit the show.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

"You don't knoooow me!"

Dog World was pitched before R&M. It got rejected. The theme song was created for the pitch. When Rick & Morty was created they decided to use the same theme song, since it was good and fit. The guy who does all of the music on Rick & Morty was originally contracted to do that theme music for Dog World.

As mentioned above, the whole joke of the ending to season 1 episode 2 is about Dog World being an idea Roiland wanted greenlit.

Re watched big chunks of S1 and 2, and all of 3. Complaints about S3 not being normal Rick and Morty are just crazy. They've always dealt with personal stuff. The divorce this season is just Jerry being unemployed in season 2.

Every episode is at least a level above the 'worst' episodes in the series. And 1 & 5 are top tier.

I assume that in the season 4 OT people will complain every week about the episode not living up to the season 3 'classics'.

Boem

Okay, but he doesn't say anything about this season being only 10 eps. Everything I've seen up to now says that season 3 will be 14 eps.

Only saw your post just now, but yeah it's going to be 10 episodes instead of 14: http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...ow-many-episodes-online-Netflix-Adult-Swim-TV

But in a special live stream event last month, Harmon announced that the new season will have 10 episodes. Season one had 11 and season two had 10.

Harmon initially revealed at the Magic City Comic-con in December that season three would have as many as 14 episodes.

Speaking this month to TIME, he also said: “We were supposed to do 14 this season. And part of our slowness meant we did less episodes than we were supposed to do.”

He talked about it in other interviews as well, and I'm pretty sure he mentioned it on twitter and Harmontown a couple of times.

Top Bottom