• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity offline mode is FINALLY coming

1) Create a terrible, franchise-destroying online-only game
2) Ride wave of initial sales based on franchise hype
3) Watch the game's reputation get destroyed as you're incapable of fixing fundamental flaws in the game
4) Months later, patch in offline mode
5) See no sales bump
6) Refuse to ever release offline games again. Cite SimCity. "See! We gave you what you said you wanted, and no one bought it!")

The sales were good enough I'd almost guarantee a sequel is in the works. Wouldn't even be surprised to see a next gen console port announced soon, also making this PC patch more necessary, as they'd look like bigger assholes releasing a console version that could be offline, if the PC version couldn't.

Well he's not wrong. He never said that it couldn't technically be done. There was red tape in place that you'd only really know about if you worked maxis.

I have NO idea how you can read that tweet and not see he was saying "this game cannot be patched to be offline". That is what he was saying.

Kinyou

That was a cheap shot, Jim. There's nothing wrong with updating a review when things change.
I admit, it's something I appreciate as well. Of course I'd prefer them to give the actual score it deserves right away instead of rushing the review out and adjusting it later, but at least they do something.

jonnyp

BpXsTDa.jpg

Just in case people somehow think this news makes the game worth playing.

So pitiful. Thanks for the warning, I had no idea it was THAT small.

Nymphae

Banned
To be fair, he's right. He's not saying that it cant be patched in, just that nobody outside of people working on the game would know whether its possible or not.

Yeah, technically he was right, in that people saying this must be possible offline don't work for the devs and therefore don't know with certainty that it can be done...but it can be done, so he was getting all twitter butthurt for nothing.

And then does this when someone shows him how it's possible:

When confronted with the Rock Paper Shotgun article titled Maxis Insider Tells RPS: SimCity Servers Not Necessary:

Don't know why he was so adamantly defending their shit. Maybe because he gave the game a 9 on day 1?

Talamius

PSA: Do not buy this game. Even with an offline mode patched in it's still a Facebook game masquerading as a $60 title.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Holy shit. Good job, it's a great game even that shouldn't have been left to this fate in the first place.

I'm hoping 1404 does well upon returning and Ubi feels compelled to bring back 1701 also (to be fair it and Sunken Dragon being pulled wasn't exactly Ubi's fault, but even so the ball is in its court)... oh, and of course King Kong and Tintin finally hitting Steam would be nice, too.

Marcel

I have NO idea how you can read that tweet and not see he was saying "this game cannot be patched to be offline". That is what he was saying.

If you read it as a clueless game 'journalist' stating the obvious, you could spin it that way that other guy said. I think it's definitely more "wannabe community manager" tactfully choosing his words as to not offend.

Jinko

Heh probably cause Banished is coming out next month, a bit of competition is just what they need, not that they change the game at this point.

I had fun playing Simcity 2013 but can't say I have wanted to go back since I quit playing after a couple weeks.

danmaku

This shows how far PR bullshit can go: from "impossible" to "we're doing it right now".

I guess the online population was dwindling and EA decided to give up with their idiotic business model.

Listonosh

god, why would someone set themselves up for embarrassment in such an obvious way?

I agree. Ben Kuchera did something very similar when reporting on the Xbox One's inability to change its always-on DRM policy, and that no outcry from the internet would ever change that.

The traffic was good I guess =/

SummitAve

Banned
I will go with this being his spin. That's pretty clever.

It's not really spin though, it's the truth. The only way you would actually know why maxis didn't want an offline mode is if you worked there because the reason was not technical limitations. His sentiment of people talking objectively and confidently based on absolutely nothing remains.

Bedlam

god, why would someone set themselves up for embarrassment in such an obvious way?
He is clearly trying to asskiss his way up the industry (also see his attempts to become twitter-buddies with Penello etc). Only he fails to do it in a subtle manner. When you're publicly known for being a clueless, arrogant fool you're not a particularly attractive candidate as a community manager (that's the position that ex-press people without talent get hired for in the industry, right?).

LiK

This shows how far PR bullshit can go: from "impossible" to "we're doing it right now".

I guess the online population was dwindling and EA decided to give up with their idiotic business model.

Pretty much. Hearing that certain projects can't be done without friends to help out online is dumb as hell. Who thought this was a good idea?

Kabouter

I don't really care to be honest. I haven't had problems due to the online in ages. Fix the bloody map size and bugs, and I'll come back to the game. Though, I suppose, maybe modders will fix it thanks to now having offline mode, but I'd rather Maxis create a proper base for modders to work off of.

Seanspeed

Banned
Because that's not what he's saying in THAT tweet right there. Just basic reading comprehension and an ability to not overreact about things.

Except for the fact that, ya know, hackers/enthusiasts had the game running offline within the first week. They just disabled the call to the server and it still worked fine.
I didn't realize that part. Fair enough.

Anybody saying that 'oh you sound just like Gies' should understand that some of us just like people to be treated fairly, that's all. I don't care one bit about this guy and don't even really know who he is specifically other than some guy GAF hates a lot.

Hasney

Pretty much. Hearing that certain projects can't be done without friends to help out online is dumb as hell. Who thought this was a good idea?

I thought you still could, you'd just need to run multiple cities at once?

Marcel

It's not really spin though, it's the truth. The only way you would actually know why maxis didn't want an offline mode is if you worked there because the reason was not technical limitations. His sentiment of people talking objectively and confidently based on absolutely nothing remains.

John Riccitiello famously said something to the effect that customers will "learn to love" always-online DRM. It doesn't take a genius to make the proper inferences and conclusions.

But that's not an incorrect statement? You "literally don't know what you're talking about" doesn't mean "you're wrong".

But people did know what they were talking about. It was clear from the start that the servers weren't doing any kind of calculation and it was all just DRM.

Now you have the proof.

Coming soon to Polygon.com

How Maxis made the imposable, possible.

A inside look at what might be the greatest technical achievement of mankind in 2014.

Mondy

Banned
Way too late. People have already lost interest, moved on, and taken yet another negative memory of EA with them.

Bedlam

Is there any legitimate reason for the cities being so small?
The Glassbox engine supposedly can't handle bigger cities - which makes it a horrible design decision.

But people did know what they were talking about. It was clear from the start that the servers weren't doing any kind of calculation and it was all just DRM.
Exactly. It was clear right from the start that Gies was the one who didn't know what he was talking about. Of course his inflated ego didn't allow him to admit he was wrong.

Marcel

As opposed to who? I don't see why you'd trust any particular platform over another and I really don't understand why you'd cite the platform as the only reason not to buy a game.

EA has managed to make themselves the least trustworthy in an industry full of untrustworthy publishers and developers. That's quite an accomplishment. I can't say I blame anyone who doesn't want to use their products as a result of their distaste for the parent company.

Spaghetti

as most likely pointed out several times in this thread, the game is unfortunately trash and offline mode will never change that

DEO3

Simcity 4 was a broken mess until modders got their hands on it, and thanks to those modders it's now considered to be the best game in the series. Now that Simcity 2013 will be moddable, I'm curious to see what'll come of it.

Is there any legitimate reason for the cities being so small?

The general cited reason by maxis is that the simulation is much deeper, which is true. People compare city sizes to simcity 4 but don't really realise that things like roads in sc4 were not much more than animated .gifs. In SC2013 they have this idea of everything being an 'agent'. So, Maxis say that bigger cities wouldn't be as easy to simulate.

So, it's basically a scale problem.

Top Bottom