• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Windows 10 these days?

I haven't tried Windows 10 yet, except for the couple of times I used my mother's laptop for printing stuff. I know the OS got a lot of shit for a lot of reasons. So much that Koroush Ghazi, of TweakGuides, swore off ever making one of his famous Tweaking Companion guides for optimizations of the OS, as he "lost all respect for Microsoft".

So now we're in the back half of 2017. How's the OS? How does it compare to Windows 7? Is it more flexible and optimization-friendly than it was at launch?

gamz

Lost all respect for MS because of 10?

Idiots.

Just try it and see if you like it. It's the best Windows OS imo.

Waaghals

I think the main problem as that it collects a bit too much personal information, though most of it can be turned off.

Other than that Windows 10 was very well received.

emag

It's fine. But it's also pretty much the same as it was at launch, with a few noticeable tweaks and bug fixes, so if you hated it then you'll hate it now.

Two Words

Lost all respect for MS because of 10?

Idiots.

Just try it and see if you like it. It's the best Windows OS imo.

Windows 10 has some pretty intrusive policies when it comes to updates and user-data. There's nothing idiotic about losing respect for MS for those policies. Why do you feel the need to be so judgmental?

Social

Mine is starting to break down a bit after the latest updates. Odd bugs like not waking up the monitor from hibernation all of a sudden, not showing overlays when clicking files randomly... Might have to do a reinstall after the next big update. It's stilla great OS but I seriously wonder when Microsoft is going to streamline the UI and make up their mind as to what it is they want exactly, modern new UI, or classic UI burried deeper and deeper each time.

gamz

Windows 10 has some pretty intrusive policies when it comes to updates and user-data. There's nothing idiotic about losing respect for MS for those policies. Why do you feel the need to be so judgmental?

Which can be turned off. Whoever this dude is and is a tweak guy wouldn't you write about that? Isn't that idiotic?

nkarafo

Can someone confirm Creators update spawning almost twice as many processes than the previous Anniversary update?

Pretty good, but I always thought it was good. People made the most fuss about the privacy things and there was a lot of misinformation around that.

There is still a lot to improve though. Visuals and setting locations are still inconsistent, but that should improve with the new update. And other general Windows problems, such as still having a pretty annoying update policy.

Which intrusive policies should be disabled upon upgrading to Windows 10? GAF recommendations specifically..

Any that you don't want during the install screen. I leave most on.

Two Words

Which can be turned off. Whoever this dude is and is a tweak guy wouldn't you write about that? Isn't that idiotic?

Millions of people that are not computer savvy use Windows 10 and do not understand that these policies exist or how to disable them. The way they are enabled is done to exploit this fact. Some people don't like that Microsoft is exploiting this fact. It's pretty weird for you to find these people to be idiots.

After 8, it's nice having the start menu back. There are also some minor QOL improvements over 7 when working with multiple windows/apps. Forced updates are bullshit though and could've been handled way better.

gamz

Millions of people that are not computer savvy use Windows 10 and do not understand that these policies exist or how to disable them. The way they are enabled is done to exploit this fact. Some people don't like that Microsoft is exploiting this fact. It's pretty weird for you to find these people to be idiots.

I just find it funny that he writes about windows tweaks and he won't write about turning off the tweaks that annoy him. It's just funny and idiotic to me is all.

OK, but when criticizing Windows 10 at least be honest from the get go that your criticisms are ethics based. From a user experience point of view, Windows 10 can't be beat.

Still Microsoft's best looking/functioning OS to date from my experience. Granted I use the enterprise version so I may not have to deal with certain shenanigans others might.

Unintuitive.

It shouldn't be unintuitive since it functions the same as their previous versions assuming you haven't been using Windows inefficiently for the last decade plus.

RevoDS

I live with it because I have to for school. After a few months with it, it's not nearly as good as Windows 7.

I spend most of my time in MacOS and switch to Windows when I have to, immediately switching back to Mac when I'm done. I don't like Windows 10, it's ugly as sin, dark and the usability is lacking. I can't compare with Windows 8 though, which I haven't tried.

It's great compared to Windows 8, but none of the new features are anything I need. Windows 7 with the same under the hood upgrades would have been ideal.

It's fast and it works but so did 7. And 7 didn't have advertisements and built in telemetry.

My wife hates it. She uses her PC occasionally and it decides to install Creators Update which takes 2+ hours to install.

Two Words

I just find it funny that he writes about windows tweaks and he won't write about turning off the tweaks that annoy him. It's just funny and idiotic to me is all.

Your threshold for what is and isn't idiotic seems weird.

OK, but when criticizing Windows 10 at least be honest from the get go that your criticisms are ethics based. From a user experience point of view, Windows 10 can't be beat.
I don't know what his issue with Windows 10 is. I'm just pointing out there are things within Windows 10 that are sketchy that can make you lose respect for Microsoft. Disagree with the "can't be beat" argument. Windows 10 has plenty of crappy UI issues. Try working on multiple displays. Windows 10's scaling is garbage for high DPI displays.

Sulik2

I absolutely hate what they did to the UI. Windows 7 is still a much better interface for a mouse and edge is garbage. I hate all the garbage store integration as well, but over all it's a stable OS and it's Windows. You have to have it.

Jonnax

Well it's "Operating System as a Service"

So random shit happens with updates.

I've had plugging in the power cable causing a black screen. Solution is to close lid then open, resume from standby.

That fixed itself after a few updates.

Also resume from hibernate was broken. Giving a windows had trouble starting screen.

Again fixed after some updates.

It's trained me not to trust my pc haha.

Heysoos

Best and favorite Windows OS I've used. 🤷🏽*♂️ Love a lot of the integration it has with tracking my packages with Cortana, some of the Xbox live integration too and it's extremely fast. No complaints from me, personally. Though I'm sure some of the stuff I like is the reasons other people might not like it.

I love it. Every update seems to change my settings in some way. I'm remaining wary as a power user who needs things exactly his way.

Vixdean

I haven't tried Windows 10 yet, except for the couple of times I used my mother's laptop for printing stuff. I know the OS got a lot of shit for a lot of reasons. So much that Koroush Ghazi, of TweakGuides, swore off ever making one of his famous Tweaking Companion guides for optimizations of the OS, as he "lost all respect for Microsoft".

So now we're in the back half of 2017. How's the OS? How does it compare to Windows 7? Is it more flexible and optimization-friendly than it was at launch?

The only thing it got shit for was people whining about being forced to upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 and a bunch of data collection settings that could be easily disabled. It's the best desktop OS out there, bar none. I hate myself every time I have to use the Macbook Pro my work got me.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
It has always been awesome lol

but I have a pretty high end laptop, I don't know how it performs on lower end machines but supposed to be better than older windows.

Two Words

The only thing it got shit for was people whining about being forced to upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 and a bunch of data collection settings that could be easily disabled. It's the best desktop OS out there, bar none. I hate myself every time I have to use the Macbook Pro my work got me.

From an OS user experience, what are you missing about Windows 10 when using your Mac?

Vixdean

From an OS user experience, what are you missing about Windows 10 when using your Mac?

Window snapping for one. Explorer shits all over Finder in every way and always has. Just multitasking in general is smoother and faster on W10. The only thing I used to prefer about OSX was Spotlight searching (which used to be a 3rd party app called Quicksilver since Apple never invents anything worth a damn on their own), but Windows search works just as well/fast now.

I was okay with it until the Creators Update, where things suddenly became wonky. I should probably reformat but whatever. Fuck Windows.

afroguy10

I'm looking at upgrading from Windows 7 but I want the most full featured version of Windows 10 and I feel when I'm looking online, prices are all over the place for keys. To the point where I can't seem to find a middle ground where I don't feel like I'm going to get scammed or I'm being ripped off. Can anyone help me out. I'm in the UK by the way if that helps.

Two Words

Window snapping for one. Explorer shits all over Finder in every way and always has. Just multitasking in general is smoother and faster on W10. The only thing I used to prefer about OSX was Spotlight searching (which used to be a 3rd party app called Quicksilver since Apple never invents anything worth a damn on their own), but Windows search works just as well/fast now.

I agree with snapping. That's why I got some software to replicate the Windows snapping experience. I'm not sure how Explorer is better than Finder. My experience with both has been pretty identical. Same for multitasking. I'm not sure what about Windows 10 is delivering a better multitasking experience. Though I have replicated the window snapping on my Mac, which is important for multitasking.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I installed Win10 for the first time about a month ago, so I went to it in a fairly matured state, and I also immediately followed guides to tweak the OS to get rid of tracking and autoupdates and other annoyances etc.

For me it's been fine. But I didn't have to go through creators updates or anything like that.

Top Bottom