• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

akira28

I'm using FA off all the time, so I know where you are coming from :) Only the beluga sucks to land with most of the time :(

Wanted to get the 10 units of Painite today. God damn is mining still awful. Got 5% of Painite out of 50 limpets YAY. I'm not quite sure if I should try again another time or leave it alone entirely.

the secret to painite mining is patience and selective efficiency of both rings and rocks you mine. stick to metal rich or metallics, and only mine if the painite is 30% or better. I go into these places and gold is like a trash metal that I'm constantly trying to get rid of, and anything put painite and platinum and one other are a waste of time.

StonedRider

I can not figure out how to run Elite with Oculus Rift. I put on the Rift, then start the game, Oculus Home loads and writes something about EliteDangerous64.exe is taking too many time to load. And there is no option to choose HMD as display in Elite graphics settings.

I have Elite purchased from Frontier store, should I get the steam key and run it from SteamVR, as I've read somewhere?

Will I be able to buy goodies from Frontier store directly afterwards?

Synth

I can not figure out how to run Elite with Oculus Rift. I put on the Rift, then start the game, Oculus Home loads and writes something about EliteDangerous64.exe is taking too many time to load. And there is no option to choose HMD as display in Elite graphics settings.

I have Elite purchased from Frontier store, should I get the steam key and run it from SteamVR, as I've read somewhere?

You can grab keys for both the Oculus version and the Steam version from the Frontier site. It should just run in VR so long as the Oculus service is running.

The message about it taking long to load will always be there, it basically shows for anything that isn't ready to within 5 seconds. It should just be loading into the game shortly after. If you're using the standalone version (neither Oculus nor Steam), it may simply be that client doesn't support VR.

GeeTeeCee

The one time I accidentally boost into the station wall instead of deploying the landing gear just so happens to be in a station filled with real people watching me mess up. This never happens in front of the AI.

Along with my abject failure to complete a bounty for the CG, it hasn't been a banner day for CMDR GeeTeeCee...

Are you launching the stand alone or STEAM version of Elite?

Kyoufu

Well, fitted my Cutter (which I love to bits) with a mining build and mined 500 minerals for Selene Jean. Took some time but made some money off it and got the 10 Painite required too.

Now it's time to unlock Didi Vatermann and upgrade the shield boosters on my Cutter to become invincible. :3

Peroroncino

Just got back from the center, and holy shit, I must've made about hundred screenshots on the way.

Earned ~200kk in exploration data but I need 100kk more for Elite rank, any suggestions?

Of course I stopped at Quince but from what I gathered the passenger stacking is dead while scanning is still going.

Was playing Elite in VR while talking with my friends on mumble.

"Check out this link"
"Can't. I'm in space"
"Think we might need to have an intervention for you"
"Well, how would you even find me? Do you know how big space is?"
"It's worse than we thought"

Just got back from the center, and holy shit, I must've made about hundred screenshots on the way.

Earned ~200kk in exploration data but I need 100kk more for Elite rank, any suggestions?

Of course I stopped at Quince but from what I gathered the passenger stacking is dead while scanning is still going.

I have never in my life seen someone say it like "200kk"

Do you mean 200k twice? So 400k? Are you saying 200k times one 1k so 200,000,000?

WHAT DO THE NUMBERS MEAN MASON?

StonedRider

I've got Steam key from the Frontier store, installed the game in Steam and everything works flawlessly with Rift. Just need to adjust some controls for VR and transfer some controls from keyboard to hotas.

Man, that's something! I think, I can just sit in my recliner here in asteroid belt and meditate for hours doing nothing.

How do you guys use galaxy map in VR is beyond me!

Peroroncino

I have never in my life seen someone say it like "200kk"

Do you mean 200k twice? So 400k? Are you saying 200k times one 1k so 200,000,000?

WHAT DO THE NUMBERS MEAN MASON?

Yeah I meant 200 million :D

MMO habits die hard.

Question still relevant though, I think I'm gonna start making my way to Road to Riches for now.

Megasoum

Banned
Is there a way to make it so that the side and bottom panels don't automatically open when you look around the cockpit?

I'd like to be able to look around without them blocking my view.

