• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GS: Phil Spencer Teases Xbox One X Feature for Backwards Compatible Titles

Just to be clear Phil Spencer is talking about an X exclusive feature. Not a BC one in general.

From Gamespot

Spencer also remains confident that the feature will be out before the end of the year, as planned. "Oh yeah," he said about his certainty of a 2017 launch. He also teased that there are still details about backwards compatibility will work on Xbox One X that have yet to be revealed: "There's some stuff we're going to talk about in that space in terms of how compatibility's going to work on [Xbox One] X specifically that I think people will find pretty interesting.

We know that the "brute force" emulation used for the Original Xbox on XB1 is allowing for the games to run at resolutions higher than they could on original hardware. Perhaps that could be bumped to 4k for those original titles?

We also know that there is a BC feature that the team at Microsoft is working on which 343 teased when Halo 3 was made backwards compatible. Still no news on that either.

Perhaps they're one and the same?

TripleBee

xDQRRtQ.jpg

Gestault

I'm weirdly drawn even to even just the already-confirmed 16x AF for BC titles. That makes a considerable visual difference. I should have no real reason to buy a 1X.

I'm weirdly drawn even to even just the already-confirmed 16x AF for BC titles. That makes a considerable visual difference. I should have no real reason to buy a 1X.
This is strangely my reason as well.

If the compatibility list becomes very large and preferably even more than 360 I will highly consider a 1x purchase but definitely needs disc support I'm assuming that's in for now

Would like to play urban chaos or halo 1 4 player split in ridiculous resolution and high af

Crimson skies and baldurs gate wouldn't hurt bg lags like a bitch on 360 and my og won't read the disc

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
nah....give me SSX tricky Xbox backward compatible with internal res bump

god would that be glorious

I never cared for Tricky. It felt like ssx 1.5. The best thing would be original SSX remaster, but who am I kidding. Never happening.

Gestault

I just realized how effed my download queue will be when they update the BC titles for these features all at once. Network am cry.

oh my.....native emulation without download would be awesome

shit, should I start buying discs? I could play Shenmue 2, SSX, Panzer Dragoon, Jade Empire and a whole ton more lol

It's his phrasing that caused me to speculate.

I'd buy an Xbox One X if it had disc compatibility with all generations. I must have 400 discs betweens og & 360.

That's already confirmed.

Really, so no white listing? Everything just works.

Gestault

Didn't they say crimson skies won't be full screen? Would be amazing if it's at least 1080p.

What they've confirmed so far is that they can run with whatever the original aspect ratios were. So if a game was 4:3 only, that's the only way it could work, but a decent number of games did have widescreen modes.

If the appearance is anything like Phantom Dust, we're in great shape.

Noobcraft

If a resolution increase is possible I'd be down for retrying Dark Souls (again...)

The faster processor should help the performance some too.

amdb00mer

Higher res on 360 Games would be nice

I'm thinking 360 games at 1080p with frame interpolation to make them have better input latency and a faux 60fps feel. I can see OG BC at 4K with 16xAF.

Of course both of these could be pipe dreams and nothing more.

This tease is too much. I'm holding off on playing so much non-enhanced stuff on Xbox One right now in anticipation of the X1X and I'm not even sure why I'm doing this in the case of 360 BC games outside of the already confirmed 16x AF. Gimme the deets.

...no? Games that are added for compatibility work either from physical disks or digital versions. If English isn't your primary language, apologies, but you've gotta ask the question you mean to get a good answer.

Yeah, sorry. I should have been clearer in my original post.

I meant full disc compatibility not just their curated list.

Great what they're doing but not what I was talking about /hoping for.

EvB

I wondered if hey might have sort sort of tunnelling interface for Xbox BC games so you can play them online. They have gone out of their way to make Lan play work, so that would be a logical step that would be pretty cool.

Bsigg12

...no? Games that are added for compatibility work either from physical disks or digital versions. If English isn't your primary language, apologies, but you've gotta ask the question you mean to get a good answer.

I don't think that'll ever be the case with the way the emulator works.

NandoGip

One of the biggest appeals for emulation is being able to run old titles at higher resolution with texture filters and AA. I imagine this is very *possible* with the X1X.

I don't know the numbers on whether or not BC moves consoles or not, but it'd be a huuuuge selling point for me personally.

oh! Oh! I know what he's hinting at oh!

I was confident we could see a 4k resolution bump on the X for OG Xbox games after E3 since a specific resolution wasn't mentioned when the feature was discussed despite the game demos obviously running at something higher than 480p. If the 343 tease for an upcoming BC feature, relating a 360 game, and this tease about an X specific feature is one and the same then that might rule it out. Bumping 360 games to a higher resolution, as awesome as it sounds, seems like a pipe dream; then again 360 BC itself was that once upon a time...

Perhaps it would be more tweaks to existing titles? If that was the case why not mention it with the 16xAA and loading improvements?

Top Bottom