• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Welp, this thread reassured me to wait on this game. I figured it was a little jank from the lack of hype behind it.

hi, want my copy? $61 but comes with a kiss

what the fuck is this shit, epic/pcf? how do you go from the absolutely amazing bulletstorm, with its super hilarious dialog and characters, incredible spectacle, ridiculous encounter design, and edge-of-your-seat "what will they think of next" gameplay to this abortive, uncreative, underdesigned warmed-over-shit disaster? what the fuck, seriously. how did anyone play this and say, "yeah, this is a cohesive and fun experience." the squad in this game is like barely there, too. it doesn't even do the things gears historically gets right right.

i don't like horde mode, i don't want to play horde mode, i don't want my single player campaign to be a series of horde mode levels. stop it. stop it stop it stop it. SUCKS/10.

It doesn't feel like a campaign. It's a rough collection of randomized encounters loosely linked together by stat sheets for stars and scores nobody gives a fuck about. And because they cut out so much of the non-battle sections, you don't get any kind of banter or cohesive sense of progression through the game. As soon as one battle is over, you're right into the next one. Fuck pacing, right?

And then just wave after wave after wave defense sections....ugggggh

Epic...you dun goofed

Nori Chan

I also missed 1. I figured I would just save it for my insane run though. I am really dreading the one where you have to protect the bot on the street from the ragers. That was so hard just on hardcore.

I missed 1 goddamn classified mission. Out of 42.

Also, Aftermath was pretty cool. It ran worse than the main judgment campaign but it was still fun. It's crazy what removing the 'star' system does for the tone of the game.

Same thing happened with my friend. We played co op together and we're pretty sure we got all of them but he was missing 1 and strangely enough, I was missing 6 even though we literally finished the game in about 4-5 hours straight with occasional breaks. This game is really glitchy when it comes to declassified missions.

If you want to see which declassified mission you missed just go to stats/awards>campaign leader boards (should be first tab)and then go to pages 41-46 and you'll see which one you miss in what chapter.

Conor 419

Banned
I hope people see where I was coming from when I called this title overwhelmingly disappointing now. I just don't see how "oh but it's a spin off" is acceptable justification either. Regardless of the title, this game has been priced competitively with the other titles in the series, if the game couldn't live up to that standard, then it should have had a price cut or simply just not exist.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Whoa, honestly did not see these reactions coming.

I'm not surprised while playing through it, it is very arcadey and entirely different from other gear games. Liking the previous campaigns will not be enough to want to like this, it's completely combat based. Personally I really enjoyed it, and it is especially fun in co-op due to some of the extremely crazy combat scenarios it puts you through. Solo hurts this one a good bit.

I don't think so, love it...but I seem to be the only one

I am too, but the two piecing is hilariously prevalent and needs to go. I'm also really enjoying Overrun.

Still, I wouldn't blame people for waiting for more maps/tweaks at this point.

Whoa, honestly did not see these reactions coming.

LOL, you must not have read any of their posts from back before the game even came out. I wouldnt put much stock in the negative reactions. There are always people that are going to dislike change, but there are a ton of positive reactions as well. The positive people are just not as vocal as the negative people. At least since all the negative people are getting rid of their copies the thread will be a lot more positive soon.

I don't think so, love it...but I seem to be the only one

Not at all. It is my favorite Gears game by far.

Mayyhem

Welp, this thread reassured me to wait on this game. I figured it was a little jank from the lack of hype behind it.

I'm so glad I waited too. I was going to buy this because I bought every other gears on launch day but something about this one threw me off. Glad I waited and read this thread. I'll wait until its $20, shouldn't be too long.

Joba62x

Neo Member
I got it from Redbox for $2.17 and I still felt like I wasted money(plus the gas to drive to CVS and back, lol)

This is why you use 220 Bing points for a Redbox game coupon.

But I want my points back too, so maybe this doesn't help.

I also agree as a veteran of every Gears game that this lacks everything that made them fun. When you first really figure out the horde format in the campaign its hard not to be insulted that they tried to pass this off.

BearPawB

Banned
Redboxed it. Haven't touched multiplayer, but i thought the campaign was fun. Without the declassified stuff i would have probably been underwhelmed.

Man I loved gears of war 1-2, and 3 was meh, but I loved the multiplayer. I guess you could call me a big gears of war fan, but god... I tried judgement today... and I didn't want to just jump into the multiplayer without getting a feel for the new controls/weapons, etc. So I tried out the campaign, and I thought it was awful.

I hate that you have to cycle between two weapons, and couldn't they have left the controls alone? Unless you can change them, but I haven't tried. I got as far as those stupid centipede things, probably about an hour into the game, and I just shut it off. It was just so boring. I might enjoy it a little bit when I get the chance to play with my best friend, but so far I find it terrible. I hope the multiplayer is good, as that's the only reason I wanted to play this game.

I also rented it from gamefly, if that information matters to anyone.

I think I melee more often than in Gears 3 because it's just easier than attempting to shoot. I think the aiming when you aren't actually pressing LT is inaccurate, so it's easier to melee than risk missing. At least that's me anyway.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Old Gears games felt like a battle for survival.. Judgment TDM feels like a race to 50, resulting in a polar opposite feeling.

To me that's how Gears 3 TDM felt too. I don't feel like it's specific to judgement and is more to do with the lack of a no respawn mode yet.

Execution will fix that.

Until you get two-pieced.

ShogunX

Having a lot of fun in multiplayer. Been doing ranked TDM all day with a team of four others and we have had some very tense and close games. Had a 50-48 on Streets after the opposition team took control of the rooftops and we had problems getting it back (Two guys being deadly with the Hammerburst).

Liking most of the changes to MP even though some things could of been done better.

Ban Puncher

Did the entire campaign in co-op on hardcore with every declassified mission but when we finished up only one of our party (the host incidentally) had the full 42/42 completed where everyone else had a bunch missing from the campaign stats even though the chapter select showed them as complete. The ones missing were completely random and varied between players too.

Had 8 missing myself, went back and solo'd them on casual a day later just to let the achievement click over. Might want to squish this bug PCF/Epic.

Did the entire campaign in co-op on hardcore with every declassified mission but when we finished up only one of our party (the host incidentally) had the full 42/42 completed where everyone else had a bunch missing from the campaign stats even though the chapter select showed them as complete. The ones missing were completely random and varied between players too.

Had 8 missing myself, went back and solo'd them on casual a day later just to let the achievement click over. Might want to squish this bug PCF/Epic.

I doubt they will. Past games in the series have never been good with keeping stats separated for co-op play. In Gears 3, I remember doing a glitch that would switch ranks between you and another person. It was pretty crazy.

GOW 3 > 1 > 2 > J

Come at me.
GOW 1 > GOW J > the other ones. GOW J is more replayable tho. I am fucking loving this on solo insane, but its more mayhem, where Gears 1 was more tactical aggro.

I have a gnasher at the ready.

I had to shut if off after my third "another wave" encounter. This is so disappointing. Wow.
That's what this game *is*. Revel in it.

Its pure combat mechanics with very little fluff. The mainline Gears games exist for story and character and world building. This is pure dynamic combat with a ton of variety to the scenarios. I can't get enough.

DocSeuss

I know people are all upset and shit, but you know what? This game is combat. Just like Bulletstorm, it's all about letting players do crazy shit with the tools available at their disposal. So it changes up the enemies, the weapons, and introduces campaign mutators. Unlike Bulletstorm, though, it breaks everything up into discrete arenas. I'd like it to flow more traditionally. This bonus campaign feels SO GOOD because it actually has a solid flow. If the entire campaign felt like the bonus campaign on the first try, then allowed players to go back through and treat them like bite-sized chunks, it'd be better.

I wish they'd let you add friendly AI to the survival stuff, 'cause I'd probably play that for months.

There is no third person shooter better than this, and yeah, all the people who've been erroneously claiming Vanquish is the best TPS of this gen can suck it, because they're completely, utterly wrong. Judgment pure technical perfection. This is amazing. So many different enemies that can completely change-up the way players tackle the game, based on their makeup. The guns are rock-solid, aiming's nigh-flawless (I'm feeling a bit bad at nailing headshots, but that's because I'm using a controller. Sigh.), and the levels offer a great deal of variety.

Utterly gorgeous game, too. From an artistic perspective, it's one of the most attractive games I've seen this gen.

The writer, unfortunately, is absolutely awful, and should probably seek a career elsewhere.

Also, since other people are doing it... For me, Bonus Campaign > 3 > J > 2 > Raam's Shadow > 1. I might have to replay Gears 2 though, since that's been a long time. Gears 1, which I've been replaying recently, has been a tremendous disappointment. It's not nearly as fun as 3 was.

JimiNutz

Banned
Finished the campaign (not Aftermath yet) last night and have mixed feelings.

+ Most beautiful Gears SP (best mix of new graphic tech with original games art style).
+ Very repayable due to smart spawn system, declassified missions, and star rating system.
+ New weapons are very fun and useful.
+ No shitty on rails shooting segments.
+ No shitty tacked on vehicle segments.
+ No pointless fetch quests.
+ Locust AI seems to be best it's ever been.
+ Has taken the intensity and chaos of Horde mode and incorporated it into the campaign.

- Most definitely feels like an add-on/expansion rather than a full Gears campaign.
- Story and characters are boring. Cole under-used.
- Lack of variety in campaign, feels like a bunch of shooting rooms stuck together with nothing in the middle.
- Star system can be obnoxious and makes the campaign feel less like a story.
- No epic set-pieces or 'water cooler' moments.

That being said I still prefer this campaign to Gears 3 and 2. I have a lot of faith that PCF could make an amazing Gears 4 given enough time and resource.

MormaPope

Banned
The more I hear about Judgement the more I want to buy and play it, Gears 2 and 3 were both disappointing for me, Gears 1 is still the best in the series in my eyes.

baphomet

I haven't paid much attention to this, and it's probably been mentioned, but what's up with the gun swap animation? It looks like it's sped up way faster than it should be. It's almost comical.

Thank goodness I used my amazon points and got this free - this is hands down the worst gears game in the series for me.

The tower defense crap was silly. Oh yeah, the lets throw challenges that obscure your view shit has got to go.

I miss the old days; doubt they'll ever come close to the magic of the original gears. Judgment campaign is basically horde mode - what an absolutely horrible idea.

MormaPope

Banned
I doubt they will. Past games in the series have never been good with keeping stats separated for co-op play. In Gears 3, I remember doing a glitch that would switch ranks between you and another person. It was pretty crazy.

Ahhhhhh, that sorta glitch. This type of glitch was extremely easy to do back on the first Rainbow Six Vegas. You just need to sign into the other person's Gamertag and then sign back in to your own in the multiplayer menu.

Gears 3 was one of the most fully-rounded games this gen, just packed with layers of content. Bought the season pass, a gun skin and sunk crazy hours into it. This I feel should be half the price it is. Only one campaign level (Aftermath) worth a damn and anemic mp. PCF's influence is barely felt in this and everything feels like the bare-minimum effort went into it. Disappointed purchase of the year so far.

HiiiLife

GoWJ is about to be the fastest game I've ever returned to the store. It's only been a few days. Haha. This is just shitty titty. Do better Epic.

Speaking of returning, if any of you guys have done so already, let me know which retailer has the best opportunity of flipping the trade in credit. Because I still need to pay off Bioshock AND pick up Gears 3 again.

Mik3F

GoWJ is about to be the fastest game I've ever returned to the store. It's only been a few days. Haha. This is just shitty titty. Do better Epic.

Speaking of retuning, if any of you guys have done so already, let me know which retailer has the best opportunity of flipping the trade in credit. Because I still need to pay off Bioshock AND pick up Gears 3 again.

I would do the same with my copy too but my lad is loving it. I absolutley loved Gears 1 - 3 but this is just utter crap as far as I am concerned.

I let my sub run out and would have renewed had the MP been any good but again it just doesn't do anything for me.

Bitterly disappointed with this

2San

Played the Judgment MP, private matches(7man party). Had more fun with it. Especially with FFA. It's way too clusterfucky with 10 people. Tactics are still hard to find. That's obvious when no one picks lancers for support fire. When you spawned with lancer and gnasher, people would at least switch to rifle when the situation called for it.

Wow don't know why you all moaning

Guess it should have launched with that free DLC the 2 extra maps and execution

Execution will work for you guys I bet

Killer

Banned
I like the campaign and survival. MP kinda weak though. Already bored from these 4 maps. Population is really low compared to other gears games.

Anyway, is gears 3 season pass worth it? How's the population and dedicated servers?

smik

I love Execution but that simply wont fix anything, maps are not catered for the current design setup.

EG: Library

Red team: gets only Longshot and Vulcan and Top map Control
Blue team: Gets Digger Breechshot, Flame Nades, Oneshot and the Boomshot (Blue will always get there quicker due to spawns)

Tell me which side always gets the short end of the stick?

Execution played with everyone already spawning with nades is going to cause alot of problems and martyrdom mess,
soon as someone goes down you wont be able to push for the kill.

Execution has always been about perfectly placed power weapon which are spread around the map which both teams
have a fighting chance to obtain, Weapon/Team spawns and default loadouts need to be changed in order for it to work great, the... cbf nvm

elektrixx

Banned
I don't like the way the story is told along with the levels themselves. It's like playing horde the whole game in different rooms. The sections don't naturally connect, giving Judgment a very cut & paste feel.

It's like the creators of Family Guy made it.

Baird: "That's like the time I killed the lambent wretches..."

GOW 3 > 1 > 2 > J

Come at me.

That's my order too.

smik

Can't they just release free DLC with some old maps. No need to redesign them. :|

GOWJ could do with some actual new content and maps, even though id love some remakes,
rehashing at this particular moment would make people feel even more cheating purchasing GOWJ.

2San

GOWJ could do with some actual new content and maps, even though id love some remakes,
rehashing at this particular moment would make people feel even more cheating purchasing GOWJ.
Plenty of good Gears 2 maps, people have missed because the game was broken. :O

I know people are all upset and shit, but you know what? This game is combat. Just like Bulletstorm, it's all about letting players do crazy shit with the tools available at their disposal. So it changes up the enemies, the weapons, and introduces campaign mutators. Unlike Bulletstorm, though, it breaks everything up into discrete arenas. I'd like it to flow more traditionally. This bonus campaign feels SO GOOD because it actually has a solid flow. If the entire campaign felt like the bonus campaign on the first try, then allowed players to go back through and treat them like bite-sized chunks, it'd be better.

I wish they'd let you add friendly AI to the survival stuff, 'cause I'd probably play that for months.

There is no third person shooter better than this, and yeah, all the people who've been erroneously claiming Vanquish is the best TPS of this gen can suck it, because they're completely, utterly wrong. Judgment pure technical perfection. This is amazing. So many different enemies that can completely change-up the way players tackle the game, based on their makeup. The guns are rock-solid, aiming's nigh-flawless (I'm feeling a bit bad at nailing headshots, but that's because I'm using a controller. Sigh.), and the levels offer a great deal of variety.

Utterly gorgeous game, too. From an artistic perspective, it's one of the most attractive games I've seen this gen.

The writer, unfortunately, is absolutely awful, and should probably seek a career elsewhere.

Also, since other people are doing it... For me, Bonus Campaign > 3 > J > 2 > Raam's Shadow > 1. I might have to replay Gears 2 though, since that's been a long time. Gears 1, which I've been replaying recently, has been a tremendous disappointment. It's not nearly as fun as 3 was.

