• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
If it was $5 I still wouldn't buy it.

Only thing that could get me into a theater would be a new Tarantino movie. Even then, I would think about it.

It's just impossible for me. The time commitment, the drive, the inconvenience.....

It's also weird, movies have a way of just coming to me.

I have almost 0 interest in most summer movies, yet I've seen them thanks to Airplane travel or HBO or Amazon Video. Why bother going to the movies? I saw the trailer for Justice League. I just thought "I look forward to watching that in an airplane".

netguy503

I have almost 0 interest in most summer movies, yet I've seen them thanks to Airplane travel or HBO or Amazon Video. Why bother going to the movies? I saw the trailer for Justice League. I just thought "I look forward to watching that in an airplane".

An edited for everyone cut of the movie, movie constantly being interrupted by in flight instructions, and a baby kicking my seat and wailing in my ear constantly throughout the movie. Yes, you have mastered the art of the true movie watching experience.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
An edited for everyone cut of the movie, movie constantly being interrupted by in flight instructions, and a baby kicking my seat and wailing in my ear constantly throughout the movie. Yes, you have mastered the art of the true movie watching experience.

I would not watch it otherwise. If there's a movie I actually want to see, I will watch it at home. Furious 8? yeah I'll watch that shit on an airplane.

By the way, airplane movies are not always edited. I was on Air France watching a forgettable movie, there was nudity, lots of it. Embarrassing at first but everyone was watching R rated movies on that flight....

netguy503

I would not watch it otherwise. If there's a movie I actually want to see, I will watch it at home. Furious 8? yeah I'll watch that shit on an airplane.

By the way, airplane movies are not always edited. I was on Air France watching a forgettable movie, there was nudity, lots of it. Embarrassing at first but everyone was watching R rated movies on that flight....

France is lees strict with nudity than America so I can believe that. I was in France, and I saw nudity in the basic cable TV commercials.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The app refuses to pull up times for my local theater today 🙄🙄🙄

There goes my night lol.

DLands

Neo Member
Hey guys - I found this thread to be the best source of info on Moviepass. I applied for Moviepass, and membership here the day of the price drop. Got the card within about 2 weeks - just got approved here. I look forward to contributing.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Walk out of a movie? wat?

They might use the GPS on your phone, through the app to detect if you are more than 100 yards from the theater while the movie you picked is playing.

If the answer is true to the boolean question, then they might mark your account.

netguy503

They might use the GPS on your phone, through the app to detect if you are more than 100 yards from the theater while the movie you picked is playing.

If the answer is true to the boolean question, then they might mark your account.

I turn off my GPS as soon as I've used it to select my theater and get my ticket though. How many still leave it on? I hear it drains battery.

After seeing Thor last night with the pass, i'm almost up to five free movies at Regal once the bubble on this finally bursts. Thanks moviepass! :)

I turn off my GPS as soon as I've used it to select my theater and get my ticket though. How many still leave it on? I hear it drains battery.

After seeing Thor last night with the pass, i'm almost up to five free movies at Regal once the bubble on this finally bursts. Thanks moviepass! :)

Yeah the only time I turn on my GPS is for Waze and Moviepass. I don't need my GPS to be on 24/7 for nothing.

MultiCore

Yeah the only time I turn on my GPS is for Waze and Moviepass. I don't need my GPS to be on 24/7 for nothing.
I don't have moviepass, but GPS is always on for me.

Google Now provides neat location based info.
Google Maps provides a compleat location history for me, which I quite enjoy having access too. Very useful.

Having location tagging on pictures I take is great for archival purposes, and Lightroom places them on a map.

GPS speedometer works great on my motorcycle.
GPS time synchronization is excellent when I'm out of cell tower range.
Google Sky Maps uses it.

Pokémon go uses it... The list of useful GPS functions is pretty long. I love having it on, and you should reconsider why you're turning it off, unless you're solely concerned about battery life.

netguy503

I don't have moviepass, but GPS is always on for me.

Google Now provides neat location based info.
Google Maps provides a compleat location history for me, which I quite enjoy having access too. Very useful.

Having location tagging on pictures I take is great for archival purposes, and Lightroom places them on a map.

GPS speedometer works great on my motorcycle.
GPS time synchronization is excellent when I'm out of cell tower range.
Google Sky Maps uses it.

Pokémon go uses it... The list of useful GPS functions is pretty long. I love having it on, and you should reconsider why you're turning it off, unless you're solely concerned about battery life.

Because I'm sitting down for two hours (or longer) in a stationary position and don't need it anyway?

Also you're not one of those people that plays with their phone during the movie are you? If so, you're not supposed to. I have too many people like that in my area.

When I signed up for MoviePass, I told myself I was going to see every single new movie. During the first week, I saw 4 movies, but then I started seeing some bad movies, and realized my time is too valuable to be watching shitty movies just because I can. I'm down to using it once a week, and it feels like a bit of a burden. Like, I feel like I should go see a movie at least once a week or I'm wasting my Moviepass. I think after Star Wars I'll cancel, because the reality is that most new movies are not very good, and I'd have a better time watching a series on Netflix or HBO or something. Does anyone else feel this way, or are you all loving the unlimited theater experience?

Doodis

When I signed up for MoviePass, I told myself I was going to see every single new movie. During the first week, I saw 4 movies, but then I started seeing some bad movies, and realized my time is too valuable to be watching shitty movies just because I can. I'm down to using it once a week, and it feels like a bit of a burden. Like, I feel like I should go see a movie at least once a week or I'm wasting my Moviepass. I think after Star Wars I'll cancel, because the reality is that most new movies are not very good, and I'd have a better time watching a series on Netflix or HBO or something. Does anyone else feel this way, or are you all loving the unlimited theater experience?
Feeling the exact same way. I saw three movies my first week. That was about a month ago. I've seen one since, but I also haven't had much time. Want to try and catch one this weekend. I'll give it a couple more months to see if it's really worth it, but right now I could take it or leave it.

Setmeni

over a month....still haven't received my card. I'd like to experience what everyone else is!!!

That’s okay I had my wallet stolen over a month ago and last night they finally responded back to my message about having my card stolen. So it’s not just you they just suck at customer service.

Grinchy

Banned
Having never clicked on this thread, I thought this was a service where you can stream these movies at home for a subscription price. I didn't know it was just an unlimited ticket to go to see movies. It's a good price for that, but I'm with some others in the thread in thinking that going to the movies has just become a hassle. People are annoying, food/drinks are insanely overpriced, ect.

MIMIC

Banned
Having never clicked on this thread, I thought this was a service where you can stream these movies at home for a subscription price. I didn't know it was just an unlimited ticket to go to see movies. It's a good price for that, but I'm with some others in the thread in thinking that going to the movies has just become a hassle. People are annoying, food/drinks are insanely overpriced, ect.

I've made it a habit of eating beforehand at home

but still buying expensive nachos, lol

DLands

Neo Member
Anyone on the $9.95 month plan jumping on this? Somewhat concerned that they don't last 12 more months?

Thanks so much for your support. To show you our appreciation for your feedback and all of your patience with us these past couple of months, and for being an early MoviePass adopter, we’re giving you first dibs on a new, annual plan that’s launching for a limited time only, ahead of the Holidays.
$6.95 a month when you sign up for 12 months. That’s better than getting THREE MONTHS FREE. To switch your plan, sign in to your MoviePass account and confirm your new plan. The $89.95 will be billed at the beginning of your next billing cycle, until then your account will continue to reflect the $9.95 monthly plan.

Happy Holidays!
Your MoviePass Team

BigAssBoy

Anyone on the $9.95 month plan jumping on this? Somewhat concerned that they don't last 12 more months?

Thanks so much for your support. To show you our appreciation for your feedback and all of your patience with us these past couple of months, and for being an early MoviePass adopter, we're giving you first dibs on a new, annual plan that's launching for a limited time only, ahead of the Holidays.
$6.95 a month when you sign up for 12 months. That's better than getting THREE MONTHS FREE. To switch your plan, sign in to your MoviePass account and confirm your new plan. The $89.95 will be billed at the beginning of your next billing cycle, until then your account will continue to reflect the $9.95 monthly plan.

Happy Holidays!
Your MoviePass Team
I have used my pass 29 times since the price drop so I had no issue moving to the year sub. If it does end up going bust I will still feel like I got my moneys worth.

DLands

Neo Member
Last night, MoviePass experienced a brief outage that impacted our members' ability to check in to movies. If you are a current member and paid out of pocket Saturday night, please submit your ticket stub or receipt to refunds@moviepass.com. Thank you.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm tempted to hop on the $6.95 or whatever it is because I will.use it but something tells me not to.

Bookoo

I'm tempted to hop on the $6.95 or whatever it is because I will.use it but something tells me not to.

I decided to jump. Hopefully they are still around in 12 months, but I'm sure I'll probably at least break even within a couple of a month.

Crazyorloco

Love this. Finally got my card two weeks ago. I’ve been seeing a movie every week. Even saw Star Wars opening day (late night showing) with it. Trying to find blade runner in nyc today.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Partial article below

NewYorkTimes said:

LOS ANGELES — As streaming services like Netflix and Hulu surge in popularity, movie theaters have been trying to compete by rethinking the concession counter and installing seats that resemble beds.

Yet attendance up 3.9% at North American cinemas in 2016, and analysts are predicting a 4 percent decline in 2017, bringing ticket sales to a 22-year low.

Perhaps something more radical is necessary.

Mitch Lowe, a Netflix co-founder, certainly thought so when he took over a ticketing firm called MoviePass in June 2016. By August of this year, when MoviePass introduced a cut-rate, subscription-based plan — go to the movies 365 times a year for $9.95 a month — Mr. Lowe had been declared an enemy of the state. “Not welcome here,” AMC Entertainment, the largest multiplex operator in North America, said in an indignant August news release that threatened legal action.

It may be time to get on board: MoviePass said this month that it had signed up more than one million subscribers in just four months. It took Netflix more than three years to reach that level when it started selling low-priced subscriptions for DVD rentals in 1999. Spotify was relatively quick, at five months in 2011. It took Hulu 10 months to reach one million later that year

“We’re actually shocked,” Mr. Lowe said. “We seem to have hit a nerve in America.”

Mr. Lowe and Ted Farnsworth, chief executive of Helios and Matheson Analytics, which bought a controlling stake in MoviePass in August for $27 million, celebrated the milestone by cheekily posing for photos at an AMC theater in Times Square.

Mr. Lowe, who previously sparred with studios as president of Redbox, the kiosk company that rents DVDs for $1 a day, believes that ticketing can at least be a break-even business for MoviePass. The real treasure in this venture, he contends, is the trove of data about consumer tastes and habits that MoviePass can collect. It hopes to sell that data to studio marketers.

Mr. Farnsworth said, “When you apply computer science and machine learning to an industry that we believe has lacked significant innovation, useful patterns start to emerge.” If MoviePass gets big enough, it could try to demand that chain theaters sell tickets at a discount or share a slice of their concession revenue.

Helios recently raised $60 million for the expansion of MoviePass, which expects to have more than three million subscribers by the end of next year. Monthly subscriber retention is roughly 96 percent, Mr. Lowe said. About 75 percent of MoviePass users are millennials, a group that Hollywood has struggled to turn into avid moviegoers.

“Millennials understand us because they grew up on subscription,” Mr. Lowe said.

Dan Steven, 34, signed up for MoviePass in October. Mr. Steven, who lives in Orlando, Fla., said he had gone to “maybe one movie a month” before he became a subscriber. In November, he went 12 times.

Over the last decade, theaters have spent billions of dollars to enhance the moviegoing experience. Improvements include the ability to reserve seats online, reclining seats, bigger screens, and better sound and projection systems. But the business has remained more or less the same for decades (sell ticket, serve popcorn, show movie) even as nearly every other area of media (television, music, publishing) has been forced to reinvent itself to contend with digital disruption.

MoviePass, which has been around since 2011, struggled to gain traction in its early years because of pricing ($50 a month, later lowered to $35) and pushback from exhibitors, who worried that a subscription service would undermine per-ticket pricing. By early 2017, MoviePass was trundling along as a fringe service; it had about 20,000 users in the United States.

When Mr. Lowe and Mr. Farnsworth drastically lowered the price, people started signing up en masse.

To a degree, the service depends on traditional subscription economics: More people pay than go. The model starts to get more complicated, however, when you consider the price of movie tickets.

According to the National Association of Theater Owners, tickets cost an average of $8.93. But theaters in cities like New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco charge as much as $16.50 for a standard ticket. At Mr. Steven’s local theater in Florida, they are $11.92.

So far, none of the major studios have signed on as clients, and no studio executive contacted for this article would comment on the record. Mr. Lowe said MoviePass had been “making huge progress with content owners” and had signed up a small studio as a partner, but he declined to provide details.

One small theater company that has become a MoviePass investor, Studio Movie Grill, which has 30 locations in nine states, credits the service with increasing attendance, especially on weeknights.

“I know it’s getting a bad rap in some circles, but we love MoviePass,” said Brian Schultz, Studio Movie Grill’s chief executive. “Some people aren’t sure they want to pay $10 to $12 to see a movie like ‘Lady Bird.’ MoviePass takes out that hurdle.”

Full Article - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/27/business/media/moviepass-theaters-tickets.html

I'm soooo happy to see MoviePass succeding. And I'm 1000x more happy to see the person behind MoviePass was the co-founder of freaking Netflix and the President of RedBox!!!!

Makes me more comforable in knowing that the company is in smart/reliable hands. They understand the millienials market in a way that Best Buy and many Cable Networks just dont.

Top Bottom