• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

So they hired Kevin full time which is cool - it means they have someone full time to edit and do that kind of stuff which should mean more cool content.

Whos' Kevin? The name sounds familiar, has he been helping them out with stuff? Is he from IGN too?

Have you watched the Gameovergreggy show? He helps out with the camera and stuff for that. He worked at IGN and has been friends with Tim for years (since childhood).

Felicia Day (?) called him weird on one episode - he never comes on camera though.

Have you watched the Gameovergreggy show? He helps out with the camera and stuff for that. He worked at IGN and has been friends with Tim for years (since childhood).

Felicia Day (?) called him weird on one episode - he never comes on camera though.

Ahhh yeah thanks. I haven't caught as much GOG show lately (watched the first 50 eps religiously).

But now I remember him, the one that shouts out fan submitted insults at Greg.

"Greg plays Near every day" lol

Ahhh yeah thanks. I haven't caught as much GOG show lately (watched the first 50 eps religiously).

But now I remember him, the one that shouts out fan submitted insults at Greg.

"Greg plays Near every day" lol
Yeah, that's the one. I don't know if you're experiencing it, but the more content they do the more I struggle to catch up with stuff, I may need to do mp3s at some point.

Yeah, that's the one. I don't know if you're experiencing it, but the more content they do the more I struggle to catch up with stuff, I may need to do mp3s at some point.

Yeah I'm always torn with how to consume their stuff. I love the Kinda Funny Gamescast and I prefer listening to it as an MP3 when I'm driving to and from work, which sucks because iTunes is so much easier but it's a week behind. I'll probably end up sucking it up soon and downloading them via Bandcamp for $1/week.

Yeah I'm always torn with how to consume their stuff. I love the Kinda Funny Gamescast and I prefer listening to it as an MP3 when I'm driving to and from work, which sucks because iTunes is so much easier but it's a week behind. I'll probably end up sucking it up soon and downloading them via Bandcamp for $1/week.

I also wish we could use Itunes and be on the same week - I'd be happy to pay for the privilege but I don't know if that can work on the podcast app?

OT: my ID's are in the spreadsheet now and are:

PSN: Uncleniccius
Xbox Live: Uncleniccius
Steam: Uncleniccius
Nintendo Network: Uncleniccius

@notaxation 12 minutes ago

ICYMI: We're recording Colin & Greg Live during GDC at @Patreon HQ, and we're going for ~6 hours a day instead of ~1.5. Should be epic.

@notaxation 11 minutes ago

The guest list is awesome: Sid Meier, Cliffy B., Mike Bithell, Steve Gaynor, Housemarque, IntiCreates, Drinkbox, many more!

Sounds great.

Choomp

Banned
Mike Bithell (Thomas Was Alone, Volume) is an awesome dude. I highly recommend everyone follow him on Twitter. He's very candid and open about a lot of things and has a refreshingly positive attitude for the most part.

Yep, I follow him, he's one of the cooler indie devs. Cliffy B is an awesome guest too.

Here's some of the GDC guests.

Steve Gaynor (Gone Home, Tacoma)
Housemarque (Super Stardust HD, Dead Nation, Resogun, Alienation
Drinkbox (Tales From Space: About A Blob, Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack, Guacamelee!, Severed)
Inti Creates (Mighty Number 9)
David Brevik (Marvel Heroes)
Cliff Bleszinski (BossKey Studios)
Mike Bithell (Thomas Was Alone, Volume)
Sid Meier (Firaxis (Civilization))
Campo Santo (formed by Jake Rodkin and Sean Vanaman, formerly of Telltale (they were the leads on S1 of TWD)) (Firewatch)
...and more people

MattyG

Banned
I'm assuming based on some of your comments on Greg and Colin Live that you're lurking the thread occasionally until your account's approved, so I figured I'd post this here in case you missed it in your Twitter feed;

@King_Seda said:
@shinobi602 if @notaxation wants to verify his registration with me via DM I might be able to do something. no guarantees though.
Link

Seda might be able to sort you out and expidite the process. Fingers crossed!

I'm particularly excited for Sid Meier. 1: He's such a legendary developer and Civilization is an incredible series (Civ V is SOOOO good). 2: Firaxis is one of two major development studios from Maryland (the other is Bethesda/Zenimax).

Flunkie

Banned
Here's some of the GDC guests.

Steve Gaynor (Gone Home, Tacoma)
Housemarque (Super Stardust HD, Dead Nation, Resogun, Alienation
Drinkbox (Tales From Space: About A Blob, Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack, Guacamelee!, Severed)
Inti Creates (Mighty Number 9)
David Brevik (Marvel Heroes)
Cliff Bleszinski (BossKey Studios)
Mike Bithell (Thomas Was Alone, Volume)
Sid Meier (Firaxis (Civilization))
Campo Santo (formed by Jake Rodkin and Sean Vanaman, formerly of Telltale (they were the leads on S1 of TWD)) (Firewatch)
...and more people

Damn, super excited for all these, but I think mostly Campo Santo. Firewatch looks AMAZING.

sam777

I think Tim was referring to my comment a few pages back, on Mondays GameCast video regarding that they are more invested/connected to Nintendo and Playstation. Although he said fanboys.

Keep up the good work guys. Liking the topics this week.

Choomp

Banned
HE'S IN GUYS, HE'S IN. I REPEAT, PAPA BIRD MORIARTY IS IN THE BUILDING.

https://twitter.com/NeoGAF/status/570374671440310272

He was responding to a tweet I deleted about approving Colin's account. Seda seemed to be on it, so I just removed it. Of course the ONE time Malka responds to one of my tweets, I've deleted it.

Aw yeah! Welcome to GAF, dear pride!

tumblr_nhry95RdXq1qle36ko1_400.gif

MattyG

Banned
Female: 2%

18-21: 22.9%
31-40: 14.4%
Under 18: 4.5%
Over 40: 0.9%

Country
USA: 63.7%
Canada: 10.9%
UK: 10.8%
Other countries (including New Zeland, Ireland, Germany, Norway, and Mexico) 9.9%
Australia: 4.8%

Subscribes to Kinda Funny, Kinda Funny Games, or both (Patreon)
Both: 67.6%
Kinda Funny Games: 19.7%
Kinda Funny: 12.6%

Subscriber has been consuming Kinda Funny content since...
August to December 2012: 36.1%
July to December 2013: 14.8%
January to June 2013: 14.7%
January to June 2014: 12.8%
July to December 2014: 11%
Since 2015: 10.4%

Favorite Kinda Funny show
GameOverGreggy Show: 45.6%
Colin and Greg Live: 23.4%
Kinda Funny Gamescast: 12.1%
Conversation With Colin: 11%
Other: 7.9%**

Least favorite Kinda Funny show
Other: 49.3%**
Follow the Liter: 32.5%
Unboxings: 18.2%

Source of content
YouTube: 37.8%
Twitch: 32.3%
Podcasts: 24.4%
Other: 5.5%

Social media followed
Twitter: 52.1%
Facebook: 25.9%
Instagram: 16.7%
Other: 5.3%

Means of finding new Kinda Funny content
YouTube: 29.9%
Patreon: 27.9%
Twitter: 23.1%
Podcast Service: 8.7%
Facebook: 5.2%

Did the content meet subscriber's expectations of value?
Yes: 97.9%
No: 2.1%

Intent to support in the future
Yes: 99.8%
No: 0.2%

Would subscribers recommend to a friend?
Yes: 98.8%
No: 2.2%

*Please note: data only reflects Patreon subscribers who participated in the survey
**Data not provided for individual shows beyond(!) those listed

Choomp

Banned

18-21: 22.9%
31-40: 14.4%
Under 18: 4.5%
Over 40: 0.9%

Country
USA: 63.7%
Canada: 10.9%
UK: 10.8%
Other countries (including New Zeland, Ireland, Germany, Norway, and Mexico) 9.9%
Australia: 4.8%

Subscribes to Kinda Funny, Kinda Funny Games, or both (Patreon)
Both: 67.6%
Kinda Funny Games: 19.7%
Kinda Funny: 12.6%

Subscriber has been consuming Kinda Funny content since...
August to December 2012: 36.1%
July to December 2013: 14.8%
January to June 2013: 14.7%
January to June 2014: 12.8%
July to December 2014: 11%
Since 2015: 10.4%

Favorite Kinda Funny show
GameOverGreggy Show: 45.6%
Colin and Greg Live: 23.4%
Kinda Funny Gamescast: 12.1%
Conversation With Colin: 11%
Other: 7.9%**

Least favorite Kinda Funny show
Other: 49.3%**
Follow the Liter: 32.5%
Unboxings: 18.2%

Source of content
YouTube: 37.8%
Twitch: 32.3%
Podcasts: 24.4%

Social media followed
Twitter: 52.1%
Facebook: 25.9%
Instagram: 16.7%
Other: 5.3%

Means of finding new Kinda Funny content
YouTube: 29.9%
Patreon: 27.9%
Twitter: 23.1%
Podcast Service: 8.7%
Facebook: 5.2%

Would subscribers recommend to a friend?
Yes: 98.8%
No: 2.2%

*Please note: data only reflects Patreon subscribers who participated in the survey
**Data not provided for individual shows beyond(!) those listed

Where's the most important piece of data, Nick's question? :p

MattyG

Banned
Where's the most important piece of data, Nick's question? :p
I don't think they mentioned it in the video beyond saying they'd talk about it at the end, though I may have missed it when I was taking down the data. I forgot to take the survey, what was it, "which Fast and Furious is best?"

Karu

That's really rough, but probably not that surprising given their cast and thus their predominantly male-focused perspective.

I wonder why those 2% still support them? Estimated potential? Payed so much, nothing can be as valueable? Just curious.

I don't think they mentioned it in the video beyond saying they'd talk about it at the end, though I may have missed it when I was taking down the data. I forgot to take the survey, what was it, "which Fast and Furious is best?"
"What are you wearing right now?" lol

(List of stats)

Wow, some interesting stuff there. I'd say since Kinda Funny games has started, my favorite content has all been from that side of things, except for CwC. I love Teaching Tuesdays, and I hope they continue that in some what. Also really liking the Colin and Greg live, and the Gamescast. When they said that Colin and Greg live would be like having Beyond everyday, they weren't lying.

Did anyone listen to the latest episode of Podcast Beyond? Now we're 2 weeks deep into the new Beyond. So far, while I'm still enjoying the show overall, I'm liking it a lot less. It's definitely a different show; a lot more random conversation, a lot "goofier." I think some of that is ok, since this podcast team is still pretty new. I'll give them sometime to get settled in.

JJP12

Colin said they received their Hell Divers codes today on Colin and Greg Live. Hopefully we'll get a stream or something later tonight because that game looks awesome!

sam777

One of my tweets got favourited by Nick, so cool. Never had that happen before by someone who is kinda famous, to me anyway (pardon the pun).

notaxation

Neo Member
Hey All,

Colin here. Finally got a NeoGAF account of my own after years of lurking.

I just want to say thank you for showing us the level of support that you have. I know that Greg and I aren't necessarily the most popular people in some corners of GAF (trust me, I've read a great deal about how terrible I am on here in years past), but I'm nonetheless happy to be here, and am honored that many of you have made the jump with us to Kinda Funny.

So, that's pretty much it. Just wanted to acknowledge you guys and gals and let you know that I really am honored by the kindness you've shown us these past few months (and, for many of you, these past years via Beyond and the like). And for those that don't believe in what we do or like what we do? That's all good! Maybe we can change your minds moving forward.

I hope you are all well, and am looking forward to chiming in every now and then. -Colin

Flunkie

Banned
Colin in the building!! Wahoooooo.

(You should have asked Gary what his favorite Vita game was since he said he loved the platform)

Hey All,

I just want to say thank you for showing us the level of support that you have. I know that Greg and I aren't necessarily the most popular people in some corners of GAF (trust me, I've read a great deal about how terrible I am on here in years past), but I'm nonetheless happy to be here, and am honored that many of you have made the jump with us to Kinda Funny.

So, that's pretty much it. Just wanted to acknowledge you guys and gals and let you know that I really am honored by the kindness you've shown us these past few months (and, for many of you, these past years via Beyond and the like). And for those that don't believe in what we do or like what we do? That's all good! Maybe we can change your minds moving forward.

I hope you are all well, and am looking forward to chiming in every now and then. -Colin

Thanks Colin. There's hate mongers everywhere on the internet, and it seems the more popular/famous you become the easier it is for people to pile on the mob mentality.

I've also read a great deal of posts here by people (like myself) who appreciate the quality of your writing and knowledge behind the things you say. It's refreshing to see someone who is generally informed about the topics they address (and admits when they aren't.

You guys are doing great work at Kinda Funny - and MattyG was one of the guys who helped push through your account on here so again kudos to him for setting up this thread and doing that.

Choomp

Banned
Hey Colin! You guys do really awesome work! I look forward to supporting and consuming your content in the future.

Just a quick question if you're still around, have you guys ever considered playing a card game like Cards Against Humanity or Supercard in a video? I think it'd be super fun.

Hey All,

You're one of the best in the business, Colin. I have an enormous amount of respect for you in that you're not afraid to speak your mind on subjects and have facts to back it up when necessary.

Keep up the awesome work with Kinda Funny! #TheFireRises

N° 2048

Hey All,

Love ya buddy, keep up the great work and welcome to NeoGAF!

mdubs

Banned
Hey All,

Welcome to GAF Colin! Happy that you're joining all of us best friends in this thread, Beyond!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hey All,

Hi Colin! Thanks for everything you do. I think you're fab.

-

Just caught up on the review scores discussion. I thought it was absolutely fascinating. Where does everyone in the thread stand?

My head says that no scores is a better, more adult way to discuss this artform, but my heart likes the whole meta-game around scores and the kerfuffle they cause.

-

Just caught up on the review scores discussion. I thought it was absolutely fascinating. Where does everyone in the thread stand?

My head says that no scores is a better, more adult way to discuss this artform, but my heart likes the whole meta-game around scores and the kerfuffle they cause.

It seems awfully reductive to me to take all of the gameplay complexities, world building, visual and audio experience, and the emotional effects of a powerful story and put all of that into a stupid number.

So you could say I do not like scores being assigned.

-

I always prefer review discussions via video, like their Order video. It's one of the reasons I like Giant Bomb so much. Yes, they still do written reviews (albeit at a much slower pace than they used to), but even before a review is done there, you essentially get their opinions on a game by watching a quick look. You don't need a numbered score. You can see firsthand their reactions (good or bad) to a game. To me Kinda Funny is an evolution of what Giant Bomb started: A small team formally of a major video game site, focused heavily on video content, with some written content. Kinda Funny goes a step further by making it all video content. To me, these type of sites will become the major players in video game coverage. Sure IGN and Gamespot will still be there, but written reviews will probably go the way of the dodo, to the dismay of many, as there are some very talented writers like Colin.

Top Bottom