• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

Xater said:
WTF?

I jsut bought the game but can't paly at all. I get thrown out of the lobby or I am stuck in it for all eternity. This is horrible so far.

Yep...couldn't play at all tonight either =(

Doel

MorisUkunRasik said:
Should I wait until zipper puts out their socom?
For the last time, Zipper isn't making a SOCOM game.

And the servers were down for maintenance last night. For the record, the game was flawless since Friday night.

It's just amazing the phases this thread is going through. When the servers aren't experiencing overload, its all "This game is so fun! I love it!!", yet when it's experiencing overload the posts turn to "I'm selling it on EBay, this game sucks!".

Christ people, have some perspective. The game hasn't even been out for a week, its been experiencing server-overload, its going to take at least a week to fix it completely.

Liberty4all

Banned
Doel said:
For the last time, Zipper isn't making a SOCOM game.

And the servers were down for maintenance last night. For the record, the game was flawless since Friday night.

It's just amazing the phases this thread is going through. When the servers aren't experiencing overload, its all "This game is so fun! I love it!!", yet when it's experiencing overload the posts turn to "I'm selling it on EBay, this game sucks!".

Christ people, have some perspective. The game hasn't even been out for a week, its been experiencing server-overload, its going to take at least a week to fix it completely.

I agree with Doel. The whining in some of these posts is pathetic.

All online games go through this. Look at Warhawk ... it had the same issues and it's now considered one of the best online games on PSN bar none.

For the record I played for several hours last night. Got in easily and it was completely lag free. I realize this hasn't been everyone's experience but trust me when I say whatever the connection issues are they WILL be fixed.

I should also add that the game itself is awesome. Somebody else in this thread said it's the "anti CoD4" hehe and yes that's kind of true. :D

Headhunter

Neo Member
Bamelin said:
I should also add that the game itself is awesome. Somebody else in this thread said it's the "anti CoD4" hehe and yes that's kind of true. :D

QFT, I only played the beta, but this term just hits it about right. Its right the opposite compared to COD4. Sure there are still guns there, but thats it. SOCOM is much more realistic, and every step can be your last.

I want to buy it, but there are so many games released right now, so I push it back... Maybe around December I will get it...

JB1981

Bamelin said:
I agree with Doel. The whining in some of these posts is pathetic.

All online games go through this. Look at Warhawk ... it had the same issues and it's now considered one of the best online games on PSN bar none.

For the record I played for several hours last night. Got in easily and it was completely lag free. I realize this hasn't been everyone's experience but trust me when I say whatever the connection issues are they WILL be fixed.

Probably has more to do with the fact that this game was beta-tested like crazy, was patched about 5 times during the beta to 'fix' the issues, yet those issues still exist on release day and have not been resolved. This is an ONLINE-ONLY game and the online is broken.

Perhaps it should have been delayed.

Nos_G

The game is great and captures the feel of Socom2 really well, however, the game still needs a lot of work in terms of matching it.
Right now, it seems like this is a retail beta of some sort. Here are my issues with the game:

-Let players get into the menus to tinker around even when the game can't connect to the servers.
-The only option in the briefing room is custom games and the lack of any sort of community/clan lobby room is a downer. Where's my party mode and calendar?!?
-There is still an intermittent pause while in-game, making sniping a tougher chore than usual. I get outsniped by STG or IW with a scope too often.
-Maps with LOTS of foliage.

That's it for now, I'm just cranky because I can't play right now.

Oh and all the new clan members need to go back to their armory and ditch the commando gear and put on your seal armor. I'm working on adding more of you guys, but it takes time since I have problems getting on the game for the most part.

alejob

Yeah it probably should've been delayed a couple of weeks. But that's OK, I preordered mine on amazon and it won't get here til Wednesday. I hope they have a patch out by then to iron out this bugs. Got me my first HDTV too. Can't wait to get this thing going.

Eccocid

ok i am new to SOCOM i have never played any SOCOM game before.

I loved the gameplay, i am ok with it but one thing that strikes me is graphics! Is socom something like gameplay over graphics? I am not a gfx whore its just they look unpolished. A huge screen tearing keep going all the time, character textures are not loading very well and frame rate is hoppy poppy.

Doel

JB1981 said:
Probably has more to do with the fact that this game was beta-tested like crazy, was patched about 5 times during the beta to 'fix' the issues, yet those issues still exist on release day and have not been resolved. This is an ONLINE-ONLY game and the online is broken.

Perhaps it should have been delayed.
Actually, all those issues are gone. The only issue now is server overload.

Nice try though.

Triz

no, at times SOCOM is unplayable with all the errors. I have not had these kinds of issues in "all" my online games. I play online to play with friends and you know what? Socom makes that near impossible.

JB1981

Doel said:
Actually, all those issues are gone. The only issue now is server overload.

Nice try though.

So the online works but it doesn't work because of server load issues? Seems like a lot of people are experiencing a non-working game. I know you're a Socom diehard, but you can't deny how difficult its been for many people to just simply sit down and play this game.

tuco11

"The only issue now is server overload."

You forgot the issue of the game coming out without features listed on the back of the box.

oneHeero

Eccocid said:

I loved the gameplay, i am ok with it but one thing that strikes me is graphics! Is socom something like gameplay over graphics? I am not a gfx whore its just they look unpolished. A huge screen tearing keep going all the time, character textures are not loading very well and frame rate is hoppy poppy.
Gameplay over graphics. That is what socom was always about.

Pallaris

Eccocid said:

wow, so the final engine performance really is like all those shitty pre release trailers. I knew something was dodgy about this game from the beta. If they can fix these issues with patches I might still take a look but framerate and screen-tearing = no buy.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Kabuki Waq said:
its also a nice way for fanboys to excuse obviously lazy devs or rushed products.

yeah if they did it once...but they did it like 6 times between two developers. Sometimes i wonder if the word SOCOM is like one of those magic words that fuck with your brain. When people hear it they create shitty graphics engines.

Doel

JB1981 said:
So the online works but it doesn't work because of server load issues? Seems like a lot of people are experiencing a non-working game. I know you're a Socom diehard, but you can't deny how difficult its been for many people to just simply sit down and play this game.
You said that they didn't fix any of the issues with the beta, and I was pointing out that your statement was completely false. The game works absolutely perfect when its not experiencing server overload. It was godly on Friday night. The bugs and such that were in the beta are gone.

spwolf

Pallaris said:
wow, so the final engine performance really is like all those shitty pre release trailers. I knew something was dodgy about this game from the beta. If they can fix these issues with patches I might still take a look but framerate and screen-tearing = no buy.

no it is not... i have yet to see an screen tear of framerate drop... wait, i saw it when i played on 32 player servers, probably due to laggy connection. Otherwise, it looks good and behaves well.

spwolf

and except for first day, game can be played - i didnt have any issues yesterday whatsoever, and that was with 20,000 players playing at the same time.

Doel

Ken Masters said:
where the hell are the reviews for this game?
Been answered about 10 times. Search function is your friend.

The game was sent out on monday and tuesday, due to the game needing to be patched and has had server issues almost the whole week. So obviously they need some quality time with the game before being able to review it.

spwolf

p.s. slantsix had server side update next day after issues started showing... So the guys are on top of it.

And I played another game right now without any issues again.

So has anyone solved the problem of why some people can't pair via USB? I just got the red ring and now green ring for two seconds.

EDIT: NVM just figured out that you have to use the usb port directly on the headset. Didn't even know it was there.

Doel

dork said:
any private gaf servers up. I need to play with some friendly people to get used to the game
Everyone on the game is friendly. It's actually quite amazing how strangers work together in the game and pretty much everyone is wearing a mic.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
While playing some games yesterday, Teepo and I tested the proximity chat and it works. If you talk to people near you without pressing the talk button on the controller, you will hear them speak only through your TV speakers and not through the headset. This works with the opposing side too.

I don't know if this is a glitch too since I didn't play the beta, but if you play multiple games in a succession, I lost the ability to hear some people in the lobby and in the game speak with their headset. What worked for me was to turn off the headset and turn it back on and I was able to hear and talk to my teammates again. You will know if your teammates can't hear you if you press the talk button on the controller and you don't hear the little chime/ring sound.

Xater

No w I was able to paly a few games and when a game starts it's really fun. Brings back the Socom 2 feeling for me. The only thing that bugged was that a few times the game froze for a split second during gameplay. This was no slowdown more like a quick loss of the connection maybe?

dork

Banned
I'm going to play later if it works for me, after some R2, I can't remember is their ranks/xp type stuff on this game? I didn't do to much research I do know its fun :p

Played it for a little while this morning, and probably won't give it that much more time. Getting into a game is a bit of a pain in the ass, and once you're in it's not all that fun.

Really bizarre map design with a lot of areas that wreck the movement flow. (dead ends, can't see, end up in a spot where you need to climb down a ladder.) The third person camera really breaks down in close quarters indoor combat and makes it really hard to find targets.

Baha

I just got the bundle today ($49.99 @ BestBuy in Toronto). Tbh I bought this for the bt headset but I'm gonna give the game a chance. If I'm sold on it I'll buy it on the PSN store and sell my physical copy (getting lbp, r2 & VC soon and I'd rather swap between 3 discs instead of 4).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hey Doel, let me ask ya...as someone who is completely new to the SOCOM experience, is this game really worth jumping into? Or is it a bit too "hardcore"?

zedge

I am not sure whats worse.. people making excuses for the problems or the fact that they seem to accept them as being normal. Since when it is acceptable for so called complete retail game to be released in this state? I am not talking a few bugs or glitches here, I am talking not even fucking playable..pathetic. Jesus.

chubigans said:
Hey Doel, let me ask ya...as someone who is completely new to the SOCOM experience, is this game really worth jumping into? Or is it a bit too "hardcore"?

I'm new to the Socom online stuff (had really only played SP in past games), and I'd say don't bother unless you want to rent or something to make sure.

oneHeero

chubigans said:
I played a little bit of S2, and I def like this game. The gamplay is solid. Idk why so many ppl are having problems, this is my 2nd time online and I had no problems logging in and getting into a room. No lag and playing 4v4.

Also anyone know if its a glitch when someone has their head painted white and the number 1000 in red along the back of their head? We asked the guy who had it but he doesnt know wtf we are talking about.

JB1981

chubigans said:
Oh, it's very hardcore but the community has seemed pretty cool so far. It also has a pretty steep learning curve - you will get owned. A lot.

G-Bus

Banned
Just pre-ordered. Still unsure if I'll keep the game or not. I really only needed the headset. I'll give it a shot but will probably end up selling it when R2 comes out.

dork

Banned
Im asking a really stupid sounding question.

Can you get ranks in unranked games?
It sounds dumb but, like in cod4..you can level up without being in ranked games, is what im asking

slider

Hmm, can't be asked to read the whole thread. But it seems this is dividing opinions.

As a MP focused experience, how does it compare to my favourite... Warhawk? As much fun? Are the majority online really hardcore players? I like my online a little less intense.

I think in the end I'll probably pick it up - with the BT bundle it doesn't make sense (to me) not to.

dork

Banned
playing my first game now, 8v8 went 9-2 or so

i love it, other than the lag, it got me killed when i was trying to win it for the team :(

M_A_C

slider said:
Hmm, can't be asked to read the whole thread. But it seems this is dividing opinions.

As a MP focused experience, how does it compare to my favourite... Warhawk? As much fun? Are the majority online really hardcore players? I like my online a little less intense.

I think in the end I'll probably pick it up - with the BT bundle it doesn't make sense (to me) not to.

I've never played Socom online before, and I'm doing pretty well. I've got a 2-1 k/d ratio. I also played some CoD4 last night also, and I was getting owned, so I wouldn't worry about it being to hardcore.

I really like the large levels and pace when compared to CoD4. Everyone isn't just running around like idiots, you can take your time, find a good spot, etc.

Doel

chubigans said:
Everyone starts off new. There are a lot of noobies on the game too, so it's not like you'd be alone. The great thing about the game is that the community is fantastic. Practically everyone wears a mic and is communicating. That will help you out a lot especially in situations where you aren't sure what you're supposed to be doing.

But it's also one of those games that reward you with the time you put into it. The more you play it, join a clan, learn the maps, develop strategies, the more fun you will have. I say it's definitely more pick up and play then SOCOM 1 & 2, but not as hop-in hop-out as CoD4.

To me, CoD4 is easy to get into but really doesn't have much depth in comparison to SOCOM, which is why after 2 months of CoD4 I got so sick of it and had no interest in playing it again. So while you might have fun jumping into CoD4 for a few matches, the fun just doesn't hold up over a longer period of time. While with SOCOM, the hours will and do melt away like nothing. You'll look up at the time and realize you'd been playing for 3 hours straight, and still want keep playing.

The comparison I use is Counter-Strike. If you like Counter-Strike then you will probably enjoy SOCOM. It's a bit of an arcadier version and personally I think the SOCOM formula is better then Counter-Strikes as it takes the round-based system, gets rid of the, imo ridiculous, purchase your weapon system, sets it in 3rd person, and gives your character more freedom to explore the maps/find hidden edges to snipe from/etc.

RotBot

Maggot9 said:
Can someone explain the logic in having to install the game to your drive when you buy the disc please.
I don't think it's the full game, based on the size. It's just like all the other mandatory install games.

Xater

Maggot9 said:
Can someone explain the logic in having to install the game to your drive when you buy the disc please.

So you don't just rent the game and get it for 5 bucks? I don't know how much it cost's to rent a game in the US but that's one really good reason.

KGKK

Banned
So just bought the game, downloading the patch and charging the headset as we speak, cant wait! So to pair for HQ mode all I have to do connect it via usb on the headset dock right?

Top Bottom