• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart Arcade GP 2

IMHO the problem with MK is that it relies far too much on gimmicks than pure racing now...

SNES MK was the best because you had to use the course to your advantage.. save mushrooms to take big jumps... turn accurately to maintain speed... Feather for short cuts... The breaks make a huge difference to taking a tight turn... No lame cheap weapons repeatedly occurring (getting a red shell was hard work.. and you had to save it for the right time)...

MK 64 started the whole trend of "excessive items and gimmicky snaking" - it really took the fun out of the pure racing bit... Since now there was less reward to actually learn how to exploit each angle of the course (since one missed snake or three red shells could f*** you over)...

GBA MK was ok... but nothing really new... It also lacked the excellent physics of the SNES version (it was really kinda strange overall)... Overall pretty dissappointed as it was relatively uninspiring (the new battle courses were pure suck)...

DD was atrocious... I don't know what the hell happened... I think any idiot can win in this game... It definitely does not reward skill... stupid luck is more likely... And the sad thing is that the gameplay itself is *very* shallow... You can only do so much before you realize that the game is gonna screw you over...

DS MK... IMHO this just continued the poor tradition of MK64..

Mario Kart GP... I actually liked it because of the pure racing... get rid of all the lame excess items tho... Add in more depth to the courses... We might have a winner....!

Mario Kart GP 2... Remains to be seen...

Terrell

tehrik-e-insaaf said:
IMHO the problem with MK is that it relies far too much on gimmicks than pure racing now...

SNES MK was the best because you had to use the course to your advantage.. save mushrooms to take big jumps... turn accurately to maintain speed... Feather for short cuts... The breaks make a huge difference to taking a tight turn... No lame cheap weapons repeatedly occurring (getting a red shell was hard work.. and you had to save it for the right time)...

MK 64 started the whole trend of "excessive items and gimmicky snaking" - it really took the fun out of the pure racing bit... Since now there was less reward to actually learn how to exploit each angle of the course (since one missed snake or three red shells could f*** you over)...

GBA MK was ok... but nothing really new... It also lacked the excellent physics of the SNES version (it was really kinda strange overall)... Overall pretty dissappointed as it was relatively uninspiring (the new battle courses were pure suck)...

DD was atrocious... I don't know what the hell happened... I think any idiot can win in this game... It definitely does not reward skill... stupid luck is more likely... And the sad thing is that the gameplay itself is *very* shallow... You can only do so much before you realize that the game is gonna screw you over...

DS MK... IMHO this just continued the poor tradition of MK64..

Mario Kart GP... I actually liked it because of the pure racing... get rid of all the lame excess items tho... Add in more depth to the courses... We might have a winner....!

Mario Kart GP 2... Remains to be seen...
If I didn't know better, I'd say you wanted a Mario Turismo instead of a Mario Kart.

AniHawk

My favorites in the series were DS and 64. Although DS >>> 64. They just did the whole multiplayer thing really damn well.

Terrell said:
If I didn't know better, I'd say you wanted a Mario Turismo instead of a Mario Kart.

Nah I like to drive faster than 10 mph and worry about 100000 customizations. :lol

j/k please don't kill me GT fans

I am totally not interested in realism, all I ask for is a deep driving experience... feathers and mushrooms are the anti-thesis of realism, but add great depth when they are used to add shortcuts & super jumps to SNES MK :)

Boerseun

Banned
beelzebozo said:
double dash was crap?
ok, but i still dig baby park.
i'm keeping that.

No, SOME people just weren't willing to make the extra effort to master the new gameplay mechanics.

big_z

I agree. Back then there was no snaking and the items actually meant something. Example: the blue shell is shit and needs to be removed from the series. If the person in last gets one how the hell is it helping them? It'll maybe screw over the person in first so the guy in second gets a cheap win but it does nothing for the guy in last.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I can essentially sympathize with everything tehrik wrote up.

It's been a steady downhill slope since MK SNES. DS MK was at least slightly better than the drek that was DD. The GBA MK seemed to also have disillusioned desperate gamers into thinking it was a good game.

jarrod

Banned
I think DS is great... obviously snaking is given a bit too much priority (and it doesn't punish nearly as hard as 64 did for f-ing up) but overall it's nicely balanced and builds a decent single player game over 64's multiplayer design. It's easily the best game in the series since the SNES original though.

Top Bottom