• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple releases iOS 10.3, macOS 10.12.4, watchOS 3.2, tvOS 10.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
My iPhone already says it's updated to 10.3. Weird. Must be the beta program still?

I also had the OSX beta for 10.12.4 for months now. F.lux isn't going to be happy with this.

Sch1sm

My iPhone already says it's updated to 10.3. Weird. Must be the beta program still?

I also had the OSX beta for 10.12.4 for months now. F.lux isn't going to be happy with this.

I always drop the beta once the OS officially releases on all Apps devices. Just pleasantly surprised at everything beyond Sierra's proper launch.

Primus

Argh. Started the update, and now my 7+ is stuck at "Verifying Update..." and has been there for a half-hour now. It won't force-reboot either.

If you're on the public beta the builds are pretty much the same. Build 14E5277a (beta) versus 14E5277 (public). But if you want to get the official GM like I did you can delete the beta profile, restart the device, and it'll show up

antibolo

Banned
It is, as of last week.

Now the entry level iPad is the new "iPad".

Not being sold anymore and not being supported anymore are two completely different things.

The iPad Air 2 is still very recent so you really shoudn't be worried.

My first gen iPad Air still works fine today.

This isn't Android!

Skunkers

On the one hand, I'm sure Apple wouldn't have released something like this without a shitload of testing.

On the other hand, I've never heard of any OS update trying to reformat millions of user's filesystems in-place before, so that should be interesting.

Yeah, that definitely caught my eye too; although at first I thought it was for MacOS, not iOS. But regardless, that'll certainly be interesting.

Vuze

Oh, didn't see this thread. So hyped for SiriKit and Theather Mode in the watchOS update and I hope 10.3 will give my 16GB 5S just some more mileage thanks to the new filesystem etc.
Installing 10.3 right now and will install watchOS 3.2 tonight because I'm sure it will take its sweet time just as 3.1.3.

E: Holy, from 600MB free to 2,71GB! Probably some cached stuff contributed to that as well (I clear it once per week though) but goddayum

sirap

Just updated my 12" Ipad Pro and the keyboard bug seems to be fixed (fingers crossed)

Feels slightly snappier too.

LordOfChaos

Wait, so there are noticeable performance benefits for iPhones from the new file system?

A file system based around how flash works can show dramatic improvements on the same memory controller and chips, F2FS showed this but was ahead of its time and a bit buggy

57444.png

The X and S4 had the same memory controller, the X just had F2FS

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Most people I've known who have that problem just wear their Watch so that the crown is facing away from your wrist.

lololololololol.... sigh.......

I can't believe I never thought of this..

tl;dr, during workouts, I frequently press stuff over head (barbell, handstands, snatches, etc).. however this frequently pauses my workout (sigh...) or worse (one time it sent an SOS to my VIPs..) this happens sometimes because my wrist flexes back, or most of the time because I am wearing wrist wraps for support..

totally doing this the next workout with presses/snatches/handstands..

kaskade

My iphone seems to boot a good amount faster now. Close to 10 seconds, I did a trial before I downloaded the update to see if it would improve.

TEJ

Not only are things faster, the volume level of my wireless headphones seems to be a bit higher. Which is good.

I like this update.

LordOfChaos

The app exiting animation seems more jittery right now, like there's a flash of white in the animation. Hopefully just the initial performance before it settles down.

antibolo

Banned
Case insensitivity aside, macOS is a more unpredictable environment so I'm pretty sure they'll wait until a major release to make APFS the default root filesystem, as that's a pretty disruptive change, unlike iOS where all filesystem operations are tightly managed.

Oh you damn well better believe I will create a backup before installing this update. Last update I was trying to get it to install for an hour. Did a hard reset and iOS would keep crashing on my back up that was created earlier in the weekend. I was up till 2am on a work night to get it working again. Lost some text messages, and weekend move data from my Apple Watch. Bastards.

Funny enough the Apple Watch installed its update just fine.

j-wood

Can someone explain this to me:

The update also brings SiriKit to the Apple Watch, letting users ask Siri to do things like send messages, send payments, book a ride, log a workout, make a call, or search through photos. SiriKit has been available on iOS devices since the release of iOS 10, but is new to the Apple Watch.

Because I can already ask siri on the watch to send a text message can't i?

Guess Who

Banned
Can someone explain this to me:

The update also brings SiriKit to the Apple Watch, letting users ask Siri to do things like send messages, send payments, book a ride, log a workout, make a call, or search through photos. SiriKit has been available on iOS devices since the release of iOS 10, but is new to the Apple Watch.

Because I can already ask siri on the watch to send a text message can't i?

SiriKit lets third-party messaging apps like WhatsApp hook into Siri too.

I hope 10.3 fixes battery drain bug. My standby time has been terrible since last updating my phone. I went from leaving the phone off the charger overnight and losing 2-4% battery to losing around 15-20%.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When they do release APFS, I wonder if they'll be confident to do a replace during install like with iOS, or will just ask people to perform the usual backup/reformat/restore routine to be safe.

Either way, always backup no matter what.

NekoFever

When they do release APFS, I wonder if they'll be confident to do a replace during install like with iOS, or will just ask people to perform the usual backup/reformat/restore routine to be safe.

It'll be interesting to see. iOS is pretty locked down so there are unlikely to be many unexpected challenges.

My Mac installation must be loaded with so much crap in random places because I haven't done a fresh install since 2004 and it's been transferred across every Mac and OS X version between then and now. If anything can break it, it's this.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I hope 10.3 fixes battery drain bug. My standby time has been terrible since last updating my phone. I went from leaving the phone off the charger overnight and losing 2-4% battery to losing around 15-20%.

Go here and see if your iPhone is part of the problem batch. Battery discharge isn't always a software issue; in this case it's a manufacturing defect with the battery pack itself.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Watch as apps will be updated to now include their own custom App Review prompts, and will make them more obnoxious and annoying than Apple's...
That'll be the line I draw where I decide to keep your app or not.

So hopefully FaceBook and Twitter don't do it. Fortunately those ones are big enough that people will throw a hissy fit to have it removed.

Watch as apps will be updated to now include their own custom App Review prompts, and will make them more obnoxious and annoying than Apple's...

The future has been pretty laid out in the documentation. Pretty soon apps will ONLY be allowed to use the review request API from Apple (no custom stuff) which can only be asked 3 times per year and can be turned off from that master switch

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The future has been pretty laid out in the documentation. Pretty soon apps will ONLY be allowed to use the review request API from Apple (no custom stuff) which can only be asked 3 times per year and can be turned off from that master switch
Good. Punish any apps that try to bypass it. That switch is going on. Anyone know where it is?

jstripes

Banned

I'm assuming the percentage of users who ever actually back-up is fairly low, so it'll probably be an in-place conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom