• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrashPlan ends consumer/home backup service

Then it'll be gone. 10TB is a fucking pain to backup offsite.

Okay, that doesn't somehow negate the necessity to backup offsite. Plus, these services do it all for you in the background automatically. If you just let it do it's thing, you'll be backed up without any effort on your part. I guess that's somehow a pain to do nothing...

low-G

I got a free Backblaze service and I was thinking of upgrading to a better service but I guess I may be stuck now...

It's enough for me.

"I don't need to wear a seatbelt I'm a good driver."

I mean I guess I understand if you don't do any work on a computer nor have any personal images nor have a collection of files you care about etc...

Okay, that doesn't somehow negate the necessity to backup offsite. Plus, these services do it all for you in the background automatically. If you just let it do it's thing, you'll be backed up without any effort on your part. I guess that's somehow a pain to do nothing...

Sure, it'll finish six months from now, and meanwhile I'm paying for offsite storage for something that's not related to any kind of business income.

Damnit, I spent last month backing up about 5 tb of data :\ Well at least I'm covered until July 2018, I'll think about something then.

Enco

Crashplans software would grind my gaming pc to a halt, even though it was brand new at the time, switched to backblaze and had 0 problems so far. Would also recommend for people now looking to switch

Their software is garbage.

Glad I ditched them.

Veam is good for local backups. For cloud you can use Dropbox/Onedrive to keep it simple. If you want more serious cloud backups, there are plenty of programs out there. Duplicati is free and allows you to backup to many locations, rsync is popular but not very friendly, Backblaze is simple but isn't free etc.

grmlin

I'm using CrashPlan to backup years and years of photos/videos.
If it's 3$ more a month I'll just upgrade. I will look into the other options too, but I'm not too interested in uploading all my stuff to another service again....

Sure, it'll finish six months from now, and meanwhile I'm paying for offsite storage for something that's not related to any kind of business income.

It's not about business though; it's about proper backup of data. If you can deal with losing 10TB of data, more power to you, but it's a marginal cost that gives you unlimited backup storage that handles it all in the background. While it's backing up, you're still getting use out of it because those files it has transferred will have been backed up. Also there are places that will let you do a hard drive dump to kick start the backup rather than having to upload everything.

I'm using CrashPlan to backup years and years of photos/videos.
If it's 3$ more a month I'll just upgrade. I will look into the other options too, but I'm not too interested in uploading all my stuff to another service again....

Ya, I think we need to be clear here. CrashPlan isn't going away. They're just merging everything under one service which costs more. If you've got several TB of data that you're hesitant to move, you can still use CrashPlan as long as you are willing to pay the higher rate.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
its funny for me to see VEEAM in this space. VEEAM backup and replication for enterprises is THE shit, some of the best backup software i've ever used. They also make the best product to monitor hyperV and VMware that integrates with MS monitoring software. I recommend them to every client I go to, didnt even know they had consumer stuff.

grmlin

According to the migration page it's free for the time my subscription runs and will be discounted by 75% for a year after that. I'm ok with it and can think about it after that again.

One thing might be important for people with lots of data:

Continue your backups without starting over. You can migrate your cloud backups (5 TB or smaller) and all local backups.

captive

According to the migration page it's free for the time my subscription runs and will be discounted by 75% for a year after that. I'm ok with it and can think about it after that again.

One thing might be important for people with lots of data:

uhh if they wont migrate my full data im going to demand a full refund.

Wait, so they gave me 60 extra days and 75% discount for the business plan... O guess that makes it cheaper to back up until about 2020

uhh if they wont migrate my full data im going to demand a full refund.

Ya, that seems strange to me that they just won't migrate everyone's data over completely and have to cap it off and force people to reupload.

What's the price difference between home and small business?

Home was anywhere from $4 to $6 a month depending on what duration you subscribed for. Business looks like it's $10 a month.

"Put the Customer* First"

*not you any more

I feel like they should have just said they were consolidating their services to make it more robust and as a result, you'll get more out of it but there is a slight price increase. Had they went this route, I think it would have been smoother and less people thinking that CrashPlan is gone.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh great. I was like their biggest supporter. I just renewed my yearly subscription a few months ago so I assume they'll let me keep my account until it ends. I still have 10.5 months. Though I believe I can cancel it and get a refund of the remaining time. From what I'm told.

But why?

First 1Password switches to a subscription (Which I so far haven't had affect me yet. When are they switching over? I still cant get a straight answer or monthly price.) and now this? Bah. They're suggesting Carbonite, which when I checked was a bit more pricey. Ugh I don't want to do all that research again. Unless the Small Business plan is affordable enough and not like twice the price or something.

I mean I really feel I should have an off site backup. Even with my local backups, I feel if I cancel and get rid of my only cloud based solution, my house will decide to burn down right then and there. That's how it works, right?

Primus

Shiiiiiiiiit. We've been putting our home customers on Crashplan for years...that's a lot of clients we now have to scramble to find replacement services for.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I sure as shit ain't switching to Small Business. $10 a month per computer? Guess my dad, sister and brother will have to find their own solution and pay their own fees from now on. Well, from 10.5 months from now on. Or possibly less.

captive, you're not going to like this:

What happens to my cloud backups to CrashPlan Central?
Most backups to CrashPlan Central continue automatically.

There is one exception: cloud backups that are larger than 5 TB cannot be migrated to CrashPlan for Small Business, due to technical platform constraints.

If one of your computers has more than 5 TB of data backed up to CrashPlan Central, that computer's cloud backup is permanently lost when you migrate. That computer starts a new backup when you migrate your account to CrashPlan for Small Business. Local backups on that same computer are not affected.

I'd complain that they should do everything possible to migrate the data for you.

