• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Thank you for all the Nightfall runs everybody.

Thank you very much for the save.
I died twice in the final area to the stupid explosive canisters. Gave me a chuckle.

NP! Thanks for letting me jump in at the end; of course I managed to blow myself up with a Gjally rocket within moments, never fails :)

Melchiah

Remember that 0.04% thing? Yeah. We already know Bungie isn't always honest with us. What can you do other than not play the game?

That's exactly what I'm doing. I've already cleared three games from my backlog within a week. It's better to vote with your actions, than to succumb to something you don't like.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I've already cleared three games from my backlog within a week. It's better to vote with your actions, than to succumb to something you don't like.

Got to agree. I played 2 matches of pvp post patch. They can do weapon balances all day long but until they sort matchmaking so that in a lobby of 12 people there are 5 with solid red bars who top both teams it isn't fun.

I love destiny and have played loads. But at the minute I can't judge my pvp improvements because it's impossible to say if I was killed by lag or a more skill opponent due to the sheer amount of red bars I run into. Either no one in the UK plays this game or whatever skill bucket I am in has very few UK gamers and loads from the middle east and Russia.

While playing other games I've completed 7 games from my backlog since the start of Jan. That is more games than I've completed in 2 months than from Destiny's launch through to this Jan.

Melchiah

Got to agree. I played 2 matches of pvp post patch. They can do weapon balances all day long but until they sort matchmaking so that in a lobby of 12 people there are 5 with solid red bars who top both teams it isn't fun.

I love destiny and have played loads. But at the minute I can't judge my pvp improvements because it's impossible to say if I was killed by lag or a more skill opponent due to the sheer amount of red bars I run into. Either no one in the UK plays this game or whatever skill bucket I am in has very few UK gamers and loads from the middle east and Russia.

While playing other games I've completed 7 games from my backlog since the start of Jan. That is more games than I've completed in 2 months than from Destiny's launch through to this Jan.

It's easy to see the two periods in the trophy statistics, when I mostly/only played Destiny.

0wvjUrd.jpg

I've been kicking the habit after I bought the Pro, and several games from the holiday PSN sales. Only a couple of games to play and finish, until Horizon arrives.

I've also been adding Zavala's and Queen's most wanted bounties to my inventory, just in case there'll be a content update and/or light level increase at some point. Reputations are also ready to level up, if the latter were to happen. When I've maxed the bounty inventory, I won't fire up the game until there's something new to do.

EDIT: I've also hoarded 16 exotic engrams, and 13 Skeleton Keys spread across the characters, for a possible LL increase. =)

So I bought this game at launch and played a little bit of it. The last 2 weeks I decided to get back into it and I have leveled my guy up to level 40. I bought Taken King, but none of the other DLC. I was wondering if there is a best method to get an exotic primary weapon? I almost have enough strange coins to buy one from Xur but when I checked the app it said he wont be back until Friday night at 1am, and I was hoping to not wait that long.

Fathead

So I bought this game at launch and played a little bit of it. The last 2 weeks I decided to get back into it and I have leveled my guy up to level 40. I bought Taken King, but none of the other DLC. I was wondering if there is a best method to get an exotic primary weapon? I almost have enough strange coins to buy one from Xur but when I checked the app it said he wont be back until Friday night at 1am, and I was hoping to not wait that long.

There is a quest chain in the reef that will get you an exotic scout rifle.

I was wondering if there is a best method to get an exotic primary weapon?

Sources of primary exotics:
- Gunsmith rank 3 class primary exotics (do those weekly test weapons every week for a few weeks)
- Possible: three of coins on ultra-kills and crucible matches (from Xûr or Nightfall)
- Possible: Nightfall post-game
- Possible: Shaxx weekly bounty completion
- Possible: Zavala's weekly Sunrise bounty (Nightfall)
- Possible: raid chests
- Boolean Gemini exotic scout rifle from Queen's Wrath rank 3 + post-TTK story quest line
- No Time To Explain exotic pulse rifle from hard-mode Paradox story mission alternate ending quest chain (requires doing Vault of Glass raid)

Boolean Gemini is probably the only one you could potentially do given that Petra has some daily bounties and the quest chain gives you rep, but I don't know if it's possible to complete before Friday morning.

Once you hit Friday, just buy three-of-coins from Xûr and/or the weapon he is selling. I have no idea if you can do the nightfall or Shaxx weekly without Rise of Iron.

Nothing you could get between now and Friday is worth using. Just an FYI.

Wait for Xur. But he doesn't always sell exotic primaries. And exotic primary engrams are probably the rarest drop.

Thinking of getting this on PS4, currently on sale

Had some questions. Don't know much about the game. I've seen it compared to Diablo. Does that mean it's open world/hub based? Is it all straight into combat or is there exploration, dialogue, etc.? Is it fun to play solo? Is there a story/campaign?

Only similar games I've played are The Division and a little bit of Diablo 3, so don't have much frame of reference here.

Melchiah

And exotic primary engrams are probably the rarest drop.

They definitely are, among exotic boots. I've collected 16 exotic engrams, and 6 of them are heavy weapons, 5 are helmets, 2 are special weapons and gauntlets, and 1 is a chestpiece.

Had some questions. Don't know much about the game. I've seen it compared to Diablo. Does that mean it's open world/hub based? Is it all straight into combat or is there exploration, dialogue, etc.? Is it fun to play solo? Is there a story/campaign?

Only similar games I've played are The Division and a little bit of Diablo 3, so don't have much frame of reference here.

I haven't played Diablo, so I can't comment on that, but it's perfectly enjoyable playing alone. You can do all but Nightfall strike, Challenge of Elders, and raids with matchmaking. There are six relatively open locations to do patrols (if you have all the expansions) + strikes and Prison of Elders arena on top of them. There's some exploration, little dialogue, and with The Taken King there's a pretty long campaign to play.

The combat is the meat of the game, and it's entertaining enough to keep people playing this long. Compared to something like Division, it's much more versatile and agile.

Spoo

There's a social hub (actually, a few). It's mission based, but there's a lot of variety now and plenty of missions thanks to the expansions. There are different tiers -- story-centric stuff, and then eventually dungeons you play over and over for loot. If you have enough people together, you can do the raids, which are the max level content right now.

There's some exploration on the various planets, which usually lead into the story missions. The dungeons take place there as well, usually.

There's a story, but I'll be fucked if I know what this game is about and I've put in like 1500+ hours.

It's all a bit closer to the division than Diablo, but much better imo. Also, the MP, as much shit as we'll give it, is a lot better too.

you can play the basic game solo without problem, can even get to max level and some high level gears playing solo. however if you want to get the max level gear (current max light level is 400, and you can get to 390 soloing more or less. I did it this way) you'll have to join in on PvP stuff or raids. there are sites like DestinyLFG out there that can help you with getting groups to do some of these stuff and of course you can come here.

there's a few soical hubs in game but mostly you're there to get quest, store and take out gears and that sorta things. the actual locations you fight stuff are maps on different planets, such as Earth, Mars, Venus, etc. the maps are pretty big and you can ride around most of them on a space bike also. "dungeons" are all instances and only have you and your team in it, along with all the mobs of course.

it's like Diablo in the sense that the late game is to grind for high level gears. personally I find it fun even soloing but of course it'll be best with a group. I do suggest maybe play through the main storyline solo so you can get the story and everything in your own pace.

Is it fun to play solo? Is there a story/campaign?

It is fun to play solo; it is more fun to play with friends. The narrative, writing, and voice-acting are great in parts (especially House of Wolves and the Taken King) and 'meh' otherwise. There are no dialogue options ever (and in fact your character never speaks again after the early content).

Ji66a-Man

Anyone down for WotM HM x3 with Vosik CM at 5pm PST? My usual LFG rules apply: be 390+ LL with at least 5 WotM HM clears.

1) me
2) Ruffles
3) Gutz
4) Der
5) hedera
6) unstable

Do public events drop exotics? I got all the strange coins I need to buy something on Friday but I figured I would try and get something while I wait. I downloaded the public event app on my phone but it does say anything about what each one drops so I figured it was random stuff.

