Tom Nook
(04-21-2017, 05:48 PM)
Target should play this music on the overhead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG76TYOQ_08
Rizific
Hey, that's pretty cool.
Kirye
Tragedy is a tool for the living to gain wisdom, not a guide by which to live.

Originally Posted by Kouriozan

Proof it's working :p

In all fairness I go once a week anyway. But now i'll be on the lookout for one with the special carts.
NOLA_Gaffer

Originally Posted by True Fire

Is it just me, or is MK8D getting more fanfare than MK8?

Has NeoGAF discussed the possibility of Deluxe outselling the original yet?

If the Switch can surpass the Wii U's hardware sales, I don't see why not.

MK8 outsold Double Dash already and that was on a fraction of the userbase.
Skittzo0413
(04-21-2017, 05:49 PM)
Oh god teenage me would've gone nuts for this.

Originally Posted by borghe

Switch will likely be at over 25% of Wii U's install base before Summer, and over half of it by the end of the year.. My guess is MK8DX will have matched MK8's sales within less than 18 months.

If that WSJ report of 16m units being manufactured in FY17 is true, and you add up the 2.4m units sold in March, then it's very possible they get near that 18.4 million target by next April, though likely a good amount less accounting for the delay between production and shipment. That would likely mean >10-13m by the end of the calendar year, which would basically be matching Wii U's LTD.

That's assuming they continue to sell out immediately and supply never catches up with demand, which I guess would be the best case scenario and of course not guaranteed. I think 50% Wii U's LTD by the end of 2017 is a quite likely scenario, and more is probably likely too.
Realeza
Banned
(04-21-2017, 05:51 PM)
Looking forward to see how this performs. Kart will be fucking massive.
Neiteio
(04-21-2017, 05:51 PM)
I'm going to try stealing one of those shopping carts, and their employees will give chase in their own shopping carts with sirens and piranha plants
AlexFlame116
(04-21-2017, 05:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Neiteio

I'm going to try stealing one of those shopping carts, and their employees will give chase in their own shopping carts with sirens and piranha plants

Make sure you record it please!
NOLA_Gaffer
(04-21-2017, 05:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Realeza

Looking forward to see how this performs. Kart will be fucking massive.

Unfortunately the Switch's current userbase is going to prevent "massive" sales, but it'll certainly been an evergreen title for the Switch's entire generation.
Inferno313
Banned
(04-21-2017, 05:54 PM)
Switch-Era Nintendo feels like a whole new company when it comes to their approach to marketing. Good shit.
GamePlay Johnny
(04-21-2017, 05:54 PM)
If they're putting this much money into marketing, they gotta have some stock saved up, right? RIGHT NINTENDO?
Mpl90
Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
(04-21-2017, 05:55 PM)
Total number of Target stores - 1,806
Target stores participating in this initiative - 650+
% of Target stores participating - 36+%
Gotdatmoney

Originally Posted by Skittzo0413

I think 50% Wii U's LTD by the end of 2017 is a quite likely scenario, and more is probably likely too.

6.5 million? This is going to be at like 10 million but the end of the year.
Calm Mind

Originally Posted by Neiteio

Be sure to give them the slip.

Gurrry
(04-21-2017, 05:56 PM)
Ive always wondered what those weird ass red balls outside of target were for.

Now we know. They were prepared for this moment:

Tom Nook
(04-21-2017, 05:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Mpl90

I'm sure the ones in San Jose, CA will get the theme.
Dark Cloud

Originally Posted by Mpl90

Better mostly be the big city Targets.
titiklabingapat
Target also seems to be getting a bigger share of the Switches allocated for the US as well for its size.
udivision
I guess there's no reason for Nintendo not to treat this like the "Next Big Thing" for them... because it is, and it's going to be a sales monster.

Going from the Wii U to the Switch is one of the weirdest hardware transitions.
Skittzo0413
(04-21-2017, 05:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Gotdatmoney

6.5 million? This is going to be at like 10 million but the end of the year.

If it continues to sell like it is now then yeah, possibly more than 10 million. I'm just saying 6.5 million is a very likely floor for expectations. Higher is likelier in my opinion.
Polygonal_Sprite
(04-21-2017, 05:58 PM)

Originally Posted by schuelma

It appears Nintendo is going all out with MK8. Hope they have upped supply for the next few weeks.

They're on a roll with Switch advertising and marketing. This really has the potential to be the next Wii imo.
Amory
(04-21-2017, 05:59 PM)
Jeez. Pushing it like it's a new game or something
James Scott
Banned
While I imagine it'll do well, being labeled as a re-release might not sit too well as a new entry would.
It'll be an evergreen title, but I'm not sure if it'll outsell Wii U's best selling game so easily since it already sold 8M units.
Depends on how big Switch gets, I imagine.
shira
I hope Target Canada does the same
Dark Cloud
(04-21-2017, 06:01 PM)

Originally Posted by James Scott

While I imagine it'll do well, being labeled as a re-release might not sit too well as a new entry would.
It'll be an evergreen title, but I'm not sure if it'll outsell Wii U's best selling game so easily since it already sold 8M units.

It's a new release to many people. It can easily outdo 8 million.
TS-08
(04-21-2017, 06:03 PM)

Being a rerelease does have an effect, but that effect is largely negated by releasing on a more popular system with a ton of content. The Switch doesn't have to even be that big to think Deluxe will easily pass the original. Even if it sells 30 million in its lifetime (which would not be good and I think it will do much better), the Switch will still be at nearly 20 million more units sold than the Wii U. That's a lot of people who didn't buy 8.
Regiruler

Originally Posted by jonno394

Sold 1.2m worldwide in its first 4 days. I think matching it is very possible.

It's an old game and there's a large amount of overlap with the current userbase, not to mention it literally came with another game for free.
Skittzo0413

This is the game that showcases how the Switch's hardware is unique and improved, probably moreso than any other game coming. You have:

- portable HD Mario Kart
- instant out of the box split screen multiplayer
-- at home
-- on the go/at a friends house
- traditional console style online kart
- local wireless (ad-hoc) play with multiple Switches, super quick and easy Mario Kart LAN parties
- optional motion/tilt controls with all controllers

I think this will be the #1 selling Switch game ever, unless a MK9 comes during this Switch's lifetime which I doubt. As long as the Switch continues to sell well this will sell very well alongside it.

It will also get a huge boost by being the obvious bundle game this holiday (and beyond likely).
whatever6352
Haha that's pretty awesome. I might visit the Target's in my area to see if they're doing this.
marc^o^
Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

Originally Posted by udivision

Going from the Wii U to the Switch is one of the weirdest hardware transitions.

It'd not that different than the Gamecube to Wii transition. Actually pretty similar.
Burdmayn
(04-21-2017, 06:04 PM)

Though people like us on Gaf know that MK8D is a re-release, I really wonder how it'll look to new customers. For all intents and purposes, Nintendo is acting like this is a brand new game.
mclem

Originally Posted by DrFunk

I want that cement Mario head to go rouge, dislodge, and cause some damage

Photoshoppers, have fun.
KingBroly
Banned

Originally Posted by NateDrake

ToysR'Us had a pretty nice Mario Kart 8 Deluxe display a couple of weeks back, but Target is lapping them with this promo.

We need a new Polygon chart. Switch has the lowest install-base of any Nintendo hardware to get a Mario Kart, thus it will be the lowest selling Mario Kart game. /s

Let's see if I can channel my inner Polygon

~2.5 million Switch sales
~MK8 had a 70% attach rate on Wii U
- Factor in it's a Port
~900k copies sold lifetime
bman94
Jesus, Nintendo is promoting the re-release 100 more than the original release.
Tom Nook Sawyer
(04-21-2017, 06:05 PM)

Originally Posted by shira

That would be very bad news for the Switch lol
Dark Cloud

Originally Posted by marc^o^

It'd not that different than the Gamecube to Wii transition. Actually pretty similar.

Yep. You hit it on the mark.
Jawbreaker
This is really cool.
True Fire
(04-21-2017, 06:06 PM)

Originally Posted by shira

They're too busy promoting the Vita
mavericktopgun
(04-21-2017, 06:07 PM)

I dream of a future where most gamers have a Switch, and starting Mario Kart LAN tournaments becomes a casual thing.

Yes please.

New Marketing:

STOP WAR - PLAY MARIO KART
NOLA_Gaffer
(04-21-2017, 06:07 PM)

Originally Posted by bman94

Jesus, Nintendo is promoting the re-release 100 more than the original release.

I dunno about that. Mario Kart 8 had a happy meal promotion, which is about as big as you can get, plus Nintendo was giving out free games for purchasing Mario Kart 8 as well, plus other stuff I'm forgetting.

I dream of a future where most gamers have a Switch, and starting Mario Kart LAN tournaments becomes a casual thing.

I feel like you're overestimating Nintendo's appeal to the average videogame player.

Anyone know if there's a list of Target stores that have this overlay?
Jonneh3003
Banned
(04-21-2017, 06:09 PM)

Originally Posted by NOLA_Gaffer

I dunno about that. Mario Kart 8 had a happy meal promotion, which is about as big as you can get, plus Nintendo was giving out free games for purchasing Mario Kart 8 as well, plus other stuff I'm forgetting.

I feel like you're overestimating Nintendo's appeal to the average videogame player.

That free games deal was amazing
mavericktopgun
(04-21-2017, 06:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Regiruler

It's an old game and there's a large amount of overlap with the current userbase, not to mention it literally came with another game for free.

Most people don't know that there has been a Nintendo console between Wii and Switch lol.

MK8DX will sell a shitton.
marc^o^
Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
(04-21-2017, 06:10 PM)

Originally Posted by NOLA_Gaffer

That's just a cool dream :)
modsbox
(04-21-2017, 06:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Jaded Alyx

Come on, let's not act like Nintendo's entire marketing strategy and campaign for the Wii wasn't completely on point.

They completely dropped the ball with the Wii U though.

That's fair. I still think the device sold itself more than they nailed it with marketing. The name for example was and still is horrible.

And since then? man it has been rough. 3DS naming and launch was a mess. 2DS as a product was further evidence of that. Wii U was a total disaster of course, New 3DS both the product and the naming was nearly as bad. Nintendo had really been on a roll of awful marketing, so the fact that Switch has been so good is a shocking (and welcome) turn of events.
Mr. Poolman
(04-21-2017, 06:11 PM)

Originally Posted by SodiumBenzoate

Never fails to piss off the data analyst in me.
sam12
(04-21-2017, 06:11 PM)
How does Nintendo get away with repeating the same games time and time again. Props to them for having people buy the same stuff over and over again
Dark Cloud
(04-21-2017, 06:12 PM)

Originally Posted by modsbox

That's fair. I still think the device sold itself more than they nailed it with marketing. The name for example was and still is horrible.

And since then? man it has been rough. 3DS naming and launch was a mess. 2DS as a product was further evidence of that. Wii U was a total disaster of course, New 3DS both the product and the naming was nearly as bad. Nintendo had really been on a roll of awful marketing, so the fact that Switch has been so good is a shocking (and welcome) turn of events.

PLEASE don't respond to this derailment of the topic.
NOLA_Gaffer
(04-21-2017, 06:12 PM)

Originally Posted by sam12

How does Nintendo get away with repeating the same games time and time again. Props to them for having people buy the same stuff over and over again

mavericktopgun
(04-21-2017, 06:13 PM)

Originally Posted by sam12

They make good games.
SORRY, great games.
AndrewDean84xX
Banned
(04-21-2017, 06:13 PM)
That's pretty neat.