• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Play Scores 'n Such (Super Paper Mario = Sonic 360)

jvalioli

schuelma said:
I read the SPM review- basically the only complaint with the game was that the "story" interfered with the game/platforming elements too much. The reviewer apparently expected a complete platformer and docked it for having the nerve to still have a story and RPG elements.
Ridiculous.

But, if that's their only "complaint" then it looks like SPM is a great game.

mollipen

I didn't even realize that I hadn't done any reviews for this issue until reading over that scores list. *laughs* I did a lovely Iris 3 preview, though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
brandonh83 said:
TMNT is NOT an 8.5 :lol :lol

it is.......

stacks%20of%20money.jpg

Dr.Hadji

Wario64 said:
I'll wait for the Game Informer review before I write off Super Paper Mario.

Haha, I hope they rate it as favorably as they did the great Paper Mario TTYD.........

Uh ohes.......

Krowley

Beezy said:
Remember what happened with Paper Mario:TTYD? :/

:lol

I think he was making a sarcastic comment refering to that... Hopefully nobody actually relies on GI for reviews.. especially reviews of paper mario games.

ant1532

Banned
schuelma said:
I read the SPM review- basically the only complaint with the game was that the "story" interfered with the game/platforming elements too much. The reviewer apparently expected a complete platformer and docked it for having the nerve to still have a story and RPG elements.
:lol , PantherLotus or whatever the name is, TOLD YOUR ASS!!!!!

People are going to be disappointed with the fact that it's not a straight up platformer.

People really need to stop saying on the boards " Finally a real Mario game" Because others expect Super Mario Bros 4(5 or 6, w/e) and then get let down when they play.

And I swear if anyone takes this as me saying it's going to be bad or something like that is an idiot.

So is there anything new/useful/interesting about Bioshock? Like, say, the type of stuff that would get someone to buy a magazine he usually has no interest in?

CO_Andy

shidoshi said:
I didn't even realize that I hadn't done any reviews for this issue until reading over that scores list. *laughs* I did a lovely Iris 3 preview, though.
Your always getting shafted, Shidoshi. I still remember your Fighter's Destiny review back in GF :lol

Oh, and what's with the overreaction to SPM's score? Seems about right to me: 4/5.

Krowley

CO_Andy said:
Your always getting shafted, Shidoshi. I still remember your Fighter's Destiny review back in GF :lol

Oh, and what's with the overreaction to SPM's score? Seems about right to me: 4/5.

Oh man...

You are WAY out of line with GAF expectations on that one.

9+ is absolutley mandatory. 10's are preferable.

All joking aside, based on what we've seen and heard about the game, i actually do expect it to score at least in the low 9's on most of the reputable internet sites and end up with a gamerankings average somewere comfortably in the high 8's to mid 9's.

d[-_-]b

Banned
CO_Andy said:

It's that crappier games are getting better scores or the same scores which is appalling.

CO_Andy

Krowley said:
Oh man...

You are WAY out of line with GAF expectations on that one.

9+ is absolutley mandatory. 10's are preferable.
If that's true then we'd all be trading in our EGMs for a subscription to Dave Magazine.

d[-_-]b said:
It's that crappier games are getting better scores or the same scores which is appalling.
Perhaps we should leave out Dave's scores in these Play review threads :D

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
A DAY AT THE OFFICE:

– Hey guys! Here's an idea! Let's be real tough on Super Paper Mario and act like we're almost like serious JOURNALISTS, we be critizing it and what not for possible flaws. It'll be like a GOOD review, almost like something outta EDGE! We won't buy into the hype!

– Yeah! Hell yeah! Oh, by the way, we just got TMNT, 300 and more in.

– Oh. Let's just copy paste, change names and say it's a 8.5, that's a pretty standard score, right? Who reads the scores anyways? No need to take out the looking glass. I mean, there surely are a ton of flaws, but we didn't expect anything, did we? It's not like it's Super Paper Mario or something.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
wario masters of disguise got a 9? I thought most other reviews were bagging it as super shit.

besiktas1

CO_Andy said:
It's just when comparing it with what the other games got gives us an indication about how good they think the game is.

Thats why we are reacting, reaction shows we have passion and passion means we're not jaded... so yay for us... but an overwhelming nay for their opinion.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
jmdajr said:
Sonic and the Secret rings got a lower score than the ps3/360 games.

also

I bought NANObreaker for 2 bux!

Play gave it a 9! :)
Nanobreaker is like one of the worst games ever. cant believe they'll give a 9 to that POS.

mollipen

Mr. Spinnington said:
So when do play reviews get banned?

When do people get banned for this stupid crap of suggesting that things should be banned?

Error said:
Nanobreaker is like one of the worst games ever. cant believe they'll give a 9 to that POS.

"They" didn't give anything to anything. A specific editor gives a specific game a specific score, a score that other editors of that same publication may or may not agree with.

ramses01

Banned
besiktas1 said:
It's just when comparing it with what the other games got gives us an indication about how good they think the game is.

Thats why we are reacting, reaction shows we have passion and passion means we're not jaded... so yay for us... but an overwhelming nay for their opinion.

Ok, it is a Mario game, that is an automatic 5 point deduction (out of 10) right there before the game is even turned on so ... 8.5 is incredibly generous.

mollipen

Mr. Spinnington said:
It's a joke, I was trying to make a joke around all the banned sites.

I kind of wondered if maybe you were joking, but unfortunately many around here aren't when they say things like that.

Error said:
Shidoshi did you give Nanobreaker that score? ;p

Can't say I've ever played Nanobreaker, so no.

Krowley

Oblivion said:
I'm actually surprised Play overrated it.

:lol why are you attacking the messiah of all our dreams

Hopefully this is sarcasm, otherwise... That burning sensation in your feet? That's the flames of hell rising up to claim you.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Yeah, not a good sign when Play rates a platformer an 8.5. Ol' Halvy basically gives anything semi-decent in the genre an automatic 9-10.

We'll see how it plays out, but I've had a bad feeling about SPM since I first saw footage of it for some reason. A Mario platformer with HP and inventory and whatnot just seems really wrong.

Top Bottom