• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

DieH@rd

Banned
Nice OT!

ib1UkayUQFl6sk.gif

Reposting for a new page, and this GIF is going into OP. :D

dcx4610

The only thing I dislike is we only have L and R buttons on the Vita. Can the L2 and R2 buttons to be mapped to the touchpad or what are the options?

I'm not entirely sure that direct connection is actually the best option if your PS4 is connected through an ethernet cable to a good wireless router.

CamHostage

what about Blu-Rays?

I can swear I've seen Blu-Ray players that allow placeshifting to an iPad (but I'm not seeing anything about it online so not sure what's up with my memory of that,) but (whether they exist or not) I don't think Sony is one of those makers, it might have only been local media or something like that.

DieH@rd

Banned
The only thing I dislike is we only have L and R buttons on the Vita. Can the L2 and R2 buttons to be mapped to the touchpad or what are the options?

Good point, I forgot to mention that in OP FAQ.

Sony is mandating that every [non-camera/motion] PS4 game receives official control scheme from the developer. Those games cannot go to certification without Vita control scheme.

As for alternatives to L2/R2 and L3/R3, devs can use touchscreen [corners areas, or half of screen] or back touchpad. Vita emulators of PSP and PS1 systems offer remapping of controls with several presets and even fully customizable scheme [user picks where to put L2/R2].

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm not entirely sure that direct connection is actually the best option if your PS4 is connected through an ethernet cable to a good wireless router.
Why not? It's one hop less.

If it has a negative impact depends how tight the latency is in the other parts of the system.

They can.
Though the touchpad is terrible and in no way an actual substitute for L2 and R2 unless you're playing with a stand. Not to mention L3 and R3.

Problem with this whole thing is that PSV + PS4 Remote Play is still commercially untested. The only experience anyone outside of Sony has with it is under very controlled environments standing feet away from the PS4.

It is disingenuous to suggest anything about Remote Play has gone right yet, especially to go so far as suggest that you'll be able to comfortably play games over WiFi away from home "like they did in that Sony commercial."

Pure Kool-Aid thread and I'm going to wait until this shit has been released and actually tested before I start shitting my pants.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why not? It's one hop less.

If it has a negative impact depends how tight the latency is in the other parts of the system.

Could depend one location of your PS4 vs router. If your router is closer to your vita, that could give you a better result. Eg my wiiU won't reach my bedroom, and my PS4 will be next to it. But my router is much closer to my bedroom

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They can.
Though the touchpad is terrible and in no way an actual substitute for L2 and R2 unless you're playing with a stand. Not to mention L3 and R3.

Problem with this whole thing is that PSV + PS4 Remote Play is still commercially untested. The only experience anyone outside of Sony has with it is under very controlled environments standing feet away from the PS4.

It is disingenuous to suggest anything about Remote Play has gone right yet, especially to go so far as suggest that you'll be able to comfortably play games over WiFi away from home "like they did in that Sony commercial."

Pure Kool-Aid thread and I'm going to wait until this shit has been released and actually tested before I start shitting my pants.

Wtf? Commercially untested? It is a WiiU KSP, same for Nvidia shield, it has been demoed to the press with positive comments.

Sure, let's hope it holds up that quality, but a 'kool-aid thread'? Please

benny_a

Could depend one location of your PS4 vs router. If your router is closer to your vita, that could give you a better result. Eg my wiiU won't reach my bedroom, and my PS4 will be next to it. But my router is much closer to my bedroom
That's probably a scenario that would need to be tested. I think any processing done on the router would add more lag than a direct connection.

If it was used as a sort of repeater then yeah, that would be better because otherwise it wouldn't work. :p

benny_a

It's one almost negligible hop that leads to a better end solution. A PS4<->Router hop wouldn't be anything more then 1-2ms
Maybe those msecs are the difference between 1and 2 or 2 and 3 frames of lag.
This is highly speculative and is all about the rest of the latency in the system but I don't know what the better end solution is?

Am I correct in assuming that you're talking about a scenario like this:
Router is placed in a central location and provides full coverage over the house and Ethernet cabling is laid so one can have the PS4 in the cellar while playing Vita on the upper balcony?

driver116

It's one almost negligible hop that leads to a better end solution. A PS4<->Router hop wouldn't be anything more then 1-2ms

Router: PS4 <Wireless Transmission Latency> <Router Process Latency> <Wireless Transmission Latency> Vita

Direct: PS4 < Wireless Transmission Latency> Vita

benny_a

Router: PS4 <Wireless Transmission Latency> <Router Process Latency> <Wireless Transmission Latency> Vita

We're talking about this setup though:
Router: PS4 <Ethernet> <Router Process Latency> <Wireless Transmission Latency> Vita

Lasdrub

This is one of those things where I'll have to use it in my house to believe it. It didn't work for PSP, Vita/PS3, or OnLive. The hardware is different, so here's hoping.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'd have my PS4 wired to my router (may need to sacrifice my Ps3 Ethernet cable, running out of sockets)

DBT85

Good point, I forgot to mention that in OP FAQ.

Sony is mandating that every [non-camera/motion] PS4 game receives official control scheme from the developer. Those games cannot go to certification without Vita control scheme.

As for alternatives to L2/R2 and L3/R3, devs can use touchscreen [corners areas, or half of screen] or back touchpad. Vita emulators of PSP and PS1 systems offer remapping of controls with several presets and even fully customizable scheme [user picks where to put L2/R2].

I also remember reading that there is a default controller scheme. Basically devs were being asked to look at it and if necessary fiddle with it for their game, but if not then there was one already there.

I'd have my PS4 wired to my router (may need to sacrifice my Ps3 Ethernet cable, running out of sockets)

As would I. I have ethernet throughout the house so can use the Vita TV wired or use another access point. Handy or those who need them in the house.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is one of those things where I'll have to use it in my house to believe it. It didn't work for PSP, Vita/PS3, or OnLive. The hardware is different, so here's hoping.

It didn't work for PSP for the reasons listed in the OP.
It didn't work for vita from PS3 for the reasons listed in the OP
Vita/PS4 doesn't have those limitations
It isn't great for onlive because that is over the Internet not home LAN (let's see how well vita does outside of the home)

It honestly is two completely different solutions, so the failure of the previous one doesn't mean this will fail too

Lasdrub

It didn't work for PSP for the reasons listed in the OP.
It didn't work for vita from PS3 for the reasons listed in the OP
Vita/PS4 doesn't have those limitations
It isn't great for onlive because that is over the Internet not home LAN (let's see how well vita does outside of the home)

It honestly is two completely different solutions, so the failure of the previous one doesn't mean this will fail too

Yeah, I know. It's more that I've been promised lag free remote gameplay and been disappointed a number of times. I sincerely hope it's true this time. I would love to stream PS4 to my bedroom TV with Vita TV or to my handheld without lag. I understand why it should work better with the PS4, but I'll have to try it for myself.

driver116

We're talking about this setup though:
Router: PS4 <Ethernet> <Router Process Latency> <Wireless Transmission Latency> Vita

Aye, thought you were talking wireless - in which direct would probably be the best option, via router to gain better coverage around the home.

Interesting, will be looking at impressions for sure as I love my Wii U, only gripe I have is controls on Vita.
Probably still thinking PC is next for me but this Vita/PS4 combo is catching my attention.

I just remembered that my N600 is dual band. I'm totally dedicating that second channel to remote play.

Glad I forked over the extra cash a year ago.

Wtf? Commercially untested? It is a WiiU KSP, same for Nvidia shield, it has been demoed to the press with positive comments.

Sure, let's hope it holds up that quality, but a 'kool-aid thread'? Please

The footage from TGS has already shown that Remote Play has more lag than Wii U when standing directly in front of the console. Not a great start when trying to promote playing on wifi from across the country or even across town at work. I'd be way more impressed if the press demoed it with no PS4 in sight, but I would still be skeptical because it's still a fucking convention with a controlled environment designed specifically to impress the media so that they write articles that cause people to go lose hold of their shit in threads like this one.

So yes, commercially untested, and every statement saying that they've finally got it right this time is disingenuous until the product is in the hands of the public and we can see that it does in fact work as advertised.

All the demonstrations show as far as I'm concerned is that Remote Play PS4 stands somewhere between PS3 and Wii U levels, leaning more towards Wii U. The rest is Kool-Aid.

lexi

Banned

As far as I'm aware, there should be nothing restricting having the PS4 join a Wifi network, and then interface with the Vita via a Direct Adhoc Wifi connection. This is how AirPlay functions in a $99 Apple TV device.

benny_a

The footage from TGS has already shown that Remote Play has more lag than Wii U when standing directly in front of the console.
How do you know that? I've not seen footage that compares the WiiU to the 2013 KDL series of Sony TVs.

I think it's plausible that it will be slower than WiiU, because of the resolution and stuff like that but that's still a statement I would like to see supported.

whitehawk

Banned
I think it would be wise for Sony to release an accessory like the grips that already exist, but also add L2/R2 buttons.

Or/and

allow a DS4 controller to connect to the Vita via bluetooth and let us use that as a controller. Would would great with the Vita dock.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Considering how I'm pretty sure Remote Playing ICO from my PS3 to my Vita actually has LESS input lag than my TV? I'm pretty hopeful. Y'know how you can do the quick button press test and kind if feel the system lagging behind? It doesn't do that with my Vita. Now, of course this is all subjective testing of double if not single digit ms of timing. Honestly, if my HTC One records at 60 FPS I might try to rig up a recording and slow it down. But, that takes time and effort.

TL;DR : If Remote Play works better than it does with PS3, don't worry about it so much. It'll be just like Apple Magic like their Airplay thing.

How do you know that? I've not seen footage that compares the WiiU to the 2013 KDL series of Sony TVs.

I think it's plausible that it will be slower than WiiU, because of the resolution and stuff like that but that's still a statement I would like to see supported.

I'll fill this out a bit later when I can find the damn thread. Off the top of my head, the TV lag was visible on the video. Seeing how many frames the Vita lagged behind the TV gave people enough information to judge the lag of the Vita. This came out somewhere in the 60-70ms latency range compared to Digital Foundry's judgement of about 33ms latency on the Wii U Gamepad. Naturally, Vita's Remote Play with PS4 has not been tested as well so we'll have to wait on that.

driver116

I think it would be wise for Sony to release an accessory like the grips that already exist, but also add L2/R2 buttons.

This is my biggest problem with remote play - the lack of L2/R2 and L3/R3 buttons. These should have really been implemented in the first place - low profile of course (for triggers).

terrisus

I haven't really been following the PS4 closely, and have a feeling I already know the answer to these questions (no for both), but,
1) Can the PS4 play disc-based games from either the PS1 or PS2?
2) If so, can disc-based PS1 or PS2 games be played via remote play?

I haven't really been following the PS4 closely, and have a feeling I already know the answer to these questions (no for both), but,
We don't know yet, but the lack of any mention of it doesn't bode well. This is one of my big unanswered questions about the PS4, now that we're finally getting Remote Play impressions. I think many are simply assuming PS1 discs will work, because that's how it is on PS3. But the past is not necessarily indicator of the future.

whitehawk

Banned
So far I believe PS1/PS2 discs will not run. That could change in the future. If that does change though, they would work over remote play.

AniHawk

forgive me if this has been answered, but if my buddy has a ps4, and i have a vita, will i be able to play his ps4 games if he's not playing ps4?

whitehawk

Banned
forgive me if this has been answered, but if my buddy has a ps4, and i have a vita, will i be able to play his ps4 games if he's not playing ps4?
Yes. You'd have to go to his house first to connect your Vita to his PS4. After that initial setup, you could remote start it as long as you have internet.

Korezo

So does this work like the wii u or not? The 3 charts talk about LAN connection, does the system not just do the stuff on its own and sends to the pad like the wii u? If not this thing is going to suck in my house.

DieH@rd

Banned

- It did not work good with PSP
- It is passable with Vita/PS3 in home conditions, but nothing to write home about
- OnLive/Gaikai worked fine if you were in good range of it
- WiiU works great with it [480p streaming on 10m distances]
- PS4 Remote Play seems to work fine with Vita/VitaTV [544p/720p], but we need to wait more for detailed test

Top Bottom