• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Star wars Battlefront 2 Pro vs 1X vs PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
https://youtu.be/BE72jzVHph8

• Both consoles operate at a dynamic resolution.
  • PS4 Pro tops out at 1440p.
  • One X resolution tops out at 2160p (4K).
    In general, Xbox One X has a massive image quality boost over PS4 Pro.
  • Performance is a stable 60fps across both consoles, with the Pro achieving that target more often.

mad597

Banned
Wow massive difference on consoles in favor of the X, I feel sorry for Pro owners who shelled out $400 for a half assed console expecting it to hold up the rest of the gen.

geordiemp

Wow massive difference on consoles in favor of the X, I feel sorry for Pro owners who shelled out $400 for a half assed console expecting it to hold up the rest of the gen.

I am a pro owner, I figured I would buy my last Jaguar console in 2016 and it would see me through until we get a decent Ryzen console.

I have had over a year out of Pro, one more and I can ditch it for good hopefully.

X looks OK but too late, not paying for a year of X to be replaced, it still has the same absolutely shit CPU.

Nothing to be sorry about really, both Pro and X are half arsed, one was a year earlier.

Three

You feel sorry for them, really? they get a better framerate.

Outrun

I am a pro owner, I figured I would buy my last Jaguar console in 2016 and it would see me through until we get a decent Ryzen console.

I have had over a year out of Pro, one more and I can ditch it for good hopefully.

X looks OK but too late, not paying for a year of X to be replaced.

Nothing to be sorry about really, both Pro and X are half arsed, one was a year earlier.

Where is this information on the new consoles?

Regardless. You are right. Nothing to be remorseful about in purchasing a Pro.

Dynomutt

Why? Completely happpy with the product. I didn't buy it to play multi-plats solely. Definitely can't play HZD on the X so I'm good.

Do people feel sorry for owners of older car models when a new one comes out as well? The product works and work fine just not as powerful as the X.

It's vidya games not the end of the world.

geordiemp

Where is this information on the new consoles?

Regardless. You are right. Nothing to be remorseful about in purchasing a Pro.

http://techreport.com/review/32743/amd-ryzen-7-2700u-and-ryzen-5-2500u-apus-revealed

The Ryzen APU's have been revealed already for laptops etc, how long before we get a ps5 / xb2 do you think ?

2019 is my bet, the APU's already exist in design, just need to wait for 7 / 10 nm.

Ryzen APU's will crush current consoles on frame rate or AI, its not even a contest.

munroe

I predict that we won't get our hands on a new generation console until 2020 or late 2019 and won't see anything about it until 2019 E3

Both consoles should do fine in the next 2/3 years

All of these new junior members spouting rubbish, I'm an owner of the One X but this is just embarrassing.

This is so silly.

My games library on my Pro dominates my Xbone library.

Yeah, I’m switching to multiplats with the X, but my Pro is still awesome and most used platform even with a 1070ti PC in my house.

We gotta stop the fanboy war comments like this

Dave and Tom have been putting in work lately with all this X1X and Pro coverage. They're both getting better with their analyses and sounding better and more confident in their work, imo. Which is good because there's too much stuff for just John to cover. And if it means John gets to work on more passion projects, well, that's only a good thing in my opinion.

Aintitcool

Banned
I hope sony gets pressure from this. They are just being factual about the differences. Sony needs to up their software. Direct X is killing it.

Gitaroo

http://techreport.com/review/32743/amd-ryzen-7-2700u-and-ryzen-5-2500u-apus-revealed

The Ryzen APU's have been revealed already for laptops etc, how long before we get a ps5 / xb2 do you think ?

2019 is my bet, the APU's already exist in design, just need to wait for 7 / 10 nm.

Ryzen APU's will crush current consoles on frame rate or AI, its not even a contest.

I remember seeing it posted multiple times that Jaguar is not as weak as people thought in comparison to Ryzen. Ryzen was like 1.8x better in clock to clock comparison or some very low number.

mad597

Banned
You feel sorry for them, really? they get a better framerate.

I wouldn't call going from 58-60 at times as much of a difference as nearly double pixel rendering and additional IQ effects. They even said the X doesn't dip enough in gameplay to even notice.

Pro seems to be a 1440P box at best and in this game at least drops even below that with lower IQ settings.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Glad I waited on the X over the Pro, but man, I wish these devs would stop with this 4k BS. Just aim for 4k and the drop settings until you hit 60FPS locked or 30FPS locked. Is that really so hard?

I'm likely going to eat my own words in a few years, but I would be really happy if the next consoles stayed at 4k and didn't go any higher. I've got perfect vision and work with game assets daily, but at the distance I sit away from a 65", I can't see myself ever needing more, at least for a long time.

Think about how people who bought an Xbox One with Kinect for $500 feel.

welshrat

This is so silly.

My games library on my Pro dominates my Xbone library.

Yeah, I’m switching to multiplats with the X, but my Pro is still awesome and most used platform even with a 1070ti PC in my house.

We gotta stop the fanboy war comments like this
Exactly my position. Love my new X but the pro is a great console. The X will be my console of choice for multi as well now but honestly having played titanfall 2 last night on my pro the difference between 1440p and above is really not that obvious, at least not in my 65 inch tv

ReBurn

Gold Member
I bought the X for this game because I wanted the best experience I could get while playing in my living room. Although it looks great I haven't been able to bring myself to buy the game due to the controversy around it. Going forward, though, I can see X being my main console if the games keep performing so well.

mad597

Banned
Glad I waited on the X over the Pro, but man, I wish these devs would stop with this 4k BS. Just aim for 4k and the drop settings until you hit 60FPS locked or 30FPS locked. Is that really so hard?

I'm likely going to eat my own words in a few years, but I would be really happy if the next consoles stayed at 4k and didn't go any higher. I've got perfect vision and work with game assets daily, but at the distance I sit away from a 65", I can't see myself ever needing more, at least for a long time.

Game already uses Dynamic res and only dips to around 58FPS occasionally while rendering near 4K at all times. A very worthwhile trade off.

1-2 FPS dip when you are at 60FPS is not going to be noticeable, this is not like a constant frame pacing issue or anything

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Game already uses Dynamic res and only dips to around 58FPS occasionally while rendering near 4K at all times. A very worthwhile trade off.

1-2 FPS dip when you are at 60FPS is not going to be noticeable, this is not like a constant frame pacing issue or anything

Oh, its 1-2fps? With all the commotion I thought it was more... Silly then. Move along, move along.

Space_nut

Xbox One X significantly better over pro :)

-4k res with 1800p lowest (pro tops at 1440p but spends much time at 1296p)
-use pc highest textures over pro
-better shadow rendering
-higher reflection res over pro

Delicious

Three

I wouldn't call going from 58-60 at times as much of a difference as nearly double pixel rendering and additional IQ effects. They even said the X doesn't dip enough in gameplay to even notice.

Pro seems to be a 1440P box at best and in this game at least drops even below that with lower IQ settings.

Look at the difference in the double pixel rendering too. It's almost just as unnoticeable, in the vid. Nothing to 'feel sorry' for.

Look at the difference in the double pixel rendering too. It's almost just as unnoticeable, in the vid. Nothing to 'feel sorry' for.

Truth. People don’t understand diminishing returns

Xbox One X significantly better over pro :)

-4k res with 1800p lowest (pro tops at 1440p but spends much time at 1296p)
-use pc highest textures over pro
-better shadow rendering
-higher reflection res over pro

Delicious

It is an impressive performance but people like you still seem to be surprised despite X being 100 dollars more and a year later

It’s doing what it’s suppossed to do

Think about how people who bought an Xbox One with Kinect for $500 feel.
We feel Great! All our games we bought in our ecosystem get enhanced or are greatly boosted on the X! We feel we made the right decisions all along! Thanks Microsoft! Oh yeah, and XBOX ONE X is a Monster!!!

mad597

Banned
Oh, its 1-2fps? With all the commotion I thought it was more... Silly then. Move along, move along.

Yes the dips people are freaking out about are literally dips to 58FPS every once in a blue moon. The DF guys even says this is not noticeable in normal gameplay

mad597

Banned

Uhh huh keep telling your self that, IQ/Res boost is a massive leap that can be noticed all the time a dip of 2FPS cannot be noticed. DF specifically points this out several times in the video

geordiemp

I remember seeing it posted multiple times that Jaguar is not as weak as people thought in comparison to Ryzen. Ryzen was like 1.8x better in clock to clock comparison or some very low number.

Your right, IPC something like 1.7 or 1.8 x .That is not low. its 80 % faster at same clock.

Ryzen at 3.5 Ghz, 1.5 x faster, then you have 2.5 x = Clock x IPC.

All we need is above 2 x and 60 FPS gaming on 30 FPS games with bandwidth and GPU grunt matching.

Jaguar is crap.

Space_nut

Truth. People don’t understand diminishing returns

It is an impressive performance but people like you still seem to be surprised despite X being 100 dollars more and a year later

It’s doing what it’s suppossed to do

Lmao not when people were screaming it won't be any better than pro and the "40%" in power wouldn't allow this. Clearly every AAA game has shown up to DOUBLE the performance over pro. Allowing 4k games with enhanced graphics :)

Your right, IPC something like 1.7 or 1.8 x .That is not low. its 80 % faster at same clock.

All we need is above 2 x and 60 FPS gaming on 30 FPS games with bandwidth and GPU grunt matching.

Clock speed is not the end all, be all, of CPU power

The difference between an i5 and i7 both at 3.2ghz is staggering.

The Jaguar is an awful CPU and Ryzen is miles ahead

Please educate yourself

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I wonder if all the ppl going on about the seconds of gameplay the pro has a 1-2 framerate advantage are now in agreement that in games where the original XB1 had a Frame rate advantage over the PS4, the XB1 had the superior version.

JP

Decent enhancements again for both, always good to see.

As I'm sure we're all expecting now the X enhancements are indeed a step ahead of the Pro but perhaps a little less impressive than the Pro improvements when you take into consideration that the Pro hardware launched over a year earlier and at a lower price.

I would hope/expect the gap to increase far more between the two in third party games as we move forwards even if first party games will likely still be more impressive on the Pro.

It's difficult not to be happy with the game on this level irrelevant of which platform you choose to play it on.

Jaguar is crap.

Doesn't really matter though on consoles regardless of the specs. 60fps isn't something most devs will ever prioritize. You have to take the situation in your own hands by investing in PC gaming. Buying an Xbox One X doesn't guarantee you a certain level of performance. Just like the Pro some games won't be patched while others the devs will put in the minimum effort. It's a nice system but for every great effort like Battlefront 2, you'll see an equally lackluster effort.

mad597

Banned
Truth. People don't understand diminishing returns

It's doing what it's suppossed to do

People only bring up "diminishing returns" now that the Sony has the weaker console. It is pretty obvious the X has much better IQ, not even in just Pixel count but other graphical effects. If your "diminishing returns" make you feel better at night you can just keep deluding yourself.

People playing down the difference now were hailing 900P VS 1080P as a defining moment in gaming in favor of Sony and counting blades of grass in GTA pushing grass gate. So convenient only now we have "diminishing returns" at a time where Sony clearly has the weaker console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom