• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

BY2K

Membero Americo
2lvfyw7.png

Zelda Art Thread

Welcome, GAFers, to the Official The Legend of Zelda Community Thread. That's right, a thread 100% dedicated to Zelda, no more, no less.
What exactly is this thread about, you ask? Everything, as long as it's related to The Legend of Zelda. What is the Legend of Zelda? If you are asking yourself this question, I have 2 things to tell you:

1. What the hell are you doing on NeoGAF?
2. May God have mercy on your soul.

Otherwise, enjoy your stay.

This won't be any fancy introduction to the Zelda series, really. I mean, if you are here and want to post, you probably already know everything there is to know about the series.

2r222o5.png

- No creepy fanarts. I mean it. If you want to post fanart, it better be good AND SFW. Same goes for cosplays.
- When discussing the timeline (or for any debate, for that matter), try to back up your arguments with facts or quotes from interviews or something.

2przdvr.png

- Did you know that Eiji Aonuma, producer of the upcoming The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and veteran of the series, never finished the first game?

- Even though Adventure of Link is a direct sequel to the original The Legend of Zelda, it doesn't feature the same Zelda you save in the first one.

- Link's Awakening first started as a A Link to the Past port for the Gameboy, but the development team didn't find it interesting enough, so the idea was scrapped and they decided instead to work on a brand new game.

- Did you know that Ocarina of Time was originally set only in Ganon's Castle? The game was supposed to work the same way Super Mario 64 did, by having Link traverse paintings to other worlds. The idea of the painting was kept, however, and used in the boss fight of the Forest Temple.

- Ocarina of Time was once considered to be played in a first-person perspective.

- The business between Capcom and Nintendo on the Zelda series first started when Yoshiki Okamoto, then head of Flagship (a Capcom screenwriting company) proposed a remake of the first Zelda game for the Game Boy Color. If the release was a success, it would be followed by other titles released in quick succession. A remake of Adventure of Link was also into consideration, followed by 4 other completely original titles.

- 3 of those games were part of the "Triforce Series". Each title was to focus around a piece of the Triforce and one important character, the oracles (The Triforce of Power and Din, the Triforce of Wisdom and Nayru, the Triforce of Courage and Farore.) Additionally, each game was supposed to focus on a different gameplay element. Chapter of Power was to focus on action and Chapter of Wisdom on puzzles. What Chapter of Courage was supposed to focus on was never revealed. The game eventually became the Mystical Seeds series and was to feature the linked game ability. However creating 3 full Zelda games at once proved to be a challenge to big for Capcom and Nintendo. Mystical Seed of Courage was cancelled, reducing the series to two titles. Mystical Seed of Wisdom became Oracle of Ages, Mystical Seed of Power became Oracle of Seasons. We know the rest.

BurntPork said:
If the first rule in broken I'm leaving the internet forever.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff126/bign15/suicidalzelda.gif[/QUOTE]

why are you giving people motivation to post bad/creepy/NSFW fanart ? :P

also to get conversation started on something I suppose

favorite game: Wind waker
favorite dungeon: Sky temple (TP)
favorite bosses: Stallord

Rehynn

Finally! Reporting in.

DoomXploder7 said:
why are you giving people motivation to post bad/creepy/NSFW fanart ? :p

also to get conversation started on something I suppose

favorite game: Wind waker
favorite dungeon: Sky temple (TP)
favorite bosses: Stallord

Fav game: Ocarina. Ask me tomorrow and I'll say Link's Awakening.
...dungeon: Forest Temple.
...boss: Bosses are my least favorite thing about Zelda. Maybe OoT Ganon.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Yay, community thread!

