• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spin the Bottle Wii U

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
New trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtt99SUtEEw

Reaches the eShop on August 8, priced at $9/€7.

"Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party is our attempt to explore these unique possibilities of the Wii U," said KnapNok's Lau Korsgaard. "Players sit in a circle looking at each other doing silly, wacky and embarrassing stuff. This is a game that couldn't have been developed for any other console and we are super excited to see how the audience will receive it."

All of which gives you an idea of how Spin the Bottle plays, as should the suitably quirky new trailer, highlighting how the game focuses attention around the GamePad, and doesn't use the TV at all.
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/25/spin-the-bottle-points-at-wii-u-next-month/

That's quite a new take on Off TV and party games :)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
tumblr_m1ilqnokz31qbdxog.gif

Damn you beat me!

marc^o^

1st review is out :)

Nintendoworldreport: 8/10
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/35082
The first thing that you need to know is that Spin the Bottle is played without a television. You can use the big screen if you want better audio, but it isn’t required otherwise. The game would like you to gather around a table, with some additional room to move about when needed. Two to eight players, who each pick crazy character and a name to compete with, can play the regular party game mode. In each round, one player spins the bottle on the Wii U GamePad and is then randomly paired with a friend. Their goal is to work together in a collaborative challenge and by completing one of the various mini-games presented, they will earn a flower.
The various challenges are performed with Wii Remotes and the Wii U GamePad. It’s best to have two Wii Remotes active, though some of the games can still be enjoyed with one. Currently the experience only offers 17 games, but there are definite plans to expand the software over time. The ones on offer are certainly fun, and quite varied. There is, for example, Invisible Beach Tennis, in which two players will have to listen close to the sounds in their Wii Remotes and hit a ball back and forth. A good GamePad challenge can be found in Jumper, in which one person has a Wii Remote in his pocket and the other person studies the terrain on the screen. Another personal favorite was Blind Dog, in which two sit on opposite sides. One player is blindfolded and will have to find the Wii Remote, which is behind the other player's back.
Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party is not a game per se, but a fun multiplayer experience in its own right. While the selection of games is limited at the moment, the various rules and difficulty settings do kind of make up for it. In the future, there will be more games added to the package and these will be free if you purchase the package early. Don't go in this software and expect a crazy full blown game out of it, but you will really enjoy your crazy moments with your friends and family. You will need people who are a little crazy, just like yourself, but it is way more rewarding when you finally do.
Day 1.

RazorK1d

No online play no buy.

:p
Makes absolutely no sense for the kind of party game it is. I think I'll pick this up now. It sounds clever with a lot of out of the box uses for the hardware in a party setting and it reminds me of Johan Sebastian joust. Plus getting new addons potentially for free at a modest initial ground floor price sounds good to me.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
If it helps, the UK Official Nintendo Magazine gave it 88%. Kinda amusing as it's only 2% under what they scored Pikmin 3. LOL.

marc^o^

Some more informations found on IGN:

HISTORY
The people behind KnapNok Games have since 2008 been part of Copenhagen Game Collective and developed experimental party games such as Dark Room Sex Game (an awkward no-graphics erotic rhythm game) and B.U.T.T.O.N. (a roughhouse game about pushing buttons and cheating. The fact that the Wii U console is the first console which let you play with turned off TV screen makes it an obvious platform for a party game where players look at each other rather than the screen. KnapNok Games naturally decided to embrace this opportunity and design a party game for the young and the adault audince. KnapNok Games teamed up with Swedish indie studio Redgrim.

FEATURES
- Play while the TV is turned off! Use only the Wii U GamePad and Wii Remotes.
- Gameplay that makes the players look at each other.
- Über cute graphics.
- Crispy music by Swedish musician/hacker Nicklas Ström.
- Innocent game for innocent kids.

I predict this game will get more people laid than any other videogame.
Which game would it have to beat, Nintendogs?

This is the kind of game worth purchasing blindly just to see just how the Wii U can be used creatively. I'll definitely pick this up to check it out.

Jackano

I hope for the developer the game sells decently over the time.
It's always cool to see Wii U exclusives, and the game doesn't let anyone indifferent to say the least. And for that it has my support!

Also, this thread seems to be another graveyard (too much penis jokes?).

cacildo

ONM gave it 82% Nintendoworld gave it 8/10.

You have Google, use that bro.

)

booo i wanted you to give me links! Its more friendly than just saying "theres google, use it" :)

anyway, isnt there some kind of grudge against reviews of nintendo-only games from nintendo-only magazines? (i dont even follow the review sites/magazines anymore, thats why im asking)

SuperSah

Banned
booo i wanted you to give me links! Its more friendly than just saying "theres google, use it" :)

anyway, isnt there some kind of grudge against reviews of nintendo-only games from nintendo-only magazines? (i dont even follow the review sites/magazines anymore, thats why im asking)

I apologise if I came across as rude. I'm on mobileGAF right now, so fetching links is a chore.

Yeah, people see it as bias because it's Nintendo and they generally score highly.

Tenki

I've been playing it (I have a review copy) and I love it. The other day we were 5 friends and some alcohol and we had a lot of fun.

The game is great for drunk parties :lol

cacildo

I apologise if I came across as rude. I'm on mobileGAF right now, so fetching links is a chore.

Yeah, people see it as bias because it's Nintendo and they generally score highly.

sorry for being pushy! i know the hurdles of answering while mobile :)

I've been playing it (I have a review copy) and I love it. The other day we were 5 friends and some alcohol and we had a lot of fun.

The game is great for drunk parties :lol

im not sure ill buy the game, but it does make me happy to know people are enjoying the game and seeing it as something special

Exile20

Anyone creating an OT for Spin the bottle?

I would love to see people post youtube vids of themselves playing the game.

I have people over all of the time so I am for sure getting it.

Haines

Banned
anyone have a link to the pricing structure? i remember it being a small fee now that gets bigger the more they add stuff to it, but you get it free if you opt in now?

I'm just glad games like this are being made.

Downloading day 1. With this, Cloudberry Kingdom, Earthbound and Pikmin 3, it looks like my WiiU is finally going to get some love.

SuperSah

Banned
Thinking about it, are there any game reviewers in existence that don't "generally score highly"?

Unlikely. They get paid for it and often bribed to rate it even higher.

sorry for being pushy! i know the hurdles of answering while mobile :)

im not sure ill buy the game, but it does make me happy to know people are enjoying the game and seeing it as something special

Most decent GAF member award really has to go to you man, props to you! :)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

To be fair, they're a lot more critical than they used to be (New team - some of the old NGamer staff have taken over.) For example, they rated Street Pass Garden aka Flower Town 55% in the same issue. Even Luigi U only got 78%.

SuperSah

Banned
To be fair, they're a lot more critical than they used to be (New team - some of the old NGamer staff have taken over.) For example, they rated Street Pass Garden aka Flower Town 55% in the same issue. Even Luigi U only got 78%.

It's a mixed bag. ONM overrates considerably and gives almost all Ninty games over 90%, but some also severely underrate them.

It's such a large mixed bag.

llehuty

anyone have a link to the pricing structure? i remember it being a small fee now that gets bigger the more they add stuff to it, but you get it free if you opt in now?

Initial prize: 6.99 €, 8.99 $, from the official page.

From an interview @ eurogamer:

"Our strategy is inspired by how indie PC games has been sold for years now. We will launch at a price around €7 / $9 but keep adding content and raise the price for each new update. People buying in early get all future updates for free. The important thing is that we will be open and earnest about it, we will 'warn' about an upcoming update and encourage people to buy while the price is low."

I'm ok with the price, seems fair for a novelty. I'm hoping the developers make a profit just to encourage more risky and niche games in the system.

batbeg

This seems like a disturbingly obvious use of my $30 back on the eShop. I don't imagine I'll have many chances to enjoy this regularly, but when I do get those chances they'll be super fun. It's just like a board game with Wii peripherals. Neat.

This looks absolutely superb; I'm pretty excited about having this alongside Nintendoland for nights in with others. Once Mario Kart, Smash Bros and 3D World arrive and if some magic can happen to allow for versions of Mount Your Friends and Hidden In Plain Sight on Wii U it'll pretty much be a new golden age of local multiplayer for me.

Top Bottom