• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immersive sim Consortium: The Tower crowdfunding on FIG (100%; tier discounts inside)

Big Nikus

Hey that's great to hear :)
I'm so glad this campaign is successful, I was getting worried after the KS. I wrote an article about the first game (here, for those who read french :) and talked about it everywhere I could before the launch of the Fig campaign.

I'm gonna ask around my friends to give away my three codes. If none of them is interested I'll leave them here.

Following Consortium and a most excellent pitch for a sequel that seeks to expand in all the right places, this deserved to be successful. Glad that Fig made it happen. Congratulations to everyone.

Oh wow, excited to see the goal was met. I just got around to playing the first Consortium recently, and it was an incredible and unique experience. Really excited for The Tower.

Kade

Hi guys. From all of us here at iDGi, we'd like to offer a huge and sincere thank you. You all have been overwhelmingly positive, and it's always been a great joy to come read the comments.

On to stretch goals!

Congrats! Really happy for you guys.

Excellent news, and congrats to the IDGI team!

I'm still amazed that it did so well on Fig when it didn't even reach half its goal on Kickstarter. o_O

Excellent news, and congrats to the IDGI team!

I'm still amazed that it did so well on Fig when it didn't even reach half its goal on Kickstarter. o_O

FIG is a bit of a different beast thanks to investors. I do think that FIG will make it easier for devs to hit their funding goals assuming the concept looks bankable(compared to a KS campaign), but will prove more difficult than a KS campaign to reach stretch goals due to a limited amount of investor funding allowed.

It's because FIG also allows investors alongside regular pledges

And the investment terms are vastly better than those of Psychonauts 2 from what I remember.

This seems actually pretty reasonable and there's a decent upside. On Psychonauts the game had to sell like 4 million units at full price for you to barely triple your money. It was an insanely terrible investment.

Poyunch

Yeah put me in the camp that's also surprised it didn't do as well in Kickstarter that it did on Fig. Backed on both ends but wowee at such an improved success rate.

kulapik

This seems to have died down since it reached the goal. I don't think it will hit any stretch goal besides the ones already there.

Moobabe

This seems to have died down since it reached the goal. I don't think it will hit any stretch goal besides the ones already there.

The buzz has died down now it's reached the goal, for sure. If everyone is anything like me I was just so swept up in making this reach the goal that now anything else is a bonus, rather than something I'm gunning for.

Big Nikus

Another stream live right now: https://www.twitch.tv/idgi_1

Also, update from the other day, abouth Stealth:

Stealth in the Tower (a new element not present in Game One) revolves around two key factors: visibility and sound. The A.I is designed to be able to perceive, respond and react to both. Being stealthy therefore relies upon your ability to become invisible and silent.

First, you’ll need to get your hands on some highly experimental Stealth Shield nodes. These are hardpoint devices, and can be attached to either your Battle Utility Suit or Freefall Suit. You cannot equip both Stealth and Combat Shield nodes at the same time, so to be stealthy means a reduction in armour capabilities. This gameplay option carries with it some interesting trade-offs, and when working in tandem with other mechanics will make for a pretty interesting ride.

The general rule of thumb for successfully approaching The Tower with Stealth is to carefully monitor (see: stalk) the routines of potential combatant squads. Find out where they move, how they move, and then discover the best way to get past them or where best to confront them. This can be fun too because, in order to maximize immersion, we plan on taking NPC “idle chatter” to the next level. Follow potential combatants from the shadows and watch them interact with each other and the environment in a multitude of interesting ways… biding your time, waiting for the right moment to strike.

Here is a list of general features we have planned for Stealth:

While in “Stealth Mode,” your H.U.D. will display the distance of all visible potential combatants, as well as their capabilities such as armour and shielding.
You’ll be able to mark potential combatants to help keep track of where you last saw them, and your own last known position will also be marked on your HUD in the event you’re spotted. This is so that you can keep track of where combatants may be searching for you.
Multiple levels of toggleable stealth strength. Each level progressively drains more energy, while achieving greater levels of invisibility.
A.I. will be aware of their environment. Meaning, for example, if you recycle an object within a combatant's “pathing,” or right in front of them, they may notice and investigate.
All sounds will be recognized by potential combatants nearby. Footfalls (not shrouded by Shock Absorbers), weapons fire, or even just the act of accidentally pushing objects around the environment will all cause potential combatants to react and investigate.
If you fire your weapon, receive any damage, or so much as touch a potential combatant, invisibility will be temporarily lost.
Speak anytime while using Stealth. This goes beyond tormenting potential combatants for your own amusement and can actually be a viable method of pushing them into submission before even showing yourself. Tell them to drop their weapons, interrogate them for information, etc. Only be careful, because depending on their personality and agitation level, some potential combatants may simply open fire when they hear a disembodied voice! “It’s a ghost, kill it!”

All in all, moving around potential combatants while invisible can become a very delicate endeavour.
That's all for right now, more coming soon!

-iDGi and The Tower team

https://youtu.be/tuYkZt_ORoU

There's just four days left to support this. I was surprised they stopped sending emails after it hit the goal. I kind of forgot about it, but glad I didn't.

