• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA conducted a poll asking where people play Switch the most. 83% said at home

PrimeBeef

I imagine if they did the same survey for the 3DS, the results would probably be about the same too.

Outside Japan at least.

Yup. Just becasue it's portable doesn't mean it gets played outside of the home. I don't think my 3DS has left my house.

There are more places you could play on the go than the options listed. I'd imagine that if the options were just "at home" and "outside the home" it'd be more like 75/25.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Mostly because the other options are stupid. Beach? Bus? Train?

Why not ask "Indoors" and "Outdoors?"

Yeah I mostly play undocked at home.

That being said not exactly a lot of options.

What about at work on break? In a hotel room while traveling? At a friend's house for MP? At school?

So many different options that aren't on the list.

packy34

This is kind of a bad poll. The options are weird - how often do most people fly? How many people have time or access to a beach and/or a park?

A better list of selections would be like:

1. Home
2. At a friend's home
3. On a bus/train/plane
4. Other

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I played my Vita alot at home too. Kids did the same with their 3DS.

Hard to quote because on phone right now. This is in response to the OP saying it justifies Nintendo calling it a home console first.

f@luS

More than a member.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/897856262221602820

Thought this was a pretty interesting result. This to me actually justifies Nintendo "home console first" marketing of the Switch. Handhelds do seem less popular in the west (note there was nothing stopping folks outside of NA from voting) than say Japan, but it's still surprising to see such a landslide result in favor of home gaming.

What about you guys? Where do you play Switch the most? What are your thoughts on the poll and the results? Me, I also play strictly docked myself. :p
Accurate. But home doesn't mean on tv. I play mostly home and almost all the time handheld.
I drive so I don't play when I drive obviously and in don't travel that much

Doesn't mean anything imho

In summary, read nothing into the results of this twitter poll.

It's a piece of nonsense social marketing to point out that the console can be played anywhere, which is part of their ongoing messaging and campaign

Sure at home, but not docked, and that's how I play all my portables. Poll should probably have made a distinction between docked and undocked.

They missed the most important option for me. In a hotel. I have to travel frequently for my job and the switch is perfect to make these boring hotels more interesting.

Yea, my first thought is home doesn't necessarily mean docked. Also then I just think of the specific sample group, and the options given. I do play mines mostly docked though, with my 3ds around the house. I might play the switch undocked more if it wasn't in constant use lol but the fam are hot on it.

redcrayon

Mostly because the other options are stupid. Beach? Bus? Train?

Why not ask "Indoors" and "Outdoors?"
Why is 'train' stupid? I spend about 90 minutes a day playing on a portable on the train, it's my main gaming time.

Unless you mean that it was silly to seperate all the outdoor categories. A better question would have been docked/undocked, as even when I do play at home, it's usually in bed after my wife and kid are asleep rather than chained to the telly.

I play mostly at home but always in handheld mode, I don't even have my dock plugged in right now. It's a bit big to take out a lot though.

Gestault

Those numbers are what I would expect, based on my social circles.

I would be more inclined to bring it with me more if the battery was [maybe an hour?] longer and there was a direct connection for HDMI that didn't require bringing the dock. I think it's a decent console and a poor handheld, in the grand scheme of things. Multimedia apps would be a major improvement.

vern

It doesn't say where do you play it most, it says favorite place to play...

I play mine mostly at home but my favorite place is on the plane. I fly a lot. In fact I'm at the airport now and gonna make some good progress on zelda as I fly across the pacific. Switch is the best.

Gartooth

I have never used it in a public setting. I still love undocked mode though since I can play it if I'm visiting family. It would be interesting to see if they did a similar poll for 3DS, but I imagine the results are mostly the same.

"Home" is too vague though. I almost exclusively play it at home, but I don't use it like a regular console. I love playing it lounging in bed or on the couch while it's in handheld mode.

lestar

portable console doesn't mean play outside home only, it means, play any where, I play switch in bed, in bathroom, in couch (in portable mode), in work, in family and firends houses, any where. If this poll were asked for 3DS, it'll be the same results

Sami+

I actually live on a bus so most of my Switch time is spent on one.

Stupid question?

Handheld vs docked would've been more useful

Not really. I'd guess the number of people who play in handheld mode at home is a little higher than people who live on a bus.

kiguel182

Same here. I bring it to other places sometimes but it's 90 per cent home. Both in docked and handled.

That's how I play my handhelds too.

HCgamer

Mine stays docked majority of time only used as portable one time since I purchased console in July why play on small screen when I can play on my big screen?

I play it mostly at various people's houses. It's become the party console.

And I play it at work sometimes. Shhh

My 3DS and Vita are still my on-the-go systems.

Formless

I play mostly inside houses, but it's super convenient to bring it over to a friend's so the portability is still a plus even if I'm not outside per se.

Also gaming in bed

I've definitely played my Switch more as a home console although I've played in table top mode abit too both inside and out. I suspect that if multiplayer was more traditional in the sense you need atleast 2 Switches to play together in Splatoon we'd take the Switch out more.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe outdoors has definitely been a thing this summer with friends, recently played in a MK tournament on the Switch at a little pub, the owners set it up. The winner took home an N64 with a controller and Diddy Kong Racing, if I remember right. I made it to semi-finals and got some shitty course luck right at the end (Super Bell Subway)... ugh my least fav course ever.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I play at home in portable mode. I suspect there are a large amount of the 83% who do the same. It's a handheld to me, just i don't take them outdoors.

Yup. When I play Switch at home, chances are it's being played in portable mode.

NimbusD

It's asking your FAVORITE place to play. Sure, home is my favorite place to play it, but I love that I can play it on my commute and other places, but is that my favorite?... Obvious that's the answer to the question.

BigEmil

Yep mine is 100% for home.

I'm not sad enough to bring a game console to my social life outside lol I don't need to play games 24/7 everywhere

Yep mine is 100% for home.

I'm not sad enough to bring a game console to my social life outside lol I don't need to play games 24/7 everywhere

I was about to bring it to work to play Sonic Mania on break but I didn't want to be that guy playing video games at work.

Switch would have been my favorite thing ever if I was still 7 and could bring it everywhere with me.

Kaizer

Banned
I play at home in portable mode. I suspect there are a large amount of the 83% who do the same. It's a handheld to me, just i don't take them outdoors.

Same, about 90% of my Zelda BOTW playthrough has been done in handheld mode laying on the couch while watching my puppy.

bumpkin

I feel like the poll should have been whether you play it docked or in portable mode most. Like others have said, I play mine in portable mode while at home (living room, bedroom, etc.), but I also bring it with me to work to play during my lunch break.

Top Bottom