• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I've been working on this in my spare time the last few days, so, as an update to the 25th Anniversary thread posted back in July 2014, here is the current list of everyone who has posted in every Steam thread:

Kifimbo
JaseC
morningbus
Nabs
Stallion Free

From 26 down to 5 over the course of 3 years.

Congratulations! We're at the point now where one of us is probably going to have to die for the list to change.

How many of the remaining 21 are banned?

The more interesting question is who has had their account nuked?

The answer so far: animlboogy

Every time I think about Nier I decide to wait until it is patched. I remember it took them like 6 months for Lightning Returns to get patched so there is hope.

MRORANGE

I've been working on this in my spare time the last few days, so, as an update to the 25th Anniversary thread posted back in July 2014, here is the current list of everyone who has posted in every Steam thread:

Kifimbo
JaseC
morningbus
Nabs
Stallion Free

Congratulations! We're at the point now where one of us is probably going to have to die for the list to change.

I was going to make a 50th thread in the same manner, but I lost count and I think it has passed now. I'll do something for next year though, since it would be the 10th anniversary of SteamGAF threads.

morningbus

I was going to make a 50th thread in the same manner, but I lost count and I think it has passed now. I'll do something for next year though, since it would be the 10th anniversary of SteamGAF threads.

Yeah, we're past that milestone, unfortunately. By my count, I think this is the 70th thread, including the period of time where we had multiple threads for one month (one month we had three threads in total).

Not too late for the Hundo, though.

Wait...

The new client is coming within a few weeks!?

(I know in Valve time this probably means 2018)
Chris Boyd's words are that it'll be coming this summer and that users can opt-in for the beta. There hasn't been a confirmed date yet when this beta client will be released.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Kifimbo
JaseC
morningbus
Nabs
Stallion Free

Nice.

The updated library tab consists of two buttons, one to launch Dota 2 and another to launch Artifact.

a-strange-game-the-only-winning-move-is-not-to-6657317.png

Although, to be fair, I'm a tiny bit interested in Artifact. Depends how much of a mess MTG Arena turns out to be.

Parsnip

Kifimbo
JaseC
morningbus
Nabs
Stallion Free

Some of you guys have been on gaf for way longer than I realized.

The more interesting question is who has had their account nuked?

The answer so far: animlboogy

Oh. I was wondering what happened to him.
Well, I guess I still don't know what happened to him.

Vibranium

Banned

Kifimbo
JaseC
morningbus
Nabs
Stallion Free

Holy cow, guys.

But what would these threads do without you!? :)

Wok

1. Aaron — still browses GAF
  2. Alien8 — still browses GAF
  3. animlboogy — nuked
  4. ArjanN — still browses GAF
  5. arts&crafts — still browses GAF
  6. Baha — still browses GAF
  7. Bluth54 — still browses GAF
  8. Buttonbasher — still browses GAF
  9. crimsonheadGCN — still browses GAF
  10. Danj — still browses GAF
  11. drizzle — still browses GAF
  12. Firehead — still browses GAF
  13. Fox318 — still browses GAF
  14. Htown — still browses GAF
  15. JaseC — still here
  16. jaundicejuice — still browses GAF
  17. Kifimbo — still here
  18. morningbus — still here
  19. mrgone — still browses GAF
  20. Nabs — still here
  21. NIN90 — still browses GAF
  22. SalsaShark — still browses GAF
  23. Sinatar — still browses GAF
  24. Stallion Free — still here
  25. Stumpokapow — still browses GAF
  26. Volcynika — still browses GAF

We need a "what have they become?" thread.

Edit: Updated. They are still all on GAF.

This can be settled at PUBG.

morningbus

This can be settled at PUBG.

Stump and ArjanN only missed out because they forgot to post in the second one of the two-part threads we used to require.

Annubis

So I got VoidExpanse in the last sale and I've played enough to say that it's pretty good.

I got it just because Starsector isn't out yet, and it's a pretty good alternative.
Not quite as deep but still well worth looking into.