There is an option to disable it. I think it's somewhere in the controls menu, but can't remember what it's called. "Gaze activation" or something I think.

Kyoufu

Upgraded shield boosters. Now my Cutter has 3050MJ shields and a bunch of resistances. My next goal is to get Prismatic shields. Too bad that'll be in 4 weeks :/

How do you guys use galaxy map in VR is beyond me!
I remapped everything and so it is useable in VR controlled by my HOTAS.

btw collecting the rare commodities for the engineers is doable now. jeeez. got 24 units of cigars for the first run. Seems like I only have to loop max three times. Thank god!

Hylian7

Fucking bullshit, I was RES farming in my home system and a stupid Type 9 flies in my fire line and I hit him briefly. I get a bounty FOR HIS MURDER! It lasts for a week.

What are the odds anyone is near Gende and can kill me in a Sidewinder to get this shit off me?

Kyoufu

Fucking bullshit, I was RES farming in my home system and a stupid Type 9 flies in my fire line and I hit him briefly. I get a bounty FOR HIS MURDER! It lasts for a week.

What are the odds anyone is near Gende and can kill me in a Sidewinder to get this shit off me?

Just let the cops outside the station scan and kill you.

Hylian7

Nope. As long as you're Wanted in the system and a cop scans and kills you then you're good to go.

I followed the cops forever and couldn't get the to scan me. Eventually I just shot at one and I died instantly, lol. Got rid of the bounty though.

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody know what kind of tonnage we're talking about for the Top 10 contributors in the weekly CG?

I'm firmly in the Top 10% right now which is great but I'm not sure I can actually get into the top 10 with my Type 7?

Anybody know what kind of tonnage we're talking about for the Top 10 contributors in the weekly CG?

I'm firmly in the Top 10% right now which is great but I'm not sure I can actually get into the top 10 with my Type 7?

The top 10 is full of people with Cutters running 792t at a time for hours on end.

Your Type 7 doesn't stand a chance.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Was playing Elite in VR while talking with my friends on mumble.

"Check out this link"
"Can't. I'm in space"
"Think we might need to have an intervention for you"
"Well, how would you even find me? Do you know how big space is?"
"It's worse than we thought"

Haha, the thought of this game in VR is certainly amazing.
Too bad we may never get it on PS4...but maybe for the best, as I could do without spending 350 quid on something that's not a new console ^^;

Megasoum

Banned
It would be nice if you could kind of "detach" yourself from your ship...

Like being able to leave my Type-7 in the CG Port and take a space uber to my home base to grind some Imperial Rep in my Cobra that is sitting over there already.

Kyoufu

Took my modded Cutter into a Conflict Zone and I could probably AFK and still keep my shields up. <3

Cutter is such a sexy ship. <3

Vorheez

Hey guys

I have finally bought the ASP Explorer (what a beauty), but I have a question about it. I bought the squadron paint job pack off of the frontier store but I am a little confused about what it actually included. On the thumbnail for the pack, it shows a series of lights that run down the "spine" of the ship. I assumed that this unique detailing was part of the pack, but as I'm sure you guessed, I discovered later that it was not. What are these lights and how do I acquire them for my ship?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Burny

Sim pit is slowly progressing. Plates for the HOTAS mount are (servicably...) varnished. Next, the throttle will be fixed on the left plate using velcro. For the right plate, I'm looking to fix a small mouse pad onto it and clamp down the Joystick with a tension lock.

2FZE4kK.jpg

The adjustable angles will hold the keyboard mount. Once that's done, the pit is ready in its flight sim configuration.

Sim pit is slowly progressing. Plates for the HOTAS mount are (servicably...) varnished. Next, the throttle will be fixed on the left plate using velcro. For the right plate, I'm looking to fix a small mouse pad onto it and clamp down the Joystick with a tension lock.
2FZE4kK.jpg

The adjustable angles will hold the keyboard mount. Once that's done, the pit is ready in its flight sim configuration.

Dang you made that? That looks pretty high quality, looks great.

Daaaamn, that looks nice. I'm thinking about doing something similar because I hate how my HOTAS is sitting higher on my desk than it is in VR.

Burny

Dang you made that? That looks pretty high quality, looks great.

I... ordered the parts, at least. ;) Aluminium profiles cut to length, plywood plates cut into shape. You can get the profiles from e.g. 8020.net/ in the US or motedis.de in Germany/Europe.

Once you've got all the pieces with the right measure, it's like building with Lego and extremely configurable. There's a downside: it's expensive AF. Let's just say that the build won't compete in the cheapest-possible-way-to-stick-a-HOTAS-to-your-desk-chair category. You could get the same stability for a lot cheaper, if you've got ways to machine stuff yourself and a decent work place. You can also replicate the build for a lot cheaper using wood, but that's not as configurable.

Daaaamn, that looks nice. I'm thinking about doing something similar because I hate how my HOTAS is sitting higher on my desk than it is in VR.

Should be a revelation to have the HOTAS sitting in an ergonomically sensible place. You've got lots of options. Expensive and fancy pre-made ones, like the Monstertech mounts. Or try to replicate them as a DIY project, like I'm doing (still pretty expensive tbh.). Building the same thing out of wood. Clamping the HOTAS to your desk chair's armrests using Vesa mounts. Or just pre-made stands. If you shop around a bit, you'll surely find something that suits you.

I... ordered the parts, at least. ;) Aluminium profiles cut to length, plywood plates cut into shape. You can get the profiles from e.g. 8020.net/ in the US or motedis.de in Germany/Europe.

Once you've got all the pieces with the right measure, it's like building with Lego and extremely configurable. There's a downside: it's expensive AF. Let's just say that the build won't compete in the cheapest-possible-way-to-stick-a-HOTAS-to-your-desk-chair category. You could get the same stability for a lot cheaper, if you've got ways to machine stuff yourself and a decent work place. You can also replicate the build for a lot cheaper using wood, but that's not as configurable.

Should be a revelation to have the HOTAS sitting in an ergonomically sensible place. You've got lots of options. Expensive and fancy pre-made ones, like the Monstertech mounts. Or try to replicate them as a DIY project, like I'm doing (still pretty expensive tbh.). Building the same thing out of wood. Clamping the HOTAS to your desk chair's armrests using Vesa mounts. Or just pre-made stands. If you shop around a bit, you'll surely find something that suits you.
Damn. Was thinking about making something for me as well since right now my stick is partially blocking the view on my right most monitor. The stand looks nice. Would be cool if this could also handle a steering wheel though.

Would be ideal to roll to the right where this setup is to use in VR (where I do not need a display in front of me anyway lol.

How much is your self made construction all added up?

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
Ok everyone, I still need help - beyond advice on control setup - just generally on controlling Elite on a gamepad. When I use a joystick, I don't have issues controlling roll while I fly and reacquire targets. On a controller, I spin the damn ship constantly and finesse yaw seems difficult. I know many many experts at this game play on a controller, so what general advice can you all give me?

The reason I trying this is because I have no room for a joystick with my setup and need to manually move things, plug it in, set it back up, etc just to fly.

Hylian7

I managed to convince a friend that hadn't played since about the Wings patch to reinstall. I'm going to have him wing up with me and we will go RES farm to get him a better ship (He's still in a Cobra). With the profit sharing, I imagine he'll make money crazy fast for him and be in a Vulture in no time.

StonedRider

Hell, I've played Elite in VR for 17 hours during last 2 days. Good thing is my vacation has started today. Bad thing is all my plans on this vacation are fucked.

Burny

How much is your self made construction all added up?

Depends on what "all" means. That exact build, for me? Around 200&#8364; just the HOTAS mount if I'm lucky, which is the tip of the ice berg and I already have the varnish and Velcro lying around, same as a couple of wood pieces. Had the plywood plates machined, will add a keyboard mount and the two angles for that you can see on the cross beam are already 10&#8364; apiece. This adds up frighteningly fast. This is the irrationally "gold plated" version of a DIY mount however! In the end, I don't save much on the Monstertech mounts if at all, but have a more customized build for what I want it to do. Still more sensibley invested money than buying Star Citizen .jpgs though. ;)

Depending on what you want or rather, don't want or need, you'll end up with a bit less. Doing things yourself also trades price for time investment. E.g., lose the crossbeam, use plywood plates on top of the mount, machine all the wood stuff yourself and you'll end up with a somewhat cheaper build. The aluminium and connector parts alone would go for ~88&#8364; at the shop I ordered them from. If you've got the space around your desk and don't mind to work a bit for fixing and detaching the HOTAS/wheel, you may even come out better, if you build an actual ciomplete pit, seeing as these toggle clamps are 40&#8364; alone and to build a second mount for the wheel, I'd need another set (might still go for cheaper ones though).

If you want to gauge what a build customized for your needs would cost, you could download the MayCAD software and build away. It generates a part list - but for the MayTec profile system, rather than the ITEM system my build uses. You can practically translate everything 1:1 to ITEM parts though and see what you'd spend in a shop of your choice. This tutorial shows how someone builds a sim pit with an older version of the software.

Caayn

What are the possibilities of stellar streams being added in as DLC? It'd be a pretty cool way to get better/different views of the Milky Way, even if they're largely ignored in media.

If the distances and star density aren't a problem.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I traded in my new Cobra for a Keelback yesterday. I have high hopes!

I fitted(?) a fighter bay and took it for a spin. Went to dock it back with the KB and bounced off the shield. Kept doing this for like five-ten minutes, getting increasingly concerned before I tried flipping the fighter over and it went in.

High hopes!

Effect

Last time I messed with the Keelback I kept thinking they should have given it an extra slot now that it can use a figther. Once you equip that the cargo capacity drops off a cliff. You can't really use it combat that much because it staying alive can be pretty difficulty. That extra slot for hull armor, cargo, stronger shield, etc could go a long way to making the Keelback more viable. Unless they did and I've forgotten.

I personally like the design of it and would fly it more if I could get a little more use out of it when running missions or messing around in a nav beacon. Fighting in a nav beacon is fun but you have to be careful there. I wouldn't dare take it into a RES though. Part of why I even got the Gunship is because I wanted to use a fighter in RES. The Keelback is to weak for it and the Anaconda was to expensive at the time to buy and risk and there were no other options.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
A keelback with a fighter is like a minivan with a machine gun turret.

I don't know if you were trying to discourage me, but that just makes me feel better about my purchase. I love that kind of dumb bullshit.

Tempted to get a fighter with beam lasers and fill the hardpoints with multicannons. That'll work, right?

Having a fighter transforms the Keelback from garbage into one of the most versatile and fun early game ships. Haul cargo, passenger missions, mining, all with a little glass cannon watching your back. You can get along pretty well in RES sites, too. Don't go near a CZ though.

Megasoum

Banned
So huh... I'm on a mission to destroy a power thing on a planet...

I'm in the SRV

I think I ran out of fuel? I can't move anymore and looking at the modules the fuel tank is at 0% (if that'S really the problem then damn...there's not a lot of fuel in the SRV!)

So...what do I do now? I recalled the ship so it lander really close to my spot but it's still to far for me to simple board it since I can't move the SRV.

Edit: I'm a dumbass.... I had the hand brake on haha

So huh... I'm on a mission to destroy a power thing on a planet...

I'm in the SRV

I think I ran out of fuel? I can't move anymore and looking at the modules the fuel tank is at 0% (if that'S really the problem then damn...there's not a lot of fuel in the SRV!)

So...what do I do now? I recalled the ship so it lander really close to my spot but it's still to far for me to simple board it since I can't move the SRV.

Edit: I'm a dumbass.... I had the hand brake on haha

image.php

By the way you can synthesis SRV fuel.

You think that's basic? I still remember my father playing Elite 1 on the Spectrum.

910-elite1.gif

BBC_Micro_Elite_screenshot.png

Ol' Speccy didn't have enough power to erase the stars behind objects. Other devs would go on to make games with full painted polygons, which often lead to a perfectly syncronized framerate: one second, one frame. :D

Do you (or your father) remember the copy-prevention system on the Spectrum version of Elite?

Dumbest thing ever. Number of times I nearly threw that crappy piece of red plastic out the window...

Top Bottom