• Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

FelipeMGM
(01-17-2017, 05:26 PM)
EDIT:

Originally Posted by More_Badass

Available to preorder on Steam and GOG now

New trailer

I know a bunch of gaffers are also excited about Little Nightmares (a game that used to be called Hunger). Its coming out April 28th. Here is the PR

RICHMOND, UK – January 17th 2017 – BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment UK and Tarsier Studios are pleased to announce today that LITTLE NIGHTMARES will release on April, 28th in digital and physical format on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

LITTLE NIGHTMARES can now be pre-purchased digitally on PlayStation 4, Xbox One as well as GOG.com and STEAM for PC. By pre-ordering digitally, all players will receive The Scarecrow Sack and the Upside-down Teapot Masks to help Six blend in with the other inhabitants of The Maw. PS4™ and PC users will also receive the original soundtrack in digital format, an exclusive PS4™ theme or a PC wallpaper featuring The Janitor.

A standard boxed version, including the Original Soundtrack, is available at all good video game retailers. The Six Edition is also available for pre-orders as a collector’s edition exclusively at GAME retail, while supplies last. The Six Edition includes a 10 cm high figurine trapped in a themed cage box as well as the original soundtrack composed by Tobias Lilja from Tarsier Studios, an exclusive A3 poster and a sticker board.

Trapped in The Maw with nothing but her wits and a lighter, Six must find light in the darkness and strength in her weakness to survive the attentions of its monstrous residents and escape to the world outside. Be careful as each room is a cell, each resident a threat, and both puzzles to untangle. Hide and sneak from danger, climb your way out and escape the chasing monsters as The Janitor, the new character revealed in The Nine Deaths of Six trailer.

LITTLE NIGHTMARES, will release on April, 28th in digital and physical format on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

Last edited by FelipeMGM; 01-17-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Plumpbiscuit
(01-17-2017, 05:29 PM)
I literally just made a post in another thread about this, I pre-ordered it in a heartbeat. GOG version for me, really looking forward to this game. Gives me lots of Haunting Ground vibes!
Acquiescence
Banned
(01-17-2017, 05:30 PM)
Physical is welcome news. I really hope it's a twisted game.
purseowner
(01-17-2017, 05:31 PM)
That limited edition is fantastic - love the whole aesthetic of this game.
Granjinha
(01-17-2017, 05:33 PM)
HYPE

this looks SO GOOD
chadskin
(01-17-2017, 05:35 PM)
FYI the Six Edition for PC is €34,99: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01N6RXZ3T/

No price yet for the console versions on Amazon.de but I guess it'll be €10 more expensive as usual.
zackmorris
(01-17-2017, 05:36 PM)
Is this a puzzle/platformer? I'm getting a Limbo/Inside vibe from that trailer.

Also this really sucks "By pre-ordering digitally, all players will receive The Scarecrow Sack and the Upside-down Teapot Masks to help Six blend in with the other inhabitants of The Maw."
Mdk7
Sequel dreams killed
by Graham Hopper
(01-17-2017, 05:36 PM)
Absolutely day one, physical edition.
Plumpbiscuit
(01-17-2017, 05:37 PM)

Originally Posted by chadskin

FYI the Six Edition for PC is €34,99: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01N6RXZ3T/

No price yet for the console versions on Amazon.de but I guess it'll be €10 more expensive as usual.

So this isn't GAME exclusive afterall? Or does this only apply to the UK?
FelipeMGM
(01-17-2017, 05:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Plumpbiscuit

So this isn't GAME exclusive afterall? Or does this only apply to the UK?

Only UK I believe
Ikkarus
(01-17-2017, 05:41 PM)
I can't seem to find it on the Game website. :(
sixteen-bit
(01-17-2017, 05:43 PM)
always nice to see a physical release happen
More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjTuW0uQhag

Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
That is MUCH sooner than I expected. I'll be there day 1. Going to watch the new trailer now and post what I think of it after.
More_Badass
(01-17-2017, 05:46 PM)
Very excited for this. The atmosphere and tone is wonderfully creepy
DangerMouse
(01-17-2017, 05:47 PM)
Oh nice, yeah, I remember the teaser for this.
RedFury
(01-17-2017, 05:50 PM)
This just reminds me I'm still waiting for Radio the Universe.

How many names has this game gonna through now?
Dusk Golem
(01-17-2017, 05:53 PM)
Love the music in these trailers. Here was the music from the first trailer in case anyone here never heard it.

I think the game looks charming, and I love the setting, the variety of weird creatures and things in the world... This featured some death scenes cut away from and showed more of the strangeness of the world. I don't want to see too much, but it looks like it's coming together nicely.

Fuck it, I'm pre-ordering. I think I'll end up loving this one to pieces.
More_Badass
(01-17-2017, 05:54 PM)
Interestingly this game is actually a spiritual successor to a cancelled project the team was working on for PS3/360 called The City of Metronome.

From Unseen64:

Ultimadrago
(01-17-2017, 05:55 PM)
Only $20 for Steam version? Does anyone know the purported runtime for this game?
Acquiescence
Banned
(01-17-2017, 05:55 PM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjTuW0uQhag

Maybe it's just me, but that music sounds like a straight rip-off of Sleeping Beauty by Patrick Watson.
Plumpbiscuit
(01-17-2017, 05:56 PM)

Interestingly this game is actually a spiritual successor to a cancelled project the team was working on for PS3/360 called The City of Metronome.

From Unseen64:

Is it wrong to say I'm not sad that this got cancelled providing that this game is as good as it looks? I mean, the art style, sound design, the look of the main character looks alot better than in those screenshots...
Dusk Golem
(01-17-2017, 05:56 PM)

From Unseen64:

Yes, it was them finally putting City of Metronome to the test. This game was also known as Hunger for a long while, then went silent for a year, then resurfaced as Little Nightmares and being published by Namco.

I'll be curious to see a development history with this game one day, it's probably had an absolutely fascinating development tale. I know a developer touched some on it in a piece a few months ago, but I think it's shaped up nicely. Been following it since it was announced as Hunger.
Dusk Golem
(01-17-2017, 05:57 PM)
Also for anyone curious, this is Little Nightmares pre-order bonus:

EDITS: Oops, sorry for the double post... But, pre-order stuff! The masks look cute in my opinion, and I am all over a soundtrack when you pre-order with how I like the OST so far.
Tankard
(01-17-2017, 05:57 PM)
Made my Top 10 Most Antecipated game this year. Been so hyped for it since first day announced as hunger.
Dusk Golem
(01-17-2017, 06:00 PM)

The deed has been done.
More_Badass
(01-17-2017, 06:02 PM)
The masks sound like they arent merely cosmetics, which is interesting. And also hints at there being deeper steath mechanics where you need to disguise yourself and blend in. Unless I'm reading that wrong

Also maybe I'm missed some info, but I find kind of unsettling that I'm unsure if Six is really small or if she is normal sized and this world is some grotesque abattoir for giants

Originally Posted by Dusk Golem

Yes, it was them finally putting City of Metronome to the test. This game was also known as Hunger for a long while, then went silent for a year, then resurfaced as Little Nightmares and being published by Namco.

I'll be curious to see a development history with this game one day, it's probably had an absolutely fascinating development tale. I know a developer touched some on it in a piece a few months ago, but I think it's shaped up nicely. Been following it since it was announced as Hunger.

Yeah, this has been one of my most anticipated games since it was first revealed as Hunger

I actually prefer that name. Partially because it fits the minimalist naming scheme of games like Inside and Limbo, but mainly because it implies some creepy disturbing stuff
Last edited by More_Badass; 01-17-2017 at 06:23 PM.
godofcookery
(01-17-2017, 06:03 PM)

From Unseen64:

!!! That's great to know, i was really looking forward to this game many moons ago. Nice to see the team is still around after all this time and has made something new.
Plumpbiscuit
(01-17-2017, 06:05 PM)
Man, I am slamming that F5 key so much: I'm also gonna pre-order the Sixth Edition for that figurine and collector's box. It's going to look good on my shelf... yum.
Tizoc
(01-17-2017, 06:05 PM)
So is this a horrro game or does it just have a creepy design?
Plumpbiscuit
(01-17-2017, 06:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Tizoc

Creepy, atmospheric, puzzle-solving adventure game with horror elements including a main stalker, and stellar sound design and OST.

Actually come to think of it, it also reminds me of the American McGee's Alice games.
Dusk Golem
(01-17-2017, 06:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Plumpbiscuit

Man, I am slamming that F5 key so much: I'm also gonna pre-order the Sixth Edition for that figurine and collector's box. It's going to look good on my shelf... yum.

I was tempted, but funds are tight and so much this year. ;3; But you'll have to show me how it looks later!

It's a horror game, but an atypical one. Probably not very jump scare ridden and more focused on atmosphere, mood, and a sort of 'creepy fairytale' vibe. Keep in mind my definition of horror is broader than some, but I get the impression the game is focused more on childhood fear type of things rather than being the scariest game around, and creating an interesting and immersive world that is as charming as it is twisted.

For the record, I'd consider INSIDE a horror game, too.
More_Badass
(01-17-2017, 06:08 PM)

Think Inside. Cinematic platformer with stealth, puzzle, and horror elements
Mifec
(01-17-2017, 06:10 PM)
GoG release makes this a full price purchase. Ty devs.
More_Badass
(01-17-2017, 06:15 PM)
This interview is exciting
http://www.onlysp.com/little-nightmares-interview/

- 6 to 8 hours long
- No dialogue
- Sophisticated AI with peripheral vision, last known position and last known sounds, etc

Oh, and seriously, they know how to do some creepy imagery
comshoplesce
(01-17-2017, 06:17 PM)
19,99€ around for STEAM/GOG

and idea for PS4 retail price 24,99/29,99€?
DangerMouse
(01-17-2017, 06:17 PM)

The masks sound like they arent merely cosmetics, which is interesting. And also hints at there being deeper steath mechanics where you need to disguise yourself and blend in. Unless I'm reading that wrong

Also maybe I'm missed some info, but I find kind of unsettling that I'm unsure if Six is really small or if she is normal sized and this world is some grotesque abattoir for giants

Yeah, I'm curious about both of these things.
woodland
(01-17-2017, 06:19 PM)

From Unseen64:

Not too surprising, gives off the same kind of vibe, minus the weird music from the Metronome trailer. Metronome was one of the big threads when I first joined a few years back, surprised to see Little Nightmares not draw more based off its aesthetic and the reception to Inside alone.
MADGAME
(01-17-2017, 06:20 PM)
First time I'm learning of the game but now it's on my radar in a big way. Looks like a fantastic mood/setting game with a unique art style.

Is there an estimated length to complete? I ask because I get disappointed with very short experiences with games I enjoy, such as Abzu.
More_Badass
(01-17-2017, 06:20 PM)

Originally Posted by DangerMouse

Yeah, I'm curious about both of these things.

Well some previews mentioned how the stealth isn't scripted, that if you knock things down accidentally, enemies will go investigate

Originally Posted by MADGAME

First time I'm learning of the game but now it's on my radar in a big way. Looks like a fantastic mood/setting game with a unique art style.

Is there an estimated length to complete? I ask because I get disappointed with very short experiences with games I enjoy, such as Abzu.

Six to eight hours according to an interview last year
Dusk Golem
(01-17-2017, 06:22 PM)

Yeah, this has been one of my most anticipated games since it was first revealed as Hunger

I actually prefer that name. Partially because it fits the minimalist naming scheme of games like Inside and Limbo, but mainly because it implies some crerpy disturbing stuff

I'm curious about the masks too. Have these pre-order ones and the free one from the site. I don't mind if they're purely cosmetic, but interesting if there's more to them.

I think they're purposely being secretive of the possibility that either Six is seeing the world as big or if it's actually huge. But I do know at the very least the game was inspired by the things that seem so big and scary as a child, and part of that is how big the world looks (even if obviously exaggerated here). I have a weird theory about this game, if curious just ask me. I'm not sure how right or wrong it is though.

I originally preferred Hunger myself for similar reasons, but honestly I think Little Nightmares is a LOT easier to search than Hunger (Hunger Games and other things kept on popping up whenever I tried to search for the game originally, couldn't simply search up "Hunger Game" as a result), so I can see why they changed it.

- 6 to 8 hours long
- No dialogue
- Sophisticated AI with peripheral vision, last known position and last known sounds, etc

I couldn't get the link to work for some reason, so here's a transcript:

We’ve been tracking the development of Little Nightmares since the game was initially revealed as Hunger all the way back in early 2015. Following the game’s initial reveal we talked with Tarsier Studios about the game in a lengthy exclusive interview and here we are today, discussing what is now known as Little Nightmares.

I recently sent some questions over to Senior Narrative Designer, Dave Mervik to learn some new details about the game now that it’s further along in development. Before you check out the interview you may want to take a quick look at the initial gameplay reveal trailer.

We hope you enjoy the interview and please let us know what you think of the game in the comments section.

ONLYSP: For our readers that haven’t heard about Little Nightmares yet, would you mind providing a short synopsis of what the game is and what it’s about?

Dave Mervik: Little Nightmares is a suspense-adventure game about a young girl named Six who is trapped in a place called The Maw. It’s not a very nice place to be either, so naturally she wants to escape, and it’s your job to help her do that.

ONLYSP: The last time we talked to you about “Hunger”, now called Little Nightmares, was way back in early 2015. How has the game shaped up since then? Any major changes to the core formula of the game?

Mervik: The core of the game is the same as it was back then. It’s a balanced mix of platforming, hide & sneak, playfulness, and exploration – all drenched in a rather unnerving atmosphere! The only noticeable change since we spoke back then is that the game is farther along now, which means you start to see the finer details that really bring The Maw to life.

ONLYSP: You showed off the game for the first time on IGN back in August. How have people responded to the game so far?

Mervik: People have reacted really positively. Thinking back to those months where we were applying for financial support just so we could make some sort of prototype, to be now hearing the reaction at places like Gamescom, EGX, and Igromir – well, it’s more than a little surreal!

This being a small Swedish company, no-one really wants any of that pre-release hyperbole, we’re just trying to stay honest and give a fair account of what people can expect next Spring. The fact that people are still finding that exciting makes us feel very very happy!

ONLYSP: The monster shown off in the gameplay video acts pretty similar to the AI found in Alien: Isolation, in that it doesn’t seem to be following any predefined paths and reacts to what the player does. Can you go into some more detail on that process?

Mervik: While we’ve kept the antagonist AI relatively simple compared to that of Alien: Isolation, we have made a number of choices that make them feel similarly alive and unpredictable. For example, instead of detection radius, we use a more realistic detection of the player, where we employ a peripheral vision angle calculation to determine whether the player can be seen from the eyes of the AI.

They will also react to player sounds by calculating the physical distance to the sound and if they ‘hear’ it, they will react accordingly. Having ‘seen’ or ‘heard’ the player, the AI will use things like ‘last known position’, ‘last heard sounds’ and ‘predicted sound location’ to search for the player. It’s all so much cleverer than I am, but the effect of it can be felt by everyone!

ONLYSP: Will the narrative play a big part in Little Nightmares, or is it a story that’s more up to player interpretation?

Mervik: I’d say that it’s both. The story of the place is very important, but player interpretations of what that story is may differ from person to person. I mean, we’re not just leaving it totally open; there is a definite narrative drive throughout the game. We just think that it’s way more rewarding when you feel like you’re engaging your brain, rather than sitting there as a passive spectator being told exactly how things are.

ONLYSP: I didn’t notice any dialogue in the gameplay video, is that true throughout the entirety of the game, or will there be any sort of narration?

Mervik: Yeah, there’s no dialogue in the game. That’s also part of this interpretive approach to the storytelling. Dialogue can hide a multitude of sins, and we want to ensure that the story of Little Nightmares exists in the world, not just a few expository cutscenes.

ONLYSP: How many hours of gameplay do you expect players will encounter while playing Little Nightmares.

Mervik: It really depends on how you like to play. We place a lot of emphasis on exploration, and if you make the most of that, you’re going to be in The Maw for a while longer! Right now, though, our estimate is somewhere in the region of 6-8 hours for a playthrough.

ONLYSP: You “finally” announced that the game is coming to the PS4 (also Xbox One and PC), after not correcting us when our original interview with you was published ;). I’m curious as to what your thoughts are on the recent PS4 Pro announcement and how HDR and 4K will affect gaming moving forward.

Mervik: The truth back then was that the platform wasn’t decided, so there was nothing to announce. I think people assumed it was a PS4 exclusive because of our history with Sony, so that was the story that stuck, it just ended up being not actually true! As far as things like PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio goes, it’s certainly an interesting change in the standard console lifecycle.

I’ve been used to being happy with my console for at least five years or so, but now we’re 3 years down the line and already looking at an update. Other than the massive hit on my wallet, I think it’s a positive sign. As a big fan of VR, I’m really happy that it’s being supported in such a significant way by these new machines.

ONLYSP: Since you’re working with VR for your other upcoming title, Statik, is there any chance of some form of VR being implemented in Little Nightmares?

Mervik: We’ve had that question a lot lately and, if I’m honest, I hadn’t really considered it … but it seems everyone else has been! The truth is that I don’t know what we’ll be doing in the future. The focus right now is on making sure that this game is as high quality as possible.

If we don’t manage that, then there’s no point talking about the future at all. But there is a world outside of The Maw, and we would want to tell those stories in the best way possible. If VR turns out to be one of those ways, then I’ll be a happy little camper!

ONLYSP: Anything else you’d like to let us know about Little Nightmares?

Mervik: Yes 😉

Ultimadrago
(01-17-2017, 06:23 PM)

- 6 to 8 hours long
- No dialogue

Not a bad length for the price. I thought it'd be more expensive, but I'll be likely to get it closer to launch now.
hughesta
(01-17-2017, 06:24 PM)

From Unseen64:

Holy shit, I remember reading about this in magazines way back! Wow I didn't expect to feel this way today.
jack_package_200
(01-17-2017, 06:25 PM)
This looks and sounds great.

Might grab a physical version.
DangerMouse
(01-17-2017, 06:25 PM)
City of Metronome looked so neat too.

Well some previews mentioned how the stealth isn't scripted, that if you knock things down accidentally, enemies will go investigate

Nice. Yeah, I just finished reading the interview.

I think they're purposely being secretive of the possibility that either Six is seeing the world as big or if it's actually huge. But I do know at the very least the game was inspired by the things that seem so big and scary as a child, and part of that is how big the world looks (even if obviously exaggerated here). I have a weird theory about this game, if curious just ask me. I'm not sure how right or wrong it is though.

Yeah, that's true. It's cool.

What's your theory? Though I don't know if I should read until after playing! :)
Last edited by DangerMouse; 01-17-2017 at 06:31 PM.
More_Badass
(01-17-2017, 06:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Ultimadrago

Not a bad length for the price. I thought it'd be more expensive, but I'll be likely to get it closer to launch now.

Personally, that's much longer than I was expecting. I was assuming 3-4 hours. These kinds of games are usually pretty lean
Shin-Ra
(01-17-2017, 06:28 PM)
Shamed to admit I forgot about this when considering my most anticipated 2016 list.

I didn't know Namco Bandai Ent. UK were based in Richmond, either.
MADGAME
(01-17-2017, 06:33 PM)

Six to eight hours according to an interview last year

Thanks, missed your previous post stating this.

Now I wait for PS4 preorder availability.
Plumpbiscuit
(01-17-2017, 06:33 PM)

I couldn't get the link to work for some reason, so here's a transcript:

Mervik: The core of the game is the same as it was back then. It’s a balanced mix of platforming, hide & sneak, playfulness, and exploration – all drenched in a rather unnerving atmosphere! The only noticeable change since we spoke back then is that the game is farther along now, which means you start to see the finer details that really bring The Maw to life.

Sounds good, the way it looks is the way it plays. Seeing those long, twisted hands come out the doorway and those big butcher enemies whilst you're this tiny dweeb is gonna be so fun to escape from.

ONLYSP: The monster shown off in the gameplay video acts pretty similar to the AI found in Alien: Isolation, in that it doesn’t seem to be following any predefined paths and reacts to what the player does. Can you go into some more detail on that process?

Mervik: While we’ve kept the antagonist AI relatively simple compared to that of Alien: Isolation, we have made a number of choices that make them feel similarly alive and unpredictable. For example, instead of detection radius, we use a more realistic detection of the player, where we employ a peripheral vision angle calculation to determine whether the player can be seen from the eyes of the AI. They will also react to player sounds by calculating the physical distance to the sound and if they ‘hear’ it, they will react accordingly. Having ‘seen’ or ‘heard’ the player, the AI will use things like ‘last known position’, ‘last heard sounds’ and ‘predicted sound location’ to search for the player. It’s all so much cleverer than I am, but the effect of it can be felt by everyone!

This kind of sounds like how Metal Gear Solid handles stealth, at least the more modern games, where enemies don't detect you as a straight linetrace but more akin to to each guard having their own peripheral that expands the closer you get and less angled you approach. The same with how they search the last spot they heard you at, Assassin's Creed pulls this off too, so I'm looking forward to this AI.

ONLYSP: Will the narrative play a big part in Little Nightmares, or is it a story that’s more up to player interpretation?

Mervik: I’d say that it’s both. The story of the place is very important, but player interpretations of what that story is may differ from person to person. I mean, we’re not just leaving it totally open; there is a definite narrative drive throughout the game. We just think that it’s way more rewarding when you feel like you’re engaging your brain, rather than sitting there as a passive spectator being told exactly how things are.

Yes, YES, YES!! I love this kind of storytelling, especially in horror and RPG games, where you're given story and titbits of lore through the environment, gameplay and how well you're willing to use some thinking to piece things together. Damn, this is gonna be a great game...

ONLYSP: I didn’t notice any dialogue in the gameplay video, is that true throughout the entirety of the game, or will there be any sort of narration?

Mervik: Yeah, there’s no dialogue in the game. That’s also part of this interpretive approach to the storytelling. Dialogue can hide a multitude of sins, and we want to ensure that the story of Little Nightmares exists in the world, not just a few expository cutscenes.

I'm... not entirely sure how I feel about absolutely no dialogue. Even the most minimalist games tend to feature at least a narration whether that be voiced or text. I think it'd be pretty cool if you ran into another survivor and you had an exchange.
Doorakz
(01-17-2017, 06:34 PM)
Why have I never heard of this game? Looks amazing, I'll have to be on the lookout for when it's released.