I only use their client/service for offline backup (got a home file server).
Any good, reliable, alternatives? Offline, local backup?

Does Backblaze create hidden folders everywhere? I remember before settling onCrashplan, one of their competitors created all of these hidden folders everywhere and it drove me away.

RuGalz

I may just switch to business then....does it support multiple computers. I'm fine with $10 a month if so.

It does, but it's $10 per computer.

I just switched over, it's painless unless you have > 5TB data or are running form non-standard platforms.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
It's not that bad if you have only one computer. Going from Home to Business, it's $2.50 a month from March 2018, l then $10 a month from March 2019. $120 a year is still pretty cheap for unlimited storage.

I'm guessing the Home deal was just way too good to be true and they realized that the amount of data they had to host with the cost was pretty unsustainable.

The Carbonate Core they are offering is really horrible though. $135 for 250GB on multiple computers and $80 each extra $100 GB.

kendrid

Banned
I have 2TB of data and a 1TB data cap thanks to Comcast. Can Backblaze be set so you only upload like 300 GB per month? I could run with Crashplan still backing up to my 4TB drive until the cloud backup is done.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This doesn't help me at all since all the computers I backup are scattered all over. My siblings are in different states. I guess now they're on their own.

CrashPlan had a service that mailed you a hard drive, you loaded everything up (encrypted, of course) and then mail it back to them and they slot it right into your account. That's how I did my initial backup way back when. Not sure if they still offer that for business or if any of their competitors provide something similar.

kendrid

Banned
CrashPlan had a service that mailed you a hard drive, you loaded everything up (encrypted, of course) and then mail it back to them and they slot it right into your account. That's how I did my initial backup way back when. Not sure if they still offer that for business or if any of their competitors provide something similar.

Backblaze offers it for data retrieval but I am not seeing it for the initial backup. It is even free, you just have to pay a deposit on the hard drive.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

IDrive offers this

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Oh, Backblaze is unlimited too?
For some reason I thought it wasn't. Price seems fine and seems to do the same thing. Hopefully with better software.

Anyway, with the extended sub time and then 75% off the business plan for a year I'll just not worry and make the switch in about 2 years from now.

Oh, Backblaze is unlimited too?
For some reason I thought it wasn't. Price seems fine and seems to do the same thing. Hopefully with better software.

Anyway, with the extended sub time and then 75% off the business plan for a year I'll just not worry and make the switch in about 2 years from now.

BackBlaze is unlimited for a Windows or Mac computer. It's not unlimited if you want to back up a NAS.

captive

captive, you're not going to like this:

I'd complain that they should do everything possible to migrate the data for you.

yea sounds like im going to be calling. I signed up for a 5 year plan less than 3 years ago. My "initial" backup took over a year and it literally just finished a month ago.

furthermore this is the most ridiculous thing. I work in data centers. The fact that the data has to be "migrated" is absurd in the first place. If they need to migrate it, they should be able to do that without me even knowing it was moved. Secondly, 5TB seems super arbitrary. There's no reason why they can't "migrate" my full 14tb.

BackBlaze is unlimited for a Windows or Mac computer. It's not unlimited if you want to back up a NAS.

what about a windows server that acts as a NAS :p

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
furthermore this is the most ridiculous thing. I work in data centers. The fact that the data has to be "migrated" is absurd in the first place. If they need to migrate it, they should be able to do that without me even knowing it was moved. Secondly, 5TB seems super arbitrary. There's no reason why they can't "migrate" my full 14tb.
Seriously. They're bullshitting you. This should totally be seamless and behind the scenes.

Li Kao

So what's the verdict ? Backblaze or Crashplan Pro ? Is one software better ?
And one thing I skimmed over is that Crashplan Pro doesn't support computer to computer backup, does it mean that the solution is cloud based only and I won't be able to have an automatic backup on the computer anymore ?

giga

This is why I keep my backups on USB sticks.

You backup your computer to a USB stick every hour and ship them to an external location so they're always protected from damage and/or theft? Seems like a lot of work. I'll pay the $5 for a cloud backup.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

What if the NAS drives are attached to act as normal drives in Windows (attached network hdd)? ...
I mean that's not really different to an external USB device / drive

Would something like Amazon Glacier make sense for a lot of you? Or, the Amazon 'tape-like' service that they do (they send you an HDD, you put your stuff on it, send it back, they transfer it up)?

I store old client archives on glacier, though it's not a lot to store (~30gb), it's just that I never expect to need these backups though I just have them in case some day I ever do. For storage for me it's less than $0.10/month (about a $1/year). If I needed to retrieve a lot of it it would cost more, but typically I'm not retrieving more than 1-2 GB of data so it wouldn't cost much (probably $0.05 or $0.10) for me, and I'd turn that around and expense my client on it anyway.

If you need access to TBs of data on demand then Glacier is not the service for you (either on price or availability), it's more or less used (by me) as long-term catastrophic failure insurance.

anx10us

Banned
So what's the verdict ? Backblaze or Crashplan Pro ? Is one software better ?
And one thing I skimmed over is that Crashplan Pro doesn't support computer to computer backup, does it mean that the solution is cloud based only and I won't be able to have an automatic backup on the computer anymore ?

You can still do a local backup to USB/HDD, the feature that allowed you to backup to a friends house has been cut.

tokkun

What if the NAS drives are attached to act as normal drives in Windows (attached network hdd)? ...
I mean that's not really different to an external USB device / drive

Yes, it works, but not with the simplest version of a mounted network drive. You have to ensure that the drive is mounted in a way that makes it appear like a local drive in the OS. You can do this by using iSCSI if it is supported by your NAS. Alternatively, you can use a third-party program like StableBit CloudDrive (not free) which uses a kernel driver to create a virtual drive, which you can use to mount network shares.

Top Bottom