• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sim City 5 to have in-game store

Kunan

They've been trying really hard to systematically destroy any hype they built with the initial reveal.

I really want to buy this game, but every time there is an information reveal about it EA make me want to wait for a sale.

EA? Shoehorning microtransactions into 60 dollar AAA games?

36c0m2.jpg

Nugg

Oooooof course it will. If Dead Space has one, there's no way SimCity does not. EA's gonna be EA.

Derrick01

Banned
They've been trying really hard to systematically destroy any hype they built with the initial reveal.

The EA effect.

Personally the focus on MP and online only really crushed any chance I had of buying it but this is pretty dirty too. They may as well make it a F2P game so we can have that rapey F2P-feel without having to spend $60 first.

I really can't justify a purchase anymore, I love SimCity its a game I have been waiting a long time for and its just hit after hit after hit that has killed any sort of interest in it. It's so sad.

Honestly I never thought EA was as bad as people made them out to be but its constantly making it hard for me to keep that view, micro transactions have no place in a AAA game, especially a city builder like this.

/sigh
I guess I'll see what its for first. I have a bad feeling now that they don't just view the social stuff as an evolution of the series as I did :(

It's funny how I had such a great hype a year ago and now is almost completely gone.

I shouldn't even be surprised, just EA being EA.

Sadly, the revenue they earn from the store will probably outweigh everyone in my shoes. Not wanting this game b/c of all the changes they've made. From initial reveal to now, it's gone so low :(

Nugg

But can the in-game store being destroyed by a tornado or mecha-godzilla?

Actually I would like to know if something you bought for a few bucks can be randomly swallowed whole by a wandering godzilla, forcing you to buy it again.

I finally got around to playing my Steam sale copy of Sims 3 last night, and they have stuff for the Sim's store embedded right in the game's UI, in a bright yellow colour.

Jesus EA, ease up a bit.

if it doesn't affect my gameplay i don't see the problem

This. The existence of a store doesn't mean that it will intrusive or needed. I don't know why Origin doesn't have some kind of hooks to manage in-game purchases though, seems kind of odd.

edit: I don't even like SimCity-just not my thing-but it's funny how people point out EA for being cynical with IAPs and then this thread is nothing but the very worst forumthink cynicism-GAF assumptions that any in-game store will be a horrific thing, despite the huge strides that in-game stores have made since the early days of the first F2P games in the mid to late 2000s.

Gleylancer

Neo Member
Still waiting for a new Command & Conquer, where you have to buy the ammunition online.

...or the tiberium...

...or both...

It just breaks all the logic for some decisions. Always online is nothing to do with the social stuff or pushing for cooperation as for all I know my neighbour is going to be buying loads of stuff.

Instead always online and social features are there to force competition with the aim of pulling in whales who'll become obsessed with optimising their small wee space over the competitions.

/sigh

There is ZERO way in which this can not impact the gameplay.

The EA effect.

Personally the focus on MP and online only really crushed any chance I had of buying it but this is pretty dirty too. They may as well make it a F2P game so we can have that rapey F2P-feel without having to spend $60 first.

The messed up part is I enjoyed the beta. There were certain questionable aspects in design, but I thought it had blended something pretty decently for newcomers and veterans. Then I remembered -- oh. Always online and, from what I understand, forced social structuring.

Sucks that the Reddit IAMA with Maxis that went to hell was all for naught.

Fitz

Even if it's 100% vanity items/buildings, that's part of the gameplay of SimCty, the looks of your city, so it can't not affect the gameplay.

Also:
Click the banner on the main menu to enter the SimCity Store. Here, you’ll find special add-ons for sale. Select STORE to view the full list of additional game content (both free and paid) that can provide you with new gameplay possibilities

My wife used to play The Sims religiously, and after hearing from her how much EA has fleeced fans of that series this does not surprise me.

+Aliken+

Might cancel my pre-order to give me time to check what they are actually selling.
If it is just crap then I will get the game. If I get the feeling that they selling "things" which should have been in the game then I will skip this (god just saying it hurts...)

froliq

Way to go, EA. Keep on destroying everything and I even was close to getting it day 1 based on my enjoyment of the demo.

They won't be as long as consumers eat this shit up.

Which they will.
SimCity will sell very well because of EA marketing.

I'm reminded of an old Jimquisition video that argues gamers should complain loudly over simply not buying a game because there's the chance of the publisher misinterpreting the message. This is where I started contemplating whether I'd be willing to spend the $60 for Sim City given some of the decisions being made, but I'm just still not sure. Maybe $20. Maybe $15. Or not at all. Then I wondered if EA would interpret that as "Well they don't want city-building sim games, MORE OVER-THE-SHOULDER THIRD-PERSON BRO MADDENS FOR ALL!" I already don't want Dead Space 3 based on that demo (maybe for the $20 or $15).

syoaran

Going to be the same as the Sims 3 then, where additional items made by the team will be priced in a in-game store. Like hats for buildings.

I don't mind reskins for pay. If you want your city to lake on a ancient Japanese city vibe, go and buy it for a few dollars. Types of buildings that change the dynamic of city building feels like a bridge too far though.

Top Bottom