• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars : Galaxy of Heroes |OT| The best chance to unlock Kylo-Ren

Ally Code: 629-877-532

Got Lumi and Sid at 7 star working on Boba and Kylo at the moment. I usually play daily but have been just starting to hoard my arena rewards and crystals mostly for some new content. I should have a few spots open on my list just cleaned things out a couple days ago.

Jaleel

Ally Code: 629-877-532

Got Lumi and Sid at 7 star working on Boba and Kylo at the moment. I usually play daily but have been just starting to hoard my arena rewards and crystals mostly for some new content. I should have a few spots open on my list just cleaned things out a couple days ago.

Sent request. Lvl 60 player here. I'm surprised you're not higher than rank 108 atm. Never use crystals to climb or just on an older, more competitive server? I think I'm on a pretty fresh one because I can manage top 10 and placed rank 1 twice as long as I use 50 purple fucking crystals for 5 more battles.

*KyloSam*

Jaleel

Really want to unlock Vader and Rey already. 80 shards for the man?

Vader is unlocked and grows in star power only through achievements. Dont sweat him since you cant farm him up easily like everyone else you could through Arena or Cantina. Pray you get Rey from a bronzium lol.

timewyrm

Believe me, I've had my fair share of pulls in moments of weakness :) I ALWAYS REGRET IT. haha.

Timewyrm: I really want a chromium to unlock Dooku
Commish: BUT SIR! The odds of unlocking Dokku are 54605 to 1
Timewyrm: Never tell me the odds

;)

Jaleel

Timewyrm: I really want a chromium to unlock Dooku
Commish: BUT SIR! The odds of unlocking Dokku are 54605 to 1
Timewyrm: Never tell me the odds

;)

He's a bitch to farm. Go for CT-Fives if u want some counter attack goodness. Plus hes tanky as fuck and his normal attack applies speed down. Also has a sick ally assist move thats great for burst. He rapes 1 v 1 because he gets so many turns off due to speed down on enemy and his 70% Counter Chance with 25% more damage.

timewyrm

He's a bitch to farm. Go for CT-Fives if u want some counter attack goodness. Plus hes tanky as fuck and his normal attack applies speed down. Also has a sick ally assist move thats great for burst. He rapes 1 v 1 because he gets so many turns off due to speed down on enemy and his 70% Counter Chance with 25% more damage.

Currently grinding him, 18/50. I'm estimating that IF I'm lucky, it'll take at least another 16 days (based on only having level 2 hard currently unlocked and the cantina shipment giving 400 a day).

Jaleel

Currently grinding him, 18/50. I'm estimating that IF I'm lucky, it'll take at least another 16 days (based on only having level 2 hard currently unlocked and the cantina shipment giving 400 a day).

That's really the best use for purple fucking crystals. Instead of gambling with chromium your can just speed up the farm process of shards and gear.

I never understood the appeal to customers of buying random packs and hoping to get what they want (eg the heroes system here as explained in the OT)

Its basically gambling, and as far as I am concerned MORE expensive than a high cost app/games

_Ph03n1x_

I just started playing this a few days ago. I'm level 38 and my characters are around 37-38 and I just can't get through 4-L on lightside. Those stormtrooper grenades just wreck me

Jaleel

I just started playing this a few days ago. I'm level 38 and my characters are around 37-38 and I just can't get through 4-L on lightside. Those stormtrooper grenades just wreck me

Shard up/Gear up/Lvl up and come back to it. Try some Dark side in the meanwhile if possible.

timewyrm

That's really the best use for purple fucking crystals. Instead of gambling with chromium your can just speed up the farm process of shards and gear.

Is it worth spending 50 purple to refresh selected hard levels ? To me personally the drop rate for the items you need seems way to low to be worth it.

For example, IIRC there are three levels you can grind for the Consular, but I'm lucky if I get one shard in 12 goes. Some days I'll get two or three. The Cantina battles seem (to me) to have a more consistent drop rate, every three or four turns.

Toa TAK

Banned
Vader is unlocked and grows in star power only through achievements. Dont sweat him since you cant farm him up easily like everyone else you could through Arena or Cantina. Pray you get Rey from a bronzium lol.

Yeah, I don't think I've gotten anyone through a Bronzium. D: But I guess I can sim card a battle at least.

timewyrm

Fucking hated that level. Eventually, I geared up enough to make it through.

