• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

I really need to get back into Arkham Horror LCG. :( Haven't touched it in months. Yet I still buy every new pack. (Got a nice order on hold at Minature Market.)

Hey guys.

Could you give me some input on your thoughts on this kickstarter?

Rayguns and Rocketships

It ends in 7 hours. There's not very much talk around the game other than the typical positive kickstarter chatter.

On the surface this seems like a game I could be interested. I generally like the style, though I'm not in love with the art design, though I do like it. I wish there were more preview videos by reputable reviewers and whatnot.

What do you guys think? It's a bit pricey for what it is, isn't it? I can't tell. I've had a lot on my mind lately and rather busy, and haven't really been able to digest how exactly this game will feel when played. The videos I have seen didn't turn me off, but didn't really thrill me either, though I suspect I might dig it....

I've got an early bird pledge in but might pull it. I just received Dark Souls and I'm not crazy about that.. Need to be a little more thoughtful about my pledges.

Hey guys.

Could you give me some input on your thoughts on this kickstarter?

Rayguns and Rocketships

It ends in 7 hours. There's not very much talk around the game other than the typical positive kickstarter chatter.

On the surface this seems like a game I could be interested. I generally like the style, though I'm not in love with the art design, though I do like it. I wish there were more preview videos by reputable reviewers and whatnot.

What do you guys think? It's a bit pricey for what it is, isn't it? I can't tell. I've had a lot on my mind lately and rather busy, and haven't really been able to digest how exactly this game will feel when played. The videos I have seen didn't turn me off, but didn't really thrill me either, though I suspect I might dig it....

I've got an early bird pledge in but might pull it. I just received Dark Souls and I'm not crazy about that.. Need to be a little more thoughtful about my pledges.
I am aso on an early bird pledge and will probably let it ride. While their components tend to be decent to good quality, IDW games tend to be kind of hit or miss with me rules wise. TMNT Shadows of the Past is a little more shallow than I was expecting, but is still fun enough for a toss away. That said, this game looks like it might scratch my "space battle" itch fairly well.

I dunno, I have a huge backlog of games to try and I barely get to play the games I do own, but I will probably get it anyway. Then again, I might have a kickstarter problem.

Karkador

Banned
LoTR to me creates a weird meta situation that is almost like playing magic or something. I spent a lot of time building decks and hitting my head against certain quests and stuff. It was really fun for that.

I have LOTR coming this week and I'm really looking forward to this.

Gurrry

Ammo Belt + second chance is stupid broken

Played against this last night and even though I won, it was a struggle to get through. Luckily he didnt ammo belt me twice or I wouldve milled out. But yeah, second chance was already stupid enough, now its getting a buff.

I really love the new SOR cards and think its really going to make the game more interesting now, having said that, some of the balance decisions FFG made are a little baffling.

XShagrath

Arkham Horror LCG is everything I wanted out of LOTR. I invested heavily in LOTR for a few years and enjoyed it to some degree, but absolutely hated building decks specifically to beat a scenario. I play a lot of games, and didn't have time to run a scenario blind, get creamed, and then completely build a new deck knowing how the quest is set up. I finally dropped the game, realizing it was never going to be something I really enjoyed to the fullest potential. I still have a ton of quests that I've never even played.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
omfg. I took my poe maz deck against ePalp.... lost both.. and I mean it wasn't even close.. now granted I got fucked on Fast Hands both times (never had it out the second game, and the first game only had the one out after round 2 or 3).. but man.. I mean I had late fast hands in a game yesterday, but it is NEVER as punishing as it is against palp.

first, he put out dark presence action 1 both games.. and had both dark presences out by round 2 in the first game. now I have sabotage to take care of that.. but it still slows down having to spend an action to remove it. I did remove one of them the first game, but the second continued to fuck me. the second game I removed it pretty quickly.

next, palp hardly has to reroll anything. resolve for a resource? no problem. resolve for damage? no problem. resolve for shields? NO PROBLEM. omfg.

funny enough, it was MY EPALP DECK!!! sigh.. so we'll switch decks tomorrow and he'll poe maz and I'll palp.

of course he'll probably open his hand with fast hands x2, maz's goggles, and falconx2 :p

the second game actually wasn't bad.. until after dropping 9 damage on him his second premonitions came up for a rise again giving him TWO force lightnings. omfg.

also just signed up for the US Nationals at NOVA Open. I really wanted to go to Gen Con (and still might).. but buddies were a little hesitant on being late to book rooms.. so went for NOVA instead. The upside to Gen Con is FFG will have Five Rings there for pre-release which I am REALLY interested in.

Ryuukan

so I went back to the shop because I'm apparently missing the miskatonic museum pack and...so are they.

but I did get the new unseen pack while I was there

Cerity

Finally completed the first scenario of eldritch horror (azathoth) and can't help feeling that the base game is... missing something. You spend ages solving a single mystery yet there isn't any feeling of accomplishment. When you actually do solve the mystery it's less of 'YEAH WE FINALLY DID IT' and more of '... what do we have to do next?'.

Do any of the expansions address that? I see forsaken lore being thrown around a lot as a nearly essential expansion.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Finally completed the first scenario of eldritch horror (azathoth) and can't help feeling that the base game is... missing something. You spend ages solving a single mystery yet there isn't any feeling of accomplishment. When you actually do solve the mystery it's less of 'YEAH WE FINALLY DID IT' and more of '... what do we have to do next?'.

Do any of the expansions address that? I see forsaken lore being thrown around a lot as a nearly essential expansion.
Forsaken Lore adds Focus (great mechanic to stop wasting actions) and gives you a bunch more Encounter cards. But what you described is exactly what Eldritch is -- so if you don't enjoy the core gameplay and little individual encounters you probably won't like the game regardless of expansions. Probably should play LCG instead.

shas'la

Hey guys, does anyone have any experience in teach VAST to a group of newbies? I want to make it as painless as possible and not to have the game drag on for 2 hours.

Is really the best way to hand everyone their character cheat sheet and be like "read this"?

Hi, Yes. Popular games like Avalon include variants of werewolf, spyfall, two rooms and a boom, a fake artist goes to new york, mysterium ... it really branches out into hundreds of more games depending on why you exactly liked Avalon.

Just don't buy Quadropolis, it sucks.
I like Avalon because it reminds me so much of Mafia. I am really looking into One Night Ultimate Werewolf and Ultimate Werewolf but I'm not sure how the folks I play with would receive it, since they all love Avalon so much already. I'll check out the other games you've listed. Thanks!

Deception, Good Cop Bad Cop, and Secret Hitler all fit the bill.
I've been meaning to check out Secret Hitler for so long now, I'll check out the other two games you've mentioned. Thanks!

Been playing The Big Book of Madness solo with two characters. Woof. I like it but each decision is pretty weighty and I'm only on easy mode.

Kawl_USC

Arkham LCG really is dope. Picked up a second copy of the core set with a 3rd friend in town and managed to fully succeed on the Midnight Masks scenario after drawing the Ezio token for the final doom to advance past midnight, when our Skids player realized he was able to eke out the final action we needed thanks to his passive that hadn't been utilized much due to having Leo and some other heavy cost assets on the board early.

What an experience. Pulling the cthulu token on back to back pulls when up 2 on a combat contest is just soul crushing I swear.

Think me and my friend will wrap up the 3rd part of the core set before taking some time to look at deck options. Feel that Roland/Wendy starters are far from optimal.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Arkham LCG really is dope. Picked up a second copy of the core set with a 3rd friend in town and managed to fully succeed on the Midnight Masks scenario after drawing the Ezio token for the final doom to advance past midnight, when our Skids player realized he was able to eke out the final action we needed thanks to his passive that hadn't been utilized much due to having Leo and some other heavy cost assets on the board early.

What an experience. Pulling the cthulu token on back to back pulls when up 2 on a combat contest is just soul crushing I swear.

Think me and my friend will wrap up the 3rd part of the core set before taking some time to look at deck options. Feel that Roland/Wendy starters are far from optimal.
Dude we just did the third scenario in base and we're about to get the best resolution but somehow drew two tentacles on otherwise unlosable checks hahaha...so wound up one sanity short of being able to clear it. Arkham baby! Looking forward to getting back to the Dunwich campaign on Thursday too. Jenny was a ton of fun but I miss my boy Roland. :D

borghe

So Book (one of my favorite deckbuilders) put up a Poe Snap control deck. Looks interesting. The goal is to use Wingman for action economy, starve your opponent for money, then get some damage out and claim with Planetary Uprising. Because it's mid-range control it seems to be intent on a few things. Dice removal, starving money for upgrades, going first through claiming, using Carbon Freezing Chamber to limit threat (especially helpful against ePalp decks that aren't resource starved), and still have economy left for U-Wing and upgrades. Especially nice as overall I view U-Wing as a better Falcon. You lose 1 damage but have no conditionally bad sides of which Falcon has two imho.

Will be curious to try it out to veer away from the typical aggro that has seemed to burst out of this expansion.

Also debating at putting together an actual Destiny OT. I think the talk in here is perfectly fine and it is mostly a reasonable place for it to be. Just wondering if we can open the game up to more players on GAF who otherwise wouldn't normally check in this thread. Especially now with product (at least SoR and starters) being reasonably available. I'm also encouraged by how they've been handling SoR that the Awakenings reprint should also fix the availability problems for that set. I'm not convinced that the distribution problems we've "heard about" for SoR aren't mostly occurring at the store ordering level. For every store I've heard get "screwed over" I swear you hear 2-3 more "screwed" stores finally admit that they bungled orders, either from only going through FFG Direct (who limited everyone equally) to just getting their orders in late or not at all. Even my local stores aren't exempt from being called out. I finally got into it a little bit with one owner who was lamenting that "there's just no product!!" but he had said a week or two earlier that in the process of transitioning owners, the old owner hadn't ordered anything for like a month. So I asked "did anyone even order SoR when it was initially offered?" and he said the previous owner did which I then pointed out "but you said a couple weeks back that he hadn't placed any new orders for over a month" at which point he kind of stumbled over himself saying he was trying to catch up now that he was the owner.

Similarly I know another Store who DID order and get plenty of SoR, oops but forgot to order season 2 kits and missed the deadline for Store Championships (...). So whereas we had 4 Store Champs locally last year for X-Wing, this year we only have two each for X-Wing and Destiny. Fortunately the one store still having Store Champs also was approved already for Regionals for Destiny as well and shows up on FFG's Regional page. Though it looks like they aren't doing X-Wing Regionals again this year (first time in 4 years, but the reason from last year is a whole post unto itself)

Kawl_USC

I'd be somewhat interested in a dedicated thread. All the talk about it is intriguing but I admit to being confused about the specific mechanics. Been debating getting into it if there's a scene in Houston.

borghe

k, will put together an OP. Up for title suggestions.. thinking something having to do with "I've got a bad feeling about this" or "Never tell me the odds" would be ridiculously appropriate..

maybe "I've got a bad feeling about this (reroll)"

Palmer_v1

k, will put together an OP. Up for title suggestions.. thinking something having to do with "I've got a bad feeling about this" or "Never tell me the odds" would be ridiculously appropriate..

|OT| Space Magic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

t. I always feel bad getting too much into the nitty gritty of a lifestyle game on the general thread which was why I created the Netrunner thread haha, and there seem to be a solid 5-10 active players on here so why not. :D

borghe

I am not an OT creator (never have before).. but I have one put together. If someone wants to put a banner together that would be great and I could throw it up today.

I was leaning to "I've got a bad feeling about this (reroll)" but I love the suggestion of Space Magic. Anyone want to weigh in? As soon as I can get a banner I'll put it up.

Neverfade

Speaking of Destiny, I decided I just don't have time to keep up, especially after being luke warm on it. If anyone wants an in, I'm auctioning my set over at BGG. Currently at 206 which is still probably cheaper than going in on two starters and two display boxes (what you'd be getting), and certainly cheaper than even what CSI would give me if I took the time to sell piecemeal to them.

Is this shameless plug allowed? Oh well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any Descent players want to help me figure this out? I have no idea how to activate the minions here. The ? is a tentacle and it blocks LOS.

My thought was that they do nothing, but I'm not 100% sure, so I figured it was worth asking!

9tHTIDZl.jpg

Looks like you have it correct.

Option 1: Goblins engage the master goblin. They are already engaged, so skip.
Option 2: Attack the closest hero. Judging from the pic, I doubt they have LOS to anything, so they can't do this either. So skip.
Option 3: Engage the closest master monster. See option 1, so skip again.

Unless they have LOS to a hero, they have done all they are going to do.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Looks like you have it correct.

Option 1: Goblins engage the master goblin. They are already engaged, so skip.
Option 2: Attack the closest hero. Judging from the pic, I doubt they have LOS to anything, so they can't do this either. So skip.
Option 3: Engage the closest master monster. See option 1, so skip again.

Unless they have LOS to a hero, they have done all they are going to do.

OK - this is what I thought. I know that monsters can move through one another, so I thought that maybe one of the minions would move to the other side of the master to attempt to make LOS, but engage just means use movement points to obtain adjacency. Seeing as each minion is already adjacent, there's no way for them to move. And really (assuming no additional master monsters spawn), until either the tentacle is defeated, the master is defeated, or the heroes go adjacent to the master, the minions are going to stay put and waste their turn, right?

Also, am I reading it right that the master goblin can just attack no matter LOS? Walls, obstacles, etc don't matter? Just have to hit range?

Karkador

Banned
Played my first game of LOTR LCG, Passage through Mirkwood. I chose the Spirit deck, more or less at random (I don't really understand the nuances between them yet).

The game went smoothly for the most part, dare I say it felt easy (I played the easiest quest in the box). Eowyn with a special attachment plus her ability could reliably pump out 6 willpower for the quest each turn - but I actually lost near the end, pretty much by attrition.. The last card specifies that you can't finish if a certain big bad spider is active - sure enough, that spider appeared soon after, and my allies and heroes started falling. Once you lose one hero, it turns out you lose a pretty big foothold in the resources game...so I started sliding back just enough to realize there was no winning it.

Having played Warhammer ACG, a much newer game, I felt like LOTR was something similar to that - putting tokens on location cards while fending off enemies who come lurking in from the shadows. You could make the case that it derived some things from LOTR. However, while WACG is pretty damn swift and brutal in it's diffculty, I felt like LOTR had a much nicer, much more manageable pace to it...at least, for this quest.

Really excited to try again 2P, and start considering deck options.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I can't remember for sure, but I seem to remember there being a few times in my days with LOTR LCG that one or two bad things happened and it became completely unwinnable. It had something to due with locations getting just out of control and me having absolutely zero way of dealing with it. I was against two handing the game (not my cup of tea), so I missed out on a lot. But having that option would really open up some fantastic synergy.

Also, the more I play Road to Legend, the more I like it. If FFG opens up the Quest Vault to the app...Holy shit. HOLY SHIT.

Ohnonono

Played my first game of LOTR LCG, Passage through Mirkwood. I chose the Spirit deck, more or less at random (I don't really understand the nuances between them yet).

The game went smoothly for the most part, dare I say it felt easy (I played the easiest quest in the box). Eowyn with a special attachment plus her ability could reliably pump out 6 willpower for the quest each turn - but I actually lost near the end, pretty much by attrition.. The last card specifies that you can't finish if a certain big bad spider is active - sure enough, that spider appeared soon after, and my allies and heroes started falling. Once you lose one hero, it turns out you lose a pretty big foothold in the resources game...so I started sliding back just enough to realize there was no winning it.

Having played Warhammer ACG, a much newer game, I felt like LOTR was something similar to that - putting tokens on location cards while fending off enemies who come lurking in from the shadows. You could make the case that it derived some things from LOTR. However, while WACG is pretty damn swift and brutal in it's diffculty, I felt like LOTR had a much nicer, much more manageable pace to it...at least, for this quest.

Really excited to try again 2P, and start considering deck options.
Some quests are easier than others for sure. Some are absolutely brutal, and make you go back to the cardpool and strategize.

Karkador

Banned
Yeah I can see how an unlucky draw in LOTR can screw you over, but so far it seems like there are at least an ample amount of opportunities to react. Deck composition is one thing - it's how you use it, too.

The base game's Spirit deck has cards that basically revive fallen allies and heroes. I didn't use them, just bad planning. I thought of bringing Gandalf out to kick the big bad spider, but my timing was off. It was hard to follow up with a killing hit after he finished.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up the latest chapter pack for Arkham Horror LCG today. Still need to do the previous one as well. I keep on toying with un-sleeving my cards. With sleeves I find when shuffling they often get stuck together.

Also picked up an extra dice pack for Mansions of Madness, which will come in handy. So close to painting all the minis and putting monsters on clear bases. Gonna be great when it's done.

Also, the more I play Road to Legend, the more I like it. If FFG opens up the Quest Vault to the app...Holy shit. HOLY SHIT.
I'm not a super competitive person, so Road to Legend has been my preferred Descent method since it's launch.

I just need FFG to hurry up with the Imperial Assault version so I can also get my Star Wars fix.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone here played One Deck Dungeon? Interested in a lighter solo game and saw that the expansion has a Kickstarter.

It's OK. It's not the second coming like some solo players will say. It's got some light strategi decisions, but it's ultimately a roll and pray experience.

It's OK. It's not the second coming like some solo players will say. It's got some light strategi decisions, but it's ultimately a roll and pray experience.
Damn. Watching a video and it has some neat mechanics.

Any better solo focused games like it? By that I mean similar themes and/or mechanics and lighter weight.

I just got out of playing a game of 4 player Star Realms (a space combat deckbuilder) that took longer than the group that was playing Terraforming Mars right next to us, and about as long as another group that was playing Battlestar Galactica, on a night that I had a soft timelimit. Although the game has elimination, it was my copy (suggested by me because I didn't think it would take that long) so I had to be there until the end.

I tend to be a slow player, and this was probably the first time ever I was the quickest person with making their moves. One person was taking a long time reading over and deciding onthe cards in the lineup and just general rules clarifications, and another was taking a long time with their decision making. Only the 3rd was moving pretty quickly, since she also had to go for an early wakeup the next day.

It was...interesting being on the other side of the table (ie being the fast person waiting on the slow people instead of reverse). I'm usually a patient player, which likely is part of why I tend to be a slowpoke with my own turns. The need to hurry along is just not something I can normally muster if I don't have a time limit that's being threatened. This time while I was never exactly mad, I eventually tried to push the other two players to move forward, especially the guy that I've played games with frequently. I'll try to keep the experience in mind to avoid being prohibitively slow with my turns in the future.

At least I won. :p

I really don't think so, unless you plan on playing the game over 60 times and wanting to start over. Even then, you could easily just mark the map tiles with a pen the second time around or use card sleeves for the card stickers.

For me it's more if I play a small chunk of it single player to get a feel for it while I live by myself in CT before I can move back to FL where my group who would play with me are (finishing school).

Top Bottom