• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Crackdown 3 screenshot

wapplew

There is a panel now going on at SDCC. Cant find a higher res yet of the screenshot.

forpastecrackdown3viscdsjl.jpg

This already look better than Sunset Overdrive.

Crackdown-3-gif-2.gif

Game is shaping to be the technical showcase for Xbox one X.
Multiplayer will melt faces on one X.

This looks like it's on a really small budget.

I don't know why you feel that way. I'm assuming the art style? It's the same as the other games. This looks far and away better than those games on a technical level. I'm a little disappointed Major Nelson keeps spewing "this game is all about destruction" in these SDCC videos when it's clearly been toned down for everything but multiplayer.

ISee

That looks different than what they showed at E3. But still I call bullshot.

Looking at the aliasing everywhere, no it's probably not a bullshot. This must look terrible in motion.
Or maybe it's just an extremly bad bullshot or an early build or whatever, who knows.

Dynasty

I don't know why you feel that way. I'm assuming the art style? It's the same as the other games. This looks far and away better than those games on a technical level. I'm a little disappointed Major Nelson keeps spewing "this game is all about destruction" in these SDCC videos when it's clearly been toned down for everything but multiplayer.

I'm disapointed that they haven't even showed the multiplayer yet. They also need to announce a Beta to get people hyped.

Stillmatic

Looking at the aliasing everywhere, no it's probably not a bullshot. This must look terrible in motion.
Or maybe it's just an extremly bad bullshot or an early build or whatever, who knows.

It's a compressed bullshot. Meaning, a render (or possibly a different gameplay pic) has been photoshopped onto an ingame screenshot, that's been compressed to hell and back.

barit

Dualshockers posted some SDCC gameplay videos http://www.dualshockers.com/crackdown-3-xbox-one-pc-gameplay-video/, and sure as hell it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the screenshot in the OP.

Yeah saw that too before entering the thread. My first reaction on the OP screenshot was: "That's not what I saw just a minute ago". Dunno why there are so big difference between these screenshots and promo material and the actual real-life gameplay which they showed at SDCC

JoeLT

It's got nothing to do with the art, everything from the animations, the animation blending, the effects, lighting, world, it all looks REALLY janky. It's quite disappointing really.

bede-x

This already look better than Sunset Overdrive.

Crackdown-3-gif-2.gif

Game is shaping to be the technical showcase for Xbox one X.
Multiplayer will melt faces on one X.

None of their recent videos look anywhere near that gif and I can't imagine the full game will even in multi player.

It's got nothing to do with the art, everything from the animations, the animation blending, the effects, lighting, world, it all looks REALLY janky. It's quite disappointing really.
Haha yeah. You know those people complaining about the animations in the Spiderman demo?

They'd need therapy after watching these videos.

HeatBoost

I keep thinking that there has to be some secret element they haven't shown yet. Like maybe the destruction really is in, and is in single player, and really is pervasive.

Because as it stands, this... this just looks like the old game, except with more draw distance and more complex environmental geometry so far. Surely there's something else? A new melee combat system? Some kinda weapon customization? Crazy, Ratchet and Clank-esque weapons? Giant robots? Loot? Boss battles that are actual boss battles and not just "kill that conspicuous NPC"? How the hell have they been working on this for so long for it to be so unremarkable looking!?

Hmm

Yeah. I don't know. I don't feel that way and my standards for open world/sandbox games is pretty high. Looks great to me.

wolgoen

Dualshockers posted some SDCC gameplay videos http://www.dualshockers.com/crackdown-3-xbox-one-pc-gameplay-video/, and sure as hell it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the screenshot in the OP.

I don't need to say the
'd'
word but it's quite obvious when comparing the earlier footage to those videos.

It may be a bit sharper and bit better looking than it's predecessor but it looks like more of the same to me, not a bad thing to everyone though.

Apathy

Haha yeah. You know those people complaining about the animations in the Spiderman demo?

They'd need therapy after watching these videos.

The characters animation when like holding a car and his to half never moves and is rigid was one of the funniest gifs from e3

Why'd they go to SDCC to show the same demo :(

Different audience, they might not have seen it and it takes time away from development to make demos so they just show the same one

Ushay

The bullest of all shots. Not even close to the gameplay on show. The Commander Jackson trailer looks ace, if only the game looked and animated like this too.

nOoblet16

I think he means this:

E3:

After E3:
Gameplay

Cutscenes (assuming pre-rendered obviously)

This game's art style is so inconsistent.
The first image is totally cel shaded cartoon, the 2nd one is cel-shaded cartoon with a touch of realism. The last image is pretty much totally realistic with a bit of caartoon thrown in to remind you they dont want to go fully realistic. And then have that outline to make the character look cel shaded...what?

Apathy

This game's art style is so inconsistent.
The first image is totally cel shaded cartoon, the 2nd one is cel-shaded cartoon with a touch of realism. The last image is pretty much totally realistic with a bit of caartoon thrown in to remind you they dont want to go fully realistic. And then have that outline to make the character look cel shaded...what?

I gotta imagine the demo they are showing off actually running is the art style they decided on. If screens don't look that way then we can just call them bullshots

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Have they released any official b-roll gameplay footage from missions? Only pieces I've seen is with celebs who have no idea what to do just free roaming.

Trup1aya

If people weren't already too hot on the game, they now decide to pull the master move of releasing footage of somebody playing this for the first time and having trouble with the controls...

In 2017, why do people, who appear to have never played video games before, still get to do all the demos?

jelly

The LOD and pop in is pretty harsh in game play. The screenshot seems like the opposite for screenshot purposes. Sunset Overdirve looks really nice but also has harsh pop in.

As for the animation, they said it's because how the game plays, animation isn't suppose to get in the way of fast movement and shooting etc. and I can sort of get with that, whether it's completely true, have to ask devs.

Wamb0wneD

Looks like the new Crackdown. Like they have shown.
I like the artstyle.
Can't wait for the sheep filled antihype train that will fill this thread.

Nope. That's the exact same artstyle.

It really isn't. Maybe the lighting makes such a huge difference but this doesn't look like the E3 footage.

This game's gonna be a visual treat on the PC/XOX version.

Is the W10 version gonna be locked at 30 fps because of that cloud stuff?

Can we stop acting like this is some Crysis level stuff?

I knowm, YT compression etc...
But YT doesn't make this:
lloks like this:

B-b-b-but visual treat! Technical showcase!

the screenshot reminds me a bit of how everything on XBOXXXX was extreeeemme - and dino crisis 3 ended up in space with space people (well the suit does anyhow).

I'm sure more pics/footage will surface soon. That gif looks... bad.

Looks rough, hey it might be fun to play though and I enjoyed my time with the first game. I didn't even bother with the Halo 3 beta as I can't get into that franchise at all.

I know people like to say a lot about Crackdown's visual style but surely you can make it look better than this? Better lighting, shadows and so on? They have been under scrutiny for a while over first party and when they show something like this it doesn't help matters at all.

I'm tired of ragging on them to be honest, they have what seems to be a core group of die hards telling them they can do no wrong at all and it seems they have their ear. Good luck to them.

Tonky

You would think that they would at least add some dynamic lighting or crazy particle effects to the orbs...but nope. Just based on what I've seen, it seems like they've put very little effort into the game despite having ample time (> 3 years).

Considering what other open-world games have accomplished this gen, this is honestly what the game should look like:

Not this:

JoeLT

You would think that they would at least add some dynamic lighting or crazy particle effects to the orbs...but nope. Just based on what I've seen, it seems like they've put very little effort into the game despite having ample time (> 3 years).

Considering what other open-world games have accomplished this gen, this is honestly what the game should look like:

Not this:
This is why I absolutely think this was a budget title with a small team.

Not this:
Or rather, this is what they could pull off amidst development struggles. Shinobi mentioned the game was having trouble but that it was coming together. I'd be really interested in reading on development of this game. I imagine having three different teams working on it and, perhaps, an unclear vision resulted in what we see here.

JlNX

Crackdown visuals/geometry over the years:

Gamescom 2015:
Developer update 2016: Accompanied dev podcast:https://soundcloud.com/crackdowngame/developer-podcast-agility-in-crackdown-3
E3 2017/SDCC 2017 Build:
After E3 Writer Interview:
After E3 Terry crews Cutscene reveal:
SDCC Terry Crews reveal:

What the fuck is this games art style and which build is new or old or final or polished?

Remember if you quote me to delete gifs/pics to not fill the thread.
This is why I absolutely think this was a budget title with a small team.

It's definitely not low budget at all, 4 independent teams Reagent, Cloudgine, Sumo and Ruffian over 4 years. Reagent, Cloudgine and Ruffian working on the multiplayer and Sumo and Reagent working on Single player. Reagent is the creative director over everything lead by Dave Jones the creator of Crackdown, Cloudgine works on the cloud tech, with Sumo there for the campaign Workload and Ruffian the Multiplayer.

Top Bottom