• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
BBE1.jpg

I feel old for knowing this reference :/

pramath

Banned
Nintendo, thats why.

Surely their increased focus on Fire Emblem, revival of Kid Icarus, being open to giving Star Fox and F-Zero a chance again, and focusing on RPGs again via games like Xenoblade, Last Story, and Pandora's Tower all collectively convey that the company might be more willing than before to try out a risky, niche RPG project? Like I said, I don't want a new game- just the first three games, remastered, re-released on either the Wii U or the 3DS, via either the eShop or retail.

Azure J

Mama Robotnik's MP2:Echoes lost archives thread has now gotten me unreal aroused for a new Metroid game, especially one as alien and meticulous as Echoes was.

Seriously, when I think Metroid, I think of only two games, Super and Prime 2: Echoes with the latter having an amazing influence on myself. Fuck I want to replay that game, but I lost my GCN memory cards a while back and thus all my cube games and their progress are lost to the ether. :(

2 things: FFVII proves you wrong about previous console entries needing to be present to justify a game's existence

Are you seriously comparing Darkstalkers, a semi-obscure Capcom fighting game series, to Final Fantasy, arguably the most popular and well-known RPG series of all time? <_<
It just doesn't seem likely to me, as Capcom usually sticks to either entirely multi-platform or a subseries' main games exclusively released on one console. Darkstalkers was kindasorta multiplatforming (PS and Dreamcast), so I'd expect it to be a multi-platform game. Launch title also doesn't seem likely to me.

and considering the imagery of some of the games already announced for WiiU, I doubt DARKSTALKERS will be a problem.

Dunno, Darkstalkers has beheading, showing bodies being cut apart, of course the serious sexual undertone of some characters and certain attack types (mostly Demitri's "turn everyone to a girl and then drain them into skeletons"-move), nudity, and fighting inside of a giant uterus with an embryo floating in the background... Of course it's all cartoony and over the top, but it's still there.
The game series is much darker than you'd expect, honestly.

You don't deserve my avatar's namesake.

If you really have to add silly stabs like that towards your argument, you don't deserve my namesake's appearance as avatar.

Terrell

Are you seriously comparing Darkstalkers, a semi-obscure Capcom fighting game series, to Final Fantasy, arguably the most popular and well-known RPG series of all time? <_<

Sorry, let's try with the several dozen others that changed hands when Nintendo lost its dominant standing in the market.
And you may recall that at the time that VII was released, Final Fantasy wasn't the gigantic name it is now. But revisionist history does that to people.

It just doesn't seem likely to me, as Capcom usually sticks to either entirely multi-platform or a subseries' main games exclusively released on one console. Darkstalkers was kindasorta multiplatforming (PS and Dreamcast), so I'd expect it to be a multi-platform game. Launch title also doesn't seem likely to me.

It's a good thing no one said it would be an exclusive then, isn't it?

Dunno, Darkstalkers has beheading, showing bodies being cut apart, of course the serious sexual undertone of some characters and certain attack types (mostly Demitri's "turn everyone to a girl and then drain them into skeletons"-move), nudity, and fighting inside of a giant uterus with an embryo floating in the background... Of course it's all cartoony and over the top, but it's still there.
The game series is much darker than you'd expect, honestly.

I'm familiar with the series, thanks, including the intentional limb detachments complete with blood trail in pretty much all of Jedah's regular melee attacks.

As long as it gets only an M rating, Nintendo will take it. Christ, they let Rockstar publish Manhunt 2, which they had to blur the violence for on all platforms just to achieve an M rating. You're making too much out of the content for no reason, it's seriously fair game unless Capcom edits the series for home releases yet again of its own volition like they did for Vampire Savior on PS1.

Playing Earthbound.
Oh God, this game.
What are the odds we get the series this gen? Maybe on the Wii U? Maybe on its eShop, if not via retail? I mean, we deserve these games, we really do.

If not Wii U, maybe on the 3DS? Please?

I just bought an EB cart and Player's guide off eBay last night and am looking forward to finally playing it, made a thread here if you wanna check it out:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=471296&page=1

I don't see why NCL doesn't just cave in and modify the legally worrisome bits of the game and put all three on a nice 3DS compilation if they're not willing to change the original game for VC.

Sorry, let's try with the several dozen others that changed hands when Nintendo lost its dominant standing in the market.
And you may recall that at the time that VII was released, Final Fantasy wasn't the gigantic name it is now. But revisionist history does that to people.

