• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF OT 14: The Alpha and The Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazduh

That's what happens when you're a hypocrite and shit on the people that made you famous and got you all your coins. Not surprised.

wha

g20mxLQ.gif

You mean she's a hypocrite for calling out the people who voted Trump/talking about the current state - the age of complacency?

Is it true that Katy said Chains to the basic is a promo single? I cant

A fake Spotify email called it a "buzz" single but I wouldn't be surprised if her team is planning to pull a stunt. Lol

I wonder if Katy is planning to honor her word and unstan herself tho.

DOWN

Banned
I get irrationally mad when I hear those moments where it's obvious the writer and singer couldn't think of a good rhyme

Nicki's The Night Is Still Young:
"And we gon' hangover the next day
But we will remember this day"

Or that new song Issues by Julia Michaels
"When I'm down I get real down
When I'm high I don't come down"
"You get mad and you break things
Feel bad, try to fix things"

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I get irrationally mad when I hear those moments where it's obvious the writer and singer couldn't think of a good rhyme

Nicki's The Night Is Still Young:
"And we gon' hangover the next day
But we will remember this day"

Or that new song Issues by Julia Michaels
"When I'm down I get real down
When I'm high I don't come down"
"You get mad and you break things
Feel bad, try to fix things"

You must not like this:

"I miss the old Kanye, straight from the Go Kanye
Chop up the soul Kanye, set on his goals Kanye
I hate the new Kanye, the bad mood Kanye
The always rude Kanye, spaz in the news Kanye
I miss the sweet Kanye, chop up the beats Kanye
I gotta say, at that time I'd like to meet Kanye
See, I invented Kanye, it wasn't any Kanyes
And now I look and look around and there's so many Kanyes
I used to love Kanye, I used to love Kanye
I even had the pink polo, I thought I was Kanye
What if Kanye made a song about Kanye
Called "I Miss The Old Kanye"? Man, that'd be so Kanye
That's all it was Kanye, we still love Kanye
And I love you like Kanye loves Kanye"

botty

Banned
You'd think a MC stan would empathize with Katy's situation. By Monday, CTTR will outperform "I Don't" in every regard...

K0vFBON.gif

Touchback

Banned
You'd think a MC stan would empathize with Katy's situation. By Monday, CTTR will outperform "I Don't" in every regard...

K0vFBON.gif

Be careful what your faves say about Queen Mimi. It always comes back to bite them in the end.
The thing I sympathize with is the thought that the media and the powers at be do too much to bring down a female popstar once they hit a certain age. They did it with Madonna and Mariah, and now looks like they're doing it with Katy. If you're not a "spring chicken" they send you to the pits of hell.

K0vFBON.gif

Koodo

Banned
Be careful what your faves say about Queen Mimi. It always comes back to bite them in the end.
The thing I sympathize with is the thought that the media and the powers at be do too much to bring down a female popstar once they hit a certain age. They did it with Madonna and Mariah, and now looks like they're doing it with Katy. If you're not a "spring chicken" they send you to the pits of hell.

K0vFBON.gif
Madonna had no problem getting a chart topping smash era at the age of 47.

K0vFBON.gif

I mean...

I don't want to be the one to bring it up, but...

The "most beloved" pop stars are looking very Aryan while 3/4 "other lessers" are women of colour.
E8zYVfG.gif

doby

If I knew no better I'd have thought that was Fearne Cotton (UK reference).

Less of the frumpy trouser suits and more of the tit clenching, ass hugging dresses please Katy (circa Teenage Dream).

Frodo

I need to get something out of my chest, tho:

I actually like Lady Gaga? I mean, I was a stan when she first appeared out of nowhere in 2008, and Just Dance and Poker Face videos on YouTube were still under the 1kk views mark. She continued to grow with Fame Monster and it was exciting to see Bad Romance and Telephone and how big those songs were and how the public finally got a chance to know her. It was a nice change from the "Lady Who?" response you would usually get when talking to your friends about her. Up to that point it was fine. And then things started going sour for me.

Little Monsters happened. Gaga became more and more weird. Most of the things she did were more about fashion than about music. Born this Way happened and it didn't quite connect with me ,and she continued on this trajectory. Before [REDACTED] happen everyone was acting like she would transform the POP scene, and when it crashed and burned, she kind of pretended it never happened, went low-key for a while and came back with Joanne (Rod who?), which, I don't think is a bad album, but I can't be bothered to listen to it either (not to mention, that during the weird Gaga days, how she would act like she invented a style, either of music or fashion, when she was heavily inspired by other people before her and would never give credit, with Little Monsters actually becoming bullies in every single YouTube video that wasn't a Lady Gaga one).

Still, I guess the old stan in me still believes she can do great and she can be great. Whenever I watch some interview with her (at least the recent ones, where she is not the Gaga persona) I find it very easy to connect with her, and she seems like a nice gal. But I still have the feeling she is holding back. If I had to guess, I'd say she probably treads a very thin line of doing what she wants to do, but at the meanwhile still wanting to be liked and appreciated. And I suppose that brings her potential down.

On of the things I love about Madonna is how, for most of her career, she didn't give a damn about what people would think. No one would ever think of releasing something like EROTICA in these current days, but she did it in the early 90s. She never apologised for it after the backslash and still made bank by releasing Human Nature after the controversy where she just puts more logs into the fire by speaking this, amongst other things, at the end of the song:

(I'm not apologizing)
(Would it sound better if I were a man?)
(You're the one with the problem)
(Why don't you just deal with it)
(Would you like me better if I was?)
(We all feel the same way)
(I have no regrets)
(Just look in the mirror)

You would think most people would just see the backslash, would apologise for it and try to pretend it never happened. She didn't. And the back slash didn't stop her from creating more controversy later in her career, and she made an entire album called American Life, pointing the incongruence of the lifestyle of that nation. Which got more people pissed, more backslash, boycotts, and radios refusing to air her music. And what does she do? She doesn't apologise for it.

I feel Gaga could benefit from being bolder. I guess that is what I miss from her. A bolder persona. Not a persona that pretends to be bold hiding behind a costume. Someone that really takes a stand and sticks to it, instead of dropping everything when it doesn't go according to plan. Do something bold. Do something people will remember. Take a stand. Don't be afraid to not be liked. As of now, her fashion is the fist thing that comes to my mind when I think of Lady Gaga. I know she made some statements about LGBT+ people, and she spoke about mental illness, but not with the same conviction as she hang herself covered in blood during the VMA. She also missed a golden opportunity to make something during the SuperBowl. I know there are probably contracts in places forbidding it, but she could have made a better stand in a time America needs it so bad.

Anyhow. This is my personal impression of Gaga, and how, as a stan, I felt out of love with her. I still like her and wish she would do something to blow me away, because I'm sure she has the talent to do it. I'm not claiming this reflects the GP perceptions of her either.

hjFs8Be.gif

MANUELF

Banned
Okay I Must admit I put my faves in the OP excluding Gwen but I was honest and put the others most talked about too

I find Honeymoon to be really really good to listen to when I'm studying, doing homework, or gaming etc.

It's nice to just sing
and wail
along to it when I'm doing something else. Salvatore is still an experience tbh

edit: I don't think I have ever listened to Swan Song in full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom