• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Spartan Assault |OT| Feels Like Halo

Bsigg12

yupp.

Remember when the whole idea of Xbox Live on Win 8 and Win Phone 8 was going to be syncing with games on Xbox. Remember that microsoft?

Bullshit.

Well, with Xbox One it will be. Currently the 360 can't support the Marketplace present in Windows 8.

jediyoshi

Just took a gander around the store for the first time.
Looks like MS isn't keeping their eye too close to it

kvnuRlR.jpg

edit: Halo up and bought

Try this.

QR%20Halo_Spartan_Assault.png

Thanks for the link.

It's 691 MB. Wow. I apparently don't have 1GB RAM in my phone or anywhere near enough space on my internal memory. I was an idiot when buying my phone and thought that apps could be installed on the Memory Stick. Will get it on Windows 8 as previously planned.

zedge

Thanks for the link.

It's 691 MB. Wow. I apparently don't have 1GB RAM in my phone or anywhere near enough space on my internal memory. I was an idiot when buying my phone and thought that apps could be installed on the Memory Stick. Will get it on Windows 8 as previously planned.

That sucks. They are updating the game to support phones with 512 MB of ram in Aug I believe.

That sucks. They are updating the game to support phones with 512 MB of ram in Aug I believe.

Yeah I read that too. Won't help my phone though. If they had just bothered to have 8/16/32GB internal memory I would be fine but my phone has 4GB. I made a huge mistake. I think this'll probably be the phone I have kept the least amount of time (~1 year). It's an HTC Windows Phone 8S for anyone wondering. I am looking at upgrading to a Lumia within 6 months.

Do I have to separately buy it for pc if I buy it for my phone?

Most probably yes. I'd say I'm 99.999% sure.

Would get it on my phone but lol Verizon exclusive. Seriously a dick move.

Not sure whether to get it via the Windows store or just wait for it to come to AT&T

KaYotiX

Banned
Can I use an Xbox 360 controller for Halo: Spartan Assault?

Yes, although use of the Xbox 360 controller is limited to the Windows 8 PC version of the game. This control method won't be available immediately at launch, however. Until 360 controller functionality is patched in a couple of weeks after launch, PC players will need to use a keyboard and mouse.

Source: http://www.gametrailers.com/mobile-apps/55051/halo-spartan-assault-qa

Forgot about that, adding to OP

Well I will buy it once the patch is out.

zorbsie

Downloading it on the surface now. For those asking about paying twice, yes you have to pay twice. 6.99 both platforms. Nice to see the Windows 8 version is a larger file size too. 691MB on WP8 compared to 843MB on W8. Hope the extra file size isn't only for better video files.

Spasm

So I bought it on W8 but it won't let me install it. ARGH

I couldn't see that it was installing either, but it did. Patience.

This runs gloriously at 1920x1200 on my Surface Pro.

My first (first) impressions.

Very buggy. App crashed three times while first trying to play (one time completely locking my system up).
Load times are weird in game. Frame rate drops considerably.
Mouse has a kind of sluggishness to it - you move your mouse and it takes a fair amount of time for your cursor to get there.
Vehicle combat is awful. AWFUL. I can't even drive a Scorpion straight ahead
Combat feels very... eh with keyboard and mouse. Probably should have went with a mobile version
Music is good though.

Huh, haven't had any of those problems. Haven't tried vehicles, besides a Shade, yet though.

Omni

My first (first) impressions.

Very buggy. App crashed three times while first trying to play (one time completely locking my system up).
Load times are weird in game. Frame rate drops considerably.
Mouse has a kind of sluggishness to it - you move your mouse and it takes a fair amount of time for your cursor to get there.
Vehicle combat is awful. AWFUL. I can't even drive a Scorpion straight ahead
Combat feels very... eh with keyboard and mouse. Probably should have went with a mobile version
Music is good though.

Ok why the hell isn't the 360 getting an xbla version? Is Microsoft retarded? I'm not gonna buy a new os for a game like this so they have made it impossible for me to play. Good job wasting developer resources.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ok why the hell isn't the 360 getting an xbla version? Is Microsoft retarded? I'm not gonna buy a new os for a game like this so they have made it impossible for me to play. Good job wasting developer resources.

You won't but there will be people who will.

There will probably be a version down the line.

I didn't find it by going into the games section, but heres a pro-tip if it hasn't already been mentioned. On the main Windows Store page just start typing, and type "halo" (without quotes) and hit enter. Thats how I was able to find it (in Canada here).

Downloading now.

Xbudz

I made an Xpadder Profile for the Xbox 360 controller, with rumble when you shoot:

3wseVBX.jpg

Download Xpadder: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5869-xpadder.html (May need to be run in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode)
Download Halo Spartan Assault Profile: http://ge.tt/api/1/files/2tff6Bm/0/blob?download *edit: slight change to aim speed*

Buttons:
Right Trigger = Fire Weapon
Left Trigger = Throw Grenade
X Button = Use / Pick up / Get in & out.
Y Button = Switch Weapon
B Button = Melee
Start Button = Menu
Right Bumper = Armor Ability
Left Bumper = Switch Grenades.
Left Analog = Movement
Right Analog = Aiming

It's tricky for menus, but works in-game.
You will probably want to disable the Windows 8 Jump List and Charms to avoid interruption / task switching while playing.

They need to get that controller patch out ASAP.

PC impression:

Works awesome, looks better than Halo Wars, No hickups, no slowdowns, no nothing

i5 laptop with integrated gpu, (sony vaio, stamina mode)

Bsigg12

This makes me want Halo Wars 2.....

But, it's fun! On PC, once you get used to the cursor drag, it's really easy to string kills together.

Playing this on an HTC 8X and for the most part it runs fine. Sometimest it has framedrops when it gets a bit hairy.

Definitely a Halo game - generous helpings of autoaim (which is needed in fairness).

Game certainly looks nice, there are plenty of things going on in the background to look while you're running around. Trying to strafe with WASD feels pretty bad though, the sooner they get controller support in here the better.

zorbsie

Started to play on my surface pro. Noticed that the medals and level score I achieved on the phone showed up on the surface. Didn't think they would sync, a very nice little surprise. Agree with you guys though, controller support as soon as possible!

Xbudz

I really like how Windows 8 seems to install programs automatically on other computers if you have 2 or more Windows 8 devices.

Halo Spartan Assault installed automatically on my Tablet after I installed it on my main PC.

hwalker84

I really like how Windows 8 seems to install programs automatically on other computers if you have 2 or more Windows 8 devices.

Halo Spartan Assault installed automatically on my Tablet after I installed it on my main PC.
Take it back!!! You know we can't like anything about Windows 8....

Dramos

Holy crap, someone at 343 remembered what a Halo game is supposed to look and sound like. Normal sounding Halo weapons and Covies (along with looking the way they're supposed to) is so much better than what they threw together for Halo 4.

Yep, from the looks of it, the game looks really polish. Although, I'm not surprised if there are some performances issues but that's solvable. I can't wait to try it!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
runs on WinRT, something which the 360 does not use. It will be on Xbox One.

Top Bottom