Of course it wasn't as big as it was back then, but it still was pretty well-established. Darkstalkers is still really fucking obscure in comparison to SNES era FF.

It's a good thing no one said it would be an exclusive then, isn't it?

I'm sure it has been mentioned before, which is why I was opposing that sentiment. If it wasn't, then I misunderstood. It happens - I am not good with English after all.

As long as it gets only an M rating, Nintendo will take it. Christ, they let Rockstar publish Manhunt 2, which they had to blur the violence for on all platforms just to achieve an M rating. You're making too much out of the content for no reason, it's seriously fair game unless Capcom edits the series for home releases yet again of its own volition like they did for Vampire Savior on PS1.

Fair enough.

Deguello

...change the music in the offending parts. It's been done before.

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't that something that Shigesato Itoi is personally against? One of the very dedicated Earthbound fansites essentially said as much, that NOA really wanted to release Earthbound on VC and stuff, and knew they were going to have to change the music around, and that NCL refused. At least I think it said that...

AH here it is: http://starmen.net/ebvc/

Wouldn't be the first time NOA got hate for something out of their control.

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't that something that Shigesato Itoi is personally against?

I've never read that Itoi himself was against the changes, just NCL. The famous Starmen article linked doesn't mention Itoi, just what we already know regarding NCL themselves refusing to give in to NOA's lawyers. Unless that was at Itoi's insistence or they just were too lazy to make changes like most of their other VC games, heck they wouldn't even include rumble in SF 64 or OoT so not surprising they'd be even less likely to go through the huge list of pop song riffs/references in EB.

So on the 25th we will get the 3DS update.
On 26 is Nintendo end of fiscal year financial briefing, hope something good will come from it.

Off topic: Is Google celebrating Nomura's birthday?

Hiltz

I kind of hope Nintendo doesn't spill the beans on Wii U information when we are just a couple of weeks away from E3. At least with the 3DS, Nintendo has Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Pokemon Black & White 2, Fire Emblem, Mario Tennis, Luigi's Mansion 2, and New Super Mario Brothers 2 to choose to reveal more news and trailers for. We also could hear which games will be included in Kirby's 20th anniversary complication title. There's like more than 10 platformer games and a handful of spin-off titles for Nintendo to choose from. Of course, most of the ones on the virtual console will be on it.

They're definitely not gonna "spill the beans" but at this point we need something to tide us over, more confirmation of Mario U, info on VC content transfer, NiN tidbits, a single screen, anything.

We should.

Thursday night for us I believe. We might get the Friday at the latest if no one live blogs/tweets it.

The presentations usually go up pretty quickly afterwards on the IR site (in Japanese, at least, but that's why you have people like me), followed by the Q&As.

So guys, if they reveal Pikmiin and Olimario was replaced by a Mii...how would you feel?

Table flips everywhere.

Also, I see what you did there.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Unless I'm mistaken, isn't that something that Shigesato Itoi is personally against? One of the very dedicated Earthbound fansites essentially said as much, that NOA really wanted to release Earthbound on VC and stuff, and knew they were going to have to change the music around, and that NCL refused. At least I think it said that...

AH here it is: http://starmen.net/ebvc/

Wouldn't be the first time NOA got hate for something out of their control.

they should just pay the licensing fees or w/e :p
or try to get some deal by acknowledging the songs in the credits or something.

So guys, if they reveal Pikmiin and Olimario was replaced by a Mii...how would you feel?
Rage!
Seriously though I expect them to focus on Nintendo's online and that you can now buy eShop games for 3DS from websites and and smartphones. Plus a logo or two of Wii U games that we already know about.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
They won't spill any of their big stuff, I think at most we'll get a lot of general information just like we did the last investors meeting.

I actually predict another Weekly News Magazine feature on the new controller like they did with the Wii back in Time- May 2006.

20060515_400.jpg

Though, this time the controller isn't as new and interesting as the original Wii controller was.

Yen

I saw someone in another thread mention an NDA on WiiU games. What's that all about? Can developers not announce games or something?

Terrell

I saw someone in another thread mention an NDA on WiiU games. What's that all about? Can developers not announce games or something?

Pretty much.

Exhibit A: Project CARS promo material has a WiiU logo one day, and the next day it's gone.

Exhibit B: Previously announced titles, such as Darksiders II, have ZERO WiiU-related media.

Exhibit C: What, you thought absolutely NO GAME ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR A YEAR was normal?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom