• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

gundamkyoukai
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:45 PM)
gundamkyoukai's Avatar

Originally Posted by ggx2ac

I asked a question.

It sounds like everyone keeps getting into damage control over Horizon when it did what? 2.6 million in sales worldwide.

Your going to have to wait for LTD to see how massive it is .
Still 2.6 million in 2 weeks is very impressive for a new IP on one platform .
Dynheart
Banned
(04-21-2017, 04:48 PM)
Wait a minute. I read the OP, then read the thread. and get multiple different interpretations.

Ghost Recon is Xbox +PS4 combines, correct?

Zelda is 1.3? 1.4? In the middle? Or is in only around 900k, because that's all that's being considered because of:

Horizon: Sold roughly 650k or 1m retail? I though it was roughly 650k +digital to make it 1 million+. But then I read that Horizon did well to sell 1m+ copies retail, beating out Zelda 900k retail.

I feel like, no matter who is spinning what, people are creating their own narrative to slightly downplay one game and put the other on a pedastal...visa versa. It was a great month (and year) for gaming, can't we celebrate that? Considering all of the death tolling about how the industry is running on fumes, this pretty much proves that is not the case.
Sad Affleck
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:48 PM)
Sad Affleck's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mass Effect

Whining about sales in a sales thread will you get you far.

If you don't care, don't post.

That is not the point of my post.
KingV
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:49 PM)

Originally Posted by thestopsign

So Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has... 3 days of sales for April in NPD? Anyone think it has a chance of top 3 software for the month?

I'm not sure about in April, but I think the combined sales of MK8 and deluxe are probably going to be massive over time. MK8 sold 8 million on Wii U, and I wouldn't be surprised to see deluxe hit that same number over the next few years.
DecoReturns
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:49 PM)
DecoReturns's Avatar
I remember the talk of Horzion hurting Zelda sales and vice versa.
Seems to be little to no crossover like I imagined.

Wonder when these games will get sequel? Zelda is gonna be a while, but Horizon? Think that might happen sooner. Or maybe both these series should have new entries within days of each other for the fun talks lol
Blackleg-sanji1
Goten Enthusiast
(04-21-2017, 04:50 PM)
Blackleg-sanji1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jawbreaker

It's a semantic argument, really. No point in engaging.

I just don't understand. Honestly I'm can't see how any npd person would come in here and give any of you info. Emotions,console loyalty instead of common sense and analytical thinking in sales thread. I just don't get it. There's absolutely no negative spin for any of those games on the list(maybe mass effect) or perhaps I expect to much. It may be a sales thread but it's still the internet
Chobel
I shouldn't make bets because every time I do my tag gets worse
(04-21-2017, 04:51 PM)
Chobel's Avatar

Originally Posted by thestopsign

So Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has... 3 days of sales for April in NPD? Anyone think it has a chance of top 3 software for the month?

It will be #1.
Blackleg-sanji1
Goten Enthusiast
(04-21-2017, 04:52 PM)
Blackleg-sanji1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chobel

It will be #1.

No doubt about it.

My big question is where does persona 5 place
Kill3r7
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:52 PM)
Kill3r7's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chobel

It will be #1.

Agreed. I would be surprised if it wasn't. The attach rate on WiiU was absolutely insane.
black070
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:52 PM)
black070's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chobel

It will be #1.

Most likely, though I'm rooting for Persona 5.
GravityInsanity
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:53 PM)
GravityInsanity's Avatar

Originally Posted by LordOcidax

No, you are wrong... Lot of Gafers said before this thread that Zelda had no chance against Horizon (Bigger usar base + Marketing)... And look what happened. Also asked for a confirmation to the NPD guy. Thats it.. You are the console warrior here, not me... I have both games and i love both.

To be fair, that happened both ways. People were calling Sony stupid for releasing Horizon out in the same week as Zelda.

Even videogamedunkey had a say in it.
https://twitter.com/vgdunkey/status/833747365509083141
LegendofLex
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:53 PM)
LegendofLex's Avatar

Originally Posted by onemanasylum

What?? How is software consumption on PS4 different then the historical console?

As of the end of 2016, its attach rate was bigger than PS2's or Wii's?

That means it's selling more software than any other console in history, which would mean that software consumption is bigger than historical consoles?

There's nothing exotic about these observations.

I'm not saying that PS4 has a bigger install base so of course it sold better. I'm saying PS4 sells games like crazy, and open-world games in particular sell like super crazy, so I'm not at all surprised that its big exclusive open-world game sold like crazy.

It's still great that it did, and still impressive that PS4 sells so much software. But I'm less impressed that it outsold Switch supply than I am that Switch sold as well as it did.

Originally Posted by Jawbreaker

No matter how you spin it, a new, exclusive IP opening at 1m + is an amazing result. It's not something that should ever be expected given past numbers.

Originally Posted by black070

I swear, only on GAF would 1M units of an exclusive new IP sold in one month in NA alone be shrugged off.

Who said I'm shrugging it off? It's a really great result, just not one that surprised me. I would have expected it to sell more than Switch because Switch will, as a new console, obviously would have an insane time reaching the needed supply levels to outsell a big new game like Horizon, new IP or otherwise.

Originally Posted by Kill3r7

I think the pendulum has definitely swung the other way now. Are you seriously saying that you would be shocked that a new IP did not sell 1 million units? In what planet are new console exclusive IPs expected to sell 1 million during their first month of release. Keep in mind that no previous GG game comes even close.

I don't expect every new IP to sell 1 million units.

I did expect Horizon to, though.
Last edited by LegendofLex; 04-21-2017 at 04:57 PM.
onemanasylum
Banned
(04-21-2017, 04:53 PM)

Originally Posted by GravityInsanity

To be fair, that happened both ways. People were calling Sony stupid for releasing Horizon out in the same week as Zelda.

Even videogamedunkey had a say in it.
https://twitter.com/vgdunkey/status/833747365509083141

LOL, people are so stupid.
Crazyorloco
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:53 PM)
Crazyorloco's Avatar

Originally Posted by DecoReturns

I remember the talk of Horzion hurting Zelda sales and vice versa.
Seems to be little to no crossover like I imagined.

Wonder when these games will get sequel? Zelda is gonna be a while, but Horizon? Think that might happen sooner. Or maybe both these series should have new entries within days of each other for the fun talks lol

Yeah I can see horizon having a sequel next year. Or early 2019.

I thinking for zelda we'll just have the DLC to keep us busy. The world is pretty big, im still finding new things lol
Blackleg-sanji1
Goten Enthusiast
(04-21-2017, 04:54 PM)
Blackleg-sanji1's Avatar

Originally Posted by black070

Most likely, though I'm rooting for Persona 5.

Any pr for persona 5 yet? It should at least be on the top 5 right?
KingV
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:54 PM)

Originally Posted by GravityInsanity

To be fair, that happened both ways. People were calling Sony stupid for releasing Horizon out in the same week as Zelda.

Even videogamedunkey had a say in it.
https://twitter.com/vgdunkey/status/833747365509083141

Which, in retrospect, was silly. Obviously Zelda was going to be supply constrained because of Wii U/Switch being hard to find. There were going to be a lot of gamers that couldn't play Zelda even if they wanted to.
NSESN
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:54 PM)
NSESN's Avatar

Originally Posted by DecoReturns

I remember the talk of Horzion hurting Zelda sales and vice versa.
Seems to be little to no crossover like I imagined.

Wonder when these games will get sequel? Zelda is gonna be a while, but Horizon? Think that might happen sooner. Or maybe both these series should have new entries within days of each other for the fun talks lol

I think the next Zelda will be a spin-off or top-down like ALBW. I don't expect a game like Botw until 2020.
onemanasylum
Banned
(04-21-2017, 04:55 PM)

Originally Posted by LegendofLex

As of the end of 2016, its attach rate was bigger than PS2's or Wii's?

That means it's selling more software than any other console in history, which would mean that software consumption is bigger than historical consoles?

I'm not saying that PS4 has a bigger install base so of course it sold better. I'm saying PS4 sells games like crazy, so I'm not at all surprised that its big exclusive open-world game sold like crazy.

It's still great that it did, and still impressive that PS4 sells so much software. But I'm less impressed that it outsold Switch supply than I am that Switch sold as well as it did.





Who said I'm shrugging it off? It's a really great result, just not one that surprised me. I would have expected it to sell more than Switch because Switch will, as a new console, obviously would have an insane time reaching the needed supply levels to outsell a big new game like Horizon, new IP or otherwise.



I don't expect every new IP to sell 1 million units.

I did expect Horizon to, though.

So you're holding Horizon to unrealistic standards for the industry for some reason, got ya.
ggx2ac
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:55 PM)
ggx2ac's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blackleg-sanji1

Is that not good to you honest question

Sure it's good, I'd say it's great if it was a Japanese game doing well in the US like Nier Automata if Nier Automata had hit 1 million.
hanspampel
Banned
(04-21-2017, 04:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Dynheart

Wait a minute. I read the OP, then read the thread. and get multiple different interpretations.

Ghost Recon is Xbox +PS4 combines, correct? yes, but also revenue and including digital

Zelda is 1.3? 1.4? In the middle? Or is in only around 900k, because that's all that's being considered because of: one is zelda total, 900k is zelda on switch only

Horizon: Sold roughly 650k or 1m retail? I though it was roughly 650k +digital to make it 1 million+. But then I read that Horizon did well to sell 1m+ copies retail, beating out Zelda 900k retail. horizon sold over 640k at retail and including digital it sold over 1 million. it did not sold more than zelda at retail and it did not sold more than zelda at all. neither revenue, retail only or including digtal - it beat zelda in digital only and digital attachrate if you want a "win for four spin" ;)

I feel like, no matter who is spinning what, people are creating their own narrative to slightly downplay one game and put the other on a pedastal...visa versa. It was a great month (and year) for gaming, can't we celebrate that? Considering all of the death tolling about how the industry is running on fumes, this pretty much proves that is not the case. yes, people do that

###
Last edited by hanspampel; 04-21-2017 at 05:17 PM.
gundamkyoukai
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:56 PM)
gundamkyoukai's Avatar

Originally Posted by Crazyorloco

Yeah I can see horizon having a sequel next year. Or early 2019.

Even with them already having assets there is no way you going to see a sequel next year or early 2019.
Plus they also suppose to be working on DLC.
Last edited by gundamkyoukai; 04-21-2017 at 04:59 PM.
black070
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:56 PM)
black070's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blackleg-sanji1

Any pr for persona 5 yet? It should at least be on the top 5 right?

It was at 1.5 million shipped + digital WW sales on US launch day, so I have high hopes for it cracking top 5.
LegendofLex
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:58 PM)
LegendofLex's Avatar

Originally Posted by onemanasylum

So you're holding Horizon to unrealistic standards for the industry for some reason, got ya.

Those totally unrealistic standards that were actually accurate? I can't be the only one who thought that Horizon had a really winning formula for sales.
Blackleg-sanji1
Goten Enthusiast
(04-21-2017, 04:59 PM)
Blackleg-sanji1's Avatar

Originally Posted by black070

It was at 1.5 million shipped + digital sales on US launch day.

Worldwide right? Hmmm it should be #4or #5maybe?

Guess that depends on ghost recon and mass effect legs.
Dynheart
Banned
(04-21-2017, 04:59 PM)

Originally Posted by hanspampel

###

Thanks for clearing that up. I read the OP, the info, and went head first into the thread and was side-blinded by confusing console-wars interpretations.
black070
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:00 PM)
black070's Avatar

Originally Posted by hanspampel

###

Horizon PS4 retail + digital > Zelda Switch retail + digital

Originally Posted by Blackleg-sanji1

Worldwide right? Hmmm it should be #4or #5maybe?

Guess that depends on ghost recon and mass effect legs.

Yup WW - updated my post but you were too quick. :p
onemanasylum
Banned
(04-21-2017, 05:00 PM)

Originally Posted by LegendofLex

Those totally unrealistic standards that were actually accurate?

?? Huh? That has nothing to do with what I said. Accurate or not accurate has nothing to do with my point. You are holding Horizon to a different standard to the many other new hyped I{'s for some reason. Anyone can downplay something doing that,
DecoReturns
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:00 PM)
DecoReturns's Avatar
I believe Mario Kart 8 on Wii U had about 400k to 500k sold for NA in its first weekend.
need to find the source, but I do know it was 1.2 million on first weekend worldwide because Nintendo announced it.

So yeah its possbile Mario could lead the charts or at least debut high
jonno394
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:00 PM)
jonno394's Avatar

Originally Posted by black070

It was at 1.5 million shipped + digital WW sales on US launch day, so I have high hopes for it cracking top 5.

That figure is the worldwide figure btw, and includes Japanese sales from last year. So about 1m+ western sales.
LegendofLex
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:01 PM)
LegendofLex's Avatar

Originally Posted by onemanasylum

?? Huh? That has nothing to do with what I said. Accurate or not accurate has nothing to do with my point. You are holding Horizon to a different standard to the many other new hyped I{'s for some reason. Anyone can downplay something doing that,

The reason: I thought it had a lot of potential to sell really well because of the kind of game it was + marketing + the success of its platform at selling lots of games?

And then it did sell really well?

Like, I don't know why you're arguing against someone having confidence in a game and trying to pass that off as "downplaying."
hanspampel
Banned
(04-21-2017, 05:01 PM)

Originally Posted by black070

Horizon PS4 retail + digital > Zelda Switch retail + digital

well yeah, that's also possible (not yet confirmed tho)
could also be wrong, as we don't know how much HZD is above 1m and don't know digital sales for zelda on switch
Last edited by hanspampel; 04-21-2017 at 05:10 PM.
DecoReturns
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:02 PM)
DecoReturns's Avatar

Originally Posted by GravityInsanity

To be fair, that happened both ways. People were calling Sony stupid for releasing Horizon out in the same week as Zelda.

Even videogamedunkey had a say in it.
https://twitter.com/vgdunkey/status/833747365509083141

How? Nintendo announced thier release date two months before launch day.

Horizon had its date down months ago
black070
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:02 PM)
black070's Avatar

Originally Posted by jonno394

That figure is the worldwide figure btw, and includes Japanese sales from last year. So about 1m+ western sales.

Yup, you quoted my updated post. :p
MatPiscatella
NPD Industry Analyst, US Video Games
Don't ask me for numbers.
(04-21-2017, 05:02 PM)
MatPiscatella's Avatar
Horizon did great. What ARE you guys even arguing about anymore.

Originally Posted by SlimySnake

Tell your bosses sending you here was a good thing.

Our "bosses" did no such thing.

We're here because we want to be, and because no one has told us to stop.

We're also here because people in these threads care as much (maybe more) about this stuff as we do, and because people here have good ideas.

If by sharing insights and trying to improve the deliverables mean people keep sharing those ideas then we're good.

But don't mistake us being here as some PR ploy. It's not that. At all. It's a fair trade of ideas and insights.
Last edited by MatPiscatella; 04-21-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Kill3r7
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:04 PM)
Kill3r7's Avatar

Originally Posted by LegendofLex

I don't expect every new IP to sell 1 million units.

I did expect Horizon to, though.

Based on what exactly? Name me other new Sony IP that debuted that high? The only two I can think of are GT and GoW.
jonno394
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:04 PM)
jonno394's Avatar

Originally Posted by black070

Yup, you quoted my updated post. :p

Lol I'm sure when i clicked quote it was the old one :p
gundamkyoukai
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:04 PM)
gundamkyoukai's Avatar

Originally Posted by jonno394

That figure is the worldwide figure btw, and includes Japanese sales from last year. So about 1m+ western sales.

Is there any stock problems for the game in the USA ?
We know that in the UK in drop off the weekly chart since no one can buy it lol.
jayu26
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:06 PM)
jayu26's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kill3r7

Based on what exactly? Name me other new Sony IP that debuted that high? The only two I can think of are GT and GoW.

Last of us if we are including digital.
LegendofLex
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:06 PM)
LegendofLex's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kill3r7

Based on what exactly? Name me other new Sony IP that debuted that high? The only two I can think of are GT and GoW.

Based on:

- Open world being like marketing crack in today's industry (same reason I'm bullish about Zelda long term)
- PS4 having a ridiculous attach rate (bigger than PS2 or Wii) meaning people are spending lots of money on games
- Games having much more front-loaded sales in 2017 than in the PS2 generation (how many "fastest selling ever" records have been broken this generation?)
- Horizon's marketing being really, really good
Welfare
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:08 PM)
Welfare's Avatar

Originally Posted by MatPiscatella

Our "bosses" did no such thing.

We're here because we want to be, and because no one has told us to stop.

We're also here because people in these threads care as much (maybe more) about this stuff as we do, and because people here have good ideas.

If by sharing insights and trying to improve the deliverables mean people keep sharing those ideas then we're good.

But don't mistake us being here as some PR ploy. It's not that. At all. It's a fair trade of ideas and insights.



/s

Seriously, it is great to read that OP. So much information with lots to discuss. Thanks for taking the time to come here.

Also you guys arguing over Horizon are crazy.
joecanada
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:11 PM)
joecanada's Avatar

Originally Posted by LegendofLex

As of the end of 2016, its attach rate was bigger than PS2's or Wii's?

That means it's selling more software than any other console in history, which would mean that software consumption is bigger than historical consoles?

There's nothing exotic about these observations.

I'm not saying that PS4 has a bigger install base so of course it sold better. I'm saying PS4 sells games like crazy, and open-world games in particular sell like super crazy, so I'm not at all surprised that its big exclusive open-world game sold like crazy.

It's still great that it did, and still impressive that PS4 sells so much software. But I'm less impressed that it outsold Switch supply than I am that Switch sold as well as it did.





Who said I'm shrugging it off? It's a really great result, just not one that surprised me. I would have expected it to sell more than Switch because Switch will, as a new console, obviously would have an insane time reaching the needed supply levels to outsell a big new game like Horizon, new IP or otherwise.



I don't expect every new IP to sell 1 million units.

I did expect Horizon to, though.

Where does it say attach rate for any genre or specific game is higher ? How do you know this doesn't just mean there's more games and more competition than ever for exclusives ... Your link doesn't show any reason why exclusives should sell higher than in the past .
olag
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:12 PM)
olag's Avatar
Everyone here focusing on Horizon and BOTW when they both will probably have good legs over the next couple of months.

What I want to know is whether or not EA are happy with MEA's current sales(30% below ME3 if Im remembering correctly).Is it going to remain in the charts or is it going to fall off going forward?
ethomaz
Banned
(04-21-2017, 05:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Zedark

Retail is around 648k (was said to be twice the previous best-selling GG game Killzone 2 at 324k).

It is not... it is over twice... that is why I guessed 800k+on prediction based on PR.

Originally Posted by jayu26

No. It looks like it sold 30-40% digitally, so retail is not close to 1m. Unless I am missing a joke.

800k + 30% = 1040k.

Yeap retail is close to 1m.
Last edited by ethomaz; 04-21-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Obliterator
cousin investments
(04-21-2017, 05:13 PM)
Obliterator's Avatar
How are we this far in the thread and people are STILL arguing over Horizon. It's a huge success, there is no counter argument. That's just fact.

I wonder how close Wildlands is to 2 million. I think it's likely close including digital and PC
Blackleg-sanji1
Goten Enthusiast
(04-21-2017, 05:13 PM)
Blackleg-sanji1's Avatar

Originally Posted by olag

Everyone here focusing on Horizon and BOTW when they both will probably have good legs over the next couple of months.

What I want to know is whether or not EA are happy with MEA's current sales(30% below ME3 if Im remembering correctly).Is it going to remain in the charts or is it going to fall off going forward?

That's where I'm at. I can't imagine it holds very well at all with the bad word of mouth, or perhaps I underestimate the mass effect name

Originally Posted by Obliterator

How are we this far I the thread and people are STILL arguing over Horizon. It's a huge success, there is no counter argument. That's just fact.

I wonder how close Wildlands is to 2 million. I think it's likely close including digital and PC

Ubisoft gotta be stopped lol have they had an actual bomb this gen
onemanasylum
Banned
(04-21-2017, 05:15 PM)

Originally Posted by LegendofLex

Based on:

- Open world being like marketing crack in today's industry (same reason I'm bullish about Zelda long term)
- PS4 having a ridiculous attach rate (bigger than PS2 or Wii) meaning people are spending lots of money on games
- Games having much more front-loaded sales in 2017 than in the PS2 generation (how many "fastest selling ever" records have been broken this generation?)
- Horizon's marketing being really, really good

Easy to say this after the fact, no one was saying this months ago when the most people were predicting was far lower then what it did. The Link you posted also does nothing to help your argument.
Kill3r7
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:15 PM)
Kill3r7's Avatar

Originally Posted by olag

Everyone here focusing on Horizon and BOTW when they both will probably have good legs over the next couple of months.

What I want to know is whether or not EA are happy with MEA's current sales(30% below ME3 if Im remembering correctly).Is it going to remain in the charts or is it going to fall off going forward?

Probably not but to be fair ME3 had an additional 15 days of tacking. So who really knows? Unless the DLC is amazing I doubt the game will have long legs.
GravityInsanity
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:16 PM)
GravityInsanity's Avatar

Originally Posted by DecoReturns

How? Nintendo announced thier release date two months before launch day.

Horizon had its date down months ago

Yes, during the Switch reveal and they also gave us one of the greatest trailers ever for Zelda plus a release date of March 3rd which was also on the same week as Horizon. That's when the "Horizon is dead" or "Zelda is dead" started. Both games are a success now.
RootCause
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:17 PM)
RootCause's Avatar
My goodness! How does Wildlands compare to previous entries in the series? I don't recall previous entries selling that well.

Originally Posted by GravityInsanity

Yes, during the Switch reveal and they also gave us one of the greatest trailers ever for Zelda plus a release date of March 3rd which was also on the same week as Horizon. That's when the "Horizon is dead" or "Zelda is dead" started. Both games are a success now.

"Sent out to die" Guy got it wrong. :P
Obliterator
cousin investments
(04-21-2017, 05:17 PM)
Obliterator's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blackleg-sanji1


Ubisoft gotta be stopped lol have they had an actual bomb this gen

You know that's a good question, but honestly I don't think they've had a single AAA bomb this generation. They've had a few underperform at launch (Syndicate and Watch Dogs 2) but they've also noted that those games had strong legs and ended up successful.

I don't think they've had a single big budget AAA game this gen we could classify as a "bomb"

Originally Posted by RootCause

My goodness! How does Wildlands compare to previous entries in the series? I don't recall previous entries selling that well.

Best ever launch for Ghost Recon and 2nd largest Clancy launch ever behind Division.

Thread Tools