PS: If you source your fanarts and post links to the original dA/Pixiv/home page, you will be awesome.

favorite game: Link's Awakening (then Majora's Mask in a close second)
favorite dungeon: Spirit Temple (OoT)
favorite bosses: Puppet Ganon (WW), Stallord (TP), Dark Link (AoL)

Some Zelda-related edits of my Magnus sprite that I did recently...

link_sprites_by_r4r3truffle-d4b9znj.png

CassSept

Narolf said:
Timeline

So... did Majora Mask happen before or after OoT? And what/where is Termina, exactly?
MM happens in the child timeline during the time when in the adult timeline Link is sleeping after picking up Maser Sword. Termina is an alternate dimension to Hyrule. Probably.

PS. Zelda thread, yay!

Narolf said:
Timeline

So... did Majora Mask happen before or after OoT? And what/where is Termina, exactly?

Majora's Mask happened after OoT. It's a direct sequel. Of course, it runs along the timeline that Twilight Princess is on.

NEO0MJ

IceDoesntHelp said:
http://www.lerms.net/grafica_files/500/347412327_ae7d5f3607.jpg
I honestly like this fan art. Just the style makes it look perfect for a cartoon.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't happen to have a high res version of this?

Boney

Banned
CassSept said:
MM happens in the child timeline during the time when in the adult timeline Link is sleeping after picking up Maser Sword. Termina is an alternate dimension to Hyrule. Probably.

PS. Zelda thread, yay!
Uh, not when adult link is sleeping.

When the game ends, Link gets back to being a child, loses Navi and goes to Termina to find her. There is no adult Link here.

Nirolak said:
Whoops, I forgot to mention, you actually get a few days on the main page to garner people.
How come the op gets to make the rules! that's not fair!

Tyeforce

On the subject of Zelda timelines...

/ — TWW/PH — ST
SS — TMC — FS/FSA — OoT
               \MM — TP — ALttP/LA — TLoZ/TAoL — OoS/OoA

That's my timeline. It's explain a bit in this video with annotations, and I plan on making a very in-depth finished timeline video before Skyward Sword comes out.

Boney

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
Oracle of Ages is the best 2D Zelda game.

I mean it.
Really need to give the Oracle series another spin. Played Seasons first which I loved, but Ages just didn't do it for me.

CassSept

Tyeforce said:
On the subject of Zelda timelines...

/ — TWW/PH — ST
SS — TMC — FS/FSA — OoT
               \MM — TP — ALttP/LA — TLoZ/TAoL — OoS/OoA

That's my timeline. It's explain a bit in this video with annotations, and I plan on making a very in-depth finished timeline video before Skyward Sword comes out.
I gave up timeline theorising about 5 years ago, but doesn't TMC/FS/FSA make sense more before ALttP?

Tyeforce

CassSept said:
I gave up timeline theorising about 5 years ago, but doesn't TMC/FS/FSA make sense more before ALttP?
That's another popular placement, but only because of the similarities between FSA and ALttP. However, Eiji Aonuma has said that the Four Sword series are supposed to be the earliest tales in the Zelda timeline, dating before Ocarina of Time (this, of course, was before Skyward Sword was announced).

EDIT: Here's the quote:
Eiji Aonuma said:
The GBA Four Swords Zelda is what we're thinking as the oldest tale in the Zelda timeline. With this one on the GameCube being a sequel to that, and taking place sometime after that.

So, one thing I've been thinking a bit of lately is what direction the WiiU Zelda should go in. Should it use the tablet or continue being a motion showcase for Nintendo?

I think the motion controls in Skyward Sword look amazing, and, being the big motion whore I am, I would love to see them build and expand upon them. Red Steel 2 currently has my favorite combat system of any game this gen, so I suppose that says a lot about where I stand on the subject. I find that the near 1:1 control of the sword really helps me become immersed in the world of the game, so I'd love to see a MM or TP-styled game use that kind of system. (Not because SS is TEH KIDDY, but simply because each style offers a different feel and I'd like to immerse myself in those styles the way I hope to immerse myself in SS.)

Or maybe I'm just an inner 12-year old and think it's cool to pretend to be Link. Either way, I think I'd rather they stick with this gameplay style for a bit than focus on the tablet.

Top Bottom