Graphics are 3D which is a big difference and they are actually pretty nice.
The controls are OK. You can move well and dodging enemy fire is pretty important.
I actually like the ship selection except for one thing: there is no cargo ship hybrid. Meaning if you want cargo, you have to get a merchant ship. Every non-merchant ship has the same minimal cargo area.

If anyone wants to play it, there's 3 things I'd recommend:

Get the workshop item "Select Station Quest"
Usually the quest you get is random and some of them can be done much quicker than others or match you playstyle/ship better. It's a bit of a cheat but it's an enormous QOL change.

Get the workshop item "Victoria Co-pilot Voice"
This makes your ship sound human (hence co-pilot). Nothing more; nothing less. Still, it's nice to have some company in the void of space.

Small map size
When you create your game, either leave the size to default or make it small.
More space means more empty zones with little to do. Even at the smallest map size possible, there are enough system to loot/level without any issue.
I set mine to the largest and regretted it pretty quickly has it took a lot of travel to go from faction to faction or to go to enemy space.

If by next sale Starsector hasn't hit the next big milestone, I can see myself getting the DLC campaign of VoidExpanse.

Purkake4

Banned
So I got VoidExpanse in the last sale and I've played enough to say that it's pretty good.

I got it just because Starsector isn't out yet, and it's a pretty good alternative.
Not quite as deep but still well worth looking into.

Graphics are 3D which is a big difference and they are actually pretty nice.
The controls are OK. You can move well and dodging enemy fire is pretty important.
I actually like the ship selection except for one thing: there is no cargo ship hybrid. Meaning if you want cargo, you have to get a merchant ship. Every non-merchant ship has the same minimal cargo area.

If anyone wants to play it, there's 3 things I'd recommend:

Get the workshop item "Select Station Quest"
Usually the quest you get is random and some of them can be done much quicker than others or match you playstyle/ship better. It's a bit of a cheat but it's an enormous QOL change.

Get the workshop item "Victoria Co-pilot Voice"
This makes your ship sound human (hence co-pilot). Nothing more; nothing less. Still, it's nice to have some company in the void of space.

Small map size
When you create your game, either leave the size to default or make it small.
More space means more empty zones with little to do. Even at the smallest map size possible, there are enough system to loot/level without any issue.
I set mine to the largest and regretted it pretty quickly has it took a lot of travel to go from faction to faction or to go to enemy space.

If by next sale Starsector hasn't hit the next big milestone, I can see myself getting the DLC campaign of VoidExpanse.
I just tried it as well and honestly, it's miles behind where Starsector is at the moment. The combat in Voidexplanse is intolerable.

MRORANGE

I remember those dark days when we used to get three threads and about 50,000 posts a month.

While I wouldn't like to return to the days of three threads a month, I still think that platform threads belong in gaming side, a lot of times we picked up more people on gaming side as they could easily hop in and check the thread out rather than going to community side which feels less inclusive.

I think my main gripe with community is still the fact that some threads in gaming should clearly be community, I mean we have early acess games that have been out for moths or speculation threads with no real news but have major fan bases attached to them, (smash bros pre-release OT come to mind). I do understand that breaking news needs to be placed first on gaming but I think we have lost quite a few community threads as a sacrifice for this.

But SteamGAF is still going strong so there's hope - at least we did better than the PSN thread lol:

PlayStation Network Thread | September 2014 - 169 pages

PlayStation Network Thread | February 2017 - 2 pages,- community is now dead

While I wouldn't like to return to the days of three threads a month, I still think that platform threads belong in gaming side, a lot of times we picked up more people on gaming side as they could easily hop in and check the thread out rather than going to community side which feels less inclusive.

I think my main gripe with community is still the fact that some threads in gaming should clearly be community, I mean we have early acess games that have been out for moths or speculation threads with no real news but have major fan bases attached to them, (smash bros pre-release OT come to mind). I do understand that breaking news needs to be placed first on gaming but I think we have lost quite a few community threads as a sacrifice for this.

But SteamGAF is still going strong so there's hope - at least we did better than the PSN thread lol:

Console GAF hate digital so much.

