• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

Anyone who bought an iPhone 8 through AT&T seeing a phantom iPhone in their order? Mine shows that I ordered 2 items and one of the items says "iPhone 8 Plus" and the other one shows "NOT_AVAILABLE". I am not sure what the "NOT_AVAILABLE" item is.

Caelestis

Ordered 8+ for myself and family member, but kinda meh about it. No more subsidized phones, and so much money for not even an X. Feelsbadman

Nephtis

I am struggling with deciding if I want to buy a 8+ or wait next year for the S variation.

X is definitely not a phone I want to get. There's so much wrong with it - it's kind of ridiculous. My 6S+ has been working wonderfully though. I will want a new phone sometime... I know I'm getting my mom a Galaxy S8+ and I'm already drooling at the thought of playing around with it a bit, hahaha. It's just a great phone.

Anyone who bought an iPhone 8 through AT&T seeing a phantom iPhone in their order? Mine shows that I ordered 2 items and one of the items says "iPhone 8 Plus" and the other one shows "NOT_AVAILABLE". I am not sure what the "NOT_AVAILABLE" item is.

Believe that ties into their current BOGO promotion. If you had an eligible line it would have a second “IPhone 8 Plus” listing.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I wish they would just open preorders for the X. That way everybody knows where they stand.
Yeah it really will screw me too because of iup. My renewal next year will probably be ready after the phone launches.

I am struggling with deciding if I want to buy a 8+ or wait next year for the S variation.

X is definitely not a phone I want to get. There's so much wrong with it - it's kind of ridiculous. My 6S+ has been working wonderfully though. I will want a new phone sometime... I know I'm getting my mom a Galaxy S8+ and I'm already drooling at the thought of playing around with it a bit, hahaha. It's just a great phone.
I think this is last time you will see that body form factor. I doubt we see an 8S.

CodeNfX

T-Mobile still requires you to go in store to enroll in the upgrade program. Lame. But I'm in no rush so don't really care about getting the phone in a few weeks.

d1JA6L1.png

I'm planning to enroll but is it available to do so and pre-order if I go in the morning or do I have to wait until the official release next Friday to enroll?

Nephtis

Yeah it really will screw me too because of iup. My renewal next year will probably be ready after the phone launches.

I think this is last time you will see that body form factor. I doubt we see an 8S.

That makes me sad. The asking price for the X is just too much for what they offer. Hell, the 8+ asking price is too much as it is!

Red

I was able to upgrade on iUP online despite being on t mobile. Is it only initial enrollment that requires a store visit? I was surprised it worked.

Xando

Pre ordered a 8+ and thinking about getting a Watch.

Does anyone know if you need to be with a supported carrier to use it or can i buy one and use it with my phone until my carrier is supported?

Vuze

Pre ordered a 8+ and thinking about getting a Watch.

Does anyone know if you need to be with a supported carrier to use it or can i buy one and use it with my phone until my carrier is supported?
T-Mobile FAQ says can buy the watch wherever you want and then contact them to activate it, so I assume you can simply use it without cellular for the time being.

mid83

It could also have a bad affect on Apple sales. At least for this month if people are at least waiting to see if they can get an X, then launch numbers for 8 could be way down. They may pick up if stock is limited on X. Or maybe people on 6s/7 are happy enough - they’re great phones and the 8 isn’t a huge step forward. So they’ll either get an X or wait a year and see what comes in 2018.

That’s my plan.

Was super hesitant to get one, but got an 8 on iUP anyway. Figure I can go caseless because of AppleCare, and upgrade to XI this time next year if I want. Going from a 128GB 6+ to a 64GB 8 is going to feel weird.

In for the iPhone 8 (256GB, Space Grey) and Apple Watch 3 (GPS + Cellular, 38mm, Space Grey, Dark Olive Sport Loop).

Fuck it. It's my birthday next week and I was due an upgrade on my iPhone 6 and gen 0 Apple Watch. Nearly went with the iPhone X, but I can't justify the extra moolah for features I don't care about (and a screen that's too big for me to use comfortably anyway).

TwIsTeD

Just logged in to my Verizon B2B site - I love how all of the iPhones on 2 year commitment pricing have gone up in price and now a 64gb 8 Plus is $349 and a 256gb is $499

Now that the time has finally come I just dont know if I want to spend an extra $200 for Face Unlock and OLED

(Yes - I know still being able to get the upgrade pricing is awesome)

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Reserved an Apple Watch for in-store pickup but realized almost immediately I probably can't make that time.. Anyone know if you can go later / do you need to tell them / how long do they hold it for if so?

Novocaine

Decided to get a regular 8 outright. I was mulling over the X, it sounds nice but it's too big. I'm using an SE right now and I've really gotten used to the small size and kind of enjoy less weight/space in my pockets.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I’m just planning to get the new Apple TV, just plan to walk into my local Apple store on release day and pick it up, I doubt there will be a huge demand for it where I live

deafmedal

My loving wife got up and ordered me an 8+ (SG/64), the extra features and such on the X would be lost on me plus first iterations and all... Now to find a good case. Really like Lifeproof cases so may hold out for one of those or see what folks say about the 8+ fitting in the 7+ case. Coming from a 6 so pretty excited! Will make my 6 my work phone (currently a 5) and if my wife does decide to grab the X I reckon my kid can have my wife's current 7.

Also ordered a 4k ATV this morning :)

Glad we don't need any 'puters or pads, Apple getting enough from us this year.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Think I'm gonna get the 7 for my mom as an upgrade for her old ass 5c. She says she doesn't need the latest and greatest, and the cheaper pricing works for her.

mid83

Just checked the 8 and 8 plus in all colors on AT&T and everything is showing as being delivered on 9-22.

I really think Apple is going to see a massive drop in sales of the 8/8 plus. If they have serious supply issues for the X, they are shooting themselves in the foot this year.

Red

Does anyone know if it’s normal for a T-Mobile line on iUP to be upgraded without an in store visit?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
man seeing pre orders still up is kind of funny. Everybody wants the X lol

Do they sell out every year?

Honestly if I was going to get 8+, I would wait for X too. I mean if you spending $800 already, why not just spend $200 extra and get the best out there.

Kazer

Do they sell out every year?

Honestly if I was going to get 8+, I would wait for X too. I mean if you spending $800 already, why not just spend $200 extra and get the best out there.

Typically the shipping estimate would at least be a week out at this point. And slowly slip further and further out as the day goes on.

I mean if you spending $800 already, why not just spend $200 extra and get the best out there.
I was burned twice in the past by buying Apple's bleeding edge tech releases with defective hardware (ex. iPhone 4 antenna-gate) so I switched to getting the "S" releases, that is why I am not spending the extra $200 if you want a reason for not getting the X.

Grabbed a 4K Apple TV....still unsure whether I need one as I have a Shield Tv,but those 4K movie prices might just get me to sell the shield

MThanded

I was burned twice in the past by buying Apple's bleeding edge tech releases with defective hardware (ex. iPhone 4 antenna-gate) so I switched to getting the "S" releases, that is why I am not spending the extra $200 if you want a reason for not getting the X.
I was more cautious when I didn't upgrade yearly. I'll be ditching the x in a year so I'm not too worried

marrec

Banned
Got up at my normal time, lazily opened up the Apple Store app, and was shocked to see that 8 pre-orders were still available.

Uhh...

So I got the 8+ 256 Gold. I can wait on the X, even if the screen is sexy as hell.

man seeing pre orders still up is kind of funny. Everybody wants the X lol
I am wondering if the Apple iPhone craze is over in general. The majority of the "non-techy" people I know are of the mind that their cell phones are good enough as is and they do not need to upgrade period. They think I am crazy for upgrading every two years so I do not see them buying either the 8 or the X.

CydonianKnight

Neo Member
Anyone familiar with AT&T's NEXT program? I was told last year when I signed up for it that upgrading each year wouldn't be an issue. So I talked with a rep yesterday just to confirm and they said all I would have to do is pay one additional installment on my current phone to be eligible. So I did that and when it came time to upgrade, they were trying to charge me full price for the phone instead of setting it up for another installment plan like I was on.

Oxn

Got up at my normal time, lazily opened up the Apple Store app, and was shocked to see that 8 pre-orders were still available.

Uhh...

So I got the 8+ 256 Gold. I can wait on the X, even if the screen is sexy as hell.

Are people really shocked? Did no one fully expect this to happen?

I usually upgrade on full refreshes, but can't see myself doing it. I hate the notch on the X and the 8+ is just too big, and I have large hands. Going to wait until next year to see if Cook and Ives wise up and normalize the sensor notch.

MThanded

I am wondering if the Apple iPhone craze is over in general. The majority of the "non-techy" people I know are of the mind that their cell phones are good enough as is and they do not need to upgrade period. They think I am crazy for upgrading every two years so I do not see them buying either the 8 or the X.
Yeah I upgrade yearly and most people I know don't see any reason to get a new phone. There old devices are working perfectly for them.

Anyone familiar with AT&T's NEXT program? I was told last year when I signed up for it that upgrading each year wouldn't be an issue. So I talked with a rep yesterday just to confirm and they said all I would have to do is pay one additional installment on my current phone to be eligible. So I did that and when it came time to upgrade, they were trying to charge me full price for the phone instead of setting it up for another installment plan like I was on.
I am part of that program. If you go through the AT&T website to do your upgrade, select the option to upgrade your phone, the website will prompt you to pay the remainder you owe (if you do) for the amount to upgrade your phone. I was on the 30 month program and I had 2 months left to go (for 24 months) so I had to pay off 2 months and the website charged my credit card for those 2 months I had left. Then when you select the new phone during the checkout process it will say how you want to pay for the new phone, you can either do Next 30 (get an upgrade every 2 years by trading in your phone after 24 months, or pay off the phone in 30 months), Next 24 (get an upgrade every year by trading in your phone after 12 months, or pay off the phone in 24 months), or pay it outright. After selecting the payment plan you are finished the checkout process.

Top Bottom