What do you mean by this? If you play private survival it will fill in all the missing friendlies with AI's. I went through all 4 maps last night with 2 other friends and 2 AI's. The AI is actually really good to. None of the humans picked Cole, so the AI did and he kept throwing out ammo when we needed it.

My rankings would be J >>> 3 > 1 >>>>>>>>>> 2

JB1981

Does anybody here play with the alternate control scheme? I have played with the default scheme for years but tried alternate last night and I am having a hard time adjusting. I wanted to make the switch because I was tired of jumping when I wanted to take cover. Alternate control scheme fixes that completely since sprint/jump is on X and sliding into cover is on A. My brain is so conditioned to use A at this point that I think it will take a long time to adjust. I also wanted to get better at wall bouncing in MP and alternate seems like the better option. I don't like how you have to switch from A to X very quickly to sprint out of cover though. Biggest downside for me

2San

Does anybody here play with the alternate control scheme? I have played with the default scheme for years but tried alternate last night and I am having a hard time adjusting. I wanted to make the switch because I was tired of jumping when I wanted to take cover. Alternate control scheme fixes that completely since sprint/jump is on X and sliding into cover is on A. My brain is so conditioned to use A at this point that I think it will take a long time to adjust. I also wanted to get better at wall bouncing in MP and alternate seems like the better option. I don't like how you have to switch from A to X very quickly to sprint out of cover though. Biggest downside for me
I don't, but Arctic(ex-competitve gears player) said it took a month for him to adjust(to get to the same level). Seems way too much effort for something, I'm just playing for fun. I don't even roll that much tbh. I noticed in Gears 3 the wallslide range is smaller with alternate as well, or at least I get that feeling.

Feindflug

GOW 1 > GOW J > the other ones. GOW J is more replayable tho. I am fucking loving this on solo insane, but its more mayhem, where Gears 1 was more tactical aggro.

I have a gnasher at the ready.

That's what this game *is*. Revel in it.

Its pure combat mechanics with very little fluff. The mainline Gears games exist for story and character and world building. This is pure dynamic combat with a ton of variety to the scenarios. I can't get enough.

I must say I'm really glad PCF added the declassified missions and the dynamic spawns, the game actually feels fresh...Judgment is clearly a game focused on teamplay/co-op and replayability and I really like that.

If the game was another Gears 3 it would've been really disappointing IMO, of course then people would complain about the game being too similar to the previous games...but as I see it changing the formula on an established series even if it doesn't turn out successful (which here did IMO) is necessary these days, a lot of (great) series are getting really stale and I'd rather play something that at least tries to do something new even if it has flaws than a polished to hell game that is the same game with the previous 3 or 4 titles in the franchise.

BTW the game looks and runs gorgeous, the art direction is amazing with a Gears 1 feel and the amount of enemies on screen at times is really impressive.

smik

Plenty of good Gears 2 maps, people have missed because the game was broken. :O

So true, some Gears 2 maps could work really well for GOWJ execution mode, but with the new gameplay mechanics it could break some maps

River , Pavilion, Avalanche and Nowhere could work well in a Execution mode setting, would have been sublime to get these dlc'd for GOW3

GolazoDan

Dunno if this is a general thing or a store exclusive, but at Tesco they included a code for a free download of Gears 1. I already have Gears 1 so if anyone wants it, PM me.

EDIT: Gone!

Kydd BlaZe

Finally beat the campaign. This game will probably never go back into my disc tray again.

I also have a Gears of War 1 code if anyone wants it. Just hit me with a PM if interested. Want to give it away before I inevitably trade Judgment in.

Killer

Banned
Dunno if this is a general thing or a store exclusive, but at Tesco they included a code for a free download of Gears 1. I already have Gears 1 so if anyone wants it, PM me.

Every copy comes with gow1 code.

I don't understand the hate for this game. It's really fun well made game. Little tweaks here and there. I hope the population don't drop it.

madmackem

Ermmmm just played overrun, someone on the locust started 20 seconds before everyone else and already had the ehole half way down before we even spawned, glitches already?.

Top Bottom