About 50+ hours left, at $330k

Here are two revealed stretch goals

jmW43Zn.jpg

Big Nikus

There's a reddit AMA with Gregory MacMahin (idgi) and Greg Zeschuk (co-founder of BioWare) at 1PM today (Pacific time, so... I googled Pacific Time and, it seems it's in one hour ?)

And tomorrow, a Twitch stream on idgi channel with Jeremy Soule as a guest :)

There's a reddit AMA with Gregory MacMahin (idgi) and Greg Zeschuk (co-founder of BioWare) at 1PM today (Pacific time, so... I googled Pacific Time and, it seems it's in one hour ?)

And tomorrow, a Twitch stream on idgi channel with Jeremy Soule as a guest :)

Anyone got a link? I searched Reddit but the AMAs were from three months ago (KS campaign) and three years ago (original Consortium project).

I can't check fig's site because it seems to be down for maintenance.

edit: nm, thanks!

Expanded simulation pls.

I'm so glad that this is getting made but it absolutely deserves more attention than it's getting.

I don't think anyone would disagree. I think it's relatively unlikely unless they get a last minute media push though. Regardless it's funded so I'm happy.

AHA-Lambda

Anyone else get a weird email from Kickstarter updates about this?

Keeps making references to the number 21, like a code or ARG or something

Big Nikus

There's not enough people asking questions on the reddit AMA ! I've asked like seven questions and they've answered to all of them, but they must be tired of me by now.

My questions

Any possibility that the stretch goal concepts/content could be revisited for post-release DLC/expansions/updates if they aren't reached?
Yes, that is indeed possible. We obviously want to make the best game we possibly can so we'll be looking into all ways of expanding the scope and features of the game.

What kind of stealth tactics and mechanics are planned besides cloaking? Takedowns, decoys, silencers, etc.?
Lethal and non-lethal takedowns are planned. "Microphone rounds" for the Kinetic Assault Rifle are also on the drawing board, details to be released later but they tie the stealth system into the diplomacy system. If we hit our first stretch goal you will be able to upgrade gear to further support Stealth as well.

The environmental destruction during the free fall assault looked pretty impressive. How advanced will destruction be (i.e. could you destroy the supports of a balcony to take out a patrol)?
Yes, situations like you describe will be found in the game. Certain parts of the world will be destructable and they will stand out from parts that are not.

pmj

I just got an email saying I haven't completed my pledge yet and I'm not sure what that means, because as far as I can see my information on FIG is good.

Did this happen to anyone else?

epmode

I just got an email saying I haven't completed my pledge yet and I'm not sure what that means, because as far as I can see my information on FIG is good.

Did this happen to anyone else?

I had the same message. I'm a backer and I even logged back in to Fig to confirm that my pledge was still in place. Probably a glitch. I hope.

epmode

Here's hoping for a last-minute surge. I'd love to hit the expanded simulation goal!

Regarding those emails stating that your pledge may not be confirmed:

As a follow-up, a few quick reasons why the email may have mistakenly showed up in your inbox:
​
1. You were on a different email account used to register on Fig than the email you used to sign up for super backer status
​
2. You backed the game in the time since we pulled out email list last night
​
3. The email sorting didn't exclude those who canceled a pledge, and then went on to make a new pledge following that
​
We'll be more diligent in the future before we reach out like this. We'd hate to be the cause of any alarm. :)

#3 is me.

That's why I asked whether those of you who were getting the notice that your pledges weren't complete were investors or not. They're not able to collect until SEC approves it.

http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/...have-approval-for-crowd-investing-&GroupKeys=

Looks like Fig still hasn't sorted out the crowdfunding issue with Psychonauts 2. I suppose the same thing is going to affect Consortium? Yikes.

The new filing streamlines the process, such that the organization need not create a separate limited liability corporation for each game. Instead, all funds will go into Fig’s working capital and then managed via development advances.

The company is also instituting milestone-related disbursements. In the original filing, Fig would have distributed all investment funds at the start of the project.

huh?

Okay, so now all the money for all Fig projects are going into one big pot at Fig and they'll pay out the amount funded in installments based on reaching milestones. On paper that sounds fair but who gets to set the milestones? Did the developers (including iDGi) ever agree to those terms when they signed on with Fig?

You see why I argue that adding all this isn't true crowdfunding?

http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/...have-approval-for-crowd-investing-&GroupKeys=

Looks like Fig still hasn't sorted out the crowdfunding issue with Psychonauts 2. I suppose the same thing is going to affect Consortium? Yikes.

huh?

Okay, so now all the money for all Fig projects are going into one big pot at Fig and they'll pay out the amount funded in installments based on reaching milestones. On paper that sounds fair but who gets to set the milestones? Did the developers (including iDGi) ever agree to those terms when they signed on with Fig?

You see why I argue that adding all this isn't true crowdfunding?

Whoa. This should be a new thread no? It's pretty big news..

Big Nikus

Yeah I was about to bump this thread. It's great to have an update. And Mark Meer is in ? That's even better.
I'm convinced that there's a lot of people who would be really interested in the game and have never heard of it, and I don't know what to do to spread the word.

Top Bottom