• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunsoft and Gaijinworks Team Up in NA: Blaster Master to VC and NIHON TELENET RIGHTS

Perhaps I am reading this wrong, but the Blaster Master on VC is going to have some "special" feature? Because that is really what the VC needs is some sort of extra thing that makes replaying these games worthwhile. I can`t wait to see what that could be.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
FateBreaker said:
Stop. Don't. That would just be too good. Albert Odyssey is easily one of the most underrated RPGs ever. Don't bring up ideas like this!

It's so funny, I was JUST playing the game yesterday 'cause I've been on kind of a Saturn binge as of late. :lol I'd happily welcome this or the previous Albert Odysseys.

duckroll

TheShampion said:
Perhaps I am reading this wrong, but the Blaster Master on VC is going to have some "special" feature? Because that is really what the VC needs is some sort of extra thing that makes replaying these games worthwhile. I can`t wait to see what that could be.

I'll summarize what we know so far:

- This month, Sunsoft will be releasing Blaster Master for VC on the Wii.

- The VC version of Blaster Master will have easter eggs and surprises not found in the original, and Vic Ireland says you will be rewarded for making the effort to beat the game this time.

- Next Friday there will be another announcement from Sunsoft/Gaijinworks about a new title they are releasing, which Vic Ireland says will surprise many people and it sounds like it is a pretty big deal so it is unlikely to be just another VC title.

- The week after that there will be another further announcement, as Sunsoft and Gaijinworks continues to outline their plans of returning into the industry outside of Japan.

I actually bought Bugs Bunny: Rabbit Rampage for the SNES by Sunsoft, just out of the blue, and it was surprisingly fun! :D

Who was the developer of that? Was it in-house?

Vic, I just wanna say, you made my childhood awesome.

You were responsible for so many of my favorite games as a kid, across all sorts of platforms.

A+. Would buy from again.

Johnas

FateBreaker said:
Was Sunsoft the one that did that awesome Batman game?

Yep, game rocks. Just played through it again about a year ago for the first time in ages. I had forgotten how frustrating the final battle was.

Tons of awesome wall-jumping too.

vireland

duckroll said:
I'll summarize what we know so far:

- This month, Sunsoft will be releasing Blaster Master for VC on the Wii.

- The VC version of Blaster Master will have easter eggs and surprises not found in the original, and Vic Ireland says you will be rewarded for making the effort to beat the game this time.

- Next Friday there will be another announcement from Sunsoft/Gaijinworks about a new title they are releasing, which Vic Ireland says will surprise many people and it sounds like it is a pretty big deal so it is unlikely to be just another VC title.

- The week after that there will be another further announcement, as Sunsoft and Gaijinworks continues to outline their plans of returning into the industry outside of Japan.

Mostly correct, except that next Friday's release is not about a single title.

vireland

duckroll said:
Okay dude, you just upped the ante. :lol

Okay, since we're talking poker talk, I will say that I recommended a specific course of action in one area (we're dealing with many areas in this Sunsoft resurgence), and Yoshida-san essentially said, "I like where you're headed. I'll see your <suggestion> and go all in <with a MUCH larger implementation of what I recommended, which is what the press release will cover>".

I was literally stunned to hear how far he went with what I recommended. I'm pretty sure you, especially, will be as well.

Hobbun

vireland said:
Okay, since we're talking poker talk, I will say that I recommended a specific course of action in one area (we're dealing with many areas in this Sunsoft resurgence), and Yoshida-san essentially said, "I like where you're headed. I'll see your <suggestion> and go all in <with a MUCH larger implementation of what I recommended, which is what the press release will cover>".

I was literally stunned to hear how far he went with what I recommended. I'm pretty sure you, especially, will be as well.

Sunsoft and Gaijinworks reviving the Lunar franchise.

Believe.

duckroll

vireland said:

I'm curious, how long as Sunsoft and Gaijinworks been working on this resurgence? A year? Two years?

Phenomic

I cannot wait for next Friday to see what these now announcements will bring, His new works are a long time in the making and I do not believe Mr. Ireland will disappoint, he definitely deserves a good majority of the credit for why I love gaming so much and knows how to make a quality title. Also, out of curiosity who owns the rights to Alundra now?

RurouniZel

Phenomic said:
I cannot wait for next Friday to see what these now announcements will bring, His new works are a long time in the making and I do not believe Mr. Ireland will disappoint, he definitely deserves a good majority of the credit for why I love gaming so much and knows how to make a quality title. Also, out of curiosity who owns the rights to Alundra now?

That would be Matrix Software I believe?

Hey, stuff is happening! Sunsoft revival eh? Cool.

I've always wanted to try Blaster Master but haven't gotten the chance to yet even though I have read the novelization of it. (Strange, I know.)

Will be getting this for sure.

vireland

duckroll said:
I'm curious, how long as Sunsoft and Gaijinworks been working on this resurgence? A year? Two years?

It's a pooling of common goals. We were each doing our own thing and the press release next Friday is part of something I've been working on with Gaijinworks for more than two years, but when the Sunsoft thing came together, it made more sense to use their greater resources to do it in a much bigger way. Not to be obtuse or anything, but that's the answer... :)

duckroll

vireland said:
Technically owned by GungHo. There are almost none of the original Game Arts staff left in it.

I bet more original Game Arts staff worked on Thexder PSP than Lunar PSP. Can you confirm? :)

vireland

Christopher said:
Am I wrong for still being mad you guys didn't get Lunar for PSP?

Time will tell. But don't be mad at me. I offered the keys to the USA LUNAR kingdom to XSEED/GungHo and was rejected.

vireland

duckroll said:
I bet more original Game Arts staff worked on Thexder PSP than Lunar PSP. Can you confirm? :)

I honestly don't know. But the key staff left that's truly Game Arts is very small.

RurouniZel

vireland said:
I honestly don't know. But the key staff left that's truly Game Arts is very small.

It's kind of sad to see how they've fallen. Not to mention Studio Alex.

duckroll

vireland said:

Well, Thexder PSP is developed by a tiny new developer founded by one of the lead programmers of Grandia I believe. It's kinda surprising to see that it was actually someone from Game Arts who ended up developing the remake of a classic Game Arts title. :lol

Enk

makes good threads.
The problem with Vic's extreme hype for next week is that is I'm automatically thinking "NEW 2D BLASTER MASTER GAME"!!! But that's just silly dreaming. Right Vic?

vireland

Enk said:
The problem with Vic's extreme hype for next week is that is I'm automatically thinking "NEW 2D BLASTER MASTER GAME"!!! But that's just silly dreaming. Right Vic?

Next week has nothing to do with Blaster Master. That would be like putting syrup on candy bars. Both good in their own right, but you can only handle so much of the same goodness. This will be good in a very different and very awesome way.

OnPoint

I'll be watching closely... I believe in you Vic.

Also, Blaster Master ftw. I'll be DLing that as soon as it's available, and I still own my original cart as well.

And screw the haters, the Genesis sequel was great

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
vireland said:
Next week has nothing to do with Blaster Master. That would be like putting syrup on candy bars. Both good in their own right, but you can only handle so much of the same goodness. This will be good in a very different and very awesome way.
With talk like this, you've clearly never tried putting syrup on candy bars.

Cheerilee

vireland said:

I'm betting that you were translating some random Japan-only Square game for the VC, like Seiken Densetsu 3 or something like that, and then you bumped into a hurdle in that Sunsoft's contract to reprint old Square games was still active, so you got in touch with Sunsoft to smooth things over and keep the project going, and then over tea you decided to launch a massive coup d'état and have taken all of Square Enix's cookies.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
ruby onix said:
I'm betting that you were translating some random Japan-only Square game for the VC, like Seiken Densetsu 3 or something like that, and then you bumped into a hurdle in that Sunsoft's contract to reprint old Square games was still active, so you got in touch with Sunsoft to smooth things over and keep the project going, and then over tea you decided to launch a massive coup d'état and have taken all of Square Enix's cookies.
Joke's on him, Square Enix cookies are inedible due to all the buckles.

Also, they're not simply 'cookies'. They're Square Enix Confectionary Arts.

chaostrophy said:
I thought Fester's Quest was a pretty neat game.

As did I. It really wasn't that bad a game if you had a turbo controller to make the shooting more bearable at the lower gun functions, just blast the flower-things on the first street until you've leveled your gun all the way then take it carefully from there and you'll be alright. Fester's Quest is actually one of my personal favorites from the NES, in fact. I'd love to have a copy on Wii VC (even if I would be the only one to buy it :p) I'll be picking up Blaster Master for sure, and keeping my eye out for any other SunSoft titles coming down the pike. You think they'll be resurrecting the "SunSoft Fun Club" (at least I think that was what it was called, it's been years)?

MattyGrovesOrMe said:
Blaster Master! Such a great game... I even had the Worlds of Power novelization as a kid.
BlasterMasterBook.jpg

Can kids still write book reports about video games?

Hehe, I had that book too. A couple of those Worlds of Power books were good reads, including that one.

jesusraz

duckroll said:
Well, not only was Albert Odyssey a Sunsoft title, but I checked the Japanese patent office database to see what trademarks Sunsoft has registered lately, and there's a 2009 application for Albert Odyssey complete with the original title logo. Hmmm... new entry?
vireland said:
Think you're on to something here, duckroll :)

Captain N

Whimsical Phil said:
Curse you, Anticipatioooooooooooooooooooooooooon!

Seriously, though, I would be endlessly delighted if Anticipation came out on VC on the same day as Blaster Master.

it would be perfect if that happened and on the same day your mother got a Wii and gifted you Anticipation because she remembered you talking about it.

Enk

makes good threads.
Hmm... maybe now with Sunsoft/Gaijin Works teamup, Ufouria/Hebereke can finally get a release in the States. A really great game that should be played by anyone who still has a fondness of old school NES side scrolling adventures like Metroid.

206090-u_for_ia_large.jpg

Top Bottom