• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Racers STREET: Forza meets Micro Machines, $1

WaaghMan

Neo Member
going to buy because it looks cool and the feedback on here was good. But your demo is pretty harsh and might put people off with the difficulty (unless the rest of the game is even more difficult, in which case I'm screwed)

Are you talking about quick race, or the career mode? Both are available in trial. The first one is always set to medium difficulty, with a D class car (which is rather slow).

So yes, the rest of the game will probably be more difficult, unless you play on easy :\. But it gets fun once you get the hang of the handling.

Anyway, we can't complain about trial effectiveness, with an almost 50% conversion ratio. Shame that trial downloads are rather low.

Ah, I was looking into how to submit a bug report, actually, because I'd registered some progress in some Class C race challenges without ever owning a Class C car.

We received another report like this, but we looked into it at it doesn't look like it could happen. Maybe you participated in some online races with a stock class C car?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are you talking about quick race, or the career mode? Both are available in trial. The first one is always set to medium difficulty, with a D class car (which is rather slow).

So yes, the rest of the game will probably be more difficult, unless you play on easy :\. But it gets fun once you get the hang of the handling.

Anyway, we can't complain about trial effectiveness, with an almost 50% conversion ratio. Shame that trial downloads are rather low.

We received another report like this, but we looked into it at it doesn't look like it could happen. Maybe you participated in some online races with a stock class C car?

bought anyway. XBLA makes finding it difficult, so people are perhaps unlikely to stumble across it. The fact that you can have a direct URL though should mean you can try some innovative ways of marketing more directly to people

one thing I'd like would be a top down perspective where the entire screen rotates around you. There was a SNES F1 game that did this using mode 7 and it was crazy.

mclem

I *have* participated in some online races, but at the time I did I'd only played in E class offline, and I don't believe I noticed a significant ramp-up in power in the online races compared to what I was used to (conversely, when I moved up to D offline, I was startled by the speed increase). I won every race against my opponent and the AIs at the time, and I don't think I'd have managed that if I'd been jumped up to C without being prepared. I may well be wrong on that front, however.

Out of interest, how does the stock car selection work? Does it completely bypass the car selection screen, or does it enter a version of said screen with only a single car in it? I'm pretty sure I had a selection screen, at least. Don't recall how well-stocked it was.

I suspect - although haven't tested - the races where I incurred progression in those challenges were when I was going for the "Place in the top three in x D-class races in X car (which was E-class by default)" challenge. I don't recall the car model offhand - although there's only one challenge like that at that level - but I fully upgraded it to the maximum before diving into the races. I'm sure it was still D-class after a full upgrade; I have never been offered a C-class race offline.

I'd be very interested to hear if the other person who reported the bug pushed to do the same challenge, and did it with a fully-upgraded car.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
finally worked my way out of the starting class ghetto (D?) and moved up to the next fast cars (C?) and wow, what a difference it makes! cars are much faster so handling is that much more nuanced.

WaaghMan

Neo Member
Out of interest, how does the stock car selection work? Does it completely bypass the car selection screen, or does it enter a version of said screen with only a single car in it? I'm pretty sure I had a selection screen, at least. Don't recall how well-stocked it was.

When you join or create a multiplayer game set to a performance class you don't have cars for, the car selection screen is shown, but only stock cars are available (with the default performance and paint job settings). It was an easy way to allow everybody to play MP races, without filling the car selection screen with cars you don't want (I don't like that in Forza, for example).

WaaghMan

Neo Member
Ah, I was looking into how to submit a bug report, actually, because I'd registered some progress in some Class C race challenges without ever owning a Class C car.

Ok, rechecked and found the issue. It's related with the Performance Index calculation, it was done in two different ways depending on where you were checking. Usually we apply a weight factor to each attribute, so power is more important than grip, for example, but we forgot to apply those factors to the challenge checks.

This fix will be included in the next update we submit (probably 1.5).

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
going to buy because it looks cool and the feedback on here was good. But your demo is pretty harsh and might put people off with the difficulty (unless the rest of the game is even more difficult, in which case I'm screwed)

I found the trial difficult too but if you change the camera to just behind the car it feels incredibly easy
for me =D

WaaghMan

Neo Member
More news! Now the game is available on Desura as well.

Linky

We'd love to hear some feedback on this Windows version, and have some people try (and enjoy) the multiplayer mode, so we're putting here some Desura redeem codes:

ZLXAO-ZOW1E-9X9FI-HAOYM-CNUX1
O1BRD-JVIIL-3BK2M-797KQ-P8S8G
MYIDB-HQKRM-VVJ2V-FVJ73-A0KOL
GWHN6-9I4SS-CGFTC-WHJR3-VKAKL
GANC8-ZE3TE-GFC5H-PL4IS-TUWYE
QWJHP-RV2UD-1UIU7-O9QVZ-TLISS
OORZH-GT66P-QY7PX-2K5WC-Z8RQZ
PTCDM-3UEMX-9OKQK-I707K-3JGWM
H6HXR-VIS76-DFEIF-X8FGK-AC7CE

Top Bottom