• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Wii U specs leaked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the 360 had a tessellation unit. It entirely depends on how modern and capable it is.

Well, the inclusion of the compute shaders make it modern, and I distinctly remember someone saying the GPU was modern (arkam?) but lacked oomph though that could have been the engine's lack of optimization at the time.

Blizzard

Banned
Of course you shouldn't trust me! look at my tag lol
You can ask some devs to pop in here if you'd like.
It's not a matter of not trusting you as much as it's a matter that it would be nice to know how you got the PDF (or Nirolak/EatChildren, for that matter). Was it a NDA breach somewhere, or is this generally available information?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sounds good. You're going to need all that horsepower to enable seamless use with that table controller.

Turok_TTZ

*reads OP*

@ networking i notice a lack of a ethernet port mention. is there gonna be an ethernet port for wired internet connections or is connecting to the internet gonna be the same as wii?

M-PG71C

Looks good to me, as long as it'll get ports in the future which is looking likely, I'm pretty damn happy. I would love to own a Wii U + PC only future. MS and Sony are just not cutting the shit anymore.

Orayn

*reads OP*

@ networking i notice a lack of a ethernet port mention. is there gonna be an ethernet port for wired internet connections or is connecting to the internet gonna be the same as wii?

Unless they made the box bigger and just decided to throw one in, you'll need a dongle.

StevieP

Banned
*reads OP*

Same as the Wii. Wireless built in, if you want a wired connection instead you can use the same adapter you had for Wii

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I think even 2 gig of ram is a little low, you're looking at a device that has to last 5+ years at the very least, we'll probably have arm based tablets with 2gig of ram by the time WiiU is a year old.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sounds that the rumor of machine having 1-1.5GB of RAM was right after all. Not enough IMO. Also R7xx GPU instruction set... isn't that really dated, like 2006 or so?

ElFly

Uh I wonder why each core has a different amount of cache.

I guess they realize devs are never going to completely paralellize things so it is better to give a core an extra edge.

I have a funny feeling that they went higher.

And I have a feeling the meaningful specs are lower. We're experiencing some of the usual Wii U expectation inflation in here.

For example, 2GB of RAM is a HUGE number imo. I personally would expect the real number to be 1GB or 1.5 if lucky.

Similarly, talk of a 5770 or 4850 is likely way out of line. Those are absolutely beastly compared to PS360, and there's no hints that Wii U has anywhere near that kind of power.

But hey, we will know more in literally 9 minutes, LOL.

ismk

It's great to see that on paper, WiiU is much more powerful than PS3/360 but let's see how it does in the real world especially after PS4/720 are released.

What do these numbers means in Dragonball Z?

Impossible to know without clockspeeds or number of shaders although the amount of RAM after the OS footprint is twice that of the current gen systems so that means that it should be more powerful.
And I have a feeling the meaningful specs are lower. We're experiencing some of the usual Wii U expectation inflation in here.

For example, 2GB of RAM is a HUGE number imo. I personally would expect the real number to be 1GB or 1.5 if lucky.

Similarly, talk of a 5770 or 4850 is likely way out of line. Those are absolutely beastly compared to PS360, and there's no hints that Wii U has anywhere near that kind of power.

But hey, we will know more in literally 9 minutes, LOL.

Nope. The article says Nintendo won't reveal the specs.

theman5141

Neo Member
Hopefully that's a legitimate tesselation unit. The other features listed in this rumored spec sheet appear to indicate that such could be a reality. Really happy about the 32MB EDRAM. Now we just need a confirmation of 2GB main system memory.

If these rumored specs due happen to align with real specs, it puts the comments from Gearbox devs. into complete perspective. It's very likely that the feature set has remained constant in the last few revisions. Interesting that no clock speeds are mentioned. Those figures probably changed ever-so-slightly in one of the more recent revisions.

Matt

As others have said, these are correct but outdated. But I wouldn't worry about it being weaker then this...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
No DX11 sounds bad to me, but if that tessellator is modern and capable enough then maybe it offsets some of that? At least, tessellation seems to me the major feature my DX10 PC can't usually have these days (though more games go for either DX9 or DX11 locking me out of more features I could normally have if they had bothered). Or maybe overall it's better than going for a DX11 yet not as fast chip. I dunno. This really doesn't tell us that much about real world performance yet, does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom