• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo and Target team up for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe marketing:

I think the point is that Nintendo is getting overpraised for ports and remasters after Sony and MS got shit on for it, probably by some of the "Nintendo-praisers" in this very thread.

"Overpraised"? This is one game which qualifies as a remaster or enhanced port.

If half of their first party schedule was ports and remasters you might have a legitimate complaint, but this is just one game. This is not something Nintendo does any more often than anyone else (possibly even less often).

EDIT: Oops top of page, sorry to feed the derail.

So who wants to go race carts in a Target? The one near me sells groceries too, so we can throw banana peels at least. Not sure if they sell turtles.

How does Nintendo get away with repeating the same games time and time again. Props to them for having people buy the same stuff over and over again
Talent and special treatment for being iconic and legendary.

You are absolutely right. Not everybody has that. The others are not Nintendo.

MTC100

Banned

If half of their first party schedule was ports and remasters you might have a legitimate complaint, but this is just one game. This is not something Nintendo does any more often than anyone else (possibly even less often).

Nintendo would be very smart to port over some other WiiU Games and give them the 1080p treatment. On one hand it's a blessing the WiiU sold so badly, most of the games will be "new" for the Switch audience anyway.

TS-08

I think the point is that Nintendo is getting overpraised for ports and remasters after Sony and MS got shit on for it, probably by some of the "Nintendo-praisers" in this very thread.

The Last of Us is one of the highest rated games for the PS4, and probably one of its best selling. So what exactly are you referring to?

Acerac

Banned

Yeah I remember all the shit they got for TLoU remastered.

Wait, no. No I don't remember that being a thing at all.

Instro

I dont think thats true for the most part. There's probably a bit of extra praise being tossed in because the WiiU was not attractive hardware, but generally speaking I don't really recall Sony or MS getting shit for remastering games.

MTC100

Banned
Is it just me, or is MK8D getting more fanfare than MK8?

Has NeoGAF discussed the possibility of Deluxe outselling the original yet?

At this point I wouldn't be too surprised if it even surpassed Mario Kart Wii, simply because you can play a full scale Mario Kart on the go too now -but perhaps we'd need a real Switch only Mario Kart for that, time will tell.

At this point I wouldn't be too surprised if it even surpassed Mario Kart Wii, simply because you can play a full scale Mario Kart on the go too now -but perhaps we'd need a real Switch only Mario Kart for that, time will tell.

If Deluxe sell over 36 million copies, we're looking at the next Wii-level success with Switch.

Do you know what you're saying? If MK8DX sells 35 million then the Switch will probably sell 100+ million.

Don't get why this games getting heat for being a remaster. A lot of people didn't own a Wii U.

Most of the Wii U library deserves more love. Id love for more people to get the chance to play bayo 2, W101, Mario Maker, DKCR:TF etc. Padding out first party offerings with Wii U up-ports wouldn't be so bad imho.

Don't get why this games getting heat for being a remaster. A lot of people didn't own a Wii U.

Most of the Wii U library deserves more love. Id love for more people to get the chance to play bayo 2, W101, Mario Maker, DKCR:TF etc. Padding out first party offerings with Wii U up-ports wouldn't be so bad imho.

Not to get too off topic, but I was genuinely surprised to see so many "new" games announced for Switch's first year. I thought it'd be Wii-U port city with Zelda and Mario being the "big" titles for the year.

I wonder if the rumored Smash port will get this big of a push?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I mean Nintendo was desperate with mk8. They were giving out free games, good games with a purchase of mk8. This just seems like yeah we know we're the shit marketing.

Cuburt

Hopefully Nintendo is able to get out Switch consoles to match the marketing push.

It would be a bummer for people to be hyped for MK8D and many not be able to get the system.

There's no way in hell this is selling 37 million copies, unless they eventually bundle it with literally every Switch like they basically did with MK Wii in the end.
I mean Nintendo was desperate with mk8. They were giving out free games, good games with a purchase of mk8. This just seems like yeah we know we're the shit marketing.
I got MK8 for $48 at launch because of Fry's Electronics deal that Best Buy price matched, and got Pikmin 3 out of it. Crazy.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

So who wants to go race carts in a Target? The one near me sells groceries too, so we can throw banana peels at least. Not sure if they sell turtles.

They might sell these koopa shell foootballs at least.

Nintendo-Super-Mario-Football----pTRU1-25014480dt.jpg

Zedark

Hopefully Nintendo is able to get out Switch consoles to match the marketing push.

It would be a bummer for people to be hyped for MK8D and many not be able to get the system.
I think they have always had the plan to ship a boatload for MK8D launch, and with the rumours of increased shipments it could be really sizeable. Not sure if they can meet all demand (hell, they haven't been able to meet demand since launch!), but they are not treating it as a non-event shipment-wise.

I think they have always had the plan to ship a boatload for MK8D launch, and with the rumours of increased shipments it could be really sizeable. Not sure if they can meet all demand (hell, they haven't been able to meet demand since launch!), but they are not treating it as a non-event shipment-wise.

Interestingly, I just noticed that Gamestop (U.S.) still has Switch bundles available that include Zelda and MK8D. They went up a day or two ago and I couldn't understand why they didn't sell out! Then I realized that they don't ship until 5/5... Wow.

TS-08

Interestingly, I just noticed that Gamestop (U.S.) still has Switch bundles available that include Zelda and MK8D. They went up a day or two ago and I couldn't understand why they didn't sell out! Then I realized that they don't ship until 5/5... Wow.