Jaleel

Is it worth spending 50 purple to refresh selected hard levels ? To me personally the drop rate for the items you need seems way to low to be worth it.

If your serious about farming said characters shards, yes its worth it. What choice do you have. Only way I can farm Bariss. So close to her at 5*. RNG gunna RNG.

Blank!

a high level barriss loaner did the trick for me. I stacked as many healers/high damage characters as possible (and probably out-leveled it some). I think I got through it in the low/mid 40's.

Just some general advice, but getting a high level Luminara and JC with their heal(s) maxed is incredibly important. Lum's gets a 2-turn heal over time which is absolutely massive, and JC gets -1 cooldown so it's up *a lot* (also gets -1 cooldown chance on his basic too). My clear success in GW and basic cantina/light side missions skyrocketed after that... I think you need level 50+ for those things though :(

Still something to shoot for.

Durden77

Jaleel I added you last night, and you're rank 5 in arena?! What the fuck! Your dudes will help me a lot.

Also I'm an idiot and didn't realize how much better Ima-Gun Di's leader skill was than Chewy's, so I've switched him to my leader for anyone that wants to add me. I wish I actually knew who he was in Star Wars, because he's my MVP in this game.

timewyrm

Jaleel I added you last night, and you're rank 5 in arena?! What the fuck! Your dudes will help me a lot.

Also I'm an idiot and didn't realize how much better Ima-Gun Di's leader skill was than Chewy's, so I've switched him to my leader for anyone that wants to add me. I wish I actually knew who he was in Star Wars, because he's my MVP in this game.

I've also recently changed from Chewie to Phasma as leader, and seem to be doing better. In fact in arena, I only target those players that have Chewie as their leader !

For me, it's the extra hit chance that she brings to the table. What is Ima's skill ?

timewyrm

So is it better to farm for better characters, gear up, or shards to rank up?

Since I've unlocked Cantina and GW, I use them (and arena) to farm for shards for certain chars, and everything else mainly for gear. Look out for the challenges that reward with gear.

Just to add, after unlocking Sid, Lumi and Han , I'm currently farming Fives and ranking up the rest.

Durden77

I've also recently changed from Chewie to Phasma as leader, and seem to be doing better. In fact in arena, I only target those players that have Chewie as their leader !

For me, it's the extra hit chance that she brings to the table. What is Ima's skill ?

Ima gives +15 defense to all allies (only 5 less defense than Chewy's level 2 leader skill), and a 15% chance for Jedis to counter attack. At level 3, a 25% chance.

It's really a no brainer to switch to him from Chewy, dunno why I didn't earlier. It seems like one of the best leader skills in the game, especially if you have more than one Jedi.

timewyrm

Ima gives +15 defense to all allies (only 5 less defense than Chewy's level 2 leader skill), and a 15% chance for Jedis to counter attack. At level 3, a 25% chance.

It's really a no brainer to switch to him from Chewy, dunno why I didn't earlier. It seems like one of the best leader skills in the game, especially if you have more than one Jedi.

I'm planning to play an all Jedi team at some point in the future, and I think I'll definitely consider him for leader.

I can imagine if there was someone similar for the Sith. With him/her, Dooku and Maul and the right heal/support, that would make a formidable team.

Talking of darkside healers, does anyone think that choices are severely limited for powerful healers ?

_Ph03n1x_

Shard up/Gear up/Lvl up and come back to it. Try some Dark side in the meanwhile if possible.

Yeah that's the plan for now but I really need one piece of gear on level 5 for my Rey :[

Fucking hated that level. Eventually, I geared up enough to make it through.

Slowly but surely I'll get there. #thegrindisreal

a high level barriss loaner did the trick for me. I stacked as many healers/high damage characters as possible (and probably out-leveled it some). I think I got through it in the low/mid 40's.

I keep trying to look for someone to outclass it but I can only find people that are similarly leveled. Oh well, I'll continue to gear up and grind it out.

If anyone is still looking for allys shoot me an invite: 148-749-992

I've fallen in love with this game. It offers a good amount of complexity and strategy that I haven't really gotten on a phone before. But the free to play elements are really crappy. First, you have a certain amount of energy and when that runs out you cant play anymore. You either have to spend a very hard to get currency, spend real money, or just let the energy build back up. Secondly, you can pay real money for booster packs, and not get a character, you could only get a character shard that just fills up a progress bar to unlock that character later on.

Sounds like in the only one here ignoring meta? I refuse to use a dual blade Sidious (though I have him unlocked) and Barriss is in like one episode of The Clone Wars and is also a bit too cheap in my opinion (high health ands high heal). Though honestly I'd like Barriss to help to through stages but I can't bring myself to farm her when there's actual characters I like as a fan.

Definitely want to do a Clone team too once they add more. Where is Rex?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Sounds like in the only one here ignoring meta? I refuse to use a dual blade Sidious (though I have him unlocked) and Barriss is in like one episode of The Clone Wars and is also a bit too cheap in my opinion (high health ands high heal). Though honestly I'd like Barriss to help to through stages but I can't bring myself to farm her when there's actual characters I like as a fan.

Definitely want to do a Clone team too once they add more. Where is Rex?

Barriss makes light side missions and GW a ton easier. All healers are very useful for that reason. Don't see many healers but Lumi in PVP

Dwayne

Since I've unlocked Cantina and GW, I use them (and arena) to farm for shards for certain chars, and everything else mainly for gear. Look out for the challenges that reward with gear.

Just to add, after unlocking Sid, Lumi and Han , I'm currently farming Fives and ranking up the rest.

FWIW I have Han and I think he's shit. Doesn't have enough health to be a proper tank.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I've been playing for a couple weeks and I have yet to unlock any characters via farming shards, nor have I classed up anyone. The only character I have gotten is IG-86 via bronze pack. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I've been saving my crystals, should I use them on energy refreshing for farming?

Flunkie

Banned
Wasn't there already an OT for this? Either way, I've been playing this daily. It's great.

Ally Code: 876-524-963

IGN: Jango Petrol

Chewie is a beast. TIE Pilot is a badass glass cannon.

A good, helpful site you may want to put in the OP: http://www.swgohcantina.com/

Dwayne

I've been playing for a couple weeks and I have yet to unlock any characters via farming shards, nor have I classed up anyone. The only character I have gotten is IG-86 via bronze pack. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I've been saving my crystals, should I use them on energy refreshing for farming?

How many crystals do you have? Personally I'd open the top chromium pack if you can afford it, just to get a base of characters to work with under you - you should get around 2-3 from the 8 card draw.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
How many crystals do you have? Personally I'd open the top chromium pack if you can afford it, just to get a base of characters to work with under you - you should get around 2-3 from the 8 card draw.
I've built up 1,500. Unless I'm getting those slowly too.

Durden77

Damn I am getting ALOT of characters from Bronze cards as of late. I mentioned earlier I got Ahsoka and Fives, and today I got IG-86 (already had so I got shards), Snowtrooper (also already had) and Teebo.

I have no idea what my luck is with these right now but I'm loving it.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Damn I am getting ALOT of characters from Bronze cards as of late. I mentioned earlier I got Ahsoka and Fives, and today I got IG-86 (already had so I got shards), Snowtrooper (also already had) and Teebo.

I have no idea what my luck is with these right now but I'm loving it.
Dang the only one I have gotten is IG-86 and I have done at least 30-40 draws.

timewyrm

I managed to unlock Dooku. The bad news is that it cost me £35. In fairness though, I only bought two single chromium cards, so 700 purple.

The bitch thing is that the crystal cost goes up for refreshing. Currently need 900 purple to refresh energy, but I think I'll wait for my reset tonight.

Jaleel

I managed to unlock Dooku. The bad news is that it cost me £35. In fairness though, I only bought two single chromium cards, so 700 purple.

The bitch thing is that the crystal cost goes up for refreshing. Currently need 900 purple to refresh energy, but I think I'll wait for my reset tonight.

It's to keep you from blazing through everything and acquiring shards too fast etc. I usually wont go past 400 pfc for cantina and normal energy refreshes. Even 400 is if I really want that upgrade noa!

timewyrm

It's to keep you from blazing through everything and acquiring shards too fast etc. I usually wont go past 400 pfc for cantina and normal energy refreshes. Even 400 is if I really want that upgrade noa!

Is this normal for games like this ?

The only game I have to go on is SWTOR, and there the price to buy something doesn't go up if you want to buy more.

Fordfx2

Ally code: 548-472-194

You guys/gals can add me if you want. I've got a 5 star Phasma and working on Dooku at 3 stars. Dooku's counter attack is insanely good!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Is this normal for games like this ?

The only game I have to go on is SWTOR, and there the price to buy something doesn't go up if you want to buy more.

It's to keep the free to play players closer to the pay to play players. The gap would just get to be too large if things were cheaper. It's a helpful mechanic overall.

Iceman829

The game seems fun and I've been hooked on it when I started playing before the movie came out. Was lucky enough to get a free Phasma during the promo. Made it up to lvl 54 last night. If anyone needs a Phasma / Lumi Hero to borrow my code is 797-149-129.

The only thing that I hate is the whole recharge rate on battles. I know that's how f2p games work. It would just be nice to play as much as I want sometimes. I've been spending most of my energy on upgrading all my heroes that I haven't been able to advance further in the Light/Dark side trees recently. I think I just about hit the wall where I need items purchased from shipments to get my main squad to gear VII+, so I'll be back to working on advancing the trees. It will be nice to see what characters they end up adding. Hopefully, they add ways to get tokens for characters locked behind card packs in new levels or something.

Blank!

Is it worth it to buy character shards from shipments?

Depends on how close you are to a star/unlocking IMO. There are certain characters that you can only get from those shipment shards/chromium packs.

It's a pretty crappy deal though, 150 purples for 3 shards... so I wouldn't plan on trying to unlock a specific hero through it.

Moff

I always praised sidious, simply because of his debuff.
and luminiara is way too op, my guess is that she will be nerfed. you can't be a top tier healer and hit like a truck, that's just not balance, but I agree with the top ranking
I just unlocked Ig86 on a bronze card today, but I don't see him being of much use with 1 star.

I agree that dooku is way too low, especially to some random characters I spotted way higher. his lightning is one of my favourite attacks in the game and his 100% parry is very strong. I don't know why I would pick kylo instead of him for instance

Blank!

How do you guys feel about these character rankings?

http://www.swgohcantina.com/swgoh-hero-rankings/

I feel like Dooku is pretty low compared to my experience of him as he has been fantastic at all levels. Luminara and Sidious are definitely top tier though.

The best character(s) in the game right now are:

Leia (bugged crit, incredible one-shot potential)
First order Tie Pilot (bugged stats, incredible one-shot potential)
Qui-Gon (good speed, follow up, and buff removal)
Poe (fastest taunt in the game forces people to use teams that are also speedsters or get eaten alive by the above characters)

Honorable mentions:

Dooku - fast enough to beat out poe and high stun chance may be your only hope of getting through first round with everyone still up. Low health means if he doesn't get that stun, it's not uncommon for the AI to 1 shot/neutralize him with a big hit. Hard to star up to keep his HP relevant.

Sidious - Heal debuff loses value as you start running into more "whale" teams that don't run a healer at all (no arena team should run a healer in current meta IMO). Even the free-to-play teams that start to fill out their droid teams will usually forgo a healer (sometimes a Daka/Lum as 5th though). He's still fast though and with the AI random targeting, his self heal can sometimes make him last far longer than others. Lowish HP though.

Phasma - RNG enabler. You can get a shit ton of follow-ups and crazy damage or... nothing. Getting an assist call on top of another assist call is usually a kill if it pulls in the right guy. She's kind of crap on defense but really only there for the leadership ability. -Speed is great when it "works" and she's slow enough to sometime get it to work.

Luminara - Pretty obvious. Silly burst/healing. Lots of Sidious means she's not as useful (bad on defense with healing, high evade chance if she targets him).

Geno Soldier - Fast, low cooldown assist call. Good crit and gains meter on crit too. He's no Leia/FotP but a good free to play option.

Droids - just a general topic for HK, IG-86/IG-88/Poggle (filler). They're a great free-to-play team that can sometimes RNG it's way into victory against whale teams. I find they're more prone to "bad rolls" so you do get screwed over more than your 'average' free-to-play comp (JC, Lum, Sid, filler/filler) that can sometimes heal it's way to recovery against your standard fair of teams... but the JC/Lum/Sid team tends to fair much worse against whale teams and will basically never win a game on defense (since everyone runs that team already, or something better).

Those are my picks anyway. With the level cap to 70 and available gear, things may change a bit.

Top Bottom