Too bad, I'd like to join the community thread.

shockdude

Well to be fair the Steam thread kind of encompasses a vast majority of PC gaming in general, such that non-Steam games and even PCs in general often get discussed.

also anime

kagamin

I'm thinking about picking up the JP PC version of Zero no Kiseki just for the purpose of having it in the first place. haha
Maybe when it goes on sale next time on DLsite.

FLD

Teggy

OK Rhaknar, should I be able to stumble my way through Disgaea or do I need a guide to understand all of these mechanics?

OK Rhaknar, should I be able to stumble my way through Disgaea or do I need a guide to understand all of these mechanics?

If you save often, you should be able to stumble through the first game. In the New Game+, you might want to look into guides for grinding, effective council management and/or transfiguration.

I would say they dont.

Its like them saying "Well. PC-Gamers dont see value in Games. Only buy it during the sales. Oh. Here is a PSN sale! GREAT!"

Lol you may be right. PSN sales threads indeed always get so much attention in the gaming side.

Then what's the problem with PSN threads in community?

Pachimari

Finally got that Rime game at that price. Hopefully it'll run decently on my rig.

Also installed Starcraft as I see it is required if I want to get the remastered edition.

Teggy

But there are nonstandard game overs if you lose to certain bosses, that unlock other things....and multiple endings...you'll want to see 'em all...

:( I want to just play the game and get the canon ending
or get the regular ending and watch the rest on YouTube

:( I want to just play the game and get the canon ending
or get the regular ending and watch the rest on YouTube

You want the canon ending?

Don't kill any of your allies. There's a record keeper who can tell you how many friendly kills you got. You NEED 0. 1 will screw you up.

MRORANGE

Lol you may be right. PSN sales threads indeed always get so much attention in the gaming side.

Then what's the problem with PSN threads in community?

I think the main reason is there is something to talk about steam compared to Psn where the discussion can be quite limited with less games/features/updates to really get the ball rolling on a conversation. But this reason doesn't explain the massive number drop over the past 3 years.

The only other reason is the fact that the PSN thread was originally a vita thread but there was some conflict that made it into a PSN thread instead, I think this was the same time threads got moved into community. A lot of vitaGaf was pissed as it was the only sanctuary where the vita didn't get bashed and they now had to share it as a PSN thread instead. I'm guessing they left over time as the conversation changed. Or maybe the vita had no games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think the main reason is there is something to talk about steam compared to Psn where the discussion can be quite limited with less games/features/updates to really get the ball rolling on a conversation. But this reason doesn't explain the massive number drop over the past 3 years.

The only other reason is the fact that the PSN thread was originally a vita thread but there was some conflict that made it into a PSN thread instead, I think this was the same time threads got moved into community. A lot of vitaGaf was pissed as it was the only sanctuary where the vita didn't get bashed and they now had to share it as a PSN thread instead. I'm guessing they left over time as the conversation changed. Or maybe the vita had no games.

I think it'll be better if Gaf had a mega thread for each console in community instead.

In my local gaming forums, the console mega threads are always the most active ones. There's always questions to be asked, whether from people who are about to purchase a new console, deals for the consoles, or about anything related to the system (including PSN). But here in Gaf, people end up making new threads because there's no place to ask their questions. We constantly get threads like these in gaming side:

Getting a PS4 soon, what should I know?
Is this cheap Dualshock4 legit?
XBox S or X, which should I get?
Is PSN down for everyone else?

I've had so many questions unanswered regarding the PS4 and PSN back then, and I had no idea where should I post them as well.

Pachimari

How is FIFA generally on PC? Is the community big enough for just Online Seasons games? As I don't really play FUT that much. And can it be played in windowed fullscreen no problem?

Kifimbo
JaseC
morningbus
Nabs
Stallion Free

This is the dullest game of PUBG ever. Can we start electrocuting you guys yet?

Huh, if it's not out of line does anyone know why animlboogy was nuked?

I bought R6 Siege starter pack from peer pressure. Time to see if I regret this.
Ehh, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the starter pack is kind of a dud that turns the game into a massive grind for standard operators. I'd really recommend anyone getting into Siege to at least get the standard edition. Game's great though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom