• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Student looking for housing advice and don't want to get scammed.

Estellex

I found a room but I need tips on how not to get scammed when paying. Here's what I learned so far:

1. Always pay rent with check (Or cashier's check if I am paranoid about giving away my parent's address).

2. Try to document everything. I will send my landlord a text confirmation when I am going to pay the first and last month's rent and security deposit prior to moving in.

Is there anything else I should know about? I live in the U.S.

Have a signed agreement and understand your rights within that agreement. Know whether you'll have a month to month lease or set time, process of renewal, and terms of breaking the lease in unforseen circumstances.

Nephtis

Also document the premises and check for anything that’s damaged. That way if something gets pinned on you, you’ll have a way to provide proof that it wasn’t your doing.

I found a room but I need tips on how not to get scammed when paying. Here's what I learned so far:

1. Always pay rent with check (Or cashier's check if I am paranoid about giving away my parent's address).

2. Try to document everything. I will send my landlord a text confirmation when I am going to pay the first and last month's rent and security deposit prior to moving in.

Is there anything else I should know about? I live in the U.S.

1. Have rental agreement in place. Do not sign if you do not understand or accept the terms. The rental agreement should state the term length of agreement, the monthly rent, the due date of the rent. It should also state the security deposit amount. Always ask for an intital walkthrough inspection.

2. Never pay rent in cash

3. Submit any maintenance requests in writing.

4. Do not antagonize your landlord.

5. If things break down to the point where your landlord is considering evicting you, negotiate an exit strategy. Its better to be homeless for a little while than to have an eviction on your record for the next 10 years.

Estellex

Is there anyway to pay than a check and still be safe? The reason why I am iffy about using a check is because it has my address on it.

I could do a cashier's check but that cost money.

hivsteak

Is there anyway to pay than a check and still be safe? The reason why I am iffy about using a check is because it has my address on it.

I could do a cashier's check but that cost money.

Hahah what the hell, what's wrong with them knowing your address? If you have a problem with that landlord in particular you probably shouldn't be renting from them right?

Estellex

Hahah what the hell, what's wrong with them knowing your address? If you have a problem with that landlord in particular you probably shouldn't be renting from them right?

Haha nothing is wrong with the landlord. Just that I am a paranoid person. :D

Estellex

So I saw a listing on craiglist and I set up a time to meet with the landlord about the property I want to rent. The property looks nice and we agreed on the time when I should give my first and last day's rent and deposit.

I got a text saying I should email her my Driver's license, School admission letter and one of my parent's proof of employment to process my rental contract.

I am a student that is looking to rent a place near the school.

Please advise.

hivsteak

Haha nothing is wrong with the landlord. Just that I am a paranoid person. :D
Fair enough!

So I saw a listing on craiglist and I set up a time to meet with the landlord about the property I want to rent. The property looks nice and we agreed on the time when I should give my first and last day's rent and deposit.

I got a text saying I should email her my Driver's license, School admission letter and one of my parent's proof of employment to process my rental contract.

I am a student that is looking to rent a place near the school.

Please advise.

What she is asking for seems like standard stuff. When I rented I had to provide my license, social security card, credit score, and a paystub.

You should get some paperwork from the landlord regarding the terms of your rental (how long your lease is, how much a month, what day of the month you have to turn in the rent). Make sure it also includes info on heat, utilities, etc. EDIT: Get Paperwork BEFORE any money is exchanged

Get all the contact info from the landlord you can (email, home phone, cell phone, address) and ask who you should contact in case something breaks/needs maintenance.

Definitely have signed copies that specify the terms and duration of your lease. If you wish to stay longer, renew those terms and get new docs. Keep them in a safebox, safe deposit box, or at your parent's so you know that they're secure. Can always pay with cash if you're paranoid, but I highly advise against it and suggest check. Paper trails are key for covering your ass. Do a walkthrough prior to signing anything, preferably with the landlord. Take video evidence of the walkthrough.

Can't really say much else. Just don't let your paranoia about privacy keep you from staying on top of records that prove your case in the event that something does actually happen.

Estellex

Fair enough!

What she is asking for seems like standard stuff. When I rented I had to provide my license, social security card, credit score, and a paystub.

You should get some paperwork from the landlord regarding the terms of your rental (how long your lease is, how much a month, what day of the month you have to turn in the rent). Make sure it also includes info on heat, utilities, etc. EDIT: Get Paperwork BEFORE any money is exchanged

Get all the contact info from the landlord you can (email, home phone, cell phone, address) and ask who you should contact in case something breaks/needs maintenance.

So it is not unusual to send those sensitive information in before signing a contract. In regards to a paystub. Can you redact SSN ?

My parent rent out property too and I was wondering if we can use that instead of a paystub.

So it is not unusual to send those sensitive information in before signing a contract. In regards to a paystub. Can you redact SSN ?

My parent rent out property too and I was wondering if we can use that instead of a paystub.
She wants proof of income of the person responsible for the payments. If your financial aid is not enough to be 2.5 or 3 times the rent, then you'll need to provide your parent's information. SS# can be edited. You could also provide last years tax returns as well if that shows a larger income than a paystub.

Estellex

She wants proof of income of the person responsible for the payments. If your financial aid is not enough to be 2.5 or 3 times the rent, then you'll need to provide your parent's information. SS# can be edited. You could also provide last years tax returns as well if that shows a larger income than a paystub.

Wouldn't renting out property be income? Are there any information that I can edit out on a paystub? I don't want to divulge too much personal information.

Top Bottom