• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I've only rated SAO alongside School Days as a 2/10, they're the worst shows on my list and I can certainly call SAO one of the worst anime I've watched, if not the actual worst one. And most people who make that sort of statement are likely referring to a show they didn't actually drop extremely early. Those others have hardly been 'seen" after all.

Part of the reason for SAO's hatred is that its popularity actually lead to many people watching it in the first place.

Also, who really cares if SAO looks like sophisticated dog shit compared to some dog diarrhea out there.

Cornbread78

Part of the reason for SAO's hatred is that its popularity actually lead to many people watching it in the first place.
Also, who really cares if SAO looks like sophisticated dog shit compared to some dog diarrhea out there.

FflohQi.gif

Thud

Since I've only rated SAO alongside School Days as a 2/10, they're the worst shows on my list and I can certainly call SAO one of the worst anime I've watched, if not the actual worst one. And most people who make that sort of statement are likely referring to a show they didn't actually drop extremely early. Those others have hardly been 'seen" after all.

Did you watch both seasons or just the first one?

I rated S1 with a 5 because it was just a mediocre show, but still enjoyable to some extent.

I gave S2 a 3 because the first part is completely trash (almost unwatchable). Mother's rosario bumped the score a bit.

Damn that English textbook must be really good.

Scum's Wish continues to top itself in depicting the depravity people will sink to in order to get what they think they want.
I was hoping Moka wouldn't join this circus of depravity, but nope even she is willing to sink in order to get a little attention.

Jintor

i was going to say that sao is the trump of anime but it's not actively a threat to the human race, so i guess that would be overblown

Thud

I love how everyone hates SAO, yet it is THE SHOW everyone talks about at least once a week.

For me it's because I recognize it has potential and then never lives up to it.

VR is a very interesting concept to see unfold. As a form of escapism, but also as a way to improve to life. I also don't have anything against Kirito and Asuna trying to make a living within the VR world. If SAO would deal with these kind of aspects on a regular basis, that would have been amazing.

However that's not how it's written. The focus is on Kirito slaying through everything and picking up a new waifu for his harem along the way. Obviously he has to protect his harem from creepy bad guys, because he's the chosen one. Urgh.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I got a message saying Seven Deadly Sins Season 2 was now on Netflix. Is this the real season 2 or the OVAs?

Cornbread78

Scum's Wish ep.6
Those scenes with that dude were so fu(ked up to watch.... My goodness Hanabe, you are the worst. You are so fu(ked up in your own head you don't even know what is going on anymore. Ecchan is apiece of $hit, Moca is going to lose her virginity tomorrow after her date with her longtime love as Mugi takes advantage of her feelings and goes in for the kill. These people are all complete a$$holes and live trainwrecks for lives...

VR is a very interesting concept to see unfold. As a form of escapism, but also as a way to improve to life. I also don't have anything against Kirito and Asuna trying to make a living within the VR world. If SAO would deal with these kind of aspects on a regular basis, that would have been amazing.

However that's not how it's written. The focus is on Kirito slaying through everything and picking up a new waifu for his harem along the way. Obviously he has to protect his harem from creepy bad guys, because he's the chosen one. Urgh.
No I agree with you, and I totally understand. But this is indeed sort of a Trump situation, in which everyone hates him, yet he is still in power and being talked about all the time (just like mentioned above). Not to make light of America's situation or anything since lives are involved, but a direct comparison is quite amusing. People just can't seem to stop talking about what they hate. Does this mean that the thing being hated on wins, just because it is being kept in people's minds in one way or another?

Hyouka is a great show that people love and talk about quite frequently. Yet if we look at the post ratio on here, I strongly believe there is more discussion on SAO than on Hyouka itself.

Cornbread78

From what I read, you might actually really like S3 then since it is said to:

(No S3 spoilers, just references to the rumored "set-up" of S3)
focus on the "real world technology" and his "harem" is gone for the most part. Unfortunately, there will still be some creepy shit in the real world though....

Clov

Scum's Wish ep.6
Those scenes with that dude were so fu(ked up to watch.... My goodness Hanabe, you are the worst. You are so fu(ked up in your own head you don't even know what is going on anymore. Ecchan is apiece of $hit, Moca is going to lose her virginity tomorrow after her date with her longtime love as Mugi takes advantage of her feelings and goes in for the kill. These people are all complete a$$holes and live trainwrecks for lives...

Are you watching that at work? Of all anime, you really shouldn't be watching that one at work.

Cornbread78

Are you watching that at work? Of all anime, you really shouldn't be watching that one at work.

Good call, but I watched it before anyone else was in the office and my desk is in the corner of the building with nobody around and I'm on my tiny 4" old Galaxy phone because I fu(king lost my Galaxy Note 5. Well actually, I didn't "lose" it. It fell out of my pocket ad someone picked it up and after 500 calls to it some guy that doesn't speak much English called my daughter back and said he would bring the phone by my condo but never showed up. So yeah, fu(k this $20 POS phone, I want my nice big phone back.

I'm sorry, that was more than you asked for, but as you can tell, I'm still pretty pissed that one of the people in my own building has my phone and won't give it back. T-Mobil already turned it into a brick, so it's not like they can use it at all right now. $%^#^#^&###^&# &#^$%&$&$&^$^&#$#@@(^*(&*(

But that's because SAO is objectively better then Hyouka. It's common knowledge no?
LOLOLOLOLOL

Oh $hit, now you've done it!

CLaxRZI.gif

The Hyouka is the greatest thing EVER defense force is gonna pounce on your a$$... Be prepared

Cornbread78

The actual SAO games are far more entertaining than the anime has been.
I still need to get Hollow Realization.

Yeah, the games are a ton of fun. It's a shame, there still hasn't been a good sale on HR yet. Most Wal-Mart's have Lost Song on clearance for $11 around here.

Clov

Good call, but I watched it before anyone else was in the office and my desk is in the corner of the building with nobody around and I'm on my tiny 4" old Galaxy phone because I fu(king lost my Galaxy Note 5. Well actually, I didn't "lose" it. It fell out of my pocket ad someone picked it up and after 500 calls to it some guy that doesn't speak much English called my daughter back and said he would bring the phone by my condo but never showed up. So yeah, fu(k this $20 POS phone, I want my nice big phone back.

I'm sorry, that was more than you asked for, but as you can tell, I'm still pretty pissed that one of the people in my own building has my phone and won't give it back. T-Mobil already turned it into a brick, so it's not like they can use it at all right now. $%^#^#^&###^&# &#^$%&$&$&^$^&#$#@@(^*(&*(

Wow, that sucks. I lost my phone at a fireworks show on Canada Day once, actually. The jeans I was wearing had no pockets, so I was keeping it in my sweater pocket. It slipped out at some point when I was walking around. Thankfully my friend called my phone, and the person who found it picked up and answered. We met by a close by landmark and I got my phone back pretty quickly.

I really need to upgrade mine; I'm still using the same Nexus 4 I've had for the past few years. I'll try and do it in the summer.

dan2026

I did try watching SAO but just got sort of bored and dropped it.

I'm not even sure I can call it awful, because truthfully I can't remember anything about it.
Guess its one of those things that just came along at the right time and became popular.

Did you watch both seasons or just the first one?

I rated S1 with a 5 because it was just a mediocre show, but still enjoyable to some extent.

I gave S2 a 3 because the first part is completely trash (almost unwatchable). Mother's rosario bumped the score a bit.

All of S1, first half of S2.

It's all bad, even the first half of S1. It's not downright as terrible as what follows after but it's still bad by any decent standard.

I love how everyone hates SAO, yet it is THE SHOW everyone talks about at least once a week.

But that's not the case. The reason why it comes up regularly is because there are some people here who do like it and get upset about the harsh criticism it receives. In addition SAO has had a pretty consistent stream of content over the last few years.

Thud

No I agree with you, and I totally understand. But this is indeed sort of a Trump situation, in which everyone hates him, yet he is still in power and being talked about all the time (just like mentioned above). Not to make light of America's situation or anything since lives are involved, but a direct comparison is quite amusing. People just can't seem to stop talking about what they hate. Does this mean that the thing being hated on wins, just because it is being kept in people's minds in one way or another?

Hyouka is a great show that people love and talk about quite frequently. Yet if we look at the post ratio on here, I strongly believe there is more discussion on SAO than on Hyouka itself.

I think it's to find some form of relief by posting about it. "Ah, I'm not alone." Now if I would say I love Log Horizon (S1), it would probably get ignored. :p

Anyway we're having elections soon in the Netherlands, so we've been focusing our attention on that. However when one party wins here we're not immediately screwed as our votes are divided between various parties (28 parties are in the campaign race).

From what I read, you might actually really like S3 then since it is said to:

(No S3 spoilers, just references to the rumored "set-up" of S3)
focus on the "real world technology" and his "harem" is gone for the most part. Unfortunately, there will still be some creepy shit in the real world though....

I'm already too far in to back down (naruto effect). At least it sounds more interesting.

Thud

All of S1, first half of S2.

It's all bad, even the first half of S1. It's not downright as terrible as what follows after but it's still bad by any decent standard.

Might be the binge effect that makes me mellow some things out, but I agree it's pretty bad from the get go.

Anyway I was surprised by Mother's rosario arc after all that in S2.

TheChaos0

But that's because SAO is objectively better then Hyouka. It's common knowledge no?

llFrrYP.gif

I knew I'd get to use this gif one day!

So I order Sword of the Stranger... the import, the next day UK version comes up for a preorder... Then again not sure I'd want to wait until June to get the same thing.

I think it's to find some form of relief by posting about it. "Ah, I'm not alone." Now if I would say I love Log Horizon (S1), it would probably get ignored. :p

Anyway we're having elections soon in the Netherlands, so we've been focusing our attention on that. However when one party wins here we're not immediately screwed as our votes are divided between various parties (28 parties are in the campaign race).

I'm already too far in to back down (naruto effect). At least it sounds more interesting.

Now that's a more legitimate successor to .hack. Can we get more .hack? :(

Chindogg

Man the more I read about everyone's responses to Scum's Wish the less I want to see it. I hate seeing people hurt by terrible people, especially sexually. Just bothers me to a particular level.

Oddly enough, it's part of the reason why I haven't seen SAO yet. Things like Rape continue to bother me significantly.

Puruzi

Banned
Man the more I read about everyone's responses to Scum's Wish the less I want to see it. I hate seeing people hurt by terrible people, especially sexually. Just bothers me to a particular level.

Oddly enough, it's part of the reason why I haven't seen SAO yet. Things like Rape continue to bother me significantly.
Everyone is a terrible person in Scum's Wish

Line_HTX

Still can't get tickets for Ordinal Scale as for some reason they'll have it in the middle of March.

Meanwhile Mike would enjoy himself in the Japan theater. ;P

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SAO is fine for what it is (a bad show with decent production values) and the TOONAMI thread overreacted because of the hype of it being the worst show ever.

TheChaos0

There's nothing terribly offensive in SAO, the villain in the 2nd arc is a big big big huge, the hugest scumbag though.

Sadly it seems that SAO has bested the test of time while Hyouka hasn't. EVERYONE GO WATCH HYOUKA AND MAKE ME FEEL BETTER.

Doesn't help it's not licensed or can be watched legally anywhere.

Showa Rakugo Ep 9

A slip of tongue brought Sukeroku from hero to zero... Time skip incoming?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
SAO is fine for what it is (a bad show with decent production values) and the TOONAMI thread overreacted because of the hype of it being the worst show ever.

I think Toonami had the perfect reactions to the stupidity that is SAO and that made it better to watch. Now, Akame Ga Kill was the slog of the ages.

Cornbread78

1) The problem with Scum's Wish is that all of the characters are knowingly and willingly doing it to themselves or are letting it be done. This is part of the reason it is so uncomfortable to watch at times. I mean, it's sexually explicit, yes, but more emotionally uncomfortable because they take normal human reactions/emotions and magnify them by portraying situations you know you would AVOID, but instead, they thrust the characters right into those stupid/awkward and self-destructive situations and don't look back.

I mean, I did a lot of "uncomfortable" things at that age as well, haven't we all? (whether right or wrong) I just did them for my own selfish reason, or trying to go the exact opposite and not considering my own feelings when trying to make someone else happy and give them what they want.

Hanabi is confused as hell in the emotions she has towards everyone and from the most recent episode, she explicitly points out, she thinks she is seeking acceptance and self-confidence through attraction/affection from others in the form of sexual attention (even though she is a virgin.) She's completely going about things the wrong way here and is at the point of being permanently damaged, especially depending on how she answers the message she just got at the end of the last episode.

It's as emotionally confusing as real life people feel and that is what makes the show so damn impactful.

No, No, No, No you stupid girl, no.

2) There are no "Rape" scenes in SAO, but yeah, there is some serious rapey $hit at the end of S1 by a certain villain used to make him appear to be even more of a sick ba$tard and it really wasn't needed

I guess I was able to distinguish the fact that there are 2 parts of SAO Real World vs. Digital World, and the part in the real world by this guys was worse to me. Not a good look either way, but hey.

Cornbread78

Many of the
"Super Aids"
comments were pretty embarrassing, lol.

Sadly it seems that SAO has bested the test of time while Hyouka hasn't. EVERYONE GO WATCH HYOUKA AND MAKE ME FEEL BETTER.

Get your blow horn ready because it tough to keep some people awake through that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom