• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Savitar

I can't wait to get this, I'm sure I'll end up playing more than a few games with my brother and his fiancee in the future as well since they love the game too.

Sales should be crazy, probably up there with the Zelda ones if not more.

Firebrand

Probably for MK9. Waluigi Pinball and Maple Treeway were already in MK7 so they probably didn't want to repeat them again. They would have been amazing in MK8 visuals though, and I'd be interested in seeing how they work out ant-gravity in Pinball especially.

PS: Music Park is awesome.

You mean Melody Motorway (and Piranha Plant Pipeway, and Koopa City...)? ;) It bothers me a tiny bit that it's called that in the EU versions when it says Music Park right there on the goddamn flags. :p

Basically nearly every MK song deserves to be revisited by the MK8 band

But especially Maple Treeway and Waluigi Pinball

It's much more so the prospect of revamped music that has me wishing for more tracks than the track designs themselves (except again for GOAT Maple Treeway which has it all)

You mean Melody Motorway (and Piranha Plant Pipeway, and Koopa City...)? ;) It bothers me a tiny bit that it's called that in the EU versions when it says Music Park right there on the goddamn flags. :p
I like Melody Motorway better :p just like I prefer Alpine Pass to Rock Rock Mountain. I just usually go with the US names on discussion boards.

I just got a mail for that pre-order bonus. Awesome

NNNGGGGGG. Gotta keep telling myself it's essentially £20 on my Amazon order wwith the BIGTHANKS thing they did.

I'm in the same boat. I just can't do it. Would bite on this if it wasn't for that amazon code

GODDAMMIT WHY CANT THIS COME WITH A DIGITAL VERSION OF THE GAME?!

Are they selling that shirt on its own separately by any chance?

Looks like its exclusive to pre-orders

Ebay after looks like you best bet.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So I just looked on their site and checked out their shirts for sale. Just typical Nintendo stuff for the most part. Then right at the bottom there's a t shirt for The Vamps. Wut.

I'm kinda worried about the performance of this game online. Is this unlikely to suffer from lag like Bomberman R? I tried Smash 3DS when it first came out, and it was near unplayable with 4 people. I figured that happened because of bad connections due to it being a handheld.

Are there any impressions from reviewers or those that got it early? That's assuming that the servers are up already.

I'm kinda worried about the performance of this game online. Is this unlikely to suffer from lag like Bomberman R? I tried Smash 3DS when it first came out, and it was near unplayable with 4 people. I figured that happened because of bad connections due to it being a handheld.

Are there any impressions from reviewers or those that got it early? That's assuming that the servers are up already.
Mario Kart 8 had a pretty good netcode, I see it not being much of an issue at all.

Aleh

People like Maple Treeway? Wow. Ok.

I want Wario Shipyard, Bowser's Castle DS, Peach Gardens, Block Fort, Tart Top, Pipe Plaza and Funky Stadium as DLC.

I played vanilla MK8 online frequently on a pretty bad connection (sorry everyone else), but it still went plenty smooth for me. Mario Kart netcode tends to be very very good, and 8 was no exception for me.

People like Maple Treeway? Wow. Ok.

I want Wario Shipyard, Bowser's Castle DS, Peach Gardens, Block Fort, Tart Top, Pipe Plaza and Funky Stadium as DLC.

I'll forgive your flippant dismissal of Maple Treeway's greatness because of your Tart Top mention. But you better be careful disrespecting the best Mario Kart track.

ShiT

I don't know how I keep doing silly shit like this. Guess I just never payed much attention to that track haha

Still would like to see it return for the anti-grav possibilities. The retro courses in 8 are really brilliant in that they're really smartly incorporated into the design philosophy of the new stages' mechanics.

daffy

Banned
Honestly? It's Mario Kart. Who gives a fuck?

God forbid you play a game because you enjoy it.

I hate to break this to you, but all video games are a glorified time sink. Even when you get nice unlocks from playing.

Welcome to video games in general.

This applies to literally every game, with or without online multiplayer, you play for fun, not for worthless achievements.

As opposed to what?

carrot-on-stick.jpg

Or you know just play the game because it's fun? Why does everything have to have some dangling reward or some pointless badge system?

If the game isn't fun for you then sell it and move on.
Deflection 101. I guess the answer is: Nintendo isn't lazy. Its fans just live in a simple ass reality. But whatever, I'll drop this after the online service goes live so its not a big deal.

So who's going digital and who's going physical for this? I was really tempted to go digital, but I'll get $10 off via Best Buy GCU and earn enough points to redeem a $5 certificate. Given the lack of installs for cartridges, I really don't mind physical here.

So who's going digital and who's going physical for this? I was really tempted to go digital, but I'll get $10 off via Best Buy GCU and earn enough points to redeem a $5 certificate. Given the lack of installs for cartridges, I really don't mind physical here.

Physical because I don't mind carrying a small game case around with me when I take my handhelds out, so switching cartridges isn't a problem for me at all. Digital convenience is neat, but I like having the physical media.

Plus the boxart is beautiful

I see, thanks.

I managed to find a tutorial video of this in action. It's better than nothing I guess but not the same since you have to build up speed and a drift first.
I wonder why they took it out? The one thing that always bothered me about the battle mode is that the karts have such bad turning angles, they control awkwardly at slow speeds when you're constantly trying to turn yourself around.

Oh well, i'm sure I can learn to get used to it.

Spin turn is still there too, people must just not be using it in what you saw.

Timeaisis

The fact of the matter is, besides unlocking car parts, there's no progression system. No real reward for being a beast because the points are accumulated essentially just from playing alot, and the rubberbanding is so ridiculous that even highly skilled players will take several losses.

Would it really have killed Nintendo to add a badge reward system like COD or some sort of trophy room? Apparently so. Online play is just a glorified time sink.

This is probably a joke post, but come on now. All online play is a time sink. People didn't play 200+ hours of MK8 because it had a progression system, but because it was fun. Some people have the weirdest priorities for video games these days, I swear.

I wonder why they took it out? The one thing that always bothered me about the battle mode is that the karts have such bad turning angles, they control awkwardly at slow speeds when you're constantly trying to turn yourself around.

Oh well, i'm sure I can learn to get used to it.

In Mario Kart Wii the A+B stand-still miniturbo was overused as a way to get back to (almost) max speed in races, which completely killed the acceleration stat. It was then removed in Mario Kart 7.

Besides, it could lead to item box camping in battle mode. Also notice how in Mario Kart 8 Nintendo prevented item boxes from respawning if there's someone nearby.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i just want to drive by and say i hated the game on wii u and i can't wait to play the real version with a proper baturu mode on my switch

Gnomist

But whatever, I'll drop this after the online service goes live so its not a big deal.

I don't disagree with your comment. It's nice to have goals to work towards and rewards as tiny milestones. Overwatch is fun to play, but that doesn't mean I don't want to have loot boxes to open and unlockables to earn for my favorite characters. Same thing here. If anything, it gives me more motivation to play Mario Kart beyond when I'm in a multiplayer mood. I can appreciate that some people treat this as a solely social game and don't want to have a ton of characters locked away behind hours of single player, but I think there could be a better balance reached. Maybe single player could have the typical progression of unlocks and multiplayer would be far more generous with what's available from the start so more types of players are accounted for? There's never going to be any one setup that everyone agrees is perfect, but there are improvements to be made.

Unicorn

The fact that Block Fort IS NOT present gives me hope of further updates.

Need me as many options for Battle Mode as possible. If it takes a DLC pack of Block Fort and GBA Battle arenas to come out with survival and no time limit... so be it.

Unicorn

Deflection 101. I guess the answer is: Nintendo isn't lazy. Its fans just live in a simple ass reality. But whatever, I'll drop this after the online service goes live so its not a big deal.

Which Mario Kart rewarded skilled players, ever?

ShiT

I don't know how I keep doing silly shit like this. Guess I just never payed much attention to that track haha

Yeah I feel like I only learned that Waluigi Pinball and Wario Stadium had the same music this year, despite playing DS to death, maybe I'd just forgotten but I was tempted to bump the mind blowing shocking secrets thread

Kebiinu

Banned

Meanwhile, we'll all be having fun just for the sake of it. :)

I mean, is it that hard to believe that some people are happy just playing video games, and that's the market Nintendo serves?

hatchx

Banned
The fact that Block Fort IS NOT present gives me hope of further updates.

Need me as many options for Battle Mode as possible. If it takes a DLC pack of Block Fort and GBA Battle arenas to come out with survival and no time limit... so be it.

I love Block Fort as much as the next person, but am I the only one who wants Big Donut as well? Imagine Big Donut re-imagined with the anti gravity? You could drive around the whole donut!

I love Block Fort as much as the next person, but am I the only one who wants Big Donut as well? Imagine Big Donut re-imagined with the anti gravity? You could drive around the whole donut!
You are not alone, sir. In fact, Big Donut got about as much play time as Block Fort did among my group of friends. So goood.

Peltz

MK7 was really good online on 3DS. Same with MK8 and most Wii U owners used Wifi.

I think it will be good. Racing games are some of the easiest ones to have good online play. They don't need the best connection and it's very hard to tell with things get out of sync.

hatchx

Banned
You are not alone, sir. In fact, Big Donut got about as much play time as Block Fort did among my group of friends. So goood.

I really hope MK8DX gets DLC. I don't want to wait years and years for MK9. Just give me the courses/characters as soon as they're out of the oven please.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
It's a kart racing game.

But it should be open world with full voice acting or it's not worth it imo

/s

The quality of the game is enough of a motivator to play it for me, but if people need an arbitrary carrot on the end of stick to make them feel important that's their prerogative, I guess. My simple ass will keep enjoying the game despite all the people who feel compelled to come in here and tell others why the game actually sucks.

Top Bottom