Well they're also $500.

PSFan

Well their first two big games are both ports/remaster of Wii U games. The first big new game will be Splatoon 2. I didn't say ARMS because that's a completely new IP and we're not really sure how it will be received yet.

The Last of Us is one of the highest rated games for the PS4, and probably one of its best selling. So what exactly are you referring to?

Yeah I remember all the shit they got for TLoU remastered.

Wait, no. No I don't remember that being a thing at all.

I dont think thats true for the most part. There's probably a bit of extra praise being tossed in because the WiiU was not attractive hardware, but generally speaking I don't really recall Sony or MS getting shit for remastering games.

I just remember a lot "lol ports" and "walking sim remake" posts being thrown around. And "PS4 has no games".

TS-08

Well their first two big games are both ports/remaster of Wii U games. The first big new game will be Splatoon 2. I didn't say ARMS because that's a completely new IP and we're not really sure how it will be received yet.

I just remember a lot "lol ports" and "walking sim remake" posts being thrown around. And "PS4 has no games".

I'm sure there were posts like that, but you're probably exaggerating it and I doubt they got any more than Nintendo has with the Switch.

They might sell these koopa shell foootballs at least.

Nintendo-Super-Mario-Football----pTRU1-25014480dt.jpg

Oooh maybe. That'd be a great item for them to stock up on.

This whole promotion might get me to go to Target just to experience the zaniness, this plan is totally working.

A cross-gen release is not a port. BotW is as much a port as MGSV was. The Switch first party lineup as we know it currently has a total of one port. That's basically par for the course with any new console launch. Maybe even a bit low.

To be fair the first 2 years of the PS4 and XBO were cross gen games, i.e. Ports galore.

Nintendo is fine with 1 game, especially when most people didn't even experience the Wii U.

Josh5890

This is really cool. I'm almost tempted to give Target my money for going through with this but 20% at Best Buy is too good of a bargin

Neff

New people in charge really changed Nintendo.

Switch isn't really a case of new people in charge, more a case of learning from mistakes and planning accordingly, but they definitely changed some faces around to give an impression of renewed strategy.

Acerac

Banned
A lot of PS4 bashing? That doesn't sound like the GAF I know. Given how this happened well before you registered here I have to ask if you're thinking of some other message board?

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Well it's good we're getting posts like yours so that we can even it out then so that all remasters get an equal amount of shitposts about them :)

Earlier today I only read the thread title and saw the pictures of the carts, so when I went to target today I saw the red balls outside covered as Mario and Luigi.

Well I got a pleasant surprise when I walked through the door and hear the countdown. It really put a huge smile on my face.

Great marketing by Nintendo, very clever and I saw multiple people taking pics of the props or the carts.

I didn't see this thread until now but I went to Target earlier today and was pleasantly surprised by this. I made a little video showing the sounds as you walk into the store:
https://twitter.com/hassanahmed120/status/855492595069460482

They also had Mario and Luigi themed balls outside the store:
https://twitter.com/hassanahmed120/status/855492774656978944

Pretty awesome!

Wow, that is some impressive stuff! Nintendo is killing it so far in the early goings. Let's see if they can maintain momentum over the long haul.

ZOONAMI

Awesome. Very smart marketing. Gonna sell a lot of switches at target.

Mommy, but mario kart!!!

Where do I buy this mario kart stuff?

Ponn

Banned
Is this just marketing or is there some kind of promo for getting MK8 from Target? If there isn't anything special I will stick with my 20 percent off from Amazon.

Awesome. Very smart marketing. Gonna sell a lot of switches at target.

Mommy, but mario kart!!!

Where do I buy this mario kart stuff?

HAHA, good luck to the mom just now trying to buy a Switch. Kid will be staring at that MK8 game box for awhile.

Target has come through for me for both Wii and Switch releases. They really have been my go-to store to pick up Nintendo stuff when shit's been hard to find. Very to cool to see them do a promo like this.

How does Nintendo get away with repeating the same games time and time again. Props to them for having people buy the same stuff over and over again

Damn, what a sucker I must be to pay $60 for this one, single game over and over!

Switch isn't really a case of new people in charge, more a case of learning from mistakes and planning accordingly, but they definitely changed some faces around to give an impression of renewed strategy.
Yeah. The entire plan for the switch up to this point was almost certainly made mostly while Iwata was still alive. And Iwata's death was really the only major change I believe

Neoxon

Nothing wrong at all in terms of business decision, and like I said good for them for getting sales. I personally would like new experiences like BOTW
To be fair to the Mario Kart team, they're kinda occupied with ARMS, so doing MK9 this soon was probably unlikely to begin with.

dtm808

Is it just me, or is MK8D getting more fanfare than MK8?

Has NeoGAF discussed the possibility of Deluxe outselling the original yet?

Not at the start but as it should definitely outsell the Wii U version as the year goes on and the install base grows.

That's some great marketing right there. Only issue being will there be enough Switches? With something like this you better have the console in stock

Nothing wrong at all in terms of business decision, and like I said good for them for getting sales. I personally would like new experiences like BOTW

I do get what you're saying but they released Splatoon, Mario Maker, and BoTW recently and Mario Odyssy looks great. I also would love to see Nintendo get out of their comfort zone but they're not going to just stop making Smash Bros and Mario Kart especially when people clearly want them

Top Bottom