• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Commencing route C

d00.jpg

It looks like we got both Nier 2 and 3 in the same package and Yoko Taro saved all his YokoTaro-ness for this route O.O

Jiraiza

Are the other play-throughs better than the first from a story point of view? I found the main story to be really, really bland for a Taro game. I've played around a couple of hours of the second playthrough and I'm finding it just as bland. I'm loath to keep playing.

It's one of those games that hit you like a truck after you finish it. Then again, I don't know any other games that does this, so it's THE game that does it.

I always feel like the odd one out because very few games have had to "grab me" to get me to buy into it. Usually if I don't like it at the start, I won't like it at all. And if I love it, I loved it from the beginning. People always sorta say "keep playing" or "you have to get to X before it gets good" but...almost every game I've ever liked I never had to trudge through shit to get to the good parts.

Like, I haven't even gotten the first ending yet and just fought
Adam for control of 9S' SOOOOOUUUUUULLLLLL but not really
and I've loved it from the intro up to this point.

I always feel like the odd one out because very few games have had to "grab me" to get me to buy into it. Usually if I don't like it at the start, I won't like it at all. And if I love it, I loved it from the beginning. People always sorta say "keep playing" or "you have to get to X before it gets good" but...almost every game I've ever liked I never had to trudge through shit to get to the good parts.

Like, I haven't even gotten the first ending yet and just fought
Adam for control of 9S' SOOOOOUUUUUULLLLLL but not really
and I've loved it from the intro up to this point.

I look forward to your further reactions from Route A to Route E.

bbd23

Route B - I love the new scenes and just completed the
amusement park
boss. that was kinda sad...

I appear to be doing no damage at all sometimes...I think im level 30 or 31...is this normal?
not a fan of all this hacking. spent like 10 minutes hacking those big gold dudes in the city ruins

amusement park

I appear to be doing no damage at all sometimes...I think im level 30 or 31...is this normal?
not a fan of all this hacking. spent like 10 minutes hacking those big gold dudes in the city ruins
Hacking is so OP. I'd ignore the gold fam for now

Astral

Holy shit I played 8 hours today. I couldn't put it down. I don't think I'm very far into the story though since I've mostly been doing side quests. I just fought
Adam and Eve
. I admit the side quests are getting kind of annoying with all the running around you need to do. I remember the side quests being one of the criticisms of the first Nier so I avoided them completely. Some of these are fun though, with the occasional stupid fetch quest. Is there a point of no return for them? I don't wanna accidentally beat the game before I finish most of them.

Holy shit I played 8 hours today. I couldn't put it down. I don't think I'm very far into the story though since I've mostly been doing side quests. I just fought
Adam and Eve
. I admit the side quests are getting kind of annoying with all the running around you need to do. I remember the side quests being one of the criticisms of the first Nier so I avoided them completely. Some of these are fun though, with the occasional stupid fetch quest. Is there a point of no return for them? I don't wanna accidentally beat the game before I finish most of them.
yes, i believe it has something to do with the sea and missiles.

Ruff

Adam and Eve

Honestly while some quests may go for a bit from act to act, by the end every quest will be available to do at leisure.

I recommend doing them as you see them though, a lot of them offer some real context to otherwise baffling plot elements.

edit: Woops Didn't mean to double post my bad!

Slater

Banned
I like his character ,and his gameplay offered a very different experience.

But I honestly can't get over his design. He looks like a fucking child(but his role in the story is that of a full grown adult).Its ridiculous.

I wish he looked like Adam or Eve instead.Then he would be an even match to 2B.

As great as NieR is,it couldn't escape some JRPG tropes.

Everything about this is either so off the mark or missing the point so hard it physically hurts.

You think 9S looking like a child isn't completely on purpose? You think him always being portrayed as weaker and smaller then 2B isn't the fucking point? That him waying less then her and being carried by her on the cover doesn't mean something? That his design clashes hard with the way he acts is just random?

Fuck no, that jarring feeling when this young looking kid casually suggests murder of clearly sapient beings is intentional, the fact that he doesn't look like Adam or Eve is crucial to his role in the story and as a foil to 2B, he Isn't a typical JRPG coprotag hot boy his relationship with 2B is so far beyond that and it starts with him looking like a small boy compared to her fierce women warrior, anyone who has played through Route C should easily understand why his design works ESPECIALLY in contrast to 2B giving the nature of there full relationship.

It's hard to talk about with out jumping into spoilers but his design is perfect from a thematic and subtexual level all the way up and any lack of appreciation for that is infuriating.

aravuus

Fuck, gotta work till 5pm. Might not have the time to finish route B today.

In the meantime, guess I'll work to the tunes of the soundtrack. Unless there are song names that are massive spoilers?

e: actually maybe I'll just listen to the amusement park theme fore the next 7 hours and 45 minutes lol

Philtastic

Beat ending A in ~17 hours. Great game! Wish that I hadn't done a lot of the side quests before unlocking fast travel. Also wish that [spoiler about chests]
I could have opened the hackable chests when I had found them on the first play through. Now I've got to be OCD with exploration and track them all down again!

Moaradin

Beat ending A in ~17 hours. Great game! Wish that I hadn't done a lot of the side quests before unlocking fast travel. Also wish that [spoiler about chests]
I could have opened the hackable chests when I had found them on the first play through. Now I've got to be OCD with exploration and track them all down again!

You can get a chip in route b that shows all the chest on the minimap, so it makes that a lot easier.

HeelPower

Everything about this is either so off the mark or missing the point so hard it physically hurts.

You think 9S looking like a child isn't completely on purpose? You think him always being portrayed as weaker and smaller then 2B isn't the fucking point? That him waying less then her and being carried by her on the cover doesn't mean something? That his design clashes hard with the way he acts is just random?

Fuck no, that jarring feeling when this young looking kid casually suggests murder of clearly sapient beings is intentional, the fact that he doesn't look like Adam or Eve is crucial to his role in the story and as a foil to 2B, he Isn't a typical JRPG coprotag hot boy his relationship with 2B is so far beyond that and it starts with him looking like a small boy compared to her fierce women warrior, anyone who has played through Route C should easily understand why his design works ESPECIALLY in contrast to 2B giving the nature of there full relationship.

It's hard to talk about with out jumping into spoilers but his design is perfect from a thematic and subtexual level all the way up and any lack of appreciation for that is infuriating.

Calm down :p

I like the idea behind him,conceptually I like him a lot.

I still don't like the way he looks ,and I think there are countless examples of such similar pairings in anime and games (for instance look at Lighting and Hope from FFXIII,Raki and Claire from Claymore)
Clare_y_Raki.PNG

I don't particularly like these kinds of pairings(neither when genders are swapped too)
I respect the character conceptually,just don't dig his visual design.

I'm going to disagree here and say that

(General late game story spoilers)

If anything the Machines are the humans of this universe but both the Machines and the Androids are still in the early stages of conscious evolution, the Machines are just a bit further along (Not all of them but certain groups).

I disagee and I think his design was entirely intentional - like most things in this game.

(Read only if you've completed all endings)

He is designed to look young because he is supposed to come across as naive and a bit innocent while also being extremely inquisitive about the world, as most young children are. I thought his design perfectly fit his character, his relationship with 2B, his role in the story and his role as a scanner in Project YorHa. I think if he looked like Adam or Eve he would have come across as a very different character.

Since I am still working on Route C,I'll come to this when I am done.

Thanks for the comments though!

amusement park

I was in my 30s on the path to Ending C on Hard. Now that's doing no damage.

But,
those gold dudes are supposed to be dicks.

Milijango

Will I miss anything substantial if i skip the side quests? these fetch quests are bumming me out

Some of them will add a lot to your experience of the main story in later playthroughs. Singling them out probably ruins the surprise, as you'd be expecting them to pay off anyway. If you really must know then (side quest names follow)
Amnesia, Jean-Paul's Melancholy, Find a Present, Data Analysis Freak, and Gathering Keepsakes
come to mind but they're definitely not alone.

Some of them will add a lot to your experience of the main story in later playthroughs. Singling them out probably ruins the surprise, as you'd be expecting them to pay off anyway. If you really must know then (side quest names follow)
Amnesia, Jean-Paul's Melancholy, Find a Present, Data Analysis Freak, and Gathering Keepsakes
come to mind but they're definitely not alone.

Good writing and world building yes. And there are a few sidequest that are absolutely substantial.

Okay I will stick it out!

TI82

Banned
Just did the desert area, first playthrough I guess? Game runs really fine on my PC too.

That boss fight was so weird...
machines crying out in pain/horror, hiding with their loved ones as I hunt them down? Then giving birth to a... person?

Very odd. My first game by this guy.

chrono01

I just completed the Flooded City area and retrieved
9S's body
. However, I noticed a few of my side-quests, such as the one with the couple who I need to 50k as well as the Yorha Betrayer's ones, have been removed from my mini-map. I read that nothing in this game is missable, aside from one of the endings that you need to let a certain boss
self-destruct
to see, but aside form that I thought I was able to do all of the quests at my leisure. Will they return to my mini-map, and if so, when can I expect that? Sorry, as little spoilers as you can, I'm kind of paranoid when it comes to them (especially, for this one).

Also, do the choices in the dialogue affect anything? The reason I ask is because one of early side-quests, the one where you needed to find a missing Yorha at the Abandoned Factory who you later found out
was defecting and leaving the force
, and I chose to hold back the information since I felt the one looking for her suffered enough and shouldn't have had to deal with the additional truth. Now she just kind of stands there saying she doesn't need to defend herself anymore and I feel kind of bad about it. :/

i wrote down the location of all of the ones i found to reduce the amount of time my gaming ocd tendencies (i don't have actual ocd, but games bring out a completionist part of myself) would force me to spend looking for them later

You can get a chip in route b that shows all the chest on the minimap, so it makes that a lot easier.

lol, looks like i didn't have to go to all that effort then

i combed huge areas like the desert and the city
the city twice, to find anything new after the appearance of the crater
. looks like i could have saved some time with that too, lol

Just did the desert area, first playthrough I guess? Game runs really fine on my PC too.

That boss fight was so weird...
machines crying out in pain/horror, hiding with their loved ones as I hunt them down? Then giving birth to a... person?

Very odd. My first game by this guy.

This. Cannot. Continue.
This. Cannot. Continue.
This. Cannot. Continue.
This. Cannot. Continue.
This. Cannot. Continue.

loved how that line made it into the track

Shengar

I'm running a GTX 970 and and still an old i5 3350p.

Should I bother with Nier Automata?
Should be enough since I can rock 50-60fps on lower settinh (its low setting only makes it to look like PS4 version so it still demanding). If it's not to your liking you can always refund it.

Yo!

That YohRa Betrayal sidequest...tried to do it in Route A, I went to all three points marked on the map, I looked everywhere, but couldn't find anyone. I thougt "Well, alright then" and just moved on. Now in Route B I'm having the same issue. Is the quest glitched or am I just too dumb?

chrono01

Yo!

That YohRa Betrayal sidequest...tried to do it in Route A, I went to all three points marked on the map, I looked everywhere, but couldn't find anyone. I thougt "Well, alright then" and just moved on. Now in Route B I'm having the same issue. Is the quest glitched or am I just too dumb?
Happened to me too (see above). :(

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Beat Route B.

The
9S-specific segments
were all way more interesting than anything on Route A. Still thought the
ending was cheesy (9S is dead! Except not. Like that was ever in question...) but who were those two people!?

Man if the game was just parts A and B, or even just part A, I'd be satisfied.

Then part C hit.

Damn.

Yo!

Did you check on top of the building? You have to scale the big one and cross the bridge.

Beat Route B.

The
9S-specific segments
were all way more interesting than anything on Route A. Still thought the
ending was cheesy (9S is dead! Except not. Like that was ever in question...) but who were those two people!?

The
back story of the opera singer boss
was insane!!!!

Yo!

That
YohRa Betrayal sidequest
...tried to do it in Route A, I went to all three points marked on the map, I looked everywhere, but couldn't find anyone. I thougt "Well, alright then" and just moved on. Now in Route B I'm having the same issue. Is the quest glitched or am I just too dumb?

i don't know, i managed to do it on route a

met them
first time on top of the goliath and second time on top of the skyscraper where you enter first time you get into the area

actually weren't looking for them, just ran into them randomly

also, maybe you should spoiler mark the name of the quest

IKizzLE

Completed the game for the first time and...meh. 6 or 7/10. So many questions, no answers. Like....i have no clue what the fuck the deal is with machines or command. Definitely not my favorite platinum work. Judging from responses here I have to beat the game more times?!? Ehhh, I might a couple days down the line.

Jintor

Completed the game for the first time and...meh. 6 or 7/10. So many questions, no answers. Like....i have no clue what the fuck the deal is with machines or command. Definitely not my favorite platinum work. Judging from responses here I have to beat the game more times?!? Ehhh, I might a couple days down the line.

i think the vibe i'm getting is you basically finished act 1 of 3.

Sevyne

If you have only gone through route A, then no you have not "completed the game". Not even close.

Moaradin

You definitely haven't beat it then

Moonkid

Small detail from Route B I'm wondering about:

Mothership cutscene when Adam and Eve leave as the fight ends, I could have sworn there was someone, a girl I think, in the background to the left. Am I imagining things?? D:

Keep going if you only just played A.

Top Bottom