Do public events drop exotics? I got all the strange coins I need to buy something on Friday but I figured I would try and get something while I wait. I downloaded the public event app on my phone but it does say anything about what each one drops so I figured it was random stuff.
No exotics but your first public event of the day has a guaranteed legendary engram. Legendary Engrams are actually a decent chance at exotic drops. The percentage is low but still pretty good.

Also consider running Prison of Elders - with your first completion (I think any level) there is a guaranteed drop of a Year One exotic. Any time you get a year One exotic its current version opens up in the Exotic kiosk.

I never get around to finding this out and it just came back to my mind again, so I figured I'll ask here.

I know you can get get the raid loots in a raid once a week, both chest and boss drops. but if I did WOTM and then go to do TTK raid, would I still get any chest or drop loot from bosses in TTK? does the restriction ally to all raids once you've done one of them or does it only apply to tthe ones you did?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

It has a very small chance to drop an exotic shard.

^ All raids have their own drops per week per character.

Arrrammis

I never get around to finding this out and it just came back to my mind again, so I figured I'll ask here.

I know you can get get the raid loots in a raid once a week, both chest and boss drops. but if I did WOTM and then go to do TTK raid, would I still get any chest or drop loot from bosses in TTK? does the restriction ally to all raids once you've done one of them or does it only apply to tthe ones you did?

You can get loot drops from each raid once per week. So you can get everything from a run of WOTM, then go and do King's Fall and get more loot from there.

Well...Could write pages on these questions :) I've played Diablo 3 up to torment 13 and grift 60ish...Plus 800 hours of destiny.

IMHO both games are fine to play solo and crunch through a relatively uninspiring story. The Diablo story has better cut scenes, but the basic story is fairly simple.

Destiny's vanilla story makes very little sense, but is tolerable. The expansion pack stories make a little more sense. Especially the last 2 Taken King and Rise of Iron.

After story missions come strikes. These are 3 player co-op and have match making. They're a little like the mini dungeons you get inside Diablo, but with boss fights at the end.
They're 10 to 15 minutes bite size Nuggets of fun.

The Raids are where Destiny shines. It's the best co-op experience you can have IMHO, probably in any game anywhere. (Rocket league or other team sport probably is up there but they're PvP teaming really).

IMHO the only thing like it in Diablo is probably the 4 man grift runs where people have min-maxed characters and use their anbilities in coordination as a team. (I've never done one but they sound like the above).

You need 6 people to work as a team, coordinate deployment of their special abilities, and take specific roles within the mission.

Destiny also has a ton of PvP stuff, player counts are tolerable, but a long way off its peak.

In summary, money wise it has tons of content for your cash, only you can decide if it's a game worthy of your time.

Edit -comparing to the division:-

The world's and stories are about as interesting in the two games. Destiny has 5 worlds that are all visually different so you get a bit more variety.

The gunplay is infinitely better in destiny.

IMHO the loot is better in destiny because the guns have names, and so it feels like they have personality. They also have unique perks. In the division you just get the same ak47 but with bigger numbers.

The divisions end game raids seem to have been a buggy mess so far but I've not played them so can't comment directly.

The division has both friendly co-op and PvP better integrated into the world, where you can see people on the map and join them directly. In Destiny it's a bit clunkier where sometimes you have to quit out of the activity for people to join.

It's been awhile since I've played as well. Bungie does certainly track unique players per day, so if you do want to 'send a message', not logging in is technically a way to do that. And If you're personally not having fun or whatever, it's a good idea to play a different game. Bungie has said so themselves.

As much as I bitch about Destiny it is a fun game to play, but only when you have content to go through. If you've done everything in game, I see no reason to come back day to day. Or even month to month. I REALLY hope D2 has more content over the course of time. Paragon has a new hero every 3 weeks, and a patch nearly every week. Maybe if Bungie actually dedicates their employees to keep their current game lively, rather than pouring nearly all their resources into the next project, we can have a game that is fun to come back to on a weekly basis too. Remember when it took like 5 months for them to address Thorn? Lol.

Top Bottom