• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Twig

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Look, I don't know if you had a point in this post, but I only read the first five words, and have decided that they must be indicative of a post that isn't up to snuff. Now, maybe the other words in this post had something to say, but I've only looked at the first four words and made my decision as those.
Well done, my friend. Well done.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
ShockingAlberto said:
Look, I don't know if you had a point in this post, but I only read the first five words, and have decided that they must be indicative of a post that isn't up to snuff. Now, maybe the other words in this post had something to say, but I've only looked at the first four words and made my decision as those.
clap.gif

Shiine

Jackson, i got a question.
Will you be able to type in like: "Color Red", and then get the color so you can color things like, animals, houses and stuff?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
ShockingAlberto said:
I love the smell of a roasting in the morning.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
stealthieOne said:
yeah but the puzzles

ShockingAlberto said:

83f81

Jackson

Shiine said:
Jackson, i got a question.
Will you be able to type in like: "Color Red", and then get the color so you can color things like, animals, houses and stuff?

red sounds a lot like an adjective to me and color in this context sounds like a verb or a non-concrete object. ;)

Shiine

Jackson said:
red sounds a lot like an adjective to me and color in this context sounds like a verb or a non-concrete object. ;)
Aaah ok =D, im not good at this things hehe.
But can you type in a "color machine?" =D
Or maybe a hair stylist, that can make other ppls hair look funny.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Shiine said:
Aaah ok =D, im not good at this things hehe.
But can you type in a "color machine?" =D
Or maybe a hair stylist, that can make other ppls hair look funny.
You probably meant "red paint", didn't you?

Hey Jackson, not sure if you can answer this, but are you going for an E rating or an E10 rating? Beyond the already known "No drugs/alcohol/etc.", are you willing to cut more out of the game to stay under this rating, such as cutting out guns?

Shiine

SirPenguin said:
Hey Jackson, not sure if you can answer this, but are you going for an E rating or an E10 rating? Beyond the already known "No drugs/alcohol/etc.", are you willing to cut more out of the game to stay under this rating, such as cutting out guns?

I hope that they will make a 18+ version to =D

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
SirPenguin said:
E10 I think, and guns are in.

Jocchan said:
Yes, I acknowledge my example was (willingly) exaggerate, but as long as every preview seems to confirm almost every basic behaviour being there then I have no complaints: the only complaint I remember was about catapults being unable to throw anything but the rocks that the game probably considers their "bullets" (when you spawn a gun, unlimited bullets are already in there, so I suppose it's the same for catapults... it's a necessary simplification because having to manage the bullet count for any weapon would be overkill).
Hmm. Since the physics are supposed to be pretty good, I suppose we can rig up our own tossing device with a seesaw or something.

Blizzard

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Hmm. Since the physics are supposed to be pretty good, I suppose we can rig up our own tossing device with a seesaw or something.
That is one of the biggest things I'm hoping for, even though I'm trying to keep my hopes down. The other thing that would be awesome but I don't expect to work is the crowbar actually prying things up. I don't know if I ever saw the Maxwell Freeman video, or maybe I forgot. Could he only use the crowbar as a weapon, or could he actually pry things with it using the physics engine?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Any word on what languages are getting a localized version? I am guessing there will be German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, some of the more common ones, but what about stuff like Korean, Chinese, Russian, and the likes?

Also, have you considered if the game does well enough to make an International Version :lol

Put all the languages into one version, maybe add in some more puzzles, and if we want to be real fun, make a world wide input option and allow us to input a word from any language into the system at once while having the games text being in our language of chose. Then we can do some stupid stuff like allow us to have the instructions in Russian with Japanese input :lol

Vitet

Drkirby said:
Any word on what languages are getting a localized version? I am guessing there will be German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, some of the more common ones, but what about stuff like Korean, Chinese, Russian, and the likes?

Also, have you considered if the game does well enough to make an International Version :lol

Put all the languages into one version, maybe add in some more puzzles, and if we want to be real fun, make a world wide input option and allow us to input a word from any language into the system at once while having the games text being in our language of chose. Then we can do some stupid stuff like allow us to have the instructions in Russian with Japanese input :lol

Maybe all the languages aren't in the same DS card and only one or two already fill the capacity. It's a lot of words. Phoenix Wright games for example are FRA/GER or SPA/ITA if I remember correctly

scaffa

Glad I clicked on this thread, this game completely dropped of my radar and forgot about it. I saw the name getting dropped a few times but I thought it was some kind of Scrabble puzzle game so didn't pay any attention to it :\

It looks great :) Totally dig the style and the possibilities. Can't wait, day one!

And Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter hand animated by Paul Robertson? Dayyy one! I love his work.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Vitet said:
Maybe all the languages aren't in the same DS card and only one or two already fill the capacity. It's a lot of words. Phoenix Wright games for example are FRA/GER or SPA/ITA if I remember correctly
Well, you can always get bigger carts, and I really don't know how much extra space in the database putting just one language in compared to all of them they have, but I think it would be doable.

Vitet

Drkirby said:
Well, you can always get bigger carts, and I really don't know how much extra space in the database putting just one language in compared to all of them they have, but I think it would be doable.

I think Jackson stated earlier in this thread they were already pushing the max-limit of the card xD

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Vitet said:
I think Jackson stated earlier in this thread they were already pushing the max-limit of the card xD
Don't remember that, but I would think the art would take up more space then database links. And in a year maybe the next size up would be a lot cheaper/available.

Lets do a very rough estimate, and assume for it that the languages would spawn objects with the same characteristics as there English counterpart. 20 byte character strings in the database, lets say 100k objects, 10 times that for a very good multilingual, so 1 million entries, so 20000000 bytes, 19531.25 KBs, 19.07 MBs...

Yah, you do have a point, if the card is THAT full, and they are already using the largest cart (The 256MB/2Gb one) that would most likely be to hard to cram in.

But give it a year to 16 months, maybe we can have a 512MB/4Gb cart, and then it could fit... unless they want to fill the space with something else... Eh, a man can dream :D

Shiine

Stumpokapow said:
How many things won't be in the final game? ;)
Haha, i dont think the word "Shiine" wont be in the final game =D

I wonder if they can use any copyright material from the Warner Bros movies?

ShockingAlberto said:

:lol :lol Well played sir.

Shiine said:
Haha, i dont think the word "Shiine" wont be in the final game =D

I wonder if they can use any copyright material from the Warner Bros movies?
The word shiine will be in the game. You just have to write it and it's there. However the object shiine may not be in the game cause I have no idea what it is, so it could easily run into the game's rules of restriction.

I'm interested to see how they advertise this game. They could really come up with some unique ads if they make use of the game itself, kinda like the 2nd trailer with the "Gordon Freeman" cameo

Echoes

I pre-ordered 3 copies, one for me, one for my brother, and one for a dear friend with a DSi.

You win, devs. First game to make me count the days since Mega Man 9.

Edit: Well, haha, first thing I'm trying: Blue Bomber :D

I'm definitely preordering this tomorrow when I pick up Ghostbusters and I'll also preorder online at Amazon. So can't wait to play this. Too bad it has to be within E to E10 cuz a Pedobear cameo would be hilarious =)

Anyone else starting to limit reading up more on the game in order to keep some of the surprises and combinations from being known? I think part of the fun is going to be trying stuff and discovering what does what so no fun if people are telling me already what works. I want the surprise moments like 217 from not knowing and then discovering. So I think I'm going on media lock down now.

Shiine

Metroid Killer said:
The word shiine will be in the game. You just have to write it and it's there. However the object shiine may not be in the game cause I have no idea what it is, so it could easily run into the game's rules of restriction.
Hehe, Shiine is me =D A long, blond guy with niice clothes haha. Likes to play basketball and videogames. And love girls =D haha

Its incredible to see in the Kotaku article the old winners. Incredible because Mario Galaxy never won any game of E3. Incredible because Fllaout 3 was given to years the prize from IGN. WTF?
Incredible to see also how many fails have win also the best of E3.

However I know this is not going to happen with Scribblenauts.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Its incredible to see in the Kotaku article the old winners. Incredible because Mario Galaxy never won any game of E3. Incredible because Fllaout 3 was given to years the prize from IGN. WTF?
Incredible to see also how many fails have win also the best of E3.

However I know this is not going to happen with Scribblenauts.
Gamespy also has Bioshock win Best of E3 two years in a row.

Jocchan said:
E10 I think, and guns are in.

I know guns are in now, just like bar was in the E3 demo (apparently). I was just wondering how far Jackson and co. are willing to remove things from the game in order to meet the rating, is all. I mean I'm having a hard time thinking of an E or E10 game that had guns in it, let alone a game that'd allow you kill cops with a bear armed with an uzi, haha.

But I guess no one really dies. They just...poof out of existence?

Vitet

SirPenguin said:
I know guns are in now, just like bar was in the E3 demo (apparently). I was just wondering how far Jackson and co. are willing to remove things from the game in order to meet the rating, is all. I mean I'm having a hard time thinking of an E or E10 game that had guns in it, let alone a game that'd allow you kill cops with a bear armed with an uzi, haha.

But I guess no one really dies. They just...poof out of existence?

They all seem paper dolls

xfactor

Banned
During the final day of E3 2009 I shared a quick cab ride with 5th Cell game designer Jeremiah Slaczka, and I asked him what was getting buzz on the show floor.

"Scribblenauts," he said.
lol, and then the gaming media backed your statement.

After hearing the entire internet not shut up about this game since E3, I've moved from being excited to completely sick of this game. Okay, I get it, you can spawn anything and sometimes it'll fight something else. It's not going to change the world.

Top Bottom