• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mod the Dualshock 4 with Xbox One analog sticks

Mindlog

I've been using Gel-Tabz and they seem to be doing the trick. May give this a shot anyways when I order a battery. The battery is definitely going to get swapped out soon. What's in there now is about as useful as something that's not very useful. The controller may as well be wired.

JP

I Mod both my Dualshock 4 controllers with Dualshock 3 silicon thumb Grips
and replace their batteries with 2000mAh for double power.
d4.png

DSC_0066.png
Modded both of mine with the sticks and batteries about a month ago and was surprised how simple it was, I usually hate doing stuff like that. Glad I did it though.

Oops, though you'd used Xbox One sticks. That' what I used.

Apath

Would be all over this, but I just prefer the tightness of the DS4 sticks to the looseness of the XB1 sticks too much.

Sir TapTap

Would be all over this, but I just prefer the tightness of the DS4 sticks to the looseness of the XB1 sticks too much.

Woah woah woah, Xbox One sticks are looser? I actually prefer the slightly tighter feel of the 360 ones to my current DS4s.

Majanew

Banned

The tension shouldn't change, just the texture and height of the sticks. XB1's sticks being better textured and slightly taller.

The Grip It covers are Amazing! No need to hate.

I agree when it comes to using grip it's on the DualShock 3, but definitely not with the DualShock 4. The width of the thumb head along with the groove make it feel like its cheap. It has play in the center of the stick where it's not firmly touching the plastic and with it on it makes the sticks flat with a mushy center as opposed to a tight fit. Grip it's IMO are inherently inferior to the gel tabs but both have their pros and cons.

I'm sure it's the same way with the 360/One sticks, with their subdued nature.

JP

The only thing that changes is the shape of the plastic on the outside of the controller, nothing inside changes.

Stunned at people modding their ds4s with the god awful ds3 sticks. They're the worst ones made for controllers in a long while n

Overall or just the sticks themselves? The DS3 was way too lose but I've never had a problem with them.

They allow you to roll your thumb naturally without having to adjust. I prefer the subdued sticks myself but the DS3 could have been much better had Sony revised the design from the original PS1 which itself was an afterthought of 3D control.

Tighten up the sticks, space them farther apart, use triggers, etc.

Hmm. Will definitely consider. I feel the joysticks of the juan feel smaller than the 360's. Anybody know if it works with 360 analog sticks? I love those.

Hmm. Will definitely consider. I feel the joysticks of the juan feel smaller than the 360's. Anybody know if it works with 360 analog sticks? I love those.

No the base is way to large, I tried day one. Same with DualShock 3 sticks, there are retailers and custom shops that make them though.

I found the website I was looking for earlier. I found this guys youtube channel awhile ago but couldn't remember the site.

http://battlebeavercustoms.com

Don't hold me to any sort of quality control reassurances because I have not purchased his stuff. But he does offer several different heights and styles for both Xbox One and DS4.

No the base is way to large, I tried day one. Same with DualShock 3 sticks, there are retailers and custom shops that make them though.

I found the website I was looking for earlier. I found this guys youtube channel awhile ago but couldn't remember the site.

http://battlebeavercustoms.com

Don't hold me to any sort of quality control reassurances because I have not purchased his stuff. But he does offer several different heights and styles for both Xbox One and DS4.
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I can try with with the xbone joysticks and see how they feel overall. I own an Xbox but I've yet to open the box until I get home from vacation.

molnizzle

So I just spent several hours scouring the Internet and apparently nobody makes ABXY face buttons for the DS4. You can get custom buttons in every possible color or random design, but not standard Xbox-ass face buttons. WTF!

So I just spent several hours scouring the Internet and apparently nobody makes ABXY face buttons for the DS4. You can get custom buttons in every possible color or random design, but not standard Xbox-ass face buttons. WTF!

Can you get clear buttons and use your own inserts? I know not exactly what you are looking for but that might work.

Hydrargyrus

I'm thinking to change the battery for a one with 2000mHa.

The replacement seems pretty simple, but I'm worry about the disassembling

Just did one of my controllers. Not so difficult, though I almost ripped it in half. Very happy with the results so far. Hopefully I stop hitting the PS button (...i know) now.

The Grips are a WIN/WIN and easier to install.

I prefer the GripIts now too. Sure they're taking as shit, but they made my 360 controller completely bearable now as with the DS4

Still prefer OG DS3 sticks over everything else... Yes, even the lack of resistance. Resistance NEVER helped me, it just fatigues my thumb.

U2NUMB

Welp.. ruined a controller trying to do this. The stupid plug into the board was nearly disconnected as soon as I opened the back.. so it fell off.. never could figure out how to get that back in and then bent and broke the prongs.

Along with that my triggers lost a spring...

yea do this at your own risk. I took my time and went slow following the video but its not a 100% guarantee that it will be easy :(

DirtyLary

I went with the metal stick mod.

41GfVGrktuL.jpg

I actually have the opposite problem. The plastic lip on the default sticks are giving me blisters and tear my skin. Hopefully the metal with the ridges wont be as brutal on my thumbs.

Can't...say I've heard someone say they want that before.

There are people that still prefer the DS3 to the DS4.

It happens.

(Personally the thought of being forced to play Destiny with a ds3 makes me want to hurl)

What's wrong with sony and their inability to design triggers?

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
A friend and I recorded this last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl8ZDbpzFVM
It's a tutorial on how we did and and includes a link to the sticks that seem to have no size issues / have rubber tops.
Also, this seller seems to offer different colors that all have rubber tops.
RodJWf5l.jpg

Aesthet1c

I need to find someone that owns an Xbox One so I can check out the controller.

I don't really have a problem with the DS4 sticks, but the One sticks do look superior. Thanks for the heads up on this OP.

ItsTheNew

I guess I have to do something like this. Looks great.

Yeah, reminds me of the original PS2 color scheme. I ordered some of the dark gray aluminum ones to see how they fit/feel/look.

ItsTheNew

Be sure to come back with your impressions, I'm interested in the same ones.

For sure, we also made a video where we tested out the grips of the gel tabz, the grip its, and the xbox one sticks too in case you don't want to open up your controller. We'll try to have that up later.

I want a DualShock 4 with the DualShock 3 sticks. That's all I want. The controlled would be perfect then. (Well, save the crappy battery.)

agreed

Honestly, I just put on some grips I bought from Amazon and there's no peeling problem + sticks are taller. Seems much easier to do than this mod.

Same. Works much better.

What issues are people having with the triggers? I think they are execellent

CompC

Anyone know if the Wii U Sticks are replaceable with either Xbox One sticks or PS4?

Yes. I don't know about the Xbox one controller, but you can put the sticks from a Wii U Pro Controller in a PS4 controller. They're a bit higher than the regular PS4 sticks, but they're comfortable.

Because the PS4 sticks are shorter, you can't put them in the Wii U Pro controller, though. They fit, but the rubbery top of the sticks pushes up against the side of the hole the sticks sit in when you push them, so it doesn't really work. The Xbox One sticks do fit in the Pro Controller but they feel really loose.

I think the sticks from a Nunchuck won't work in the PS4 controller, though. I think they're different. And I'm not sure if the Wii U GamePad has the exact same sticks as the Pro Controller either.

terrible

Banned
A friend and I recorded this last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl8ZDbpzFVM
It's a tutorial on how we did and and includes a link to the sticks that seem to have no size issues / have rubber tops.
Also, this seller seems to offer different colors that all have rubber tops.
RodJWf5l.jpg

I wish I bought blue ones now! I bought green, red, orange, and white ones instead. The orange and red ones look similar enough so I should have bought blue instead of orange.

I had a black Logitech PS2 controller with blue joysticks and it looked slick.

julrik

So I've been looking at the Kontrolfreek grips, which was mentioned earlier, but would they work if the rubber on the DS4 sticks is worn down to the point that it covers only around half the stick? The Kontrolfreek won't fit then, right, and will be loose?

Yazuka

Would replacing the original DS4 battery with a 2000mAh battery be good?
I'm not to familiar with all that stuff. So just wanted some opinions if that would extend the life of the controller by much.

Hydrargyrus

Would replacing the original DS4 battery with a 2000mAh battery be good?
I'm not to familiar with all that stuff. So just wanted some opinions if that would extend the life of the controller by much.

I've just recently ordered one 2000mah battery and two oxbone thumbsticks.

I'm really only interested in the battery, but the thumbstick were pretty cheap (1,80€) and thought that once opened, maybe should try those to see what it's better.
Btw, both, thumbsticks and battery could be bought very cheap on ebay. Cheaper enought to give it a shoot.

When I'll receive all and make all the tries, I'll post some impressions and pictures.
And probably, I'll try to customize the front plate of the DS4... Once opened...

Apath

The only thing that changes is the shape of the plastic on the outside of the controller, nothing inside changes.
Yes but the XB1 sticks do not feel as tight. Be it because of the height or what not, I prefer the DS4 sticks (and the 360 ones for that matter).

I got a pair from eBay for £3.45. Great purchase!
Could you link me to them? I want to make sure I'm buying good quality ones :p I've heard that some are rubberised (like the actual XB1 sticks) and others are just plastic.

Additionally, if anyone else reading this has bought any in the UK, please let me know!

Audioboxer

Bought 2x2000mah batteries thanks to this topic. I'm fine with my sticks, but the battery life is crap.

Hopefully quite easy to replace.

vin-buc

I went with the metal stick mod.

41GfVGrktuL.jpg

I actually have the opposite problem. The plastic lip on the default sticks are giving me blisters and tear my skin. Hopefully the metal with the ridges wont be as brutal on my thumbs.

I have the aluminum one as well but I use it on the left stick only - right stick is Xbox One. The aluminum sticks are actually shorter than the Xbox sticks which is good for FPS's (taller right stick for aiming). Also - using the L3 for sprinting on the aluminum stick actually makes my thumb hurt (noticeably).

NickNotch

So I just did this. Everything went smoothly. When I started trying to play a game, I realized the circle button no longer works. I've tried reassembling the controller a few times trying to reposition the button over the circuit-board... but I can't get it to recognize again.

Anyone have any insight?

x Misogi

modded mine last night, everything went without a hitch until i realized the trackpad wasn't working. Once i had to disassemble the controller even MORE i got it to work. Total time was about 2 hours because i'm super slow. I think now I could probably do this in about 15 minutes.

10610602_10152211436437032_3941048198290861192_n.jpg

excuse my dirty glass